Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

this is some strong divorcee energy
It's good proof that hyperindividualism is brain poison.

e: 67 are a British drill group composed of rappers LD, Monkey, Dimzy, Liquez, ASAP and SJ. Tories are scared of their collaborative efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Exioce posted:

Never said it wasn't very bad for society. Or that it shouldn't be corrected.

What are you proposing exactly?

Or are you some kind of masochist wading in here to say the naughty things you know will get you slapped here.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Exioce posted:

Or perhaps it's a Messiah Complex. You're going to save the world from itself, aren't you, Hero.

Your establishment-approved cynicism is no more a sign of intelligence than your blunt barbs about ‘envy’. Think about the words you’re writing, and what they say about you as a person. Is that who you want to be?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Exioce posted:

Sorry for invading your Safe Space echo chamber.

do the attack helicopter meme next

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Exioce posted:

"I tried to tell these goddam SJWs how the world works but just got so triggered" :qq:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

*watching the Lib Dems falling into the toilet, again* there is clearly an appetite for centrism in this country

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It really can't be stressed how much of it is old fuckers thirsting for blood.

Remember it's probable that the majority of people under 50 will vote Labour, do the maths on how popular the Tories are among gammon pensioners

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
If I lick the boot hard enough I might get my own boot one day!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Azza Bamboo posted:

They're a lazy troll who doesn't even have the patience to pull off a Pissflaps

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

We need a horrible goose to chase johnson out of office.

Pretend I found the relevant picture and posted it here, rather than spending 5 minutes fruitlessly googling variants of "untitled goose Boris Johnson Brexit DUP". It was a funny image tho :unsmith:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

pull off a Pissflaps

Has an almost jingle-like ring to it.

P-p-p-pull Off A Pissflaps

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
'sup goons.
I just skipped 2000 posts because I couldn't deal with it.

I shadowed my CLP candidate door-knocking on Monday. I'm in a safe constituency so it's mostly for practice.

Ended up meeting a pro-communist self-described centrist who didn't like Jeremy Corbyn but thought John McDonnell was more moderate.
That's either a level of "better things aren't possible" poisoning I'd never encountered before or thought possible to turn from communist to centrist, or he's received visions of a left so far beyond communism that communism appears to be the centre.

Went out door knocking yesterday without shadowing and... that was stressful. Had to stop and take a breather before knocking at one point so I didn't hyperventilate.
Does it get easier?

Also, how's the news looking? I've been avoiding that since seeing it unfiltered is bad for hope.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

40-45% in polls for Tories confuses the gently caress out of me.

That's almost every other voter. Where the gently caress are they? I can't find them anywhere can you?

I mean, ok i don't hang out with Tories. But even if I look at the Tory fucks in my team.

1 is "can't be arsed with it they are all terrible I'm not voting"
1 is "I voted leave but all the homeless is really bad and we've had long enough of Tories so I think I'm voting labour"
1 is "eh I'll still vote tory"
1 is "Thatcher did nothing wrong, jez is an anti remote blah blah blah"

That's not a poll of everyone that's just the 4 people who are full on torys and voted tory in 17.

Where are these supposed hordes of Tories?

If a pollster called me up to ask, I would lie and say Tories just to gently caress with them.
It's me. I'm the 25% of pure bullshit that make up any poll.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Azza Bamboo posted:

Or are you some kind of masochist wading in here to say the naughty things you know will get you slapped here.

End austerity. Tax the rich more. Don't drink from the kool-aid.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Exioce posted:

awww are you gonna cry? can't manage to win an argument so you hide behind these tired platitudes to disguise your cowardice. if Binky wants his bottle I'm sure you can find it elsewhere

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pretend I found the relevant picture and posted it here, rather than spending 5 minutes fruitlessly googling variants of "untitled goose Boris Johnson Brexit DUP". It was a funny image tho :unsmith:

Not sure if it’s what you’re thinking of but this was in the replies to that tweet:

https://twitter.com/stephengraves/status/1202543789153411073?s=20

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Exioce posted:

lmao sorry for forcing you to leave yours

Exioce posted:

End austerity. Tax the rich more. Don't drink from the kool-aid.

ah, I see you are a labour voter

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Labour can't win under that antisemite Corbyn, the only one who can win is *checks notes* someone doing a congratulatory talk on a woman who explicitly praised Hitler for trying to murder all the Jews.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Flipswitch posted:

This is the bit i'm wary about, how much the right wing press would interfere with a Labour government.

