Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So on his way out of the office my boss notified us that he forgot about the CIP deadline and needs whoever is left in the office to come up with CIP proposals for anything we might need for the next 5 years... :stare:
This includes any possible major projects we might encounter and how much they will cost.
He needs it BY TOMORROW.

For reference this is normally something that each department has a single dedicated person for and it takes that person many months or years to develop those proposals. We have been given like 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So on his way out of the office my boss notified us that he forgot about the CIP deadline and needs whoever is left in the office to come up with CIP proposals for anything we might need for the next 5 years... :stare:
This includes any possible major projects we might encounter and how much they will cost.
He needs it BY TOMORROW.

For reference this is normally something that each department has a single dedicated person for and it takes that person many months or years to develop those proposals. We have been given like 12 hours.

Take the rest of the week off. gently caress it.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Could you cut and paste from the Space Shuttle budget?

It probably won't work, but just imagine the fun if it did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just send them a notepad

$Texas

Bing bong so easy

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sounds like he knows his rear end is on the line.

Let him crash and burn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He needs it BY TOMORROW.

Hahahahaha, this isn't something that can reasonably come up with in 12 hours by random underlings not working together.

Your boss isn't an organized leader.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Shut up Meg posted:

I'd love to see them try that method here.

Yep. So much stuff, if I can bring my laptop, sky's the limit.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

This. I think we all joke about how great it would be to slack on the job, but the reality is that it gets really rough not utilizing one’s own potential. I get very down and discouraged doing meaningless work or make-work tasks and I need good projects at home and at work to keep me feeling like I’m “moving forward” whatever that means.

Not having clear work available or being able to do anything valuable is horrible.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I dunno. After 21 years in industry I could literally not do anything for a bit.

But by the time I tried to come back I’d be so out of date I’d end up at a msp googling how to install printer drivers

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just started my second week of working graves yesterday and I have to say, waking up when it's already dark out kind of sucks. My office is also in the middle of the building with no windows, which is a shame because I love watching the sun rise and the first light on the mountains.

Easy work, though, but it ties in with what people were saying. I need to work on certs or something overnight but (E/N) I'm currently undereducated due to being between psychiatrists and have no motivation. So I do jack poo poo, and I get the feeling it's not going to get me as much Linux experience as I was hoping with the job title.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just started my second week of working graves yesterday and I have to say, waking up when it's already dark out kind of sucks. My office is also in the middle of the building with no windows, which is a shame because I love watching the sun rise and the first light on the mountains.

Easy work, though, but it ties in with what people were saying. I need to work on certs or something overnight but (E/N) I'm currently undereducated due to being between psychiatrists and have no motivation. So I do jack poo poo, and I get the feeling it's not going to get me as much Linux experience as I was hoping with the job title.

Try to schedule an hour of your time per day, 2 days or week even to experiment with linux if you are eager to learn it.

Pick some typical / common tech things lots of companies use and implement it. You could start with a virtualbox environment. Bonus points if you do it in the cloud.

- install server manually
- play around with disk partitioning
- create some users and groups
- install http server
- put haproxy in front of your http server
- install ELK stack
- install nagios/zabbix
- install docker
- dockerize all previous applications
- move it all to your container orchestrator of choice

Everything takes time to learn. Some poo poo will be hard, some will be easier. Once you get the hang of it, it’ll become easier to figure out how to solve problems.

But the first step is to actually do it. Doesn’t have to be binge learning 80 hours a week. But you have to just start. Doing nothing will not gain you any new knowledge, you’ll just keep repeating the same thing over and over again: “I can’t do it because x y z”. Fact of the matter is that you can do it. But only you can start doing it. Nobody else can do that for you.

So if you really want it, start scheduling time to do start and stick to it. Motivation can be an absolute bitch, especially if you loads of E/N stuff going on. But you have to push through if you want to move on.

