Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

True.

Also, you can get 5 Thai boy soccer teams in those caves in Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Ghostlight posted:

tbf, chris roberts doesn't publicly call people paedophiles just because he doesn't know how big a cave is.

chris KNOWS caves

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kosumo posted:

Musk has used his own money on his projects many times (along with investors and costumers money).

Roberts ask for other peoples money to make his projects (of which he then uses on other non project related things i.e. Microsoft money that paid for work on Freelancer, supposable then being used for Digital Anvil to do SFX work on the Wing Commander movie).

He made a company with kickstarter funds and then sold 10% of that company to the Chandlers. That scummy.
PS: Musk is a person that Roberts would like to be, but never will.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bumble He posted:

yeah it seems to be an absolutely inventive and revolutionary team based fps shooter module.
you can already tell how fresh it will be by the name it was given.
greedy publishers use generic names for their unfinished poo poo-products, like:

gears of war
call of duty
medal of honor
clash of clans
forge of empires
etc.

ci's new game mode is called “theatres of war“

world of tanks
theatre of war

Wait what... https://store.steampowered.com/app/46290/Theatre_of_War/

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I know I'm super late but this is super dangerous and CIG should NOT be endorsing this kind of behavior and should have demanded the guy remove the bag from his head and not give him video time.

Super bad decision guys.

No it's safe. Many attendees are space doctors and have a fully staffed medical submarine at their disposal.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
This is the most upvoted reply here in the COD MW subreddit.

When even the "most toxic gaming community ever" (= the COD players) has higher bars and standards than a community that says "I don't care what CIG does with my money, and even if they stop developement now, I got 600+ hours of FUN with my friends in a PTU with more CONTENT than almost all AAA games, we are entitled to NOTHING, we are thankful for all the progress we already got", you know, it is over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

"Star Citizen is a game that’s going to take time. More time than the seven years that it has taken to get to this point. Even when it is officially “released,” the game will be far from complete from a development perspective. Content will grow and additional ships will be included. Star systems, planets, and whatever else rumbles around the mind of Chris Roberts will show up in-game as well."

Unfortunately, the more years it takes, the more SC and SQ42 (lol) will get passed left and right by games with better tech, more content, better AI, better immersion, complexer and bigger Multiplayer options etc.

The PTU does not offer 2 % of the content that Osiris New Dawn, No Mans Sky, X4, Astroneer or the Mass Effect Franchise or even ED provide.

"But Star Citizen will offer"...,let me qoute The Agents hilarious artifical meltdown,..

TheAgent posted:

single player questlines that tie into an mmo that features 10,000 real time player battles, with various trades from medic to merchant to mercenary all being equally important, with hundreds of systems to "organically" explore and the selling of secret trade information to navigate the 'verses secrets, with you being able to build your own colony or fleet to control sectors of space, with the ability to turn the real time combat mmo into a real time strategy game with large scale first person combat battles happening while capital ships bombard planets while smaller ships fight off bombers and landing crews, all the while you are talking to people using an RSI branded camera over FOIP while using the RSI joystick, as you are welcomed aboard your capital ship by a bevy of realistic npcs all with their own backstories and needs and are mixed seamlessly with your real crew of players who can communicate across a 50 person ship without issue, [...] the news ship outside might broadcast a negative thing and then your reputation in the 'verse will be severely impacted, meanwhile the vanduul fleets are slowly amassing and maybe the other aliens, the banu and whatever the gently caress the others are, have meaningful languages so OF COURSE they are super important and you will obviously be able to interact with them in meaningful ways, but you have to be careful you don't upset the delicate balance in the 'verse because that will have serious impact for your character, including personalized quests and factions, not to mention the guild system
, but unironically when it's done.

No, it will not, because CIG still fails after seven years to provide fundamental Cryengine Mechanics we had 5-10 years ago already, and they can't deliver space combat ai and flight models and they fail to deliver non glitched camera view angles and clipping mechanics in their citcom demo, thats like some settings in the cryengine that cryengine offers since almost 2 decades and that you can find from hobby cryengine devs on youtube, working, by try and error stuff lmao.

They somehow manged to to be YEARS behind of gaming industry and engine standards, after a quarter of a billion dollar. But the sc reddit is telling me there is progress.
Yes, in a way that they will catch up to tech and mechanism we had a decade ago, and maybe soon more than 50 players on a server.
Groundbreaking technology, on a AAAA level.

