Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Taeke posted:

I've just accepted that an increasing amount of information about me is being tracked and I'm a datapoint in god knows how many databases, but also that I'm such small fry that it's pointless to be paranoid about it. I don't do any shady poo poo, I'm not really a criminal, and I'm nowhere near important enough that it's something I worry about. Sure it's creepy, but what am I going to do? I run noscript and uBlock Origin, I'm thinking about using a VPN but it's not really necessary where I live for what I do with my internet and I don't fall for obvious poo poo like phishing scams, so I'm good. It's gonna happen anyway and I'm not in a position to do anything about it, so why bother getting upset about it?

Like, a while back my neighbour (who does some tech related work) gave out these little sticker thingies you can put on your laptop's webcam that you can use to cover the camera if you're not using it, and I'm like, what's the point? He pointed out that picture of Zuckerberg with his laptop in the background with the camera covered. No poo poo he covers up his cameras, he's an obvious target. I only use my laptop in the living room, never in my bedroom or anything, so I'm never naked or in my underwear or whatever around it. The gently caress is a hacker gonna do with secretly recorded video of me? Blackmail my fat rear end watching netflix and playing videogames too much?

The world is going to poo poo anyway and I have bigger things to worry about.

Have you considered that your situation is not universal and that things that aren't a concern for you might be a concern for other people? Idk if you heard but there's a lot of people who aren't you, and don't use their laptop exactly the same way you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
how can you people gloss over the activities of escobar inc so blithely

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colonel Cancer posted:

I use a bandaid to cover up my laptop cameras cause it's a statement

if someone wants to watch me touch myself they have to pay like everyone elese

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I also don't rate and review anything that I buy, I'm a real rebel working hard to collapse the devil economic system :blastu:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Sing Along posted:

how can you people gloss over the activities of escobar inc so blithely

If the Wire was set in today's time, this is what Stringer Bell would be doing.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Have you considered that your situation is not universal and that things that aren't a concern for you might be a concern for other people? Idk if you heard but there's a lot of people who aren't you, and don't use their laptop exactly the same way you do.
You don't have to be an rear end in a top hat about it, you read me all wrong.

I mean, I thought I was pretty clearly sharing my own perspective about things and not saying it's stupid for other people to be concerned? I explicitly said that I don't use my laptop in my bedroom so I don't feel the need to cover up the camera, which pretty clearly implies that if you do then yeah, cover it up if you don't want to risk being creeped on. I also explicitly brought up the example of Zuckerberg being a target and understanding why he's more careful, obviously implying that if you feel like you could be a target because you're important, wealthy, involved in criminal activities, whatever, then yeah, obviously you take precautions.

It's a conversation and I shared my own perspective and reasons why I'm not worried, explicitly explaining why in my situation I feel like I don't have to be. I never attacked anyone for being worried, or said they shouldn't be. I'm clearly talking about just me and my situation. Like, maybe there's some situation I didn't think about and someone would reply to my post saying "Hey, but there's this or that, so maybe give that VPN some more thought." and that's how a conversation goes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's literally "well if you have nothing to hide and aren't a bad evil criminal, you have nothing to worry about!" argument about privacy lol.

The very fact that your privacy is being destroyed is a crime and by not fighting back you assist it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I leave the webcam untaped what are the hackers going to do release a video of my large beautiful dick oh woe is me lol see you later losers

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sing Along posted:

Let's get back to Snow Crash content:

https://www.escobarinc.com/product/fold1/ (lingerie models, potentially nsfw)

i cannot believe that the Escobar brand is being used to sell smartphones

let's take a look at recent actions by Escobar Inc:

wow i would love that on a t shirt!!!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have never not put a sticker over my laptop's webcam, and have similar stickers over the selfie cam on my phone.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

If you have nothing to hide and have no qualms about people looking through your poo poo thats pretty strange

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shrecknet posted:

Fun fact: you know how every seatbelt release button is bright red so you can spot it in an emergency? Theres no US law requiring that, its an EU thing. Carmakers just cant be assed to source/install 2 different parts so they just buy all red ones.

The Tesla can't be sold in Europe, so they ise grey release buttons. It's not safer, just for looks, and would be trivial to use safer red buttons but :muskshrug:

What do you mean the Tesla can’t be sold in Europe? They’ve been selling them there since 2013, and Norway is one of the biggest markets for the S in the world.

Tesla makes red-button versions for other markets, which is also one of the reasons you can’t import a US Tesla into other countries.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Taeke posted:

I mean, I thought I was pretty clearly sharing my own perspective about things and not saying it's stupid for other people to be concerned? I explicitly said that I don't use my laptop in my bedroom so I don't feel the need to cover up the camera, which pretty clearly implies that if you do then yeah, cover it up if you don't want to risk being creeped on. I also explicitly brought up the example of Zuckerberg being a target and understanding why he's more careful, obviously implying that if you feel like you could be a target because you're important, wealthy, involved in criminal activities, whatever, then yeah, obviously you take precautions.