If you need any help, feel free to dm.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

jaegerx posted:

But by the time I tried to come back I’d be so out of date I’d end up at a msp googling how to install printer drivers

This is pretty much what happened to me. I got stuck in one of those "jack of all trades" jobs where I could do just enough to keep the wolves from the door but spent a lot of my time twatting about on forums and random browsing. when I finally got motivated to get out I had a massive uphill battle to sharpen my skills up again.

Unfortunately I ended up in government IT, so now I'm back in (well paid) techno limbo

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Zotix posted:

I was also thinking of python. What are the pros/cons of Go vs Python?

Someone else should do an :effort: post, but I know just enough of both to keep getting hired as an SRE. Python is great when you need to write a quick script to interact with something like the AWS SDK. It's easy to deal with the API data structures and reason about how to get the output you need. But it's slow and the lack of types is annoying once you get used to working with a strongly typed language. Also the 2v3 thing can be a PITA if you're trying to create scripts that need to run on multiple machines with different PIP libraries installed and different versions of system python in play.

Golang is hard to understand at first if you're coming from Python (at least for dummies like me) but it's very fast, super easy to build binaries from that will work everywhere, and most importantly makes it easier to understand devops tools. Go templates are used in Terraform, Kops, Helm, and kubernetes itself. Knowing how to read Go, even if you can't write it well makes reading through k8s issues and code comments much MUCH easier.

If you don't code at all, I'm not sure which I'd recommend first. Python is so quick to pick up, you can start having fun really quickly. "Automate The Easy Stuff" is a great Python starter book, and you can have some easy fun with public APIs, or even scraping web pages. Golang can feel like a slog, but once you get the hang of it, it's really rewarding to look at a snippet of kubernetes code and see what it's trying to do and figure out exactly how you should interact with it.

If you don't have much time to spend on it, just pick one and stick with it. I only worked with Python and bash for a long time because that's all I needed for my job. Once I decided I needed to learn Go, it's all I used for a long time and I found it very difficult to go back to Python. I basically had to relearn a lot of it. If you're going to commit to writing code every day, I'd say switch between 3-4 languages to help reenforce higher level programming concepts while slowly picking up the syntax of multiple languages. If you just need to bang out useful scripts quickly, Python is definitely the easiest. If you need a single binary you can distribute widely, Go will make things a lot easier in the long run.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

taqueso posted:

Good point. *starts trimming nails in open office while working on my a capella christmas song practice*

Are you my ex-colleague?

I've worked with people who sat around all day and did nothing except putting out a fire when it happened, they complained a lot about having nothing to do and were a bunch of miserable little shits because of boredom.

DONT TOUCH THE PC fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 5, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

skipdogg posted:

It has it's pros and cons. It's fun for a while, but can get old pretty quick.

All my projects got cancelled in Oct 2018 due to the pending acquisition, and I really haven't done a whole lot of actual work since. The acquisition closed in April, and I was put on a new team. Our team really wont start ramping up with work until after the first of the year. I WFH, so I watch a lot of Netflix/videos, can play Xbox, whatever around the house. I make sure I'm available during business hours though, don't want to lose the WFH privilege.

Not really accomplishing anything in the last 14 months though kind of sucks. I should be more disciplined and spend this time learning new stuff and keeping my skills sharp, but I'm in a bit of a work funk to be honest. That sense of accomplishment is missing the last year or so, and it can be a bit of a drag. Not that big of a drag though, it's pretty awesome to get paid to just keep Teams green and attend a few meetings a week. Next year should ramp up quickly, it'll get pretty nuts after the new year and things should go back to normal.

Many many years ago, our QA department needed some help with a Sat TV DVR we were developing. They flew some of us out to HQ for a month to help out. Everyone's dream job is to sit around and watch TV all day right? That got boring after a week. The QA testplans were like
-Record a movie
-Watch the movie
-FF the recorded movie at 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x
-Rewind the movie at trickplay speeds

If the system crashes duplicate it and file a QA ticket.

How in the world is that a task worth flying people to HQ to do?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Coincidentally, I had already taken the rest of the week off before that happened.
Apparently he's not coming in today either though...

