Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Ruck Fules, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was a time when DEFY attempted the "ref's discretion in order to keep things going" thing. They mostly stopped over a year ago because the ref who was most lenient began to be booed heavily by the crowd for that leniency. Still gets that reaction partly out of tradition and partly after regulars who never let that go.

When Aubrey let things go she would do what she did to Jericho during the first championship match. People were accepting of that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thing is but, who gives a gently caress? Anyone who loves or hates njpw does so regardless of the refs.

Red Shoes rules, you absolute nonce

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to anything else, Chris Benoit received 115 points and finished 12th in the voting for the 2007 Thesz/Flair Award.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is actually worth complaining about. Biting is too gross and weird to be something you do every single match and then don't get called out for it. Him and Moxley both need to save the biting for big matches.

Biting and finger break spots are stupid in regular matches. Hardcore matches are whatever but neither should just be legal.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they aren't finger breaking spots. they're manipulating the joint in such a way that the gasses escape at high velocity and make a loud popping or cracking sound that is picked up by the ring microphone due to being cupped from above by the person employing the maneuver. the joints being manipulated are not the normal 'knuckle popping' ones that people do to themselves but the smaller ones above that which rarely if ever receive the same treatment and are very sensitive and surrounded by nerves. it doesn't hurt that bad for long but it can throw the opponent off their game because it really smarts for a few seconds

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Biting and finger break spots are stupid in regular matches. Hardcore matches are whatever but neither should just be legal.

But then they just end the match? If the fans pop who cares.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

punches? that can easily break any of the fourteen facial bones or any of the teeth. could damage an eye; maybe even permanently. that should be a DQ. dairy queen that is. old diarrhea quarry if you eat the food from that 'Fast Food' restaurant chain. that's my experience. ate one of them chicken strip baskets with texas toast in it and it must have been all the grease or perhaps the unsanitary working conditions but i shitt*d all over the place back at the house, big time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Punch McLightning posted:

Unrelated to anything else, Chris Benoit received 115 points and finished 12th in the voting for the 2007 Thesz/Flair Award.

He really put over MVP card that last year

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The rules not mattering actually removes a lot of incredibly useful and important storytelling tools.

Yeah, the problem is AEW has a "no DQ" policy, not a "don't cheat in front of the ref" policy. There's so many ways to cheat smart that aren't been used, it just makes it seem like cheating is the smart thing to do.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My issue is the ways they're distracting the ref or are trying to cheat are often the most contrived, dumb-looking thing. It takes me out of the match.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Refs should have bodycams like the pigs they are, can't trust em

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
AEW should hire El Hijo Del Tirantes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Punch McLightning posted:

Yeah, but he was nowhere in 2008. Audiences are so fickle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Havok sucks but idk man if you don’t love him staple gunning his fine cheques to people’s heads maybe pro wrestling isn’t for you

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I personally like the idea that referees are reluctant to DQ people and try to find other ways of punishing offences to avoid doing it. Can be little things like not counting falls resulting from interference or things like that; its similar to football referees having the flexibility based on the offence of how exactly to handle it: if its terrible then its a red card and you stop instantly; for minor things that you shouldn't give a card for you play advantage and then bring it back for a free kick if the team that was fouled again doesn't have an advantage. In wrestling if the referee sees someone do something sort of illegal but which wasn't blatantly so

One thing that I'd actually like to see brought into wrestling generally was the old "public warning" thing from old-school British wrestling. Basically the way that worked was that for minor rules breaking rather than disqualifying someone or just ignoring the offence they'd warn the wrestler, with three official warnings like that resulting in a DQ. Its a way of getting the best of both worlds: you can do spots where people cheat and do illegal things where the referee sees them and have an out where the referee can do something to look credible while keeping the match going. At some point you'd have to actually do a DQ finish resulting from the warnings through to establish it and I can't think of a worse finish but I'm sure you can do it in like a 2 minute match very quickly. Its all about trying to find a balance between enforcing the rules strictly at the risk of either preventing yourself from doing heel shenanigans or having lame DQs for people not leaving the run after a 10 count following a tag; and the rules legit not mattering and people looking like goofs for not cheating and I think some form of warning system before you get to DQs is a very interesting way to think about doing it.

