Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

The woman with the sword is definitely Rasputin from the House/Powers of X books.

And I'm going with a definite Nanny and the Orphan Maker, Sinister, and Havok. The others I'm not sure of.

Who, it should be noted, is from well in the future in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People are saying the big figure in the back isn’t Havok but the Living Monolith.

I’m still waiting for the return of Unus the Untouchable

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

People are saying the big figure in the back isn’t Havok but the Living Monolith.

I’m still waiting for the return of Unus the Untouchable

His character is really hard to get a grip on.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aphrodite posted:

Who, it should be noted, is from well in the future in those.

Except for the blackhole brain stuff...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well no one says we cant have a future book

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Weren't one of those future X-Men sucked into a black hole, which are explicitly stated to be basically portals to outside space/time where the real Phalanx live? And since you're outside time you can go anywhere in time from there, which is why 6th Moira had to die before future blue people could ascend to Phalanx status, since they could just send robots into the timestream afterward to prevent her from ruining their plan. But wait, since they would be outside of time anyway and unaffected by whatever Moira does, why would they send assassins to prevent Moira from loving things up? HEY WAIT A MINUTE HICKMAN, I JUST FOUND A PLOT HOLE.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Schedule I found on reddit tells me we get x-men, marauders, and Excalibur this week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's literally a thread in this very forum that lists every release every week.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Psylocke and Havok on the new team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Excalibur feels like it's still laying more pieces down, but I'm still interested so that's okay, at least for now.

Marauders was good even with a distressing lack of Marauder-ing in it.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
I loved Marauders, easily my favorite book of the relaunch. I can't believe they made me care about Sebastian Shaw of all characters.

X-men was weird. I'm not sure I like the new villains. Hope it gets better next issue.

And I dropped Excalibur, i'm just not into magic or arthurian stories.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
X-Men was a riot, in my opinion, but I can see why some folks may not be up for it. Weirdness is a plus in this case, since it's a new type of threat for mutants.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Roman Herbom posted:

I loved Marauders, easily my favorite book of the relaunch.

I assume you've missed New Mutants then, probably because there's not an "x" in the title anywhere. You should fix this when you can.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wielder posted:

X-Men was a riot, in my opinion, but I can see why some folks may not be up for it. Weirdness is a plus in this case, since it's a new type of threat for mutants.

https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/1202118195991191552?s=21

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Excalibur is still holding me, the characters in it are good enough for me to stay a while. Xmen was weird but sure why not, and marauders continues being awesome. What's the brief story of shinobi shaw? It looks like a phased hand killed him? I know I've never read anything with him in it but that's all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Excalibur is still holding me, the characters in it are good enough for me to stay a while. Xmen was weird but sure why not, and marauders continues being awesome. What's the brief story of shinobi shaw? It looks like a phased hand killed him? I know I've never read anything with him in it but that's all.

Shinobi Shaw (who can control his density to phase or become super solid) was originally an Upstart and got points for killing his father and then tried to off X-Force but that didn't go so well. He more or less went into hiding for a while until he was killed by Shaw during Necrosha for reasons that escape me right now but was brought back to life by Selene later on. Then he re-joined the Upstarts, but killed himself when he found out they were actually working for his dad. The weird dents in his skull Sebastian remembers are from Shinobi phasing his own hand into his head.

He's also bisexual, apparently.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dawgstar posted:

Shinobi Shaw (who can control his density to phase or become super solid) was originally an Upstart and got points for killing his father and then tried to off X-Force but that didn't go so well. He more or less went into hiding for a while until he was killed by Shaw during Necrosha for reasons that escape me right now but was brought back to life by Selene later on. Then he re-joined the Upstarts, but killed himself when he found out they were actually working for his dad. The weird dents in his skull Sebastian remembers are from Shinobi phasing his own hand into his head.

He's also bisexual, apparently.

I always liked the little un-nibbled plot hook that Shinobi's powers are very very similar to Hellfire Club member Harry Leland and not particularly similar to Sebastian's, given the little scraps we know about mutant powers and heredity. I know it explicitly comes up at least once as something Shinobi's thought about but I guess Sebastian is either unaware or doesn't care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I always liked the little un-nibbled plot hook that Shinobi's powers are very very similar to Hellfire Club member Harry Leland and not particularly similar to Sebastian's, given the little scraps we know about mutant powers and heredity. I know it explicitly comes up at least once as something Shinobi's thought about but I guess Sebastian is either unaware or doesn't care.

