Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

head58 posted:

The meta is in a weird place right now, shifting to accommodate tauntauns and dewbacks, and reacting to lists that are built to handle tauntauns and dewbacks.

I’d recommend a box or two of rebel veterans (they’re corps units who are superior to vanilla rebel troopers), pathfinders (snipers get work done), and tauntauns (the new hotness).

And if you do podcasts, the Notorious Scoundrels is one on competitive play. Fifth Trooper a little less so. Legion Outpost is at the other end, more casual funtimes goofball stuff.

Very cool, thanks! Those three things shall be next month's purchases. I'll check out the podcasts, too.

When you mention the snipers, you're talking about the two-man strike team?

Edit: Also, are there any units that are just straight up bad? I've not seen many good things about Wookiee Troopers.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

When you mention the snipers, you're talking about the two-man strike team?

Edit: Also, are there any units that are just straight up bad? I've not seen many good things about Wookiee Troopers.

Yeah snipers mean the two man strike team, which they actually just nerfed in their first pass with points balancing; https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/5/tactical-maintenance/
The meta has been to run two or three of these bastards since they provide some pretty consistent damage, suppression, board-wide control and an increased number of activations/order tokens. Bumping up the points and placing a range 5 limit on their rifles will hopefully result in people running maybe one to two as a supplementary support piece like they were intended.

Directly related to the points changes, previously the "bad" units were basically the launch vehicles which included the AT-ST, AT-RT, snowspeeder and speeder bikes. They really overcosted them and undervalued the important of instead just having more bodies on the field to play the objectives, and this balance pass also brings them in line pretty well. Wookies certainly aren't bad at all, but they can be hard to fit in rebel lists just because they tend to not want a lot of larger more expensive units, and instead want the bulk of their army to be slightly more quantity over quality. Tauntauns just dropped and so far seem to be unfortunately pretty overpowered with an insane action economy and versatility that lets them tie up the opponent's front line like nothing else, and as such are sort of eating the wookies' lunch right now. That said everything is ultimately viable and relatively well balanced overall when you don't approach it from an absolute min-max attitude. Stuff is more or less worth its point cost and can do work if played right.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Got my first 800 points! Which is mostly a combination of "I want to see what this does" and "models I own."

Luke
- Battle Meditation
- Force Push
- Emergency Stimms

Leia
- Commanding Presence
- Esteemed Leader

Sabine
- Endurance
- Recon Intel
- Electro Grappling Line
-The Darksaber

Rebel Troopers
- Z-6 Trooper
- 2-1B Droid

2x Rebel Troopers
- Z-6 Trooper
- Recon Intel

Rebel Veterans
- CM-093 Trooper
- Rebel Officer Upgrade

Rebel Commando Strike Team
- DH-447 Sniper

I'd like to use my AT-RT, but at the same time I think I'd like to use two AT-RTs and I don't have a second.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I haven't played this in a while but I got invited to a crafting weekend with my gal and figured I could work on my painting backlog.

I gotta say Contrast paints are magic.

Stormtroopers were just rattlecan white, white contrast paint, contrast black on guns and gloves, second pass with a smaller brush for helmet line and goggles, then as a final touch I added a spot of gloss varnish to lenses.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Very hard sync. I've just got some white and black contrast paint and I've done two stormtroopers, deathtroopers, a clone unit and some hoth rebels in a week and a bit. And with a steady hand it looks more than good enough.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Do the whites not solidify in the pot like the citadel paints do? If that’s the case, I want in :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Contrast black (Black Templar) is an amazing color. Apparently the same is true of Apothecary White but I haven't used it yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Icon Of Sin posted:

Do the whites not solidify in the pot like the citadel paints do? If that’s the case, I want in :v:

Contrast paints are basically thicker washes so you can use them straight up so yeah they remain very liquidy.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I've spent a lot of money and tons of hours painting to get into this game. Despite this, I've only played it a grand total of two times. And I have to say that those times left me a bit underwhelmed with the game. Despite playing with two different objectives, the deciding factor in both games were who managed to kill more of the other persons dudes. I don't think either of us deliberately tried to make it a game about killing each other, but that almost seemed inevitable for some reason. If the other person had troops nearby, it rarely seemed strategic to do anything other than either avoiding or engaging those units. So my impression from those two games is that this game seems to be lacking in strategic options. And that the different actions don't really expand those options in a meaningful way. Never did it seem like a good use of my two actions to take a dodge token for instance. Almost the same for standby and focus (or is it called aim?).

