Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Kilonum posted:

Do they still have that lovely "pay a periodic fee AND for each car/track" pricing model?

they sure do, I would avoid subscribing to iRacing if it doesn't seem worth it to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kilonum posted:

Do they still have that lovely "pay a periodic fee AND for each car/track" pricing model?

Worst pricing model in the industry, bar none. BUT, also the only truly viable multiplayer racing on PC. So there you go. Gotta pay to play.

The “nice” part is they give you discounts when you buy tracks and cars in bulk, but it’s a pretty backhanded gift at that point lol

On PC someone desperately needs to clone the GT Sport model of “jump in and race” and someone needs to also steal some of iracings thunder by offering a competent sim with a cheaper sub model so they’re forced to compete a bit.

Iracing is a monopoly and until someone comes along and eats their lunch, their pricing won’t get better

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 5, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The thing is many people have tried, Project Cars 2 had some kind of matchmaking, Assetto Corsa Competizione (remember that?) did too, but iRacing is just incredibly bedded in at this point. Hell Reiza said during AMS' development that they didn't even think it was worth trying to compete in the multiplayer space beyond scheduled league racing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes they do.

But honestly for the best oval experience, it's worth it. I've been waiting for AI for a while since I can't really ever hit their times.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Until a sim comes along where there are at least some baseline consequences for driving like a dickhead on purpose, it's going to be iRacing or nothing when it comes to getting races outside of leagues.

Hell, even leagues are hard to make work in other sims for some reason, I'd like to run R3E or AMS regularly but the interest seems tiny.

Also in a very, very slight defence of iRacing: there is at least more free content out there now and if you want to create free trial accounts for gooncar forever I'm not sure anyone would do a great deal to stop you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

The thing is many people have tried, Project Cars 2 had some kind of matchmaking, Assetto Corsa Competizione (remember that?) did too, but iRacing is just incredibly bedded in at this point. Hell Reiza said during AMS' development that they didn't even think it was worth trying to compete in the multiplayer space beyond scheduled league racing.

Right, someone just needs to not make it garbage. Iracings penalty system wouldn’t be hard to clone as it’s not terribly complex, it’s just no one does it for whatever reason.

Matchmaking kind of requires a good player base to work, which is why it worked immediately on GT sport.

Maybe I’m grossly misreading the industry, but you could offer a sim as a service with a penalty system, scheduled races and pvp matchmaking and charge a subscription fee and I think people would eat it up, or make it free and charge for tracks and cars.

Iracing doing both is just kind of lovely IMO. I know it’s not free to run the service and keep it updated but it’s pretty egregious.

I say this as someone with a current iracing sub and many purchased cars and tracks.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If ACC had done what they hinted at with their matchmaking prelaunch and made it so there was maybe a small sub fee they'd be incredibly popular, the only reason I can think of that they haven't is that it costs a *lot* more to run something like that than everyone thinks.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Kilonum posted:

Absolutely!

Has anyone tried RF2 in the past year, i got notices of graphic and track updates but i aint got time to go setting it up.

osker fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 5, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My thought has always been that I want iRacing to at least let you keep playing your purchased content after your sub lapses, but only on test laps. They can even take away the free tracks and cars if they want, make you purchase that again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kilonum posted:

You can get years of enjoyment out of only the free cars and tracks. But yeah its like a racing mmo.

Its a sim, not a game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

My thought has always been that I want iRacing to at least let you keep playing your purchased content after your sub lapses, but only on test laps. They can even take away the free tracks and cars if they want, make you purchase that again.

Yeah I agree this would be fair.

Also, let someone be a spotter without needing an active sub.

But if you wanna race you're gonna have to pay. If you don't want to pay for updates play rfactor.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So the upcoming Gooncar series is running with free cars and tracks? Or did I misread something?

I've been doing sporadic hot lap sessions in AC for the last year but some actual racin' sounds great if it's with y'all.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

So the upcoming Gooncar series is running with free cars and tracks? Or did I misread something?

I've been doing sporadic hot lap sessions in AC for the last year but some actual racin' sounds great if it's with y'all.

Most of it the season is free except for Brands Hatch and Donington.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Most of it the season is free except for Brands Hatch and Donington.