Buy more ships!

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 5, 2019

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tesla fans will be posting videos about how they love car while their Tesla is burning in the background.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Sandweed posted:

Tesla fans will be posting videos about how they love car while their Tesla is burning in the background.
Yeah, basically:

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Quavers posted:

:trustme: four jackets

The entirety of the Elder Scrolls series fits on that man's growing forehead.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Kosumo posted:

Musk has used his own money on his projects many times (along with investors and costumers money).

Roberts ask for other peoples money to make his projects (of which he then uses on other non project related things i.e. Microsoft money that paid for work on Freelancer, supposable then being used for Digital Anvil to do SFX work on the Wing Commander movie).

He made a company with kickstarter funds and then sold 10% of that company to the Chandlers. That scummy.

Doesn't Musk get money from government (=taxpayer money), at least for space x? At least citizens give their stupid money to crobear willingly.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

commando in tophat posted:

Doesn't Musk get money from government (=taxpayer money), at least for space x? At least citizens give their stupid money to crobear willingly.

Well, so does NASA and so on - and he at least delivers some solutions. If Musk didn't get money for Space X, some other space program would, arguably a more expensive one.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

LOL that's what I was thinking, I've got a couple of those games. Pretty solid wargames in fact, there's one recreating the tense battles around Caen which formed part of Op Goodwood, Monty's attempt to break out of the Normandy beachhead. The 88s are absolute bastards to dislodge.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

elon and chris have a lot in common with the micromanaging of individual employees, firing people who disagree with them in any way, and an overabundance of yes-men leading to massive self sabotage.

like all great men though, the thing the two share most is a love for taking credit for other people's work and building themselves a personal brand and cult following out of it which they can feed their narcissism and further enrich themselves with.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

These 2 paragraphs to defend time it's been in development always a laugh.

quote:

Since 2012, CIG has contracted other developers, built multiple studios in the US, UK, and Germany, and increased the size of the development team to around 500 people. They didn’t get all of this from day one. They didn’t even get all of this year one. Unlike most high budget published game developers, they have had money trickle in week by week, month by month, for the past seven years.

The company had to be built from the ground up – and all of that had to come from backer money. All of the comforts existing developers have like a pool of onboard talent, furnished studios, assets from previous games, server architecture and so on, weren’t available for CIG and had to be acquired over time and at cost.

Okay it's 100% true, they had to build up the company, didn't have any game assets, staff, finance, offices when they were founded...so has every other video game company that wasn't created as a subsidiary of another. The game assets, besides the design of things like the world or a character, very few sequels actually have game assets from the old game.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Beet Wagon posted:

So I have a bad brain that isn't good at playing out the limited information we get about CIG's financial dealings, but one thing kinda stood out to me. When the Calders invested in CIG, we found out the valuation for the entire company (the calders got ~110,000 shares of both CIG US and CIG UK if I remember right) but Turbulent only got shares from CIG UK, based on the valuation given during the Calder buy. So if CIG UK and CIG US aren't valued equally, that means that potentially the shares Turbulent got are worth even less than what people are figuring, which in turn means CIG probably paid even bigger bux for the shares of Turbulent, right?

Is that something, or is my brain dying because I made it try to do math?

The blog is attempting to be very carefully worded.

The Turbulent guys personally received real cash for 25% of the company that they personally owned, from the UK group. This cash amount could be anything at the moment but we'll find out the exact amount in theory around 30 September 2020 during the accounts filing.

The second part of the blog is that Cloud Imperium UK issued brand NEW shares to the Turbulent guys. So the £350k investment from these guys into the UK Group does not have any direct correlation to the amounts they personally received for their Turbulent shares. This change in capital should be filed with Companies House any day now...

I don't think it's a stretch to believe that UK filing requirements are the only reason they made this announcement in their blog. We've never been told anything about the share structure of the US group other than the outside investment last year was $23m for 10% of the US group.

There's no similar filing requirement for the US companies. So there's a pretty good possibility that the US Cloud Imperiums also bought 25% of Turbulent and gave up ~0.2% of the US group. That would mean the Star Citizen group owned 50% of Turbulent and would then only seem right that they had 50% of the board.