I'm very eager to be proven wrong in this, as I really want to love this game. So maybe all I need are som general pointers on how to play more strategically? Any good resources for that? Or other tips for enjoying this game?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure about what type of resources are out there to help, but for what it's worth I've played pretty obsessively since launch and like talking about it whenever I get the chance.

A big chunk of the strategic element of the game is giving a lot of consideration to the command card and subsequent issued orders versus your randomized pool, which then flows into sequence of activation. What I've seen really commonly with newer players is that they don't realize how an exposed unit that was activated early is more or less dead meat. There tends to be an undervaluing of cover and other defensive elements like dodging or positioning sturdier guardian units nearby. More survivable units like heavy vehicles, creature troopers, and dudes with lightsabers are all good for punching into the enemy line but even then they need to be defensively minded as they advance. So as kind of just a cursory statement without having specifics about the battlefield setups or your armies, that's my broad blanket advice; Think more about preserving your guys and playing the objective and stuff will likely fall into place better. Those snowball-y deathmatch types games tend to stem from players making arbitrary moves and big swingy unit-wiping hits that you want to actively try and avoid with that more defensive play style. This is also going off of saying you don't see the value in a dodge or aim token. Every wound is pretty relevant when you've got units that range from 4 to 6 models, and there's a world of difference between one just standing there and one in heavy cover with a dodge token. Likewise with an aim token when you're the one taking the shot. You're right with standby though, it's a very situational action that you'll almost never want to use. All of that kind of just comes with experience though, and figuring out ideal sequencing and what to activate when and all that.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

uncle blog posted:

I've spent a lot of money and tons of hours painting to get into this game. Despite this, I've only played it a grand total of two times. And I have to say that those times left me a bit underwhelmed with the game. Despite playing with two different objectives, the deciding factor in both games were who managed to kill more of the other persons dudes. I don't think either of us deliberately tried to make it a game about killing each other, but that almost seemed inevitable for some reason. If the other person had troops nearby, it rarely seemed strategic to do anything other than either avoiding or engaging those units. So my impression from those two games is that this game seems to be lacking in strategic options. And that the different actions don't really expand those options in a meaningful way. Never did it seem like a good use of my two actions to take a dodge token for instance. Almost the same for standby and focus (or is it called aim?).

I'm very eager to be proven wrong in this, as I really want to love this game. So maybe all I need are som general pointers on how to play more strategically? Any good resources for that? Or other tips for enjoying this game?
The game is very strategic, but a big part of stalrategy is killing units. I would say many more high level games are decided by objectives and not kill points, but kill points are always a relevant factor. Like, if your up on kill points you're ok pulling back and letting your opponent stick their head out. So, although a game might end with one army mostly destroyed and the winning army in ok condition, you shouldn't think that the game is decided by killing, but that the loser got behind on the objective and had to play increasingly desperately while the other player could stay safe and shoot. Often game by game strategy comes down to objectives and army composition, sometimes your army can't compete on the objective, sometimes it can.

Sabotage the Vaporators usually comes down to kill points because there's only 4 objectives, nominally 2 per player. Breakthrough also often ends in stalemate unless you have fast moving units like Boba, Sabine, Bikes or Taun Tauns that threaten to swoop on the last turn. The others usually don't, as they both have an odd number of objectives. (also ensure you look up the errata for Key Positions, because the original printing was broken af and massively favoured blue player)

Dodges are bad actions generally, because you want to position your units in places where they can move out of range or Los, so spending that action on a move to a safe place and taking no shots is always better. Caveat is when a unit has to be in the open to score an objective, or it gets dodges for free. The clones also don't mind dodging as they share tokens. But yeah, imperials like to stand aim and shoot, and rebels like to shoot and scoot.