6 of the 8 rounds are free and only your best 6 scores count so if you want to be a Championship Contender or whatever you still don't need the pay content.

Also whenever we use additional content we make sure that either a) we use it a LOT (eg. Iowa when we did Skips there forever), b) it's hugely popular in official series so you'll get good use out of it easily (so things like Sebring, Spa, Nurburgring) or c) both (Brands, Donington etc)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I said come in! posted:

This would be nice too.

Or offer a lifetime sub. Let me splurge, throw money at you and then just be done. Companies hate lifetime subs tho, just ask Sirius XM, who I call and fight tooth and nail with each time I get a new car. I paid for my lifetime sub dammit!!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't you just change which radio your subscription is attached to online? I recently canceled my Sirius and they keep sending me letters trying to get me to come back. I don't get to hear the latest alt rock single 20 times a day, but I do get to listen to more podcatss.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They don’t allow lifetime subs anymore and they try their damnedest to get you off them

For instance, in like 2014 they switched their stance that you can only move a lifetime subscription once and then you have to buy a regular sub.

I was moving my sub from car to car and they refused to move it. I went as far as saying the old car was in a wreck and I couldn’t keep the sub on it. They requested a police report. :psypop:

Sirius is so bad about it that there is a cottage industry of people selling the portable car radios with lifetime subs still on them on ebay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 7, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I will never go back to Sirius because, in order to cancel, I had to tell the guy who I could barely understand what my favorite Sirius stations were.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I know someone has posted about simracingsystem.com in this thread before. iRacing is NOT the only outside-of-league organized sim racing, and SRS is free. Granted, the overall quantity of races is tiny in comparison to iRacing, but there is a penalty system and the fact that it is free (so long as you own a copy of any of the sims they support and any relevant-to-race DLC for those sims) makes it the only racing I do on the Internet.

If more people from the states would participate in US primetime races, it'd be more popular than it is now too. The most populace sim is Assetto Corsa, but it also supports RaceRoom, Automobilista, and PCars 2.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
SRS isn't part of the sims though, which is why the numbers are low, which is the point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Essobie posted:

I know someone has posted about simracingsystem.com in this thread before.

Yes, you. And I'm pretty sure only you. It's like 90% of your post history in this thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SRS really should have standardized on one sim. Taking a tiny player base and fragmenting it 4 ways was not a good move

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They don’t allow lifetime subs anymore and they try their damnedest to get you off them

For instance, in like 2014 they switched their stance that you can only move a lifetime subscription once and then you have to buy a regular sub.

I was moving my sub from car to car and they refused to move it. I went as far as saying the old car was in a wreck and I couldn’t keep the sub on it. They requested a police report. :psypop:

Sirius is so bad about it that there is a cottage industry of people selling the portable car radios with lifetime subs still on them on ebay

All of that is loving hilarious, because it's trivial to keep a receiver active after service is discontinued.

I own three standalone Sirius receivers, the newest of which hasn't had an active subscription in 8 years, and they all work fine to this day if I actually bother to hook them up. All of my units are pre-merger hardware so I have no idea what may have changed in the years since, but with these they activate and deactivate by receiving control pings from the satellite. There is no expiration after which they must be reactivated, once activated they work forever until deactivated.

As you may have been able to guess, this means if you just disconnect it before the deactivation signal goes out, you're good to go. They do re-send the signal multiple times after service is terminated, but there's only so much bandwidth on the control channel and they have other things that need it so eventually they stop sending signals for old deactivated receivers. There's obviously no official information, but the internet seems to think that you're safe after a few months. Maybe during major listening events they might run back through their backlog, but I gave one of mine that had been deactivated in 2006 to a coworker in 2008 and he used it for three years before giving it back when he got a new car that had satellite built in. The one I have in my garage worked great until I accidentally cut the cord to the outdoor antenna when weed whacking.

tl;dr: Unless they've changed something, any sub can become a lifetime sub if you want it to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah standalone receivers, the built in one in your car is a different story

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buttkicker is doing their 25% off Christmas sale. Buy a buttkicker yall

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah standalone receivers, the built in one in your car is a different story

I'm seeing how it goes in my car. I cancelled a while ago and I've left it on the aux cord ever since. I don't know if the receiver still listens for the satellite when it's not being used, so I guess I'll see sometime next year.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Yes, you. And I'm pretty sure only you. It's like 90% of your post history in this thread.