If Labour gets into office, there's little they can actually do outside of screaming impotently, or explicitly trying to encourage people to enact a coup/murder MPs, and I don't think even they'd get away with the latter for long.

And outside of an election, there's only so far they can carry the smears and have them impact in any meaningful way - I mean two frontpages of "JOREMIE CROYBIN DOESN'T WATCH THE QUIM'S PEACH" for gently caress's sake - and at best they can only attempt spin of "Good thing? Actually, bad!", which loses any effectiveness if people actually experience their lives improving.

Add in the declining readership, general lack of readership among the young, overall lack of trust in journalists, and the potential of Leveson 2.0, this is their last gasp in trying to prevent him from becoming PM - 2017 they were complacent, now they know that too much is as risk for them if Labour do actually get in.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Nick Balls

Exioce posted:

And people with mental health issues have a tendency to latch on to these grand projects to fix the world instead of working towards fixing themselves. Swings and roundabouts.
Shut the gently caress up you odious yet tiresome oval office.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Edison was a dick posted:

'sup goons.
I just skipped 2000 posts because I couldn't deal with it.

I shadowed my CLP candidate door-knocking on Monday. I'm in a safe constituency so it's mostly for practice.

Ended up meeting a pro-communist self-described centrist who didn't like Jeremy Corbyn but thought John McDonnell was more moderate.
That's either a level of "better things aren't possible" poisoning I'd never encountered before or thought possible to turn from communist to centrist, or he's received visions of a left so far beyond communism that communism appears to be the centre.

Went out door knocking yesterday without shadowing and... that was stressful. Had to stop and take a breather before knocking at one point so I didn't hyperventilate.
Does it get easier?

Also, how's the news looking? I've been avoiding that since seeing it unfiltered is bad for hope.

It gets easier as you get used to it.

OzyMandrill posted:

If a pollster called me up to ask, I would lie and say Tories just to gently caress with them.
It's me. I'm the 25% of pure bullshit that make up any poll.

Ah the Harambit

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/793430824188280832

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

ah, I see you are a labour voter

As it happens, yes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dick Boles

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Exioce posted:

As it happens, yes.

oh god are you one of the "please lets not talk about class" types

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Really appreciated the tempered positivity posts this morning, Tolkien quotes in particular. I'm on my way to my staff meal in London, which is mostly me and a bunch of wealthy old fellas. Pray for me that the election doesn't come up in conversation

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Q: What would you say to Nigel Farage if he were here?

Forman says he would invite Farage to join them, and to stand down his candidates.

Q: In all but about 20 seats?

Forman suggests it would be better to stand down everywhere.

Sometimes you have to swallow your pride, he says.

He says Farage could be seen as a great statesman if he were to do that.

And that’s it. The press conference is over.

bahaha

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultimately I think the reason the Tories are ahead is because the BXP was prepared to unilaterally stand down to help them out, while the LDs are producing bullshit charts encouraging people to 'tactically' vote for them in Lab/Con marginals. Doing that will not only lead to Tory victories by splitting the vote, it also undermines the credibility of tactical voting advice in general. Extremely pro-Tory move.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

oh god are you one of the "please lets not talk about class" types

Talk about class all you want.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

this almost certainly means internal polling is showing BXP is a bigger drain on Tories than Labour

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Change is coming, either accept it or have it punched into your stupid loving privileged face.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Quick check: whats the threads thoughts on the almost inevitable hung parliament or tory majority?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Exioce posted:

it was really unclassy of you to compare ending the heriditary exploitation of land, a thing that has been supported by economists all across the political spectrum for hundreds of years, to rape

Zero Gravitas posted:

Quick check: whats the threads thoughts on the almost inevitable hung parliament or tory majority?

a hung parliament and rerun is probably overdue looking at the rest of europe. I wouldn't mind another campaign.

