Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Eej posted:

further evidence that gamers are broke brained in tyool 2019

What :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I for one am happy that they shipped a complete single player game with servicable if uninspired gameplay and a genuinely decent story, published by EA in 2019.

Wishing they would have monetized it further feels like some real monkey's paw poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

If it's unclear, I meant something like "a side campaign to play through outside the main story" more than "famous Jedi costumes for Cal at $0.99 a piece", I don't see how wanting more substantial fun content is a bad thing when we're starting from the game being fun and complete on its own.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don’t think anything is stopping them if they have the manpower from doing an expansion but if they weren’t planning on it and the things a hit they’ll probably just move straight into working on a sequel

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
EA will greenlight a DLC/Expansion campaign if we all write letters insisting that we are very engaged with the brand and also the game should have used the Frostbite engine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

If it's unclear, I meant something like "a side campaign to play through outside the main story" more than "famous Jedi costumes for Cal at $0.99 a piece", I don't see how wanting more substantial fun content is a bad thing when we're starting from the game being fun and complete on its own.

That's fair, and hey, studios were doing that long before digital distribution and "games as a service" nickel-and-dime bullshit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

precision posted:

I think goons sometimes lose sight of what other people think. To most people, this is a very good game and they don't even know how to spell Sekiro. When I stopped at gamestop to pick up a Christmas present yesterday there were like 10 people talking about how awesome this game is

It also depends on your priorities. Gameplay is generally not a big concern for me as long as it doesn't make my experience worse (either through being broken/unpleasant or through being so easy it's boring). This does good enough with gameplay that I can enjoy the other elements.

Someone else mentioned liking the puzzles, and I agree that they're actually pretty good in this. They hit a good balance where they are often challenging but not too challenging.

JBP posted:

This game sucks

I might be mixing you up with a different poster, but didn't you think Outer Worlds was good? Thinking that game is good and this one is bad implies that someone has a very strange definition of "good."

Outer Worlds is one of the stranger "contrast between reviews and experience" situations I've encountered, though I admittedly don't play a huge number of games. I feel like I'm being gaslit when I read the positive reviews for that game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This and TOW are fine games that are on game services for like $5. Solid 8/10s.

I'd be kinda mad if I paid $60 for either though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Outer Worlds is one of the stranger "contrast between reviews and experience" situations I've encountered, though I admittedly don't play a huge number of games. I feel like I'm being gaslit when I read the positive reviews for that game.

Outer worlds had good art direction and a decent story that was quirky and topical and reasonably humorous, darkly so in many points.

But the gameplay was incredibly bare-bones and the RPG advancement felt a little flat. I would have to replay but I might prefer the gun combat of 2008's Fallout 3, which was in a basically identical idiom and not much to write home about.

On the balance I liked it, but I'm an old man who doesn't get much of a thrill out of clicking heads anymore and can see where the "game" part of the game was watery gruel for many.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is definitely a monkey paw wish when you're asking EA's first complete title in a long time to start adding additional content.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

EA exac voice: "So you made what, 5 or 6 planets? Any way you can rework one as an 'expansion pack' and we can charge 30 bucks for it?"

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just want to go back to the inquisitor fortress again after beating the game. There were so many good fights there it’s a total shame.

Either that or an endless combat arena mode like they added to the Arkham games. They even have a good arena for it already.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Owlbear Camus posted:

EA exac voice: "So you made what, 5 or 6 planets? Any way you can rework one as an 'expansion pack' and we can charge 30 bucks for it?"

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order Remastered - coming Spring 2020.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I started playing this game and I am enjoying it. Dark Souls, but Star Wars is a really good combo.

I cannot for the life of me get a grip on the parry timings. The game tells you "hit block just before the attack hits" but the actual timing seems much earlier than that? Like, during the windup phase? My brain is so trained on Sekiro parry timings that I end up eating a lot of damage trying to parry some of these guys and I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

I started playing this game and I am enjoying it. Dark Souls, but Star Wars is a really good combo.

I cannot for the life of me get a grip on the parry timings. The game tells you "hit block just before the attack hits" but the actual timing seems much earlier than that? Like, during the windup phase? My brain is so trained on Sekiro parry timings that I end up eating a lot of damage trying to parry some of these guys and I just haven't gotten used to it yet.

Blocking, dodge and parrying in this game is very sloppy so you have to memorize it for each move for each enemy. Or turn the difficulty way down.

It really holds the game back a lot.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
When I started playing Sekiro I was consistently late on parries as well (and for that matter you have to parry way early in Dark Souls 2 and 3 because of windup frames). Unlike Sekiro you can't spam the button and hope to connect. I think you just have to get used to the timings through experience. The avoidance move that has immediate iframes is the "precision dodge" where you press dodge without a direction.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"precision dodge" is the non-roll dodge in any direction, and has iframes regardless of whether you do it with a direction or not.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

"precision dodge" is the non-roll dodge in any direction, and has iframes regardless of whether you do it with a direction or not.

As far as I can tell the timing slowdown skill only triggers on non-directional dodges.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Promethium posted:

As far as I can tell the timing slowdown skill only triggers on non-directional dodges.

This is correct, you need to Matrix dodge, not roll.