Nah, I've mentioned it a couple of times. It's really good, but mostly for euros.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've gotta cancel my SiriusXM at the end of January unless they offer me something cheap. Right now on my account they think they're going to get $250 for another year of the middle range option, :lol:

On topic, is the VR in Dirt Rally 2.0 any better? Last time I tried it was when the VR option had just been released.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

a mysterious cloak posted:

On topic, is the VR in Dirt Rally 2.0 any better? Last time I tried it was when the VR option had just been released.

It has improved a lot. I can crank up most graphics details to OK levels and get quite smooth performance (GTX 2070/Rift S).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is it less stupid now? last time I used it, everything up to the actual driving looked like it was on a virtual 15" monitor, and it was super jarring at the end of a race when it switched back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its been awhile since the OP was updated, but I was curious if there are any new racing sims in development right now? I know there's Project CARS 3.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Is it less stupid now? last time I used it, everything up to the actual driving looked like it was on a virtual 15" monitor, and it was super jarring at the end of a race when it switched back.

No it still works like that

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I said come in! posted:

Its been awhile since the OP was updated, but I was curious if there are any new racing sims in development right now? I know there's Project CARS 3.

GTR3 is the only one I can think of, and that still smells like vaporware.

I'll try to make another push for an update during the holidays. If someone wants to take over and make a new thread I'm not gonna complain though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

At first I thought VR was broken.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

That's how Dirt 1 always worked and it was fine??

tater_salad posted:

At first I thought VR was broken.

Are you really expecting them to remake all their menus for VR??

Lmao by comparison AC doesn't even render the menus on a 15" monitor, you literally have to take your HMD off to control AC's menus, and that's every goon's favorite racing game.

Dunno how you can be upset about a virtual monitor to control menus with. That's... the most comfortable solution?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

GTR3 is the only one I can think of, and that still smells like vaporware.

I'll try to make another push for an update during the holidays. If someone wants to take over and make a new thread I'm not gonna complain though.

There's also Automobilista 2 due out early next year, which is being made on the Project CARS engine. That's it for confirmed stuff though, nothing's come out of Kunos since ACC seemed to have been a complete disaster and 397 probably aren't making an rFactor 3 any time soon.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

you literally have to take your HMD off to control AC's menus

Erm, no? Why would you do that? Using the mouse is slightly annoying, but I have a wireless so it's not a big deal.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That's how Dirt 1 always worked and it was fine??

Are you really expecting them to remake all their menus for VR??

Lmao by comparison AC doesn't even render the menus on a 15" monitor, you literally have to take your HMD off to control AC's menus, and that's every goon's favorite racing game.

Dunno how you can be upset about a virtual monitor to control menus with. That's... the most comfortable solution?

Nah I just wasn't sure like it didnt' launch in VR it felt like, once i realized it was there I was like oohhh that makes sense.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Nah I just wasn't sure like it didnt' launch in VR it felt like, once i realized it was there I was like oohhh that makes sense.

Ah yeah for sure, sorry I misinterpreted. It always throws me off when I'm first starting a stage and for a couple seconds it still renders your car on the virtual monitor and then it flips to you being in the car in full VR.

But its comfortable for navigating menus, and they don't have the budget to develop a completely VR specific menu system. (Besides most VR games just give you a laser pointer and a screen for menus anyhow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Hello good goons. I've been lurking this and the iRacing thread for a few months and think I'm ready to plunge back into sim racing after having the itch for the last half year or so. I used to run the Papyrus NASCAR sims back in the day and am finally in a life position where I can entertain this again. Any Board Racing vets around this place?

I am starting from scratch and looking at a setup at my office desk that will be set up and taken down often. I'm looking at and starting to price out Fanatec products, and would appreciate this thread's feedback and a gut check on whether I'm being a big dumb idiot or not. I've read the OP but would appreciate some personalized advice - feedback or mocking is much appreciated.

Specifically, I'm looking at the CSL Elite series of Wheel Base V1.1, Steering Wheel P1 for Xbone, and Pedals LC. My thought would be this would be a great start in the iRacing rookie series, and I could get another wheel for the open wheelers in due time.