Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Djarum posted:

Nadler is a disaster.

I'm pretty sure this is why Schiff had the opportunity to do impeachment inquiries at all-- Nadler has been consistently biffing it for the entire span and breadth of the Trump administration. If there's anywhere in the chain that this whole process is going to stall out and not make it out of the House, it's in the hands of Jerrold Nadler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
How many more hearings do they need?

They should just draft the articles and move it forward. It's not like you're gonna get more cooperation and Republicans have proved they will bitch about the process and then move goal posts when the Democrats do anything new. Absent a completely shocking smoking gun, the public isn't going to be swayed.

The goal shouldn't be to actually remove the president at this point, but rather tie Trump to the lot of em and let it get sorted out in 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oxsnard posted:

They should just draft the articles and move it forward. It's not like you're gonna get more cooperation and Republicans have proved they will bitch about the process and then move goal posts when the Democrats do anything new. Absent a completely shocking smoking gun, the public isn't going to be swayed.

The goal shouldn't be to actually remove the president at this point, but rather tie Trump to the lot of em and let it get sorted out in 2020

If they intend to attempt to get testimony from witnesses fighting subpoenas, wait. Otherwise, move on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don’t understand why they don’t bring all the defied subpoenas to court like Don McGann

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t understand why they don’t bring all the defied subpoenas to court like Don McGann

Because they don't have time. Every ruling will take several months, each of those will be appealed, and appealed again up to the Supreme Court. It doesn't matter that the claims have no merit. The point is to stall and run out the clock.

Trump is accused of subverting the democratic process, of using the power of his office to influence the election. Waiting until after the election he's actively trying to fix is a bad idea.

Pooling all the defied subpoenas into an Obstruction of Congress charge is a better use of time.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Deteriorata posted:

Because they don't have time. Every ruling will take several months, each of those will be appealed, and appealed again up to the Supreme Court. It doesn't matter that the claims have no merit. The point is to stall and run out the clock.

Trump is accused of subverting the democratic process, of using the power of his office to influence the election. Waiting until after the election he's actively trying to fix is a bad idea.

Pooling all the defied subpoenas into an Obstruction of Congress charge is a better use of time.

IMHO this is why somehow it needs to be recognized that legal fights taking forever enable people to commit high loving crimes at an astounding rate and maybe somehow the status quo should change so that really important poo poo like this can get escalated and judged in weeks not months.

I don’t know how that happens without everyone turbofucking decorum and probably trampling on establish case law like “people need time to get their arguments in order”, but again it is a very real flaw that is being knowing exploited by the most powerful people in the government to do crimes, so maybe it warrants that type of solution

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Crazyweasel posted:

IMHO this is why somehow it needs to be recognized that legal fights taking forever enable people to commit high loving crimes at an astounding rate and maybe somehow the status quo should change so that really important poo poo like this can get escalated and judged in weeks not months.

I don’t know how that happens without everyone turbofucking decorum and probably trampling on establish case law like “people need time to get their arguments in order”, but again it is a very real flaw that is being knowing exploited by the most powerful people in the government to do crimes, so maybe it warrants that type of solution

look at what happened in South Korea in 2016. It was that inertia, through investigative reporting and relentless investigations, over a very short period that caused it all to collapse

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Crazyweasel posted:

How do we take advantage of the simultaneous drastic underfunding of courts and the unbelievable right-wing stacking of the judiciary?

I say when we have a Dem president (s)he just starts signing hundreds of executive orders a day, jamming up the circuit courts with suits and keeping the judiciary 8 years behind schedule

Someone tell me if this is even remotely plausible

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

They also smartly appear to be using the blanket orders to refuse to submit to house subpoenas as an obstruction of justice case. They don't have time to fight for the subpoenas, but including it as an obstruction article forces Republicans to either vote for impeachment or vote that forcing executive branch employees to ignore congressional subpoenas is not obstruction, which could very obviously be used against them in the future.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Remember when prominent republicans called a 13 year old Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog"?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

Remember when prominent republicans called a 13 year old Chelsea Clinton "the White House dog"?

i almost forgot

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

thats sounds like whats about to happen. maybe one or two more and they will decide. than christmas time impeach and January trial.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How many AF1 rides does Gaetz get for his groveling before Trump today?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mcmagic posted:

How many AF1 rides does Gaetz get for his groveling before Trump today?