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Had an on-site meeting with our ‘security management’ vendor. They also had a webex going to talk to some employees back at their office. Whoever was on the line was just pounding in their keyboard right next to the mic and the CEO asked them to find another keyboard like 4 times.

It’s such a poo poo show, we could get so much more done hiring a single competent internal employee.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

What do you expect us to do? It's not like we can just ship the DVR to them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shut up Meg posted:

I'd love to see them try that method here.

You took my red stapler!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Someone else should do an :effort: post, but I know just enough of both to keep getting hired as an SRE. Python is great when you need to write a quick script to interact with something like the AWS SDK. It's easy to deal with the API data structures and reason about how to get the output you need. But it's slow and the lack of types is annoying once you get used to working with a strongly typed language. Also the 2v3 thing can be a PITA if you're trying to create scripts that need to run on multiple machines with different PIP libraries installed and different versions of system python in play.

Golang is hard to understand at first if you're coming from Python (at least for dummies like me) but it's very fast, super easy to build binaries from that will work everywhere, and most importantly makes it easier to understand devops tools. Go templates are used in Terraform, Kops, Helm, and kubernetes itself. Knowing how to read Go, even if you can't write it well makes reading through k8s issues and code comments much MUCH easier.

If you don't code at all, I'm not sure which I'd recommend first. Python is so quick to pick up, you can start having fun really quickly. "Automate The Easy Stuff" is a great Python starter book, and you can have some easy fun with public APIs, or even scraping web pages. Golang can feel like a slog, but once you get the hang of it, it's really rewarding to look at a snippet of kubernetes code and see what it's trying to do and figure out exactly how you should interact with it.

If you don't have much time to spend on it, just pick one and stick with it. I only worked with Python and bash for a long time because that's all I needed for my job. Once I decided I needed to learn Go, it's all I used for a long time and I found it very difficult to go back to Python. I basically had to relearn a lot of it. If you're going to commit to writing code every day, I'd say switch between 3-4 languages to help reenforce higher level programming concepts while slowly picking up the syntax of multiple languages. If you just need to bang out useful scripts quickly, Python is definitely the easiest. If you need a single binary you can distribute widely, Go will make things a lot easier in the long run.

Thank you!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bigass Moth posted:

They flew in call center employees making 12 bucks an hour to San Jose for 2 weeks at a time. I'm guessing it was much cheaper to pay for us to fly out there, have them put us up, then hiring temp QA people from a firm out there.

Our location didn't have the infrastructure in place to test the devices. The entire QA team, lab, and equipment was in San Jose.

This was also circa 2005.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LochNessMonster posted:

Try to schedule an hour of your time per day, 2 days or week even to experiment with linux if you are eager to learn it.

Pick some typical / common tech things lots of companies use and implement it. You could start with a virtualbox environment. Bonus points if you do it in the cloud.

- install server manually
- play around with disk partitioning
- create some users and groups
- install http server
- put haproxy in front of your http server
- install ELK stack
- install nagios/zabbix
- install docker
- dockerize all previous applications
- move it all to your container orchestrator of choice

Everything takes time to learn. Some poo poo will be hard, some will be easier. Once you get the hang of it, it’ll become easier to figure out how to solve problems.

But the first step is to actually do it. Doesn’t have to be binge learning 80 hours a week. But you have to just start. Doing nothing will not gain you any new knowledge, you’ll just keep repeating the same thing over and over again: “I can’t do it because x y z”. Fact of the matter is that you can do it. But only you can start doing it. Nobody else can do that for you.

So if you really want it, start scheduling time to do start and stick to it. Motivation can be an absolute bitch, especially if you loads of E/N stuff going on. But you have to push through if you want to move on.

If you need any help, feel free to dm.

To add to this, keep a log of what you do and then try to do all of this with Ansible. Jinja and YAML is incredibly easy to pick up and if you can get it to the point where you can scratch the box and run a playbook to get it to exactly where you are then you'll have a good first step into learning automation.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Methanar posted:

Not having clear work available or being able to do anything valuable is horrible.

