Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...what the gently caress does this mean? This guy wants Democrats to slow-walk things till April or May of next year now?

There's a risk that McConnell could slow-walk the trial, forcing the Senators that are also candidates to be yanked around the country torn between campaigning and being present for Senate votes.

Its mostly making the best of a really bad situation for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...what the gently caress does this mean? This guy wants Democrats to slow-walk things till April or May of next year now?

he's an idiot who (rightfully) wants Trump to face all of his crimes. The american public has the attention span of a gnat, and this is a political maneuver. Pelosi sucks poo poo but this her politicking here has been masterful.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1202616012518109184
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1202619484042878978

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oxsnard posted:

he's an idiot who (rightfully) wants Trump to face all of his crimes. The american public has the attention span of a gnat, and this is a political maneuver. Pelosi sucks poo poo but this her politicking here has been masterful.

No it hasn't been.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

There's a risk that McConnell could slow-walk the trial, forcing the Senators that are also candidates to be yanked around the country torn between campaigning and being present for Senate votes.

Its mostly making the best of a really bad situation for them

Every indication is that McConnell wants this done ASAP. Dragging out the trial just risks new revelations and more witnesses

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It was only inevitable that the GOP would eventually perfect their strategy of electing someone so unbelievably terrible that any adequate response to him sounds like exaggeration.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

theflyingorc posted:

I think certainty of which way is better is foolish

Forcing senators to vote has value, get too close to November and Mitch will slow walk it

Making them vote ~a month before the election after months of extra embarrassing behavior by the toddler in chief has more value IMO

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I am not OK with misogynistic attacks on Mrs Trump. It just makes misogynistic attacks on any woman on social media more likely.

She’s an utterly vacant person who cares nothing for anyone outside her circle of family and friends. As most conservatives are. Calling her a prostitute and spamming her with nudes doesn’t highlight this at all.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

So basically there is no path whatsoever to Trump getting actually removed from office, and the Senate trial is basically going to be a party-line vote intended to try and show voters that the GOP is a bunch of ghouls?

I mean, impeachment is the right thing to do. It’s just gonna have more of an effect at the polls than on anything else.

There's a non-zero chance that Trump gets more deranged during the course of the trial and the Senate decides to remove, but it's really unlikely. It's all about making the Republicans look like lovely monsters voting party over country first

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yeah, it's not really clear what alternative course of action that guy would prefer here. Would he rather have a show trial later in the primary? During the general election? Never?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

Every indication is that McConnell wants this done ASAP. Dragging out the trial just risks new revelations and more witnesses

Agreed, but it's been posited as a strategy

Again, not a great one, but it's a good idea to try and anticipate the way the turtle would try to maximize being a fuckstick and being prepared for it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BarbarianElephant posted:

Semi-competent Russian hackers who forgot to change the down-ticket votes to match.

My :tinfoil: is that this happened to Florida in 2018 when the GOP won all statewide offices yet somehow the same voters who elected them also overwhelmingly voted to restore the voting rights of convicted felons.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Speaking of Russian hackers

https://twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1202607235014242304

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Actually you're wrong and it's hella creepy and gross to start posting nude pics of a woman you disagree with no matter who the gently caress they are, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Also Jesus was best buds with mary magdalene so idk if your 'not allowed to claim to be a good christian' thing is on solid ground there either. hth

Wow you mean these people aren't genuine with their appeals to moral superiority through religion? It's almost as if that hypocrisy is what's being highlighted here! I hope this helps your understanding of this not being about Melania at all.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
honestly, the only "lose" scenario for Dems is if they don't vote to impeach. Every other permutation is some variation of a political win, each with advantages and drawbacks. We often criticize democrats for being giant wusses too afraid to upset the apple cart. Suggesting that aggressively moving forward with impeachment while it still has the public interest is in any way bad is stupid as hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Don't spoil the Mr. Robot finale

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Munkeymon posted:

Making them vote ~a month before the election after months of extra embarrassing behavior by the toddler in chief has more value IMO

You're misreading me, get close enough to the election and McConnell will simply drag the vote past election day, meaning we don't get the benefit of putting Senators on the record. Getting too close to November would be bad.