Yeah, he teases Sebastian about it right before he killed him. (I honestly can't remember how Sebastian came back.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is going to be one weirdass book.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1202271581315194889

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I find it a little funny that the X-men have been making such a big deal about how important it is that they're mutants and different, while the x-books spend all their time showing how that doesn't matter in a world where people can modify their own genes and superscience themselves up whatever gadgets they want.

Which, come to think of it, might be the main point.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wiegieman posted:

I find it a little funny that the X-men have been making such a big deal about how important it is that they're mutants and different, while the x-books spend all their time showing how that doesn't matter in a world where people can modify their own genes and superscience themselves up whatever gadgets they want.

Which, come to think of it, might be the main point.

That seemed to be the main point of the first half of HoXPoX but then it seemed to move into other things like how Goldballs is God or something.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Wait, wasn't Nanny the robot that looked after de-aged Magneto?

...are there two X-Men characters named Nanny?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Was anyone else getting a Golden Girls vibe from X-Men #3?

Also in Marauders, was Shaw's dry mouth comment referring to him lusting after his naked son, or am I just perverted for assuming that?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
edit: ^natch
The only thing that would make Hordeculture better was if they are never referenced again in the X-books. It is a little odd that the eco-terrorist Golden Girls have hid so well under the superhero radar all this time and immediately monologue their plan to murder 7 billion people at the conclusion of a successful escape.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

danbanana posted:

That seemed to be the main point of the first half of HoXPoX but then it seemed to move into other things like how Goldballs is God or something.

yeah yeah sure sure, mutants and humans both become extinct at the hands of technology or something AND WE BROUGHT GOLDBALLS BACK AS MATRIARCH

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

looking forward to the x-men book where they freak out an alien culture by kissing and singing pop songs

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Was anyone else getting a Golden Girls vibe from X-Men #3?

Came here to post about the X-Men getting wrecked by the Golden Girls

Krakoa is probably the most interesting character in X-Men.

Besides X-Men, every X book is having its fourth issue on December 18.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Nanny has a fantastic design, especially under a fairly restrained penciler where the weirdness of it pops out as super eerie. I always found Bill Jaska's Nanny from Uncanny #265 super unnerving.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wait, wasn't Nanny the robot that looked after de-aged Magneto?

...are there two X-Men characters named Nanny?

At first I assumed both were connected or one was a revamp of the other but I misremembered. It's also apparently not a Claremont thing about de-aging, since the second Nanny was initially a villain in Louise Simonson's X-Factor.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 5, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

None of the issues of X-Men match up at all in plot or content! This is great! :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think I'm gonna drop X-Men until further notice. This series seems to have all the markings of the worst parts of Hickman's Avengers.

1) Some strange and inexplicable new problem happens!
2) The heroes flail ineffectually at the problem despite blabbing on end about how cool they are!
3) Nothing is solved, heroes are defeated.
4) Repeat for next issue

And Krakoa is experiencing the exact. Same. Problem. As every other X-HQ at in every other X-relaunch: enemies can apparently just walk in and kill everyone with minimal effort despite it being established for issues on end that, no for real, this time the mutant homeland is actually impenetrably safe! It just makes the X-Men seem dumb for buying into the snake oil, and I'm not usually super interested in reading about a bunch of dumb people being dumb. Usually.

DynamicSloth posted:

The only thing that would make Hordeculture better was if they are never referenced again in the X-books.
Seriously. The gag worked for about a third of a page.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good. Seeing you complaining about hickman all the time yet continueing to buy his books is annoying and baffling

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh please don't misunderstand, I will continue complaining forever. That won't change. :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cyclops getting dunked on by old ladies was the breaking point? Dang.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I liked how how weirdly casual the affair in X-Men #3 was, despite the stakes being set up. 99% of the time this kinda stuff would be handled as "THE BIGGEST THREAT EVER FACED" but nah dog, it's just a problem to be solved.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cyclops getting dunked on by old ladies was the breaking point? Dang.

Cyclops getting dunked on for his boy scout instincts was hilarious, and I'm a Cyclops fan. If they became actual, serious antagonists though the joke won't work, who wants to see our heroes stepping on the necks of octogenarian feminists?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
X-Men Vs Evil Golden Girls was incredible, and the little mini-bio of the four Hordeculture members at the end made me chuckle.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh please don't misunderstand, I will continue complaining forever. That won't change. :)

Even though I enjoy what's happening I just want to say I appreciate your criticism and don't necessarily think it's off base.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1202634135845720067

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who do they have left that could possibly top the names Orphan Maker and Scalp Hunter?

Is Apocalypse's son Holocaust still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, maybe Feral?