I quit a do-nothing six-figure job because spending 40 hours a week being disempowered from doing anything but the bare minimum to keep the lights on caused me actual diagnosed depression.

Played a lot of Skyrim on the Switch though.

e: I should add it wasn’t just my boss who thought this way. It was endemic all the way up to the CTO, in the tech division of a larger org that actually did stuff.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 5, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

One of the things I took on when I started at the new job was that I inherited some managers of questionable quality. The rest of the teams are great so I am grateful for that at least.

One manager came in at 10, left at 2, and generally didn't show any real usefulness. His email activity was fewer than 6 emails on average sent a week.
The person who hired him is long gone and generally has kept his head down for so long that his direct reports do what they need to do without him. We had a come to jesus meeting, he didn't speak much, but I got him to promise to put in more of a work day with some structured projects for him to complete. Nothing really busy or challenging, just something that I could sell as being productive to keep him on board. The next day he left at noon and didn't show up the next day after. I asked him what was going on and he said he had things to do and wouldn't elaborate. Bizarre as gently caress. I now have to start the process with HR and its not what I wanted to do at all in my first month here.

The next manager has a title of "IT manager" and he basically has 2 help desk reports. The manager in question is related to a peer of mine on the AVP level that works in accounting. He is pleasant, he is respectful, and most of all he does the work he is asked to do. Its also his first job and he is all of 25 years old. The issue I have with him is that because of his relative in finance, he is kept more in the loop on the average compensation of new hires we get within our IT division. We brought on some Sr folks (from my old company) that don't report to him, but obviously make much more than he does.

He came to me unhappy that he is a manager and non-manager employees make much more than he does. We talked about why they make what they make. We talked about how managers don't necessarily need to make more than the people they manage especially for high demand, high skill positions. I also told him that no, we take him from 65k to 130k because that wouldn't make sense for what he does for the company. I tried my best to listen, to advise, and most of all be respectful to the fact that he believed in his head a reality in which didn't exist and that this was going to upset him. He has now called in sick the last 3 days.

Having catered lunch 3 days a week rules though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

It's the 4th quarter board meeting this week, so I get catered lunches all week. Super nice. Sadly only a quarterly thing for me though.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

One of the things I took on when I started at the new job was that I inherited some managers of questionable quality. The rest of the teams are great so I am grateful for that at least.

One manager came in at 10, left at 2, and generally didn't show any real usefulness. His email activity was fewer than 6 emails on average sent a week.
The person who hired him is long gone and generally has kept his head down for so long that his direct reports do what they need to do without him. We had a come to jesus meeting, he didn't speak much, but I got him to promise to put in more of a work day with some structured projects for him to complete. Nothing really busy or challenging, just something that I could sell as being productive to keep him on board. The next day he left at noon and didn't show up the next day after. I asked him what was going on and he said he had things to do and wouldn't elaborate. Bizarre as gently caress. I now have to start the process with HR and its not what I wanted to do at all in my first month here.

The next manager has a title of "IT manager" and he basically has 2 help desk reports. The manager in question is related to a peer of mine on the AVP level that works in accounting. He is pleasant, he is respectful, and most of all he does the work he is asked to do. Its also his first job and he is all of 25 years old. The issue I have with him is that because of his relative in finance, he is kept more in the loop on the average compensation of new hires we get within our IT division. We brought on some Sr folks (from my old company) that don't report to him, but obviously make much more than he does.

He came to me unhappy that he is a manager and non-manager employees make much more than he does. We talked about why they make what they make. We talked about how managers don't necessarily need to make more than the people they manage especially for high demand, high skill positions. I also told him that no, we take him from 65k to 130k because that wouldn't make sense for what he does for the company. I tried my best to listen, to advise, and most of all be respectful to the fact that he believed in his head a reality in which didn't exist and that this was going to upset him. He has now called in sick the last 3 days.