The tories couldn't get a majority last time and this time they're polling at the same numbers, with a week to go, without going up against Brexit candidates. They aren't getting a majority.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 5, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zero Gravitas posted:

Have to make sure we have enough rope

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

right-wingers going porgrommy for the former, and the latter, and pretty much any result tbh the fash rags have frenzied them

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I wonder if Macron's in a good enough mood to not pointlessly showboat about an extension right now

best check the medioh thats not great

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Zero Gravitas posted:

same thing we did in 2015, 2017? it would suck but you gotta push on.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

thinking of customers in my workplace (pub) -
  • probably a dozen or so "working class" 50yo Sun readers who voted Leave, fear Muslims and foreigners and love nukes, at least one of whom didn't vote until Brexit came up
  • half-dozen pensioners who lean Lib Dem but some at least also bought into "terrorist sympathiser" line
  • widower caring for his severely disabled adult daughter who sadly takes the media at face value wrt budgets and Brexit
  • one YUPPIE-type council employee who votes Tory but won't vote for Boris
  • a swing voter who is interested in politics but struggles with all the disinfo so ends up going with gut reaction, voted Tory but also Remain, asks me lots of questions because he feels I know my stuff (thanks to the comrades in this thread)
but equally I can think of a fair few customers who openly support Labour, or at least dislike the Sun and Daily Mail. fwiw zero traction on anti-semitism smears, it's all soft-on-defence or national debt stuff.
most of the city is Lab-Lib, this area is the one Con constituency (also the wealthiest :thunk:)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Exioce posted:

While you are on probe, do not post in this thread (or any other UKMTs) again.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edison was a dick posted:

And now for your daily news simulation.

The planet caught fire again. Here's a brief interview with a recently traumatised person:

"I was living life on the planet when it just caught fire, and I had no idea what to do. I just grabbed my smellies and I ran out here into orbit."

Old grudges shooty place started shooting because of the old grudges. Western leaders have boldly committed to talking about it in private.

Sports team won the sports thing, in spite of the controversy surrounding sports person. Sports association says "we will do our best to stamp out controversy in our competition thing"

In what has been dubbed a "technical marvel", hospitals have learned they can stack surplus patients in even larger towers if they stagger the patients each layer for improved structural stability. The Lib Dems have announced that they will make all patient towers a non smoking area in a Lib Dem majority government.

Rich powerful white man found not guilty of the numerous crimes he was thoroughly documented committing. Citizens have criticised the "court of public opinion" for bringing this technically innocent man in to disrepute.

The conservatives lead the polls, with Boris Johnson saying "I'm not saying we should strand people in old grudges shooty place, just that we need a reasonable immigration policy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CoolCab posted:

feel that to an incredible degree. pessimism is an adaptive behaviour. god it was so much easier when I didn't care about anything.

I keep telling myself - you can afford to bugger off and Canada has jobs, legalization and the Tories aren't so loving bad. and then I feel supremely guilty about it - jobs are all petrodollars, legalization was a sop to give a blackface loving liberal prick power and tories are tories.

yep. I'll always be pessimistic about everything - I've made peace with that - but loving go down swinging.

If anyone ends up in the second best London, first pint’s on me. And while Trudeau is pretty melty, legalization (which mostly only white stoners bitch about because they weren’t as adversely affected by enforcement) and child care funding doesn’t get enough credit. I’m not happy about the pipeline, but according to statscan, job growth has absolutely not been all petrodollars. Canada actually needs a real leftist to unite everybody who holds their nose and votes for the libs against the Tories but it’s not as bad as, say, PM jo; Don’t get me wrong, Trudeau is still a casually racist fratboy PM and I would prefer to see a giant NDP (after properly returning to the left) win, I just think there’s better policies to yell at him about.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

40-45% in polls for Tories confuses the gently caress out of me.

That's almost every other voter. Where the gently caress are they? I can't find them anywhere can you?

I mean, ok i don't hang out with Tories. But even if I look at the Tory fucks in my team.

1 is "can't be arsed with it they are all terrible I'm not voting"
1 is "I voted leave but all the homeless is really bad and we've had long enough of Tories so I think I'm voting labour"
1 is "eh I'll still vote tory"
1 is "Thatcher did nothing wrong, jez is an anti remote blah blah blah"

That's not a poll of everyone that's just the 4 people who are full on torys and voted tory in 17.

Where are these supposed hordes of Tories?

Keep in mind: these polls are only intent, not belief. These are their best guess at who’s going to show up to vote. The actual population is essentially tied. All these articles breathlessly repeat them without ever bringing it up. I know every election is determined by who shows up to vote, but instead of feeling overwhelmed by some managed poll numbers, feel energized at the idea that you could flip a seat by encouraging a young to vote.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 5, 2019