Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

Whichever one of those guys died in a humiliatingly hilarious accident (Leonidas, I guess).

That's a surprisingly useful metric. Like Tiberius, smothered with his own clothes, or Attila the Hun, choked to death by a nosebleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chamale posted:

That's a surprisingly useful metric. Like Tiberius, smothered with his own clothes, or Attila the Hun, choked to death by a nosebleed.

Valerian and Crassus. Caracalla, Caligula, Commodus, Thrax, etc. were quite literally undone by minions.

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 5, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm years out of date on Revolutions and I know I'm being a hypocritical rear end in a top hat for complaining about it, but hot DANG the podcast is a lot less fun to listen to when every episode has the shilling of Harry's Razors and those mattresses and one of the laughably expensive bourgeois food crates because it's so hard to go to the grocery store as a "working" person and paying loads extra for the box is clearly the easier option for the stressed worker. Then he gets into shilling his books and yeah, I'm down for your books Mike, I gave you money for the first one, but dang he sucks at it and comes off as an rear end in a top hat.

Dude lighten up and just smash the "Skip forward 30 seconds" button a few times like everyone else if you want to skip the ads. It exists on every podcast app for a reason. Like at least he puts then all at he beginning instead of the Tides of History guy who takes constant commercial breaks in the middle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this one is for the star wars likers

https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1202232655317815298

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Disagree. Strongly.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I would like podcast ads a lot more if they were done the way Cum Town does their ad reads.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everything I learned about Guerrilla warfare I learned from Home Alone

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Everything I learned about Guerrilla warfare I learned from Home Alone

I learned about Gorillas from Captain Ron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Z6tv7cQmM

The Rommel is extremely obvious but are the other stock characters based on any particular individuals?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeCrotch posted:

I would like podcast ads a lot more if they were done the way Cum Town does their ad reads.

I don't even know what that is, but I'm vaguely disturbed nonetheless.

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

GotLag posted:

The Rommel is extremely obvious but are the other stock characters based on any particular individuals?

Its possible many German generals removed their gloves and out them on again or were huge perverts

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GotLag posted:

I think its mainly based off of portrayals in various WW2 movies, though one of them seems to be clearly an allusion to Goering.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think its mainly based off of portrayals in various WW2 movies, though one of them seems to be clearly an allusion to Goering.

Yeah. Also some riffing on period stereotypes of prussian military traditions.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Raenir Salazar posted:

Two or three of those stereotypes were my CO's in the FDF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were there any notably eccentric Nazi or Prussian generals? I guess Himmler's occult obsession would qualify.

Separately and somewhat relatedly: Declare by Tim Powers is one of my favorite thrillers, I love the WWII spy/supernatural mashup element, can y'all think of similar stuff in that genre? Any media.

This is interesting: on the etymology of the term "Jody" I've often wondered the origin of that term, and I assumed that it was relatively newer slang since Jody sounds more like a modern male name. Not the case. It first shows up black folk songs in Arkansas as "Joe the Grinder" in the 1930's, grinding being a term for you know, and over time it got shortened to Jody. It was also used by prisoners and itinerant farm workers in the 1940s.

Vietnam era marching cadence:

I wonder how far back this character of the guy who's loving your wife while you're away goes? Did the legionaries resent Jodius Grinderus? Do non-US contemporary militaries have similar terms in their language/slang?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 5, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zoux posted:

Were there any notably eccentric Nazi or Prussian generals? I guess Himmler's occult obsession would qualify.

Separately and somewhat relatedly: Declare by Tim Powers is one of my favorite thrillers, I love the WWII spy/supernatural mashup element, can y'all think of similar stuff in that genre? Any media.

IIRC one of the most brutal and notorious SS anti-partisan guys was known for walking around with a pet monkey on his shoulder. I thought it was Back-Zelewsky, but CTRL+F for "monkey" on his wiki article didn't give me anything.

