Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

MightyJoe36 posted:

I would gladly pay a fee for this.

I'm sorry sir, the fact that you're wasting everybody's time asking about grocery pre-check instead of noticing the many many conveniently placed signs has disqualified you from grocery pre-check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

in my industry ppl are routinely paid minimum wage and promised "performance bases bonuses" which turn out to be based not on throughput or other measurable things which can actually be affected by the person, but on getting all 10s on customer surveys and if your average drops below 9 you get $0 so anyone who believes they were gonna get more than minimum wage was fooled lql. end surveys tbh and especially end using them as a metric to discipline employees

Especially when the survey typically reflects on the last employee the customer interacts with when they often didn't even do or have any power over the thing the customer was mad about.

Also last night a customer called my store that I side-gig at to complain that I refused to take a hundred-dollar bill for a 20 buck delivery because it's literally not allowed and I didn't have change for it anyway. Thanks to the owner for telling her to gently caress off cuz I don't wanna be going around carrying hundreds in cash in the middle of the night. People that identify as "customers" have a loving brain disease.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
yeah i work in automotive and somebody complained because we didn't drive to their house with a tow truck at 11pm (we don't have a tow truck and we close at 5). eat my entire rear end you entitled fucks

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When I ask someone to do something and they agree to it but then ask me to remind them later to do it.

gently caress you, I've done my part! It's now on you to remember to do it. You have a very nice and expensive phone in your pocket, put a reminder in there!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"What do you know" as a greeting. YOU WILL NEVER LEARN MY SECRETS

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

"I'm a paramedic and deal with traumatic stuff so it's fine for me to say slurs!" - a real argument that someone just made with a straight face.

"Saying "you shouldn't say slurs (unless you are reclaiming them for an identity that you specifically have)" is political correctness gone wild!" - This Same loving Guy

luckily he is only a friend of a friend so i don't have any reason to ever talk to him again but jesus loving christ

oh can't forget the classic "If I ask him not to say slurs he will become a nazi!" - our mutual friend

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"i was a total centrist until the left-of-centre person was rude to me, then i had no choice but to become a nazi"-people who were totally not nazis all along, no way no how

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Drivers that seem to never, ever shift out of first gear. Just cruisin' around town at a safe and reasonable speed with their 140 decibel engine with no exhaust pipe left bouncing off the rev limiter.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

mycelia posted:

oh can't forget the classic "If I ask him not to say slurs he will become a nazi!" - our mutual friend

:sever:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oXac/humira-body-of-proof-drums

this commercial. You people aren't making those noises. The tambourine lady annoys me the most. Nobody gets that in to pretending to play a tambourine to distract everyone from the listing of the mountain of side effects. And that guitar guy in the back of the truck? A very punchable face.

It's even more annoying than sunset heart hands.

e: also what the gently caress is a "biologic". It's medicine. Stop trying tomake it sound like magic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oXac/humira-body-of-proof-drums

this commercial. You people aren't making those noises. The tambourine lady annoys me the most. Nobody gets that in to pretending to play a tambourine to distract everyone from the listing of the mountain of side effects. And that guitar guy in the back of the truck? A very punchable face.

It's even more annoying than sunset heart hands.

e: also what the gently caress is a "biologic". It's medicine. Stop trying tomake it sound like magic.

As someone who takes one I wish I could explain it but would need a doctor to do it. Usually they're taken intravenously.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

In most places produce has a number on it, not a barcode. It's not hard, you just put the things on the thing and type in the number and it weighs the things.
Where I live, no produce has a number or barcode on it. It's all selected through the touch screen (both at self- and normal checkout)

Before they went with pictures and touchscreens, they had a sheet printed on a rotating cylinder at the counter with the produce name and number on it. So if the employee didn't know what fruit or nut it was, you got to tell them a cheaper version.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mycelia posted:

"I'm a paramedic and deal with traumatic stuff so it's fine for me to say slurs!" - a real argument that someone just made with a straight face.

"Saying "you shouldn't say slurs (unless you are reclaiming them for an identity that you specifically have)" is political correctness gone wild!" - This Same loving Guy

luckily he is only a friend of a friend so i don't have any reason to ever talk to him again but jesus loving christ

There's a lot of people like that in EMS, and I left the first place I ever volunteered at over it. The place I volunteer at now just fired one of the paid medics because he shared a neo-nazi political cartoon on facebook, so at least some agencies are willing to stamp that poo poo out like they should.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's actually a real thing. Medicine being biologic just means that the medicine is derived from or contains components of living things (like modified proteins and stuff like that).

