Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Acres of Quakers posted:

Back in the early 200Os I stumbled upon a song on Napster that was titled "Lilywhite sessions Too Blue". It featured a female vocalist and one of the lyrics of the chorus was:

The way I see it, your eyes are too blue,
Your voice a little too sweet.

I lost it when my hard drive died one day and have spent hour upon hour searching for any record of it, without luck. There's a song called Too Blue, but it's not the one I'm looking for.

No joke, go on soulseek. They will have it. I've found stuff on there a week ago that I'd been looking for for a decade.

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

There were toys that were sold in the early to mid 90s in Canada (and im sure the US) that were basically half mutant/ half car hybrids leaning closer to the action figure end of the spectrum than the hot wheels side. They were called gruesome racers or something. I vaguely recall that one of the characters was a guy standing with his arms out and two large wheels affixed to his hands. There was also a Twisted Metal character named Axel that had a similar design if I remember correctly. If anybody knows what they were called I would be interested in finding out.

Mattel Attack Pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

No joke, go on soulseek. They will have it. I've found stuff on there a week ago that I'd been looking for for a decade.

Mattel Attack Pack?

Unbelievably enough after years of intermittently trying to figure out what the hell those toys were I figured it out a second ago. They were called "Savage Mondo Blitzers" and they were monsters on skateboards, not cars. There does not appear to actually have been a monster with wheels for arms after all. Thank you kind goon although the Mattel Attack pack was not what I was looking for you inspired me to do one last google search that ultimately put me out of my misery :yarg: :dings:

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
An fantasy art book that came out in the 80's or even earlier which was all horror art from Transylvania. The pictures included a screaming tree with a human face, a blue beast creature gnawing on a human arm and an amazon woman trying to fend off a winged creature with a spear while a space traveler with a laser pistol lay unconscious underneath her.

Any ideas goons?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh, I got one. There was an old book of folk/fairy tales. They were all from some country, but I can't remember, and they were all pretty graphic and there were kind of spooky illustrations and stuff. I think it may have been Russia, but I can't find it. That book and all the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark were my go to fall reading material when I was a kid.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Got a wierd one, pretty hazy

Pretty sure it was a kids show, possibly British
Live action, late 70's early 80's, reminiscent of the old tripods show

Involved an invisible alien hunter, that had a red triangle symbol, kind of like mosquitor from he man/she ra legs

It was hunting a kid I think, who was hiding in some kind of above ground sci fi bunker.

Maybe the hunter had glowing red eyes and pretty bad stealthing fx

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Got a wierd one, pretty hazy

Pretty sure it was a kids show, possibly British
Live action, late 70's early 80's, reminiscent of the old tripods show

Involved an invisible alien hunter, that had a red triangle symbol, kind of like mosquitor from he man/she ra legs

It was hunting a kid I think, who was hiding in some kind of above ground sci fi bunker.

Maybe the hunter had glowing red eyes and pretty bad stealthing fx

The Tomorrow People?

This one https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomorrow_People

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Seems like a solid lead, thanks!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was some girl who made kinda neat poo poo and she died in a hiking accident and my vague google searches get vague google results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was some girl who made kinda neat poo poo and she died in a hiking accident and my vague google searches get vague google results

I dunno what you mean by "kinda neat poo poo," but if it's music, maybe Taylor Mitchell?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No she'd invent or at the very least make poo poo

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

YeahTubaMike posted:

2) There was this one game -- I think it was for Genesis -- but you navigated this..world, of some sort. You were in a tank or a ship or something, and you had to collect three of a specific kind of token or something, to gain a specific power. Cut me some slack, I was like 7, and I only ever watched my uncle play it.

Master Blaster?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Master

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh, I got one. There was an old book of folk/fairy tales. They were all from some country, but I can't remember, and they were all pretty graphic and there were kind of spooky illustrations and stuff. I think it may have been Russia, but I can't find it. That book and all the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark were my go to fall reading material when I was a kid.

Not sure if they were illustrated but apparently the original Brothers Grimm tales are dark as gently caress (relative to their tame modern versions). https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/12/grimm-brothers-fairytales-horror-new-translation

President Evil
Oct 10, 2012
Looking for an old video of some sleeping European guy having the absolute poo poo scared out of him and then his friends having to calm him down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Not sure if they were illustrated but apparently the original Brothers Grimm tales are dark as gently caress (relative to their tame modern versions). https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/12/grimm-brothers-fairytales-horror-new-translation

Yeah, it wasn't them and it was definitely illustrated. Pretty sure it was Eastern European.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

YeahTubaMike posted:

2) There was this one game -- I think it was for Genesis -- but you navigated this..world, of some sort. You were in a tank or a ship or something, and you had to collect three of a specific kind of token or something, to gain a specific power. Cut me some slack, I was like 7, and I only ever watched my uncle play it.

That is 100% Blaster Master. It was originally released on the NES and was almost a Metroidvania game before the genre was really fleshed out. I never beat it but I remember playing it and loving the poo poo out of it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

That is 100% Blaster Master. It was originally released on the NES and was almost a Metroidvania game before the genre was really fleshed out. I never beat it but I remember playing it and loving the poo poo out of it.

And if your mom took away your NES, you could read it:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This is a weird one - about 5, maybe 8 years ago a comedy sketch about twerking. A bunch of girls in short shorts twerking, it ends with them sitting on a kitchen counter and somehow making a sandwich by twerking a bunch of sandwich ingredients.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
uh yeah I'm looking for that too

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

And if your mom took away your NES, you could read it:

I had that book and read it cover to cover dozens of times. I also had the Mega Man book as well

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SalTheBard posted:

I had that book and read it cover to cover dozens of times. I also had the Mega Man book as well

I read a bunch of them, but owned the Ninja Gaiden one, read it many times.