This is a long way of demonstrating what The Agent is saying. The Turbulent guys got a big personal pay out and a little taste of Star Citizen group companies. The Star Citizen groups got to keep the Turbulent guys close and keep going as things are. It's pretty clear which side was in a position of power in this negotiation.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Well, so does NASA and so on - and he at least delivers some solutions. If Musk didn't get money for Space X, some other space program would, arguably a more expensive one.

Yeah, for sure, but I am fairly certain that NASA doesn't propose to nuke and colonize Mars, move money to company that bought small boring machine, or build pretend spaceship out of water tower for marketing. Also, wasn't Musk's original plan to be building Mars colony by 2020 or something?

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Yeah, for sure, but I am fairly certain that NASA doesn't propose to nuke and colonize Mars, move money to company that bought small boring machine, or build pretend spaceship out of water tower for marketing. Also, wasn't Musk's original plan to be building Mars colony by 2020 or something?

Nuking Mars isn't Musk's idea, it was proposed in various forms over the last 50 years, and I believe there were non-serious NASA studies on it. The water tower rocket is a functioning mock-up for the purposes of doing a large scale hover test like they did with Grasshopper.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They don't propose exactly these, of course, but they historically had their share of crazy ideas comparable with Musk's. Ever heard of Project Orion? And money issues and marketing, they had that for years. In fact both space shuttle crashes can be linked to "We need more money, let's ignore safety procedures and just ship, ship, ship".

Wiki says: Bits of additional information about the mission architecture were released in 2011–2015, including a 2014 statement that initial colonists would arrive at Mars no earlier than the middle of the 2020s.[10] Company plans in mid-2016 continued to call for the arrival of the first humans on Mars no earlier than 2025.
And: In March 2019, Musk suggested it would be theoretically possible for a self-sustaining city on Mars to emerge by 2050.

So he still has a few years to spare.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

Calders, and that 10% is debatable based on the _half a billion_ dollar valuation of a company that consists of technical debt and donations.

Reminder that Theranos hit a nine billion dollar valuation before it suddenly became zero.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

quote:

Since 2012, CIG has contracted other developers, built multiple studios in the US, UK, and Germany, and increased the size of the development team to around 500 people. They didn’t get all of this from day one. They didn’t even get all of this year one. Unlike most high budget published game developers, they have had money trickle in week by week, month by month, for the past seven years.

Ah yes, a mere trickle of an average of $2.9 million a month. How could anyone develop anything on such a meagre budget!?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dynastocles posted:

Ah yes, a mere trickle of an average of $2.9 million a month. How could anyone develop anything on such a meagre budget!?
uhhh errrr umm developing games is expensive and ....uhh err umm parp...ah .. err ... umm you see every backer dollar is equivalent to 4 publisher dollar . So that means every expense is 4 times more expensive.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hav posted:

Calders, and that 10% is debatable based on the _half a billion_ dollar valuation of a company that consists of technical debt and donations.

Reminder that Theranos hit a nine billion dollar valuation before it suddenly became zero.

Also Enron (valued 70 billions at peak, one year later valued nothing). Or WorldCom (valued 102 billions at peak). Or others.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

And theranos.

Goddamnit Chris no one asked you to cure cancer, but you had to make it a stretch-goal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why does the turbulent buyout feel like hush money?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dynastocles posted:

Then again, money trickles out at a mere $3.5 million a month, and with that kind of shortfall, the budget can probably be classified as meagre from a certain point of view. :D

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

tbf, chris roberts doesn't publicly call people paedophiles just because he doesn't know how big a cave is.

He also isn’t planning on....defending himself......in.....court. <sustained laughter>

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

iospace posted:

Why does the turbulent buyout feel like hush money?

It's probably please, dont go, we need you money.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
To be fair to CI, they were very clear that it was a post-investment valuation. It's like any multiplication:

Total = shares x price paid.

The Calders got 10% and they paid $46m, so the value of the company POST INVESTMENT has to be considered to be $460m. That's really all there is to it, unless your name is joe blobbers, then feel free to tack on "indepedent auditor valued" for no reason.

Just to explain the term, compare two contrasting ways that you can invest in a company. Say a company is "valued" at $414m pre-investment.
1. You could in theory buy 10% of the company off the current shareholders for $41.4m.
2. You could also invest $46m into the company for 10% of new shares. In this scenario the money goes into the company so that the company is immediately worth $414m+$46m = $460m post-investment valuation.