I feel like I'm reposting this every drat page, but the neutral matrix dodge has the most iframes of any evasion move in this game, can regen Force with the skill, looks awesome when you dodge a flurry of attacks perfectly, and lets you straight face tank like 90% of the unblockable attacks in the game.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

You can dodge with a direction and not roll tho, stop spamming the button

I finished the game having never used dodge without a direction, and I was using the iframes and the slow-down for perfect dodge often - the non-roll dodge is the best way to avoid damage ime

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

moosecow333 posted:

I just want to go back to the inquisitor fortress again after beating the game. There were so many good fights there it’s a total shame.

BD-1 hacked both Security Droids in the training room and they killed EVERYTHING, not even the purge troopers could stand up to them.I literally did nothing after that. The hacked droids were so effective I was shocked that Trilla destroyed the recon droid I hacked after it shot her a few times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Promethium posted:

Making use of the slowdown and dodge kick is how I beat the final boss, and it definitely triggered on directional dodges.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ytlaya posted:

I might be mixing you up with a different poster, but didn't you think Outer Worlds was good? Thinking that game is good and this one is bad implies that someone has a very strange definition of "good."

I've made several long posts comparing this to the outer worlds as they're bad games given good reviews for similar reasons.

E: I thought outer worlds was good at first but the more I played it the more it exposed that there was absolutely nothing interesting lurking behind the nostalgic Fallout vibe

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 5, 2019

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

JBP posted:

I've made several long posts comparing this to the outer worlds as they're bad games given good reviews for similar reasons.

E: I thought outer worlds was good at first but the more I played it the more it exposed that there was absolutely nothing interesting lurking behind the nostalgic Fallout vibe

Um, this is not a bad game. I dunno about Outer Worlds but Fallen Order was good and fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
From my point of view it's the Jedi game that's bad!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dazoner posted:

Um, this is not a bad game. I dunno about Outer Worlds but Fallen Order was good and fun.

Outer worlds is very, very much Space Fallout 3/4.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Chomp8645 posted:

From my point of view it's the Jedi game that's bad!

WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

Outer worlds is very, very much Space Fallout 3/4.

It's really not, aside from superficial similarities. Outer Worlds is very linear and small.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Chomp8645 posted:

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order Remastered Special Edition - coming Spring 2020.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now the Second Sister says "Maclunkey" before killing Prauf and there's a bunch of random CGI aliens on the Mantis for seemingly no reason.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cal disgustedly holds his nose as a creature farts in his face at a randomly generated interval, at least once per planet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

precision posted:

It's really not, aside from superficial similarities. Outer Worlds is very linear and small.

Outer worlds is very, very much a smaller and more linear space fallout 3/4.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cal disgustedly holds his nose as a creature farts in his face at a randomly generated interval, at least once per planet

During all of Cordova's holo-messages Jar Jar is behind him getting up to "wacky" antics.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Outer worlds had good art direction and a decent story that was quirky and topical and reasonably humorous, darkly so in many points.

This is the part where I'm confused, because the story/writing felt noticeably bad to me, to an extent where I have trouble thinking of anything else I've played that was so dull (though admittedly I generally stick to stuff that is reasonably well reviewed). I actually don't care about being linear/small or having lame gameplay, but none of the characters or scenarios are remotely compelling. And I went into it without many expectations - I didn't even know the game existed until it came out, at which point I thought "holy poo poo, a Fallout-like by Obsidian that I had no idea existed, awesome!" and started playing it (fortunately using the game pass thing). I can't imagine actually feeling super compelled to play it and being eager to find out what happens next.

This certainly isn't to say that the writing in Fallen Order is anything great, but it's at least passable for me, and the music/visuals are nice. It admittedly gains some points just for being a Star Wars thing that has pretty good art direction.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like casually dodging two inches to the left and watching the enemy's super attack whiz on by before dashing over to them like the stuff of nightmares and pushing them off a cliff

There are a LOT of cliffs in this game

Also the Dathomir zombies die to Force Push, but you seemingly don't get any exp for doing so, which sucks, because getting a whole swarm after you, then Pushing them all down is so satisfying

Or just mow them all down with the "hold button to switch saber styles" because it's flashy and devours the enemy's stamina when they foolishly try to guard

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vinylshadow posted:

I like casually dodging two inches to the left and watching the enemy's super attack whiz on by before dashing over to them like the stuff of nightmares and pushing them off a cliff

There are a LOT of cliffs in this game

yeah this game really satisfied the Jedi Knight/Dark Messiah in me who just wants to make the little computer men fall over the edge

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Another thing I really like is how Cal doesn’t know who Darth Vader is. We spend a lot of time with Vader in the movies so we assume he’s well known but the vast majority of people haven’t even heard of him.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New Game Plus when?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Might wanna spoiler tag that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

moosecow333 posted:

Another thing I really like is how Cal doesn’t know who Darth Vader is. We spend a lot of time with Vader in the movies so we assume he’s well known but the vast majority of people haven’t even heard of him.

Cere seems to know he exists maybe even seeing him during her torture with her comment of "its him" but not who he is, why he is, or even his name. Which makes perfect sense given the time period.