That doesn't mean that I think January is the right time, or May. But I think anyone who is completely certain when the right time is - that person is talking out of their rear end. There's benefits and drawbacks to doing it at any given point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/YousefMunayyer/status/1202620441975758848

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ballz posted:

My :tinfoil: is that this happened to Florida in 2018 when the GOP won all statewide offices yet somehow the same voters who elected them also overwhelmingly voted to restore the voting rights of convicted felons.

Or there are just some issues that cut across party lines, like marijuana legalization.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

We could fix all the Nazi stuff on Facebook by just forcing them to delete all the groups.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/PaulTOwen/status/1202607204098084864?s=19

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1202622271090810880

It was Sinclair media who said it

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

theflyingorc posted:

You're misreading me, get close enough to the election and McConnell will simply drag the vote past election day, meaning we don't get the benefit of putting Senators on the record. Getting too close to November would be bad.

That doesn't mean that I think January is the right time, or May. But I think anyone who is completely certain when the right time is - that person is talking out of their rear end. There's benefits and drawbacks to doing it at any given point.

I'm skeptical he could drag it out too long, but I'd still prefer it be closer to the election, just to maximize the big baby tears.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It was Sinclair media who said it

Specifically this guy:

https://twitter.com/anthony/status/1202626575549775875?s=21

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"As a Catholic" ughhh what the gently caress??? Shut up!

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

What is your issue with it?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Multiple expert legal testimonies agreeing that the law was broken, with breakdowns of which laws were specifically broken and by what actions, and I'm supposed to be shocked that this made the people investigating this more willing to impeach rather than less willing. Yes, that makes sense. That's how logic works.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

As a Catholic I am literally powered by hate and high balls

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1202622828165632001

Funny he says this when he's scared shitless of Trump and his Chuds

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fart Amplifier posted:

That smug, condescending moral superiority coming from a woman who had to be dragged by her feet to impeach our criminal president.

"If only you had values, you'd understand how important it is for us to do nothing to oppose him for as long as possible, until a majority of the house was in favor of impeachment while I was working tirelessly to prevent it."

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1201955465565003776?s=20

Might have been posted yesterday but Rand Paul has a “fix” to student loans

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

As a Catholic, my anxiety is through the roof thanks to my "literally everything I do is sin" upbringing

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Also I've definitely been mad enough that my brain was short-circuiting my words but holy poo poo all of our loving leaders are mush-mouthed geriatrics

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Nm not a good idea

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1201955465565003776?s=20

Might have been posted yesterday but Rand Paul has a “fix” to student loans

oh my god what an rear end in a top hat

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

As a Catholic, my anxiety is through the roof thanks to my "literally everything I do is sin" upbringing

Baptists have it better. Literally everything I do is also a sin, but heaven's bouncer is a close, personal friend.

What, a ton of baptists use their faith as a shield against people judging their ethical actions, no waaaay.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Am I alone is thinking that stomping off, even in reaction to bad faith bullshit like this you KNOW you'll be asked, is something that now is going to be CLUNG to endlessly by the CHUD-osphere media? I mean why give them ammunition like that? Just say "No. Next question please" and dismiss them entirely. Stop feeding their narrative!

EDIT

Should have watched it first, I see now she was leaving and came back. Eh. I still think that response was....not really suited for what was going on there.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 5, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Mystic Mongol posted:

That smug, condescending moral superiority coming from a woman who had to be dragged by her feet to impeach our criminal president.

"If only you had values, you'd understand how important it is for us to do nothing to oppose him for as long as possible, until a majority of the house was in favor of impeachment while I was working tirelessly to prevent it."

Let her play the game by the rules Republicans set for themselves.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

Am I alone is thinking that stomping off, even in reaction to bad faith bullshit like this you KNOW you'll be asked, is something that now is going to be CLUNG to endlessly by the CHUD-osphere media? I mean why give them ammunition like that? Just say "No. Next question please" and dismiss them entirely. Stop feeding their narrative!

Everything feeds into their narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol: the reporter is trending with people bringing up his sexual harrasment. Good move