Good online resources are the blogs and articles on The Fifth Trooper network. Best competitive podcast is The Notorious Scoundrels. Twitch channel yavinbase has casted Tabletop Simulator games, with good analysis commentary. Finally, the Legion Discord is a good resource for chatting strategy, and also good at clearing up rules questions in timely fashion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm not sure about what type of resources are out there to help, but for what it's worth I've played pretty obsessively since launch and like talking about it whenever I get the chance.

A big chunk of the strategic element of the game is giving a lot of consideration to the command card and subsequent issued orders versus your randomized pool, which then flows into sequence of activation. What I've seen really commonly with newer players is that they don't realize how an exposed unit that was activated early is more or less dead meat. There tends to be an undervaluing of cover and other defensive elements like dodging or positioning sturdier guardian units nearby. More survivable units like heavy vehicles, creature troopers, and dudes with lightsabers are all good for punching into the enemy line but even then they need to be defensively minded as they advance. So as kind of just a cursory statement without having specifics about the battlefield setups or your armies, that's my broad blanket advice; Think more about preserving your guys and playing the objective and stuff will likely fall into place better. Those snowball-y deathmatch types games tend to stem from players making arbitrary moves and big swingy unit-wiping hits that you want to actively try and avoid with that more defensive play style. This is also going off of saying you don't see the value in a dodge or aim token. Every wound is pretty relevant when you've got units that range from 4 to 6 models, and there's a world of difference between one just standing there and one in heavy cover with a dodge token. Likewise with an aim token when you're the one taking the shot. You're right with standby though, it's a very situational action that you'll almost never want to use. All of that kind of just comes with experience though, and figuring out ideal sequencing and what to activate when and all that.

Man, that's certainly true. You don't realize quite how fragile your (by which I mean my) Rebel troopers are just hanging out in front of the Force and everybody until Boba jumps down and blasts them away. And it can be overwhelming a bit (speaking as somebody who just played their first game) to figure out all the moving parts and how they fit together.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think the factions are well balanced at a high level of play, but also Rebels (and now droids) for sure are way less forgiving with the white defense dice. Red defense dice baseline allows for a good bit of slop, and I know personally that was a big part of what attracted me to imperials as my main army at first. Now that I'm in a place where I can comfortably say I'm "pretty good" I've been jonesing to flesh out my rebel stuff. If you're jumping in with rebels I would certainly say you're going in on hard mode and don't get discouraged.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The thing about red vs white dice, is that you're paying for variance. 5 hits vs 5 red dice can still blank out, and those swings really hurt. Red dice also feel really bad vs Jedi that ignore saves. Droids are excellent in this regard because beside Spray weapons, they're essentially impossible to one-shot. And they just laugh at Lightsaber, they weren't gonna save anyway. It's like TIE interceptors vs B-Wings from Xwing. Sometimes the interceptor just will not die and win you the game, other times, something sneezes and puff it's gone. Whereas you can always rely on the Bwing taking a couple of big hits.

Edit: another thing with rebels is that your expensive trooper units are generally traps. Basic Rebel Troopers with a Z-6 are your bread and butter. Pathfinders, Commandos, and Veterans are expensive, hard to use, die easily and feel bad when they do because you're usually trading down (Commando strike teams are excellent though). Rebel characters and support units are very strong however, and a Rebel army should focus on them.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 25, 2019

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
For people talking about contrast white finish it off with a drybrush of the citadel dry paint Praxeti White. It makes it even better.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cara Dune Rebel Shocktrooper Operative when?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A friend and I were talking about splitting the Clone Wars box set but then decided to hold off until more models came out. That said I might break if Ahsoka drops any time soon. (He's already got Destroyer Droids so I'm sure he'd be fine.)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I know FFG love to have gender parity where possible, so I think Asohka will be announced in Dec. Perhaps together with Anakin. She'll only be Padawan though, as I think we'll be seeing a Rebel powered up version at some point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

hoiyes posted:

I know FFG love to have gender parity where possible, so I think Asohka will be announced in Dec. Perhaps together with Anakin. She'll only be Padawan though, as I think we'll be seeing a Rebel powered up version at some point.