I get injected with Infliximab every six weeks for my Crohn's disease. Apparently it would cost me $5k+ for a visit if I lived in the US.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Dec 6, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also last night a customer called my store that I side-gig at to complain that I refused to take a hundred-dollar bill for a 20 buck delivery because it's literally not allowed and I didn't have change for it anyway. Thanks to the owner for telling her to gently caress off cuz I don't wanna be going around carrying hundreds in cash in the middle of the night. People that identify as "customers" have a loving brain disease.

Oh man, I had this to, back in the day, when I worked at a gas station, and we literally could not break 100s. Two salient circumstances come to memory:

- a guy who always came in with a hundo, and I always told him that we couldn't do it (including a time when I told him my boss told me something that I wasn't comfortable with saying because it was kinda mean), sees I'm working, and scoffs off to preemptively bitch to my boss that I wouldn't take his 100. She responded with the same thing I thought was too mean: "sir, we're a gas station, not a bank."

- another guy who I had to tell him I couldn't take his 100 for a 9.50 bill got really mad, storms off, and comes back a bit later, piling a pile of coins onto my table, telling me it's exact change. I was honest with him: "Sir, I know you did this to upset me, but our change machine is broken* and you have saved me a ton of headache at the end of the night! Thank you!". Cut to me being legitimately and genuinely happy as I spent the time counting it all out and confirming it was exact change. Which he didn't like, but couldn't do poo poo about.

* A slight lie, but couldn't say it was the fact that my boss, once again, didn't go to the bank and refill our bills to change machine, so it was running super dry and I was low key panicking over not being able to make change for the rest of my shift.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

That's actually a real thing. Medicine being biologic just means that the medicine is derived from or contains components of living things (like modified proteins and stuff like that).

I get injected with Infliximab every six weeks for my Crohn's disease. Apparently it would cost me $5k+ for a visit if I lived in the US.

as per usual, after yelling into the void about something, I looked it up and found out that it really is a thing and I'm just dumb. It does seem like a term only doctors or people who use them would know off the top of their head, but I guess that's these commercials' target audience. It's not like they're trying to convince me to go take this drug I don't need so I can play the tambourine better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Depends on your insurance but yeah they have an insane price tag.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
A simple poll for anyone who regularly carries a purse, messenger bag, etc. -- which is worse:

A) When you have your hands full of heavy grocery bags, and your purse or bag suddenly slips off your shoulder

OR

B) When you have your hands full of heavy grocery bags, and you feel your bag starting to slide off your shoulder, and you're not in a convenient place to put your groceries down and adjust the straps

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wear crossbody. Bonus: if ya got small tiddies it kinda helps make them pop if that's what ya want. But that's maybe just me.

(both situations are awful but at least in B I can kinda awkwardly prop that shoulder up and walk hunchbacked into the house/car)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Queen Combat posted:

Wear crossbody. Bonus: if ya got small tiddies it kinda helps make them pop if that's what ya want. But that's maybe just me.

(both situations are awful but at least in B I can kinda awkwardly prop that shoulder up and walk hunchbacked into the house/car)

While I don't have tiddies, nor wear a purse/messenger bag, I have a sling style back pack, and yeah, crossbody is the way to wear anything with one strap.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
People paying for stuff with cash sucks in general. You're slowing down the line for no reason and you're at a store, not a bank.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

PancakeTransmission posted:

Where I live, no produce has a number or barcode on it. It's all selected through the touch screen (both at self- and normal checkout)

Before they went with pictures and touchscreens, they had a sheet printed on a rotating cylinder at the counter with the produce name and number on it. So if the employee didn't know what fruit or nut it was, you got to tell them a cheaper version.

Hmmm... this saffron is red, and it's delicious... ring it up as "red delicious"!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Lol, just lol if you're not ringing up organic produce as regular at the self-checkout

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The Walmart I go to is almost all self checkouts, the scales are disabled because they never work, and there is never an employee looking at the checkouts instead of being stuck endlessly stocking shelves because there are like four people for the whole loving store. Punch in some vaguely believable numbers and go.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who say "worth" instead of "worth it", as in "would it be worth to do _____". Yes you are saving typing two letters/saying another word, but it just sounds stupid.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

People who say "worth" instead of "worth it", as in "would it be worth to do _____". Yes you are saving typing two letters/saying another word, but it just sounds stupid.

similar vein as this, people who drop 'it'd be' from the top of sentences. 'good if we could set a date for this' isn't a sentence, stoppit

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
People that complain about anyone complaining about language. "It's just the local dialect!!" Okay... no poo poo. It's not like I'm traveling 1000 miles and then complaining that people talk funny. I've lived in the same region my whole life and I still hear things that sound stupid to me or are downright difficult for me to parse as a sentence.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