Also AEW should totally just adopt Lucha tag rules: it'd allow them to do everything they clearly want to do in tag team matches and would eliminate a lot of the boring rules issues you have. Making a big deal out of the 10 count thing and then never doing anything with it is just giving people an excuse to moan about it.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Wrestling rules. Wrestling... rules. The rules of wrestling.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
lol at Bryan's meltdown over BARELY

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

I personally like the idea that referees are reluctant to DQ people and try to find other ways of punishing offences to avoid doing it. Can be little things like not counting falls resulting from interference or things like that; its similar to football referees having the flexibility based on the offence of how exactly to handle it: if its terrible then its a red card and you stop instantly; for minor things that you shouldn't give a card for you play advantage and then bring it back for a free kick if the team that was fouled again doesn't have an advantage. In wrestling if the referee sees someone do something sort of illegal but which wasn't blatantly so

Best use of that was Chuck Taylor vs ZSJ for the PWG championship. If Chuck didn't win the title he was going to leave so at one point Zack hit him with the belt and got caught, he asked if the ref was going to DQ him and he didn't but when he goes for the pin the ref goes "1, 2, I'm not counting that you hit him with the loving belt!"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So far the best ref distraction I've ever seen was a dude getting buried facefirst into an ample chest. Its not that you can't hear anything, you just don't care cuz boobies.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man the New Day were so good as heels

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Low Desert Punk posted:

lol at Bryan's meltdown over BARELY

Strong Dave energy on Bryan's twitter today:

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1202856804180381696

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/Fumihikodayo/status/1202965869300613121

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I would love to have a wrestling journalist who isn't constantly whining about "easily offended" people.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hopkins FBI posted:

I would love to have a wrestling journalist who isn't constantly whining about "easily offended" people.

This is a lot of journalists now, wrestling or not. Though it comes off particularly funny coming from Bryan, a man flying off the handle because someone suggested a synonym.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

its gotten to a point where the purveyors of wrestling news are so tiresome i really don't care to see whats going on behind the scenes. old boomer cornette getting canned yet again really broke daves brain. and bryan is very bryan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Joey McChrist posted:

its gotten to a point where the purveyors of wrestling news are so tiresome i really don't care to see whats going on behind the scenes. old boomer cornette getting canned yet again really broke daves brain. and bryan is very bryan.

most of the behinds the scenes stuff today is so very unsurprising its hard to make it newsworthy or important.

"blah blah is picked to be champ"
yeah dude, we watch the show. we can tell
"WWE did a racist thing"
they did a racist thing last week
"ROH abuses its wrestlers"
the booker pretends not to speak english when he gets too nervous, what do you expect?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I'm still listening to Dave and Bryan but it feels like something is wrong in the shed full of papers that Dave makes them live in. A lot of dumb stupid takes on poo poo that I feel like they were a lot better about in the past.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Boomers.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Anyone who is uncertain as to where Dave and Bryan stand on racial matters should see these posts by their admin Crapgame13 AKA Jeff Hawkins. This is the man that they picked to be the main moderator on their political forum before closing and someone that still moderates the F4W board today. They have been sent these posts, so D/B know:

These are pretty nasty, so I'm adding a page or so of dots as a trigger warning, so that people can skip the blatant racism and slurs ahead posted by an F4W employee, if they want to.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/crapgame13$20nigger/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/7tvpe90Vzpk/V2KjRx4Iz2UJ

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/crapgame13$20kike%7Csort:date/rec.sport.pro-wrestling/DS924lVvgI4/WhH0LDsqCQAJ

Edit:$ seems to break the link format, so these links will have to be copied and pasted

collocation fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 6, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jesus that post got me loving triggered woof.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Spikegal posted:

Jesus that post got me loving triggered woof.

Adding a /tw page of dots now. My bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:stare:

And just post them as links with a warning, idiot.

Put :nws: around them and they won't auto-render.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Anyone get those to load and get the date on those?

Rec.sport.pro-wrestling posts might be 25 years old

Delete the Sky
Apr 21, 2014

mkay0 posted:

The last one seems to be from March of last year.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

mkay0 posted:

I didn't even know that people still posted there until someone told me that he did. The k***s post has the date in the screenshot (2018) which coincides with when he was the admin of F4W's political forum. The n*****s posts do not have the date in the screenshot, but they were from 2012. There is even worse stuff going further back, but I figured that posting the most recent made the most sense.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thank god they're not from the dark ages of 1994, a year when it was totally acceptable and normal and good to use slurs.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
I am shocked and appalled by the conduct of Crapgame13.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Hopkins FBI posted:

I am shocked and appalled by the conduct of Crapgame13.

F4W moderator, Crapgame13, which is the only reason that it matters. Though, he is also on Voices of Wrestling/VOW, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

hmmm aging white millionaire shave seltzer doesn't know why people are mad at cornette, hired this dude, outlook bleak for the lead scoopsman