Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

marktheando posted:

Also there are like very very very few (are there any?) cases of cis male sex offenders pretending to be trans to get access to women's spaces compared to the lots of cases of trans people getting assaulted for using the 'wrong' changing room or toilet.

As a tran I'm obviously biased so I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, the only people who have ever deliberately abused self-ID have been terfs trying to go "Look how easy it is!", usually right before they are welcomed with open arms by groups who don't judge a trans man who presents as a woman or whatever.

Yes, there are trans people who do terrible things, but we don't do them because we are trans, and loving over trans people because of cis people being abusive seems, uh...

e; in 1973 Skylab was launched, more proof of the inability of government to get things done.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just spent a few hours at the local train station handing out a ton of leaflets. Decent response, the occassional negative comment but nothing major. There is no way this place is turning red but hey

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23J3yB5Mmjg

The Guardian went around the north and no one is voting labour but lol at that guy who didn't know what a trade union was.

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 5, 2019

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
I think I'm having a bit of a home-straight wobble :v: Dealing with my colleagues constantly re-melting to a Bristol 7 and deciding to vote sodding Green or whatever the gently caress. Traipsing round sprawling estates that stink of fear and suspicion and ingrown privilege. Talking to people that don't want to talk. It's addictive but it isn't always fun, is it?

It's the patients and the nurses at my work keeping me halfway on track right now. There's a lot of hope invested in the Labour party today. Someone said, 'imagine having Corbyn as PM,' and instead of proceeding to the handwringing...smiled and said, 'someone that actually wants to help people'. It pisses me off so much that a thought like that should seem outlandish.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chuka Umana posted:

The Guardian went around the north and no one is voting labour but lol at that guy who didn't know what a trade union was.

the tories have destroyed people

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

7 more sleeps. Remember to vote and not just post here all day.

quote:

As a tran I'm obviously biased so I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, the only people who have ever deliberately abused self-ID have been terfs trying to go "Look how easy it is!", usually right before they are welcomed with open arms by groups who don't judge a trans man who presents as a woman or whatever.

I'm always sort of baffled by TERFs and the whole Gervais style transphobic attacks/humour, as in I can't really understand where they're coming from or why they think it's amusing (or sharing jokes to test the water like other cunts) - sooner all this poo poo ends the better.

Even if you couldn't or didn't want to understand trans people, whenever has taking the piss of people based on their identity been alright in retrospect when people wake up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A million little fortresses, of fences, newspapers and thoughts. A million minds enclosed by moats of media. A million hearts full of fear, cringing and biting at everything near.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I don’t follow British politics that much, but Labor is gonna win this upcoming election, right? How are things looking?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I don’t follow British politics that much, but Labor is gonna win this upcoming election, right? How are things looking?

Maybe

Well they won't be the largest party but maybe Corbyn could be PM in a minority government

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Sexual Aluminum posted:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It's looking likely to be a hung parliament with no overall majority government, last time this happened the Lib Dems got in bed with the Conservatives starting the onslaught of diarrhoea we have today.

It's also incredibly hard to tell, usually you can sense which way it's going to go - personally I think we will win by a decent amount with young voter engagement. This election has felt a lot more different than others in that the effect the internet and media have had on perceptions and messaging. The US elections next year is going to be like the Parallax View or summat.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sexual Aluminum posted:

It was yesterday. We won

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Chuff McNothing posted:

Neoliberalism is literally the perfect ideology in the way the Alien from Alien was the perfect organism.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Been feeling like crap for the past 6 weeks but I've taken the 12th off to help out. My nearest marginals are Enfield Southgate, Chipping Barnet and Chingford, which one should I go for? Southgate only went Labour for the first time at the last election, so its defensive rather than offensive, but it's also much lower profile than the other 2, so maybe they will be more in need? Chipping Barnet is apparently the most marginal constituency in London, but Chingford is IDS's seat, and I loving despise him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

justcola posted:

It's looking likely to be a hung parliament with no overall majority government, last time this happened the Lib Dems got in bed with the Conservatives starting the onslaught of diarrhoea we have today.

It's also incredibly hard to tell, usually you can sense which way it's going to go - personally I think we will win by a decent amount with young voter engagement. This election has felt a lot more different than others in that the effect the internet and media have had on perceptions and messaging. The US elections next year is going to be like the Parallax View or summat.

Entirely anecdotal but there are people on my social media circles posting labour stuff who were either completely disengaged from politics or would never have been so open about their support. Its been a few very strange weeks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From canvassing I would say I think there is a core of labour support that doesn't go away, but there is also a chunk of people who want more blair/less diane abbot/more racism/less corbyn. They have, presumably, drifted away either to brexit, conservative, or not voting. They're also the kind to be home at 11 o clock in the morning on a tuesday.

They have been replaced by younger voters who understand that what is offered is good and a step towards making their lives better. But they're also the kind who don't show up in polls and the press very well. We've had quite a few young volunteers, and all of them have been quite a lot like me politically. They've energy and hope and righteous anger. And presumably a cool couple million of them have registered since 2017.

They're the future, the question is whether they're enough to win it for us now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

I know what you mean, I've been a big believer in "you don't remove others rights/freedoms to elevate those of others" (so you don't gently caress over LGBT to help women, you don't gently caress over black people to help LGBT etc etc) and this seems to be an argument aimed squarely at that. My instinctual response to that is "well a man could do that anyway and it'd be illegal and there's laws against that" or "well how do you deal with women assaulting other women in these places?" but then I run into how loving scared women in shelters must be and is smack in the middle of a time of trauma the time to be opening minds and dealing with bigotry?
Safety is always the priority in these spaces, but it has to be inclusive and proportionate safety.