I feel the same way about people who type "would of" instead of "would've". It's the exact same number of key strokes you dumb dumbs! I get that people sometimes just post how they talk, but it doesn't seem like to much of a stretch to ask people to know the actual words they're typing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rabbit Hill posted:

A simple poll for anyone who regularly carries a purse, messenger bag, etc. -- which is worse:

A) When you have your hands full of heavy grocery bags, and your purse or bag suddenly slips off your shoulder

OR

B) When you have your hands full of heavy grocery bags, and you feel your bag starting to slide off your shoulder, and you're not in a convenient place to put your groceries down and adjust the straps

B is worse, because in both situations the correct course of action is to stop, put stuff down and reorganise, but I will only actually do that in situation A. In situation B I will awkwardly struggle to continue carrying everything even though I know it would actually save time and effort to fix it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When your boss "asks" if you can do something. Just tell me I have to do it. You know I don't want to do it. Just order me to do it, we don't need to do this facade where I pretend that I don't mind doing it.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
People who ask for help but really just want a status update.

"Cath, you need a hand with the party?"

"Could you call another venue, get a quote?"

"No, I'm too busy."

:argh:

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.

When your boss "asks" if you can do something. Just tell me I have to do it. You know I don't want to do it. Just order me to do it, we don't need to do this facade where I pretend that I don't mind doing it.

Related: my boss will sometimes tell me to do things by simply writing “Thank you for [doing thing I haven’t done yet].” It’s not a passive-aggressive reminder — these are tasks I wouldn’t have known about till she told me — she just uses that language as a way to inform me she’s giving me something to do. But it’s not even phrased as “Thank you in advance,” which is strange, and I don’t like it.

The worst way I’ve recently been given a task, though, is by being CCed on an email in which one person tells another person that I’ll be doing something. Take 5 seconds to nominally address me as a human being!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Inspector 34 posted:

I feel the same way about people who type "would of" instead of "would've". It's the exact same number of key strokes you dumb dumbs! I get that people sometimes just post how they talk, but it doesn't seem like to much of a stretch to ask people to know the actual words they're typing.

I'm pretty sure those are just people who have heard someone say "would've" and thought that they heard "would of."
Not realizing that "would have" actually makes sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gabriel-Ernest posted:

Related: my boss will sometimes tell me to do things by simply writing “Thank you for [doing thing I haven’t done yet].” It’s not a passive-aggressive reminder — these are tasks I wouldn’t have known about till she told me — she just uses that language as a way to inform me she’s giving me something to do. But it’s not even phrased as “Thank you in advance,” which is strange, and I don’t like it.

The worst way I’ve recently been given a task, though, is by being CCed on an email in which one person tells another person that I’ll be doing something. Take 5 seconds to nominally address me as a human being!

Last year when I was working for an urgent care/occupational health thing I used to be getting ready to leave some on-site testing, take my phone outti GPS home,and see an email “confirming me for” some on-site thing I had never been told about the next day. They were so bad about that theyd often end up having me work 10+ days in a row because neither side of the business communicated regarding my schedule. It was so infuriating.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People talking about like sub-38C/100F summer mean temperatures as "hot" and bitching about how people born in places where low 30s is "a mild summer" are dumb consumerists for using AC

No one chooses to be born there and there are two sorts of places that hit those highs: rich enough for commonplace AC, or loads of kids and elderly just die every year.

Your loving mediterranean rear end where it gets to 35 a few days a year and there's increasingly a yearly heat wave that keeps killing people is going to adopt AC soon enough, RIP our planet.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Dec 9, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

it's not the heat it's the hum- *gets eaten by an alligator*

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Why is it that nearly everything with an alarm/audio notification is like 2x as loud as it needs to be?

My induction cooktop has some loud, shrill, piercing beeps.
Every time it's turned on, off, or every time you adjust the heat up or down.

Same with my noise cancelling headphones; you'd think with something that's noise cancelling, where some people might just wear them to get some nice peace and quiet, that the audio feedback wouldn't be so loud.

If I turn them off without taking them off first, they go
" :siren: BEEP! :siren: POWER! OFF!!! :byodood: "
And it's always so incredibly loud after a couple hours of noise cancelling + running a nice white noise machine in the background while working/focusing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When you’re on the phone and need to record information and someone is bugging you about who you’re talking to, and if you do tell them and possibly miss something they go “oh” and walk away.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

When you’re on the phone and need to record information and someone is bugging you about who you’re talking to, and if you do tell them and possibly miss something they go “oh” and walk away.

sever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

They should only ask if they expect a no. So when they ask if I can stay for 20 minutes longer, I say no I got things to do. I really like that part since the moment I do that they do a 180 and say that I must because of Yadda Yadda Yadda when it was initially optional.