Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mario Maker 2.0 is wonderful, although the sheer volume of lovely Zelda levels is going to be annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

watching the little sword powerup video made me think about, is there a word for a really cool powerup that everyone wants to play with but only shows up in an extremely limited capacity and may not even be that good? examples include: ufo power from kirby, the boot from super mario 3

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Frog Suit from Mario 3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fierce deity mask from majora's mask

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think that's right. Supporting seating doesn't mean supporting a controller. There are PSVR games that are seated but still involve motion controls. There are also seated games that use controller, but they don't have to.

I don't see Half Life Alyx having traditional controller support whatsoever. I think you're wrong there, and that's the whole problem.

FPS games are straightforward. VR games are not.

If Alyx has controller support, then flat-screen implementation will be trivial. They'd already do it, at that point. You'd just need a way to turn your head, which you could use a thumbstick for or you could use a head tracking camera solution. They would already advertise a flat-screen version if they were doing that. They're not doing that. That's the whole point, they're not doing controllers. You can't easily do controllers.

Watch the trailer again. Everything you do involves floating hands. The whole game is built from the ground up for motion controls. That's the whole point of the design and making you be Alyx and not Gordon.

I like that under this paradigm VR Chess and Flatscreen Chess are like, platonically Not The Same Game as long as vr.controllersupport=0.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

watching the little sword powerup video made me think about, is there a word for a really cool powerup that everyone wants to play with but only shows up in an extremely limited capacity and may not even be that good? examples include: ufo power from kirby, the boot from super mario 3

Everything in mario galaxy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McSpanky posted:

I like that under this paradigm VR Chess and Flatscreen Chess are like, platonically Not The Same Game as long as vr.controllersupport=0.

I mean, call it what you want, 'game' or 'experiemce', that's semantics, but the fact is that yeah, lots of people paid money to be able to play chess in VR who could already play flatscreen chess for free.

How we experience the game is part of the game. So weird as it is, and its a bit of a tough edge case, yeah I think they are distinct, although obviously sharing the same strategic elements.

Games like Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin play pretty wildly different on Wii than Gamecube, as another weird example.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

You get to play as the fully powered Jehuty for like five minutes in ZOE2

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any advice for trying to teach a 5 year old how to play 2D platformers? My niece is trying to learn via playing Hollow Knight and it's... not the most newbie-freindly game to do so with.

I did suggest she try a Mario or Kirby game but she's become quite attached to Hollow Knight. She asks to play it whenever she gets the chance to play my Switch :stare:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

FPS games are straightforward. VR games are not.

I disagree with this as a blanket statement entirely. You're not really understanding my points or I'm not explaining it well in any case so nevermind.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 5, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

a glitch posted:

Does anyone have any advice for trying to teach a 5 year old how to play 2D platformers? My niece is trying to learn via playing Hollow Knight and it's... not the most newbie-freindly game to do so with.

I did suggest she try a Mario or Kirby game but she's become quite attached to Hollow Knight. She asks to play it whenever she gets the chance to play my Switch :stare:

tell her to git gud

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

love those legs waving around

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a glitch posted:

let her play the game she wants to play, even if she's bad at it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your niece has good taste in video games and it should be encouraged

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

let her play the game she wants to play, even if she's bad at it?

Yeah if she still consistently asks to play it and isn't displaying negative emotions at it what's the harm? Maybe you're helping raise the next pro gaming prodigy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

a glitch posted:

just tell her where the wall climbing power is

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your niece will crush the path of pain

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I guess the Meaning of Death in Dark Law is having a total party wipe on the very first encounter to bunch of cave bats. Apparently I'm supposed to grind against these enemies for a few hours to gain a level and maybe some coins for upgrades, but I think I'm going to... not do that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my dad likes to tell me the story of how when me and my siblings would all gather round to play zelda 1 and then when we'd die we'd beg him to "get past the hard part" even though he was always worse at the games than we were

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if kirby absorbed clancy brown would he adopt his self loathing or his voice acting talent

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

Yeah if she still consistently asks to play it and isn't displaying negative emotions at it what's the harm? Maybe you're helping raise the next pro gaming prodigy.

I'm fine with her playing it, I'm just a bit suprised she likes it so much. She isn't getting disturbed/worried about it so guess she's OK to keep playing it.

She's struggling with changing movement direction but seems to have got the hang of jumping.

Andrast posted:

Your niece will crush the path of pain

I will report back when this happens. She's already a lot better at it than I was at Super Mario Land at her age so I guess it's going well so far.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Mario Maker 2.0 is wonderful, although the sheer volume of lovely Zelda levels is going to be annoying

oh did they add the ocarina of time dungeons ahhhahahhaha

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The OoT dungeons are pretty good though. Possible exception for bottom of the well because its gimmick of fake walls/floors is annoying before you get the dungeon item that lets you see through them

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

homeless snail posted:

i cannot divulge the secret scoring formula, or whether this is a +hgp word or a -hgp word

nor will i post the secret 1 million horny point phrase

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing... BRING IT IN, GUYS!!

*every character from every game, comic, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE orgy*

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cheetah7071 posted:

The OoT dungeons are pretty good though. Possible exception for bottom of the well because its gimmick of fake walls/floors is annoying before you get the dungeon item that lets you see through them

how good they are is irrelevant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing... BRING IT IN, GUYS!!

*every character from every game, comic, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE orgy*

I'm calling the police on your infinite trans-dimensional child orgy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm calling the police on your infinite trans-dimensional child orgy

An infinite number of police would already be attending though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does the sexy consenting-adult version of a character still count as that character? discuss

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hilbert's Hotel has evolved to Hilbert's Jail!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

I know it's a meme but how can you ignore the Water Temple ahahaha oh god that place sucks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I know it's a meme but how can you ignore the Water Temple ahahaha oh god that place sucks

There's one kinda lovely key in the water temple but the rest is a really cool dungeon

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In VR chess can you flip the board/throw pawns at your opponent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there VR Battle Chess?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The water temple is good it was just too hard for you because you were 8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Water Temple was also updated to remove the most famous pain point in the 3DS remake so if that's what you're remembering it from it's not the reason it became a meme

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

autumnal oddium posted:

oh did they add the ocarina of time dungeons ahhhahahhaha

Woooooooooow

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

was it that floating platform that lifted up revealing a hole to drop down that was shown during one of the water raising cutscenes that i overlooked about a gajillion times

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

was it that floating platform that lifted up revealing a hole to drop down that was shown during one of the water raising cutscenes that i overlooked about a gajillion times

Yeah that's the key that sucked

No idea if that's also the 3ds change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

In VR chess can you flip the board/throw pawns at your opponent

Yes

haveblue posted:

Is there VR Battle Chess?

Yes