One of these options pays out the current shareholders. It rewards them personally. The other option doesn't reward anyone personally but instead provides the company with funds that it needs for ongoing activity. Naturally you could have a mix of the two, where perhaps the company sees $46m of cash investment and a shareholder gets $4m in cash to spend on a luxury property somewhere.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

They don't propose exactly these, of course, but they historically had their share of crazy ideas comparable with Musk's. Ever heard of Project Orion? And money issues and marketing, they had that for years. In fact both space shuttle crashes can be linked to "We need more money, let's ignore safety procedures and just ship, ship, ship".

Wiki says: Bits of additional information about the mission architecture were released in 2011–2015, including a 2014 statement that initial colonists would arrive at Mars no earlier than the middle of the 2020s.[10] Company plans in mid-2016 continued to call for the arrival of the first humans on Mars no earlier than 2025.
And: In March 2019, Musk suggested it would be theoretically possible for a self-sustaining city on Mars to emerge by 2050.

So he still has a few years to spare.

Fair enough. Though it still feels slightly more wrong to me to give money to billionaire to do dumb poo poo than to give same money to state owned organization to do same dumb poo poo. :shrug: (I mean the shithole where I live, state owned organizations are corrupt and dumb as poo poo, so I don't suggest they are somehow better)

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fair enough. Though it still feels slightly more wrong to me to give money to billionaire to do dumb poo poo than to give same money to state owned organization to do same dumb poo poo. :shrug: (I mean the shithole where I live, state owned organizations are corrupt and dumb as poo poo, so I don't suggest they are somehow better)

That's usually the problem with the state owned organization worldwide, I believe. They aren't ran for profit - if they fail, they get more money from state next year, and if they succeed, they don't keep the money. Private companies are ran for profit, so they are trying to be cost effective to increase profit.

(Of course you can run into the opposite problem with them, increasing cost to increase profit, like US private healthcare, but luckily that doesn't seem to happen so far with SpaceX.)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

shrach posted:

To be fair to CI, they were very clear that it was a post-investment valuation. It's like any multiplication:

Total = shares x price paid.

The Calders got 10% and they paid $46m, so the value of the company POST INVESTMENT has to be considered to be $460m. That's really all there is to it, unless your name is joe blobbers, then feel free to tack on "indepedent auditor valued" for no reason.

Just to explain the term, compare two contrasting ways that you can invest in a company. Say a company is "valued" at $414m pre-investment.
1. You could in theory buy 10% of the company off the current shareholders for $41.4m.
2. You could also invest $46m into the company for 10% of new shares. In this scenario the money goes into the company so that the company is immediately worth $414m+$46m = $460m post-investment valuation.

One of these options pays out the current shareholders. It rewards them personally. The other option doesn't reward anyone personally but instead provides the company with funds that it needs for ongoing activity. Naturally you could have a mix of the two, where perhaps the company sees $46m of cash investment and a shareholder gets $4m in cash to spend on a luxury property somewhere.

This is very cool and made sense - I actually learned something today. Keep up the cool and good financial posts commando!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

That's usually the problem with the state owned organization worldwide, I believe. They aren't ran for profit - if they fail, they get more money from state next year, and if they succeed, they don't keep the money. Private companies are ran for profit, so they are trying to be cost effective to increase profit.

(Of course you can run into the opposite problem with them, increasing cost to increase profit, like US private healthcare, but luckily that doesn't seem to happen so far with SpaceX.)

Last time I heard it wasn't publicly known if SpaceX runs profit or no, but going by Musk's other company I wouldn't bet on it :) . Of course there are also private companies that are run on dreams of future profits and glory (I guess this brings us back to Space Citizen :downs:)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-investment-fact-sheet

quote:

This represents approximately 10% of the outstanding shares/units in these Cloud Imperium parent companies.

quote:

The investment was made equally into the US and the UK parent of Cloud Imperium at a combined valuation of $450M, resulting in a post-money valuation of $496M

Valuation is arbitrarily set first, purchase of new shares comes later. So in fact the Calders had slightly less than 10% of the post-money combined total.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2019

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/DWmMMzn.gifv

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
You think Chris could just pay Frontier to let him use their engine?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

The kickstarter comment section is a hilarious read once in a while

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
We are fine

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
no need to upgrade soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
"cartel"

loving hell.