It's a conversation and I shared my own perspective and reasons why I'm not worried, explicitly explaining why in my situation I feel like I don't have to be. I never attacked anyone for being worried, or said they shouldn't be. I'm clearly talking about just me and my situation. Like, maybe there's some situation I didn't think about and someone would reply to my post saying "Hey, but there's this or that, so maybe give that VPN some more thought." and that's how a conversation goes.

nobody realized when they added "wifi! now i can control my roomba from my phone! this was necessary" to robot vacuums that they were now also shipping data home on everybody's floor plans and which pathways are dirtiest. That database gets hacked, some motherfucker now knows that you don't pay much attention to that third bedroom with the window at waist level. Or maybe they sell it to a real estate company or airbnb who starts haranguing you about flipping your house or renting out your spare room.

the threat of big data mining is not in individual data sets, but in combinations of seemingly innocuous data sets and breaches on them.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Feral Integral posted:

If you have nothing to hide and have no qualms about people looking through your poo poo thats pretty strange

It's not that I don't have anything to hide and I'm comfortable with people going through my poo poo, it's just that I'm so inconsequential that I can't be bothered to actively worry about it. Like I said, I take the basic precautions, and I agree that it's creepy and evil as poo poo, but like, what am I going to do about it?

I vote, I support activism as much as I can. I try to make the world a better place as much as I can in my own pretty limited way but there's only so much I can do, and if I add this to the pile of poo poo to actively worry about I literally wouldn't be able to function. I've been there. I have to make (hard) choices about what to invest my time and energy in.

Just don't attack me as if I'm saying "I don't have anything to hide and nothing to worry about and everyone is the same as me so nobody should worry" as if I'm condoning any of the evil poo poo talked discussed in this thread, or as if I'm in any way disparaging anyone actively opposed to it. I'm just sharing my own perspective, in the hope that it'll add to the conversation in some minor way. Like I said, I'm just a tiny datapoint in a huge (and evil) database and I'm trying to keep myself sane by reminding myself of that. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
First they came for my metadata and I said nothing.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I leave the webcam untaped what are the hackers going to do release a video of my large beautiful dick oh woe is me lol see you later losers

anytime im within 40 feet of a webcam i give it hte ol fruit basket so my picturesque dick and balls plus my perfectly shaved bhole can captivate any and all hackers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're saying to tell people to reject individualism and embrace collectivism in other words. You sell them on it by being a collectivist and promoting collectivism. It's a trait most people admire, in fact.

what the gently caress. 'identity' is not what individualism entails lol. this is some cold war era 'collective society, so everything is collective including clothes etc' kind of bullshit. educate yourself you dipshit liberal.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You can't troll me, Larry. Bitch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I cover up the webcam on my laptop because teleconference software doesn’t always start with the camera off and I don’t want my coworkers to see me in my jammies.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Giga Gaia posted:

anytime im within 40 feet of a webcam i give it hte ol fruit basket so my picturesque dick and balls plus my perfectly shaved bhole can captivate any and all hackers

I'm a hacker and let me just say that the whole hacker community knows. We call you "two fruits" for obvious reasons.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's literally "well if you have nothing to hide and aren't a bad evil criminal, you have nothing to worry about!" argument about privacy lol.

The very fact that your privacy is being destroyed is a crime and by not fighting back you assist it.

You're fighting back by never going to stores? I mean, lol if you think Toys R Us are the only ones observing customer behavior.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

bring back old gbs posted:

wow i would love that on a t shirt!!!

good news, the shirt is half off at $125

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MaxieSatan posted:

"gently caress crime" is maybe the funniest thing they could have gone with. the perfect intersection of "trying too hard to seem Hip" and "total refusal to think critically about the world or be in any way subversive"

I really don't think I could come up with a better reason. That said, there's no way they don't vote straight ticket R

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

PerniciousKnid posted:

You're fighting back by never going to stores? I mean, lol if you think Toys R Us are the only ones observing customer behavior.

Technology like this has been getting installed into chain retail stores for almost a decade now. Getting tracked 100% of the time is bad, but that can of worms was cracked a long time ago.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fight back by acting like a drunk baby while shopping.

or maybe reorganize for them so it is correlating the wrong things

I'd bet small businesses are massively less likely to be tracking your activity, another good reason to shop local.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Just be aware that the retail staff are going to probably take the brunt of it. Too many people walking into a store and not turning into $$$, those staff didn’t meet their quotas and get poo poo. People walking into the LEGO section and then not buying will likely indicate the staff set it up wrong.

Couple of years back I was chatting with someone outside a store and a clerk asked if we could carry on a few feet further away. We were triggering their system and someone was going to need to explain the 25% decline in conversion.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Inceltown posted:

I'm a hacker and let me just say that the whole hacker community knows. We call you "two fruits" for obvious reasons.

:tipshat:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Crow Buddy posted:

Couple of years back I was chatting with someone outside a store and a clerk asked if we could carry on a few feet further away. We were triggering their system and someone was going to need to explain the 25% decline in conversion.