I appreciate your trash fires and the fact that you're actually doing your best to manage these challenges in a levelheaded way!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My board meetings also are happening this week. No lunches for me though, just the knowledge that there's a room upstairs with a written rule of if you place any piece of your body into it you are not allowed to trade stocks for the next few months.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Got a question for infrastructure engineers.

I started off in helpdesk, worked my way into sysadmin, then senior sysadmin, then hybrid sysadmin/engineer, now engineer. All in Windows, with the sysadmin/engineer role a hybrid Windows/VMware/Azure role. My present engineering role is that of an Azure infrastructure specialist.

I've only been this pure engineer for around 2ish months now. The previous hybrid role was just for a year, which I left due to a verbally abusive director.

My present boss (who is a decent human being, at least) keeps on asking me to think of things that might improve or be useful for Azure as a downtime filler. I've tried just kinda going around looking for "hey, what's a good practice for Azure outside of MS' best practices" but I'm not finding much. We've got an onsite Azure tech who does basically whatever we want and he's great for putting together scripts/code for deployments, templates, etc. I have one co-worker, same duties, and we have the standard MS tech support and account reps.

He made mention again today that we're out to contribute even without direction. I'm kinda lost as to what I should be doing - I tend to work best with "we need to do X" or "Y is an obstacle," at which point I can figure stuff out. It's problem-solving, it's building or planning, it's stuff I can do. I just feel like I can't go around thinking of Good Things To Do without knowing what the goal is, what the business need driving the problem is, etc.

Am I alone in this? Is this an anomaly of how infrastructure engineering works, or am I just still very green to engineering with a boss that is overestimating my experience and knowledge?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MJP posted:

Got a question for infrastructure engineers.

I started off in helpdesk, worked my way into sysadmin, then senior sysadmin, then hybrid sysadmin/engineer, now engineer. All in Windows, with the sysadmin/engineer role a hybrid Windows/VMware/Azure role. My present engineering role is that of an Azure infrastructure specialist.

I've only been this pure engineer for around 2ish months now. The previous hybrid role was just for a year, which I left due to a verbally abusive director.

My present boss (who is a decent human being, at least) keeps on asking me to think of things that might improve or be useful for Azure as a downtime filler. I've tried just kinda going around looking for "hey, what's a good practice for Azure outside of MS' best practices" but I'm not finding much. We've got an onsite Azure tech who does basically whatever we want and he's great for putting together scripts/code for deployments, templates, etc. I have one co-worker, same duties, and we have the standard MS tech support and account reps.

He made mention again today that we're out to contribute even without direction. I'm kinda lost as to what I should be doing - I tend to work best with "we need to do X" or "Y is an obstacle," at which point I can figure stuff out. It's problem-solving, it's building or planning, it's stuff I can do. I just feel like I can't go around thinking of Good Things To Do without knowing what the goal is, what the business need driving the problem is, etc.

Am I alone in this? Is this an anomaly of how infrastructure engineering works, or am I just still very green to engineering with a boss that is overestimating my experience and knowledge?

I would say you're not alone, there should be some reason for doing work otherwise you're just doing stuff to fill time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if your work isn't benefiting the business that is paying you to do it, then why are you doing it?

You should definitely be getting some sort of direction from above, even if it's very loose like "We want to cut costs in Azure X a month" or "Look into moving from Azure to AWS and what it would take to do so and monthly costs afterwards" or any other infinite amount of things that they could tell you to work towards.

It sounds like your IT management structure doesn't have a plan, generally directors/VP level folks in business units should be making 1, 3, and 5 year plans. In the next year we aim to get rid of our on prem phone system and move to cloud VOIP because it's loving fancy and the on prem system is 8 years old; in the next 3 years we aim to do X, Y and Z because of A, B, C and we are starting to see trends that point to D, etc. They don't have to be followed strictly as you can't always predict the future, but there should be some sort of planning.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm moving into a position where I'm going to be leading a team with 5 others, and all but 1 of them are older than me (for the record I'm 33). I don't know how much of an issue it will be in reality, but I've got some anxiety about being in a leadership role with people that are older than me, and worry I'll have issues getting them to "follow" me so to speak.