Could go either way. Rebels did get that bounty hunter from the cartoon.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Cara Dune Rebel Shocktrooper Operative when?

I'd like to see Shocktroopers as some kind of special forces squad - maybe a small rebel unit with red saves and good close-in weapons?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

With the new "skirmish" format, I'd love to see them add The Mandolorian themed scenario packs and characters, because the scale of the game and a lot of extant releases are still just fine for the post-Endor era they've sketched out in the show. Just add an extra brown recess wash to your stormtroopers and have them fight alongside Moff Gideon and The Client with The Mandolorian, Cara Dune, and some <s>rebel</s> New Republic Squads over a nicely modeled Baby Yoda objective.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The rest of the rebels cast could fit in as well. Maybe a two men squad of Ezra and Kanan, trooper attachment for the rest, maybe Hera as a discount commander like the nameless officer as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Been a while since I've checked in, but are there plans for Ewok characters to finish off the Endor rebel group? Still feels weird having these guys running around without Chewie in the ATST or Paploo stealing a bike.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Been a while since I've checked in, but are there plans for Ewok characters to finish off the Endor rebel group? Still feels weird having these guys running around without Chewie in the ATST or Paploo stealing a bike.

No word of Ewoks yet, no.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BTW, leaked to distributors but not officially announced: Iden Versio (BF2 single player campaign protagonist, basically an Imp Seal Team 6 leader) with whatever her droid was called and Cassian and K2 commander and sidekick expansion.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I need Cassian to fill out my Rebel Scarif list :stwoon:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

BTW, leaked to distributors but not officially announced: Iden Versio (BF2 single player campaign protagonist, basically an Imp Seal Team 6 leader) with whatever her droid was called and Cassian and K2 commander and sidekick expansion.

They've said they will preview 5 brand new expansions in December. So Iden & Dio and Cassian & K2 are likely candidates, plus 3 others. Hoping for clone and droid commandos, and then a wild card.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bigger Luke

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hrm...

*loads up luke.stl, increases scale to 105%*

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hoiyes posted:

They've said they will preview 5 brand new expansions in December. So Iden & Dio and Cassian & K2 are likely candidates, plus 3 others. Hoping for clone and droid commandos, and then a wild card.

Inferno Squad special forces perhaps

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Give us Baze and Chirrut so we can make our little dolls husband and husband, cowards.

Pretty sure Chirrut's gun should throw like 40 red dice with pierce.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

True, it could be a dual faction unit and preserve the whole release symmetry they have going.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Versio and 2-3 operatives (the rest of Inferno) that she gets Teamwork with? Could also make them her entourage (whatever it was called to ignore the rank of a unit when building a list).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

#immediatelystartsrebelarmy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
K2 is only allowed to have a blaster if Cassian is in your army list and gives him permission.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That could be one of his command cards, give K2 a ranged attack

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
1. The legion discord just said that some/all of the preview articles will be going up next week. There were some planned for this week that got delayed by LFL.

2. Join the discord. The devs have said they want to communicate better with the players and have identified the discord as a prime channel. Also good for finding Tabletop Simulator Games. The TTS mod is good. I never liked playing Xwing on Vassal or TTS, because it's a game of millimetres and judgement, but legion is looser and allows premeasuring, and being 3D with trueline of sight, playing on the maps look and feel great.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Link please?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Oh yeah, that's a thing you can do in discord.

https://discord.gg/rubBWF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It sounded like people on the FFG Legion board were expecting an announcement this week, maybe Iden and Cassian? Either way, FFG announced paint sets for the Republic and Separatists instead.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/9/enter-the-clone-wars-1/