This really is the dumbest loving cyberpunk world imaginable

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Crow Buddy posted:

Just be aware that the retail staff are going to probably take the brunt of it. Too many people walking into a store and not turning into $$$, those staff didn’t meet their quotas and get poo poo. People walking into the LEGO section and then not buying will likely indicate the staff set it up wrong.

Numbers were a mistake

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hard cutoffs are just another tool to make the retail wage slaves ask how high to jump.

Does the local Best Buy suffer if one of the salespeople gets 24% conversion rate on warranties instead of 25%? That salesperson certainly does. (Specific numbers are pulled out of my rear end.)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
it does extremely suck that failing to Consume Obediently does tangibly expose retail workers to wrarh of the software assisted slave whipping but you surely have to see that the sentiment will only be another thing they'll abuse against us and against the workers once they realize it exists

had to buy a brand new Samsung 8k TV to save five Amazon workers who the managers tied to a light rail track and pushing the buy button was the only way to divert the carriage to the track with only one Amazon worker who also happened to nap on the job the other day. It kinda sucks but what kind of monster wouldn't do the same?

Teal has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Dec 6, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/Samir_Madani/status/1202170939183706113

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Electric Boogaloo

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Bernie's gonna get good returns on letters of marque

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pyrat is a new app disrupting the lucrative world of seagoing piracy by connecting pirates peer-to-peer with piratees using geolocation and matchmaking algorithms, making sure that you are interacting only within International waters. Use real time information to find clients with the right size super yacht for you. Don't get caught out under-staffed or under-looted again.

And coming soon, our new "Insider" premium feature, where you can recruit low paid crew members to work with you as accomplices!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gonna sell looted yachts on Craigslist

2.5k but only because I didn't wash the bloodstains off

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Taeke posted:

I've just accepted that an increasing amount of information about me is being tracked and I'm a datapoint in god knows how many databases, but also that I'm such small fry that it's pointless to be paranoid about it. I don't do any shady poo poo, I'm not really a criminal, and I'm nowhere near important enough that it's something I worry about. Sure it's creepy, but what am I going to do? I run noscript and uBlock Origin, I'm thinking about using a VPN but it's not really necessary where I live for what I do with my internet and I don't fall for obvious poo poo like phishing scams, so I'm good. It's gonna happen anyway and I'm not in a position to do anything about it, so why bother getting upset about it?

Like, a while back my neighbour (who does some tech related work) gave out these little sticker thingies you can put on your laptop's webcam that you can use to cover the camera if you're not using it, and I'm like, what's the point? He pointed out that picture of Zuckerberg with his laptop in the background with the camera covered. No poo poo he covers up his cameras, he's an obvious target. I only use my laptop in the living room, never in my bedroom or anything, so I'm never naked or in my underwear or whatever around it. The gently caress is a hacker gonna do with secretly recorded video of me? Blackmail my fat rear end watching netflix and playing videogames too much?

The world is going to poo poo anyway and I have bigger things to worry about.

Taeke posted:

The level of information that can be gathered (by bots), collated (by bots), sifted (by bots), and tagged for use (by bots) should bother you.

This is naive to the point of stupid: "I only use my laptop in the living room, never in my bedroom or anything, so I'm never naked or in my underwear or whatever around it. The gently caress is a hacker gonna do with secretly recorded video of me?"

"A hacker" isnt sitting watching you. Having a map of your face lets your devices be unlocked. Having a pattern of (the sound) of your keystrokes makes your passwords easy to crack. Knowing your travel (to/from home) times provides a shitload of information. Knowing various personal information (which you impart conversationally) allows someone to "be you" to your phone/bank/credit companies.

No one is trying to see your nerd genitals. The fact that that is your main concern is dumb (and tells us your main use of the internet is porn, since thats all that you think of lol).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taeke posted:

It's not that I don't have anything to hide and I'm comfortable with people going through my poo poo, it's just that I'm so inconsequential that I can't be bothered to actively worry about it.

i used to think this, but it doesn't really hold up these days

the data collection isn't the only thing that's being automated and mass-produced. the exploitation is too. and it's cheap and easy enough that as long as you've got two bucks to rub together, someone is going to find your info worth using. and even if you're completely broke, they'll still file your data away in case you become worth exploiting decades down the road, or in case they find a new exploit method

these days, I cope by understanding that death is certain and I have no agency to prevent myself from being consumed and destroyed by the system at any time

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Pyrat is a new app disrupting the lucrative world of seagoing piracy by connecting pirates peer-to-peer with piratees using geolocation and matchmaking algorithms, making sure that you are interacting only within International waters. Use real time information to find clients with the right size super yacht for you. Don't get caught out under-staffed or under-looted again.

And coming soon, our new "Insider" premium feature, where you can recruit low paid crew members to work with you as accomplices!

The Somalis have done this for quite sometime before hitting the wrong ship and the US Navy stepped in resulting in the Im the captain now meme. Maersk Alabama(sp?).

Generally targetting commerical shipping they'd hit a target and ransom it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FBI/status/1203056637944180737