Also the Gremlins 2 adaptation, which provided me with an excessive education on how metal arcs in the microwave.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

I read a bunch of them, but owned the Ninja Gaiden one, read it many times.

Also the Gremlins 2 adaptation, which provided me with an excessive education on how metal arcs in the microwave.

Wait...there was a Gremlins 2 the movie the video game the book?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Oh man I wish that was what I meant.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

Oh man I wish that was what I meant.

oh haha, I wouldn't have been surprised.

My friend to this day still remembers the password to the last level of that game. NXRD . And I only know it from him telling me.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Reminds me of this book I own:

Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Francis Ford Coppola Film: Official Movie Edition
The novel of the film by Fred Saberhagen and James V. Hart
Based on the screenplay by James V. Hart from the Bram Stoker novel

With an Afterword by Francis Ford Coppola and 8 pages of full-color movie photos

It's basically the definitive version of Dracula.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tip posted:

Reminds me of this book I own:

Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Francis Ford Coppola Film: Official Movie Edition
The novel of the film by Fred Saberhagen and James V. Hart
Based on the screenplay by James V. Hart from the Bram Stoker novel

With an Afterword by Francis Ford Coppola and 8 pages of full-color movie photos

It's basically the definitive version of Dracula.

I'd kill for a novelization of this game

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I think it came from maybe the 90s? That would make the most sense. I remember playing a board game with my brother when we were both very young and it was a kind of like, D&D-lite style thing. You collected equipment cards and you went to 'dungeons' to try and assemble a key. Once you got the key, you ran to the center of the board, at which point you folded it over itself to go to some kind of shadow realm or something on the other side. Anyone who wasn't in the center was lost to the board flipping.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ishikabibble posted:

I think it came from maybe the 90s? That would make the most sense. I remember playing a board game with my brother when we were both very young and it was a kind of like, D&D-lite style thing. You collected equipment cards and you went to 'dungeons' to try and assemble a key. Once you got the key, you ran to the center of the board, at which point you folded it over itself to go to some kind of shadow realm or something on the other side. Anyone who wasn't in the center was lost to the board flipping.

Sounds a bit like Talisman but I'd be interested to hear more

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

ishikabibble posted:

This is Key to the Kingdom.

https://youtu.be/tlfAQ33YE1A

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

SalTheBard posted:

Building off of this comment, I feel it necessary to point out that there was a Blaster Master 2 on Sega Genesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Master_2

Nordoff
Mar 31, 2010
A romantic novel based around the battle for the established recognition between the different global co-ordinate systems in the 1800's.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Acres of Quakers posted:

Back in the early 200Os I stumbled upon a song on Napster that was titled "Lilywhite sessions Too Blue". It featured a female vocalist and one of the lyrics of the chorus was:

The way I see it, your eyes are too blue,
Your voice a little too sweet.

I lost it when my hard drive died one day and have spent hour upon hour searching for any record of it, without luck. There's a song called Too Blue, but it's not the one I'm looking for.

This one is bugging me because I swear I've heard this song before ages ago. Can you give any more details about the exact year you found the song? What genre did it sound like?

I thought the song might be something from the the Steve Lillywhite Sessions on World Cafe, but afaik those only started ~2008 so I'm guessing that'd be too late. Maybe the song is from World Cafe in general? Unfortunately it's been around for like 30 years, so digging through the archives would be a pain.

Of course, that's assuming the napster info was even remotely correct.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

MachineryNoise posted:

Since I don't think this was ever answered, I'm 90% sure this is L'Odyssée d'Alice Tremblay a.k.a. Alice's Odyssey. I saw it on CityTV years ago and it's a goofy fairy tale comedy from Quebec that's PG-13 at most. The 7 dwarves being Snow White's lovers is absolutely a thing in it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302882

My dude this it!!! gently caress I feel so validated now no one ever believed me lmao

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There was a website 98-2000 called something like Beats For Geeks, which hosted video game theme parody music. They hosted some early MC Hawking, but also had a song about the original Sims called SimHillarity, with the refrain "Why oh why can't I leave it his block?!" I was in middle school, I remember showing it off in middle school computer lab. Casual ducking and internet archiving shows me nothing relevant.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
I've been trying to find a goofy clarinet tune that was used in X-Play skits back in the mid aughts when it was still on Tech TV. They'd use it while Adam Sessler was doing a mock interview with some game dev or something, idk. I've pretty much given up on finding it at this point since describing an instrumental song by text is hard af for someone musically illiterate such as myself.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
E: I’m dumb and google is a thing 😄

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 7, 2019

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I think this may have been from Cracked or another competitor to Mad Magazine, maybe from the 80s or 90s - a comedy article that listed world nationalities, complete with (deliberately) insanely offensive caricatures and stereotypes.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
PcLeague v2.1, a football (soccer) manager from 1994 made by Asle Rokstad.

It was released in full as freeware by the creator 2008 or so, but all I can find if the dumb shareware that has disabled the save function. The closest I've come is :filez: bundled up with 19k other DOS-games, but that's not what I want.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

A PC game from the late 90s/early 00s where you controlled one of three different vehicles (I think it was an attack helicopter, a tank, and a jeep?) and tried to destroy or capture your opponents base. At any time you could return to your own base and switch vehicles. Top-down view, 2D or isometric graphics.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Comrade Koba posted:

A PC game from the late 90s/early 00s where you controlled one of three different vehicles (I think it was an attack helicopter, a tank, and a jeep?) and tried to destroy or capture your opponents base. At any time you could return to your own base and switch vehicles. Top-down view, 2D or isometric graphics.

Nuclear Strike or one of its predecessors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Comrade Koba posted:

Return fire?