Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The point of Red Scare is to demonstrate that the USSR and US in 2019 have friendly relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

You know how Dr Manhattan has the power to create duplicates of himself?

Maybe Cal isn’t the only one.

That's what I thought at first, too, but then I read in Peteypedia that Angela and Cal met in the 2010s. It's a lot simpler to explain why Manhattan came back to Earth than it is to explain what a second Manhattan was doing dicking around on Earth since the mid 80s.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm thinkin Topher got a Manhattan upgrade in his brain

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Xanderkish posted:

The Wire hasn't aged poorly.

Am I saying this show is like The Wire? No

Am I saying there should be a Watchmen/The Wire crossover series? Yes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of

KoRMaK posted:

I rewatched the episode and was taking notes and realized alot of my notes highlighted how woman heavy the cast and characters is. As opposed to the comic, where Laurie was just there to date people, instead in the show there's a lot of women with their own character independent of men. Including Laurie, giving character a stronger role

Is you taking notes on a tele loving vision show?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Please do this with more lines from the Wire and scenes from the comic.

Or vice versa.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Get Richard Belzer to cameo as the 2020 version thin cop guy from the book.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xanderkish posted:

Dr. Omar comin!

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

feedmyleg posted:

That's what I thought at first, too, but then I read in Peteypedia that Angela and Cal met in the 2010s. It's a lot simpler to explain why Manhattan came back to Earth than it is to explain what a second Manhattan was doing dicking around on Earth since the mid 80s.

Maybe all the Manhattans appeared at the same time, in different places.

He doesn’t tell his wife everything.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Please do this with more lines from the Wire and scenes from the comic.

Or vice versa.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:perfect:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

This is a work of art

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Incredible.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

:yeshaha:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Immaculate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I was waiting for someone to replace all the dialogue with "gently caress!" I just wasn't sure which scene they'd pick :allears:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Really a lot of scenes from Watchmen would be improved with the dialogue from that scene.

Really a lot of scenes from any work of fiction could be improved with the dialogue from that scene.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

First panel: N****a
Second panel: ...is you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

This needs to be at the top of the page if this is the last post.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Something I never got about Watchmen is that Rorschach acts like it's a revelation that Blake is the Comedian, but in the 40s Sally is calling him "Eddie" and in the 70s Dreiberg is calling him "Blake."

Not to mention if Blake was just some rando why is Rorschach investigating?

Was Rorschach somehow the least informed masked adventurer?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Something I never got about Watchmen is that Rorschach acts like it's a revelation that Blake is the Comedian, but in the 40s Sally is calling him "Eddie" and in the 70s Dreiberg is calling him "Blake."

Ya see, Walter wasn't exactly a *air quotes the size of the giant foam fingers at sports* "people person".

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Amazing

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Do we know yet who's playing Dr. Manhattan?

It's not melancholy Billy Crudup and that's a tragedy.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

He initially investigates because he overhears the two detectives talking about how much of a pain in the rear end it would be if Rorschach found out about the homicide. He doesn't realize it's the Comedian's apartment until he finds the gear. As for why he doesn't know who the Comedian is, it seems like most costumed adventurers kept that poo poo under wraps, even from each other. Dr. Manhattan doesn't even know Rorschach's real name.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

just another posted:

Do we know yet who's playing Dr. Manhattan?

It's not melancholy Billy Crudup and that's a tragedy.

Uhhhh..... have you watched the show?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Outstanding

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Can someone subtitle the Stringer Bell death with Rorschach’s last words or vice verse

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MaoistBanker posted:

I could've seen them go the direction of casting someone else for post-hammer Manhattan, especially if there was going to be a Osterman flashback at any point, but I'm glad they aren't.

Weedle posted:

He initially investigates because he overhears the two detectives talking about how much of a pain in the rear end it would be if Rorschach found out about the homicide. He doesn't realize it's the Comedian's apartment until he finds the gear. As for why he doesn't know who the Comedian is, it seems like most costumed adventurers kept that poo poo under wraps, even from each other. Dr. Manhattan doesn't even know Rorschach's real name.

It could just be a misreading that stuck with me from my first read as a dumb teenager, but I always figure that Rorschach suspected that Blake was The Comedian hence his investigation. Why look for secrets during a routine murder? Does he poke around for buttons in the houses of every murder he stumbles across? It always felt too coincidental that of all the murders in the city he just happens to investigate his old teammate's.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

MaoistBanker posted:

My bad, I assumed it was a different actor because I didn't recognize the voice as the same in the preview.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the edits are amazing

i mean, duh, but still worth posting

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

KoRMaK posted:

the edits are amazing

i mean, duh, but still worth posting

Okay, but it could have just as easily turned out that Angela was the Comedian's secret daughter and people could have been like "of course, the clues were on the poster the whole time!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Okay, but it could have just as easily turned out that Angela was the Comedian's secret daughter and people could have been like "of course, the clues were on the poster the whole time!"
Yea but like, cmon only one person in the series glows blue. You make an asboulutely fair point tho. They walked a fine line between putting things in there and not putting things in there. Whole show keeps doing that. Maybe thats the motiff of the season - things hiding in plain sight?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Yeah, but the other color in there is red, what's that about?

I for one can't wait for the episode 9 twist that Angela was a juicy tomato this whole time.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Not saying there can't be hints dropped and all that, just--I mean, there's only so many colors that go well with a yellow background, and sometimes something's just blue because it wouldn't look good orange.

I could be wrong. I will track down the designer of the poster and interrogate him, using the techniques I learned from Angela.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

Yeah stuff like this is fun at first but it starts to get tiresome. I mean sure it's cute you can write trieu in such a way that if you turn it upside down it looks like veidt...but that's the type of stuff you should be adding late in the writing process. After you clean up the drat dialogue.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't understand the Watchmen lore but how is it remotely impossible to kill Manhattan and take his powers? Wouldn't it take the greatest scientists in the world and not some yokels from Tulsa? Unless Lady Trieu is part of the 7th?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Niwrad posted:

I don't understand the Watchmen lore but how is it remotely impossible to kill Manhattan and take his powers? Wouldn't it take the greatest scientists in the world and not some yokels from Tulsa? Unless Lady Trieu is part of the 7th?

So Veidt actually did try to do it by dissassembling him in the same way Jon Osterman was originally disassembled. This didn't work, because atomic reassembly was one of the first things he learned how to do.

So basically, there's no way to kill him and the 7th Kalvalry is filled with morons.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Niwrad posted:

Keene obviously has access to classified information if he knows the truth about 11/2. It's not unfeasible that the US government has been researching contingency plans in the even that Manhattan ever went rogue, or that they've collected intelligence into Soviet research about the same.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely believe Trieu is involved. But it's not like the 7K doesn't already have some pretty powerful support from a lifetime Senator and Presidential candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Niwrad posted:

Actually there's a really loving funny the scene this show can have for Viedt since he couldn't figure out how to kill Manhattan but a bunch of drunk rednecks figure it out.