I'd honestly be shocked if Trump knew who half these guys are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Not a Children posted:

How do we take advantage of the simultaneous drastic underfunding of courts and the unbelievable right-wing stacking of the judiciary?

I say when we have a Dem president (s)he just starts signing hundreds of executive orders a day, jamming up the circuit courts with suits and keeping the judiciary 8 years behind schedule

Someone tell me if this is even remotely plausible

This actually happened in brazil and it caused horrible corruption and loss of faith in government because there was zero judicial redress for anything because it took years to get the courts to hear anything. It was very much not a solution.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Pelosi just said "I'm asking the chairman to proceed with Articles of Impeachment."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pelosi just called on the house to begin articles

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The one way I see to reverse the conservative stacking is to question Trump’s relationship and the GOP subservience to Russia propaganda and suggest until it is investigated what interests they have ties to foreign power to repeal their appointments and policies, like how many are tied to NRA corruption. That includes Kavanaugh. Until it can be verified any of them are clean and also free of influence which can take a while and welp until then we’re going to have to replace them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sexpig by night posted:

Pelosi just called on the house to begin articles

So, impeachment goes to the senate sometime by end of 2020???

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Pollyanna posted:

They're aiming to vote before Christmas and the Senate is planning on having it done before February.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gatts posted:

repeal their appointments

Unfortunately the Constitution is very clear on this, it lays out specific and limited conditions under which lifetime appointments may be ended and the appointing president is not allowed to be a consideration. It's court packing at every level or nothing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

Mitch pretty much blocked off all of January for the trial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh. Huh, I’m surprised it’s moving that fast once it actually got going. That makes, what, 6 months since hearing about the call to a recommendation of impeachment?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Pollyanna posted:

Oh. Huh, I’m surprised it’s moving that fast once it actually got going. That makes, what, 6 months since hearing about the call to a recommendation of impeachment?

I think this story first broke in early September with "Someone blew the whistle on some mysterious thing Trump did."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
plus the president and his cronies keeping half the witnesses from testifying makes it go pretty fast

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This actually happened in brazil and it caused horrible corruption and loss of faith in government because there was zero judicial redress for anything because it took years to get the courts to hear anything. It was very much not a solution.
Basically read Kafka's Der Process.

Wouldn't it make sense to pass it out of the House with obstruction in order to permit the Senate to call additional witness? It seems they lack subpoena power, but that doesn't seem to matter here. Nothing prevents silent witnesses from deciding to come forward voluntarily, right?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1202616134945714176

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Also I'm pretty sure there's still talk of perjury in his written answers to Mueller.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
looks like a pre christmas vote is all but locked up #blessed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Also I'm pretty sure there's still talk of perjury in his written answers to Mueller.

only obstruction of Mueller is still in play, from all reporting I am aware of

I think what you're talking about is what they'd like to consider if they could actually get McGahn to testify in a timely fashion -- but there's like a 99% chance that isn't happening now

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thom12255 posted:

They're aiming to vote before Christmas and the Senate is planning on having it done before February.
Anyone else kind of dispirited that Pelosi and the Dem leadership basically are speedrunning this because they know there's no hope in the Senate?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Anyone else kind of dispirited that Pelosi and the Dem leadership basically are speedrunning this because they know there's no hope in the Senate?

That's not the only reason. Getting it done before the election he's trying to subvert matters, too. It's moving slower than the Clinton impeachment, anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Deteriorata posted:

Getting it done before the election he's trying to subvert matters, too.
Actually, thanks for that point of view. It really helps reframe the process for me and makes everything much less of a downer.

Just remembered how funny it was that, when the GOP was going over "WAS THIS IMPEACHABLE" they conveniently left off when Reagan knew about Iran-Contra...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I assume he must have some dirt on other Fox News people to be able to say this on air and not lose his job

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Y'all might be being a bit harsh on Nadler. I know he's no Schiff, but Schiff did have to tamp down some bullshit the first couple days of the hearings, too. Remember how they demanded he step down first thing, first day?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Nadler is a non factor at this point. We have one or two more hearings and then a vote on moving articles to the floor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

actionjackson posted:

I assume he must have some dirt on other Fox News people to be able to say this on air and not lose his job

Shepard Smith entrusted his insurance repository to Napolitano on the way out the door

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Would Emoluments ever be in play?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Would Emoluments ever be in play?

There is no way we ever get the general public to give a poo poo about emoluments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

There is no way we ever get the general public to give a poo poo about emoluments involving a republican