EDIT: It was of course Oskar Dirlewanger I was thinking.
EDIT2: For those not familiar,

quote:

Dirlewanger is invariably described as an extremely cruel person by historians and researchers, including as "a psychopathic killer and child molester" by Steven Zaloga,[2] "violently sadistic" by Richard Rhodes,[3] "an expert in extermination and a devotee of sadism and necrophilia" by J. Bowyer Bell,[4] and "a sadist and necrophiliac" by Bryan Mark Rigg.[5] According to Timothy Snyder, "in all the theaters of the Second World War, few could compete in cruelty with Dirlewanger".[6]

He commanded a Waffen-SS unit, known as the Dirlewanger brigade, which explicitly recruited convicted murders, rapists and arsonists for anti-partisan duty in the East.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 5, 2019

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Squalid posted:

i'm back from vacation and catching up to thread and I think that European "glaive" certainly looks very similar to the Asian weapons. Hard to say anything more about it though when this image is the only record that it ever existed.

Also I bet similar slings were used in East Asia. I imagine the longer your weapon the more difficult it is to juggle them while also using a bow. I have no evidence of this but I suspect it might be related to why from the late 16th century as Japanese cavalry shifted away from a focus on mounted archery they switched from naginata to longer yari that probably couldn't be balanced with a sling. I found a video demonstrating their use, notice even though the blade is straight all the strikes with the yari are still cuts, which I find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA46V6sWDpg

Those slashing attacks might have worked against unarmored opponents, but would not have cut as well as the curve-bladed naginata. The main point of straight-bladed swords and spearheads is that they are better at piercing.

Squalid posted:

I would say the general consensus on (nomadic, tropical) hunter gatherers is that they are very egalitarian relative to every other kind of economy, and do not have any system that we might call patriarchy. This is related to what v. Ilyich said. They tend to have effectively no property of any value, and everyone performs the same subsistence labor. There are typically no chiefs, priests, witch doctors, or any kind of formally defined social hierarchies. Among Malaysian negritos and Congolese Bambuti people all hunted meat is divided equally within the band. The only form of division of labor is between men and women, but even that division tends not to be very hard relative to agriculturalists.

The lack of property and social hierarchy makes any custom resembling patriarchy more-or-less impossible. If a woman runs away from her husband and goes back to her parents, he has no recourse to get her back against her will. There is no bride price he can demand back in exchange, so the family has no reason to send her back. Neither he nor anyone else in his band has the time to get her by force, they need to spend their energy getting food, nor have they any means to keep her in place if they had her.

That said, just because there isn't any system we can call patriarchy, doesn't mean gender relations were perfect. I remember Colin Turnbull in his study of the Mbuti people spent a lot of ink describing how great and equal gender relations were for them compared to the neighboring Bantu. However he also recounted one anecdote of a guy suddenly beating the poo poo out of his wife in the middle of his village, and everyone just ignored it as it happened. What were they supposed to do? Like fights between men it was seen as the couple's business. If she didn't like it she could leave, but it wasn't anyone else's job to interfere in their relationship.

The hunter-gatherers worked less hours than modern people and definitely had time to go raiding.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ just think about having to keep those clean in the field, or at least having to pretend to try

White pants for soldiers are one of the most idiotic inventions of milhist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ChubbyChecker posted:

This kind of provocation on the eve of Finnish independence day, and on the 80th anniversary of Winter War, cannot be allowed!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

IIRC one of the most brutal and notorious SS anti-partisan guys was known for walking around with a pet monkey on his shoulder. I thought it was Back-Zelewsky, but CTRL+F for "monkey" on his wiki article didn't give me anything.

EDIT: It was of course Oskar Dirlewanger I was thinking.
EDIT2: For those not familiar,

He commanded a Waffen-SS unit, known as the Dirlewanger brigade, which explicitly recruited convicted murders, rapists and arsonists for anti-partisan duty in the East.

It is almost impressive that a single person could be so awful in so many different ways.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

This kind of provocation on the eve of Finnish independence day, and on the 80th anniversary of Winter War, cannot be allowed!

Couldn't bother to get dressed, showing up for war with a hangover, wearing a bathrobe.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

Not Nazi, of course, but General Bluecher had a nervous breakdown while on campaign and became convinced that a French soldier had impregnated him and he was going to give birth to an elephant.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't the soviets bug the DoW by giving them a token of friendship after WW2 that they hung up somewhere sensitive and it kept going for years and years?

ChubbyChecker posted:

I'm thinking about that joke about being brought their brown pants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epicurius posted:

Not Nazi, of course, but General Bluecher had a nervous breakdown while on campaign and became convinced that a French soldier had impregnated him and he was going to give birth to an elephant.