Anyone have any personal experience or advice on this?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm moving into a position where I'm going to be leading a team with 5 others, and all but 1 of them are older than me (for the record I'm 33). I don't know how much of an issue it will be in reality, but I've got some anxiety about being in a leadership role with people that are older than me, and worry I'll have issues getting them to "follow" me so to speak.

I don't have any experience but I'm also 33 and I don't think people care about your age around this range as long as they respect you

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The answer is always $currentBuzzword. Install git and tell him you're using blockchain-adjacent technologies now (why yes, I *am* reading 50 Foot Blockchain right now). Install the Azure Machine Learning service and make something up. Set up a pipeline test. Do something weird with linux.

I'm in the same boat though. We're waiting on a bunch of budget to get approved and for the last two months been spinning our wheels. Senior Management is doing the "Show us something productive" dance. So yeah, we installed Gitlab. I poked around a Kali install on Azure. Wrote a poo poo ton of documentation.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

I would say you're not alone, there should be some reason for doing work otherwise you're just doing stuff to fill time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if your work isn't benefiting the business that is paying you to do it, then why are you doing it?

You should definitely be getting some sort of direction from above, even if it's very loose like "We want to cut costs in Azure X a month" or "Look into moving from Azure to AWS and what it would take to do so and monthly costs afterwards" or any other infinite amount of things that they could tell you to work towards.

It sounds like your IT management structure doesn't have a plan, generally directors/VP level folks in business units should be making 1, 3, and 5 year plans. In the next year we aim to get rid of our on prem phone system and move to cloud VOIP because it's loving fancy and the on prem system is 8 years old; in the next 3 years we aim to do X, Y and Z because of A, B, C and we are starting to see trends that point to D, etc. They don't have to be followed strictly as you can't always predict the future, but there should be some sort of planning.

We're in an odd spot - Azure is relatively new for my current company. AWS was the cloud provider of choice and has been in use for the past two or so years but Azure is still going through a lot of foundational and structural work. I've done plenty of work - I've been instrumental in setting policies, procedures, processes, and how things will look for overall Azure structural stuff, either on my own or as part of the team. Right now we don't have specific business use cases other than "make Azure usable within company and industry requirements," which are plentiful and will definitely continue to occupy us into 2020.

It's just kinda hard not having Things To Do other than follow up on ongoing stuff or wait for someone else or some other group to sound off so I can work, and I want to be sure I'm the right kind of person to be an engineer. I've been feeling like engineering isn't the same thing as being a sysadmin - there's not as much stuff to do.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The magic phrase for doing filler stuff in a public cloud is Cost Accounting.

Go steal community grafana graphs that relate instance type to dollars and graphs that relate real cpu/memory/disk consumption to whats available. Then have some aggregation that shows dollars spent and wasted by having excessively large instances.

Go through s3 or whatever and delete the tens of terabytes of obsolete stuff nobody has cared about in 5 years and will never care about again.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FISHMANPET posted:

How much older?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sepist posted:

I don't have any experience but I'm also 33 and I don't think people care about your age around this range as long as they respect you

This has been my experience. Tech people are used to very capable young people, and OP isn't exactly a spring chicken at this point anyway.

And if you aren't respected being older won't help much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Methanar posted:

Go steal community grafana graphs that relate instance type to dollars and graphs that relate real cpu/memory/disk consumption to whats available. Then have some aggregation that shows dollars spent and wasted by having excessively large instances.

Go through s3 or whatever and delete the tens of terabytes of obsolete stuff nobody has cared about in 5 years and will never care about again.

gently caress, I thought I was doing something special there but no, other goons are doing it too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

If you’re in azure there is a product called overcost that does a lot of this for you. It has a free tier if you’re under a certain spend limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
A well known university medical center wants to hire me for a substantial boost over my current salary. However, I have only been in my current job for 6 months and my boss is well known in the field, so moving so soon might earn me some bad guy points in the community. What would you do?