If a straight guy is a victim of rape where the perpetrator is a man and becomes virulently homophobic as a result (bad, but you could see why with our current stunted social view of sex and gender), then he should be welcomed at a men's survivor group, but absolutely shouldn't be allowed to demand 'no gays, because they're all rapist perverts' as a condition of attending that group. He could be placed in a subgroup to help him as long as it's not to the detriment of others using the service, but he shouldn't be able to make other people there uncomfortable, especially if they're people (like gay and bi men) who are a lot more likely to be a victim of rape or sexual assault.

Same goes for trans women in women's groups. Trans women may be a minority of women, but locking people who are disproportionately likely to face abuse out of support groups is bad and makes for a lovely support group. (And also reduces the ability to share experiences and learn.)

justcola posted:

I'm always sort of baffled by TERFs and the whole Gervais style transphobic attacks/humour, as in I can't really understand where they're coming from or why they think it's amusing (or sharing jokes to test the water like other cunts) - sooner all this poo poo ends the better.

Even if you couldn't or didn't want to understand trans people, whenever has taking the piss of people based on their identity been alright in retrospect when people wake up.
It's because you're not allowed to make the exact same jokes about gay people any more.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chuka Umana posted:

Chuff McNothing posted:

You do realize that the way they make these things is by interviewing a lot of people and then only showing the answers that fit the narrative that's being pushed, right?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It's going to come down to turnout. The olds are going to vote Tory. Younger voters Labour.
It all comes down to how many of each group comes out on the day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And we'll be there to help get them out. Our volunteer rates have climbed over the weeks, a lot of effort has been reserved for the coming week.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The. Swinzone.

Whatever happens after the GE, I really cannot wait for the LibDem staff to leak live sieves about this shite campaign.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

an_mutt posted:

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1202670973713031168?s=20

lmao my goodness

(Tarry is the current Labour candidate for Gapes's seat)

I'm returning to my usual bleakness, but my god this election has had some glorious moments

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Wish I could get out and do more on the day. I'm not allowed to take annual leave in December. And just got assigned to sickness cover for a couple of elderly wards an hour's drive away on Dec 13. That'll be fun on no sleep!

All my energy for the people driving and getting the vote out. I feel like that's gonna be even more important than usual this time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The swinzone is when you take jo swinson and fold her in half and then put her back in for a while to melt the two sides together.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1202689174589100032?s=20

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cerebral Bore posted:

You do realize that the way they make these things is by interviewing a lot of people and then only showing the answers that fit the narrative that's being pushed, right?

You misunderstand.

The tories have destroyed people. Every single person saying 'they're all the same' is a person destroyed by the tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be fair, blair did a lot of that as well.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier posted:

Be fair, blair did a lot of that as well.

a tory, you say

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've just had to start a course of antibiotics that I'll be in the middle of during the lovely weather on the 12th, and I will drag my asthmatic rear end along to vote by staffy / sledge combo if I have to.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

kind of sick of hearing about the andrew neil interview now. i get it, he wussed out. get over it man jfc.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Chuka Umana posted:

I think that Labour have a positioning issue right now in that they've managed to gain recognition as the party of the downtrodden, but no-one save young people regularly self identifies as downtrodden. Men in particular hardly ever do. They realise they aren't minted but would never admit they're struggling. Lots of people who vote Labour do so for others, not themselves.

All the result of capitalism and individualism eroding identities over decades. Love your neighbour, build community and more power to the unions imo.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

marktheando posted:

Maybe

Well they won't be the largest party but maybe Corbyn could be PM in a minority government

:wrong:

an_mutt posted:

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1202670973713031168?s=20

lmao my goodness

(Tarry is the current Labour candidate for Gapes's seat)

Actual Labour candidates using Reel Politik shitposting as agitprop is my personal favourite thing to happen so far this year

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Junior G-man posted:

The. Swinzone.

Whatever happens after the GE, I really cannot wait for the LibDem staff to leak live sieves about this shite campaign.

Bill O'Reilly: This is a No Swinzone, pal. Cut her mike.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I bet the BBC gets a shitton of complaints about that Andrew Neil clip

How dare he hold our man to account! Why isn't he focusing only on Corbyn!?!?!?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think I'd rather Boris didn't do the interview. "Boris is frit" is a better narrative than Boris actually doing it and it being pretty softball because Neil is a tory

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Who were the alternatives to Swinson for Lib Dem leadership? Was she the absolute best options? Shes like a less charismatic Liz Kendall.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol someone beat me to the Swinzone title change

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OwlFancier posted:

What's the best counterargument to this btw?

I can think of a few but personally the one that motivates me is "gently caress off trans people have it way worse you need to make allowances even if it costs you personally" which I don't think is really the most compelling argument for most people.
You can sometimes get an "oh poo poo I didn't think of that" reaction by bringing up trans men. OK, congratulations, you've restricted toilets by birth sex. Now Buck Angel is going to be using the women's restroom, because you've literally forced him to. Is that really going to make you more comfortable?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think I'd rather Boris didn't do the interview. "Boris is frit" is a better narrative than Boris actually doing it and it being pretty softball because Neil is a tory
Andrew Neill opens the hard-hitting barrage of tough questions with "Did you see that ludicrous display last night."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Random Integer posted:

Who were the alternatives to Swinson for Lib Dem leadership? Was she the absolute best options? Shes like a less charismatic Liz Kendall.

Ed Davey was the alternative, and by "alternative" I mean he's basically just as much of a Tory as she is