My mPregssian fan fic really happened...

Also no reason to limit it to Germans, I'll take any weirdo officer stories

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kemper Boyd posted:

Couldn't bother to get dressed, showing up for war with a hangover, wearing a bathrobe.

:hurr:kele

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Good point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kemper Boyd posted:

He's a Finn.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Inevitable Milhist Thread: Couldn't bother to get dressed, showing up for war with a hangover, wearing a bathrobe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't the soviets bug the DoW by giving them a token of friendship after WW2 that they hung up somewhere sensitive and it kept going for years and years?

I believe you're talking about The Thing, a passive monitoring device that was installed in the US diplomatic mission in Moscow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's it yeah. Thank

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Epicurius posted:

Dude was a Swede by birth and also by the time this happened he was Trump levels of old.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

The hunter-gatherers worked less hours than modern people and definitely had time to go raiding.

yeah. maybe phrasing it as a shortage of time was the wrong way to describe this. It is true though that raiding and small scale war is generally much less often observed among historical hunter-gatherers. The reasons are complex and probably vary from culture to culture, but it seems like a fairly consistent observation. There are of course exceptions, I know there was a culture of warfare among some Arctic hunters and Australian aborigines. Still it makes for a striking contrast with neolithic agriculturalists/gardeners, who wage war like it's a sport and have some of the highest rates of violent death of all cultures.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squalid posted:

yeah. maybe phrasing it as a shortage of time was the wrong way to describe this. It is true though that raiding and small scale war is generally much less often observed among historical hunter-gatherers. The reasons are complex and probably vary from culture to culture, but it seems like a fairly consistent observation. There are of course exceptions, I know there was a culture of warfare among some Arctic hunters and Australian aborigines. Still it makes for a striking contrast with neolithic agriculturalists/gardeners, who wage war like it's a sport and have some of the highest rates of violent death of all cultures.

I note the present tense here, so is this still going on among the various uncontacted peoples of the world

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

zoux posted:

I note the present tense here, so is this still going on among the various uncontacted peoples of the world

eh. . . not really, since the seventies it's mostly been pretty well suppressed among contacted peoples, and there really aren't a lot of uncontacted groups. Although I'm not sure if life in the remote Venezuelan Amazon is really any more peaceful than it was a couple generations ago. News reports from the region's mining camps today often sound like they were pulled straight from HBO's Deadwood.

In New Guinea warfare was made illegal and has been somewhat controlled, although occassional outbreaks are not uncommon. Posted before in a previous thread, but we have some pretty good records of what it used to be like when it could be done out in the open in the traditional way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zD3SwhF64

There was one really funny documentary I watched about cannibalism in New Guinea where they went to this village and asked if anyone had eaten human meat and like everyone answered "oh yeah, there was this one time, it was okay I guess. Oh uh, but I didn't kill him it was some other guy I just shared." Cannibalism being perfectly legal, but private murder having recently been criminalized.

edit: looking at this video again what strikes me the most is how much this battle resembles a game of dodgeball

Squalid fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 5, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I recall this picture going viral a couple of years ago showing modern bow and arrow fighting between Kenyan tribal groups, but it could be fake or out of context or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Disagree, they are a clothing item and soldiers need every drat piece of clothing to stay warm to not die sleeping rough in this era.

Wool was the best choice because cotton blends didn't exist yet.

And white breeches/half breeches rapidly darkened with dirt and use in campaign and ironically held the soldiers blend in with certain terrain.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

zoux posted:

I recall this picture going viral a couple of years ago showing modern bow and arrow fighting between Kenyan tribal groups, but it could be fake or out of context or something.

it's real, I remember that too. I think they had agreed in advance not to use guns. I'm pretty sure the fighting had to do with the disputed election, or maybe cattle stealing? Maybe both.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People still train at mounted archery, too. There are competitions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7Gs2EIR-E

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Those bows look way too small and light to be serious weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fangz posted:

Those bows look way too small and light to be serious weapons.

you don't need a lot of force to put an arrow through someone's face:

This picture was from that conflict, and the guy died. Still relative to how many people can be involved there usually aren't a lot of deaths in these kinds of battles. Usually they just end with one side running away with darts stuck in their butts. The winning side might burn your house down but its only the really unlucky who get killed.