Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nanigans posted:

Now I go on Twitter and search for "foreign Ditto" and hope for the best? The main difference to having a foreign Ditto is increased egg production and higher shiny chance, yes? That doesn't seem that important to me...
Yes, increased egg rate and higher shiny chance. They'll tweet at you a picture of their IVs and you can check the stats (but only the stats, you can't see the IVs!) of what's being offered in-game in the trade itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Im finally starting my sword run because I promised myself I would and my team instantly became over run with bug types. Fuckkkk

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

indigi posted:

are there any good youtube videos/channels on competitive battling yet

Singles: Blunder, Pokeaim (Joey)
VGC: Cybertron (Aaron Zheng), Wolfe Glick

Blunder actually used to be one of the people in charge of OU but I think he quit because he didn't like the other people. He's considered among Smogon to be one of the best players, maybe the best, and I know Pokeaim is incredibly good. I personally feel like Pokeaim is probably the best Pokemon player in general from watching people play, FWIW.

Wolfe won the VGC world championship once and Aaron Zheng top 4ed or top 8ed before. Aaron is much better at talking so take that as you will.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 5, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, increased egg rate and higher shiny chance. They'll tweet at you a picture of their IVs and you can check the stats (but only the stats, you can't see the IVs!) of what's being offered in-game in the trade itself.

So they could still technically screw me over by sending a screenshot from someone else's game or trading me something different than what's in the screenshot? :ohdear:

I think between the egg charm and not really caring about shinies, I'm likely to just keep this little guy. I don't trust some rando on Twitter.

Now, if a wonderful trustworthy goon with a non-English Ditto wanted to trade...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nanigans posted:

So they could still technically screw me over by sending a screenshot from someone else's game or trading me something different than what's in the screenshot? :ohdear:
I guess technically yes - because you're seeing the Ditto's name/level even when it's showing IVs, you have the level, you can plug it into an online stat calculator to figure out what the stats "should" be - but it's super unlikely and honestly the probably-Japanese friend just wants thee same thing you do, a nice foreign Ditto!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nanigans posted:

I think between the egg charm and not really caring about shinies, I'm likely to just keep this little guy. I don't trust some rando on Twitter.

Now, if a wonderful trustworthy goon with a non-English Ditto wanted to trade...

You can check the summary of the ditto they're trading before you confirm the trade. But it's not very likely they're trying to screw you over.

That being said if you don't care about shinies, you don't even really need to worry about trading it

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Leal posted:

I hope these people I surprise trade a 5 perfect IV Eevee to have unlocked the IV checker and don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat sending out level 1 Eevees :ohdear:

One thing I do is use markings to symbolize max IVs in different stats. The most common system I've seen people use just goes down the list: HP is circle, Attack is triangle, Defense is square, etc.. Personally I sometimes use red markings to denote 0 IVs, but colors are a relatively new change to the markings and I can't recall seeing anyone else utilize them.

Markings are one way to tip someone in the know off that a Pokemon has good IVs, but obviously there's no guarantee the markings are actually accurate; the person who marked them could have made a mistake, could have deliberately lied, or could simply not be aware of player-based marking systems and just thought a star looked cool. Always verify stats with the judge if possible. For people without it though, markings can be an early hint that they should keep that mon for later.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Id just keep that guy frankly. The egg birth rate usually doesn’t matter much since lots of eggs will hatch slower than that so youll fill up anyways. Also its also fine to build up nature dittos as a separate stock and just breed for nature first before doing the IV breeding.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eimi posted:

If you like doubles I strongly recommend WolfeyVGC. He can get a bit shouty but I like his unproduced content style. I found him thanks to internet funny man Alpharad and after watching Wolfey's stuff I kinda wanna try doubles myself.

Ultima66 posted:

Singles: Blunder, Pokeaim (Joey)
VGC: Cybertron (Aaron Zheng), Wolfe Glick

Blunder actually used to be one of the people in charge of OU but I think he quit because he didn't like the other people. He's considered among Smogon to be one of the best players, maybe the best, and I know Pokeaim is incredibly good. I personally feel like Pokeaim is probably the best Pokemon player in general from watching people play, FWIW.

Wolfe won the VGC world championship once and Aaron Zheng top 4ed or top 8ed before. Aaron is much better at talking so take that as you will.

thank you

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
This is not a joke. I am going to murder the Pokeball guy. I'm going to buy a PokeShovel and smash him in his big plastic head until the darkness inside spills out like candy from a pinata. I will plunder his corpse and use the Flame Orb he has kept from me to incinerate his body. There will be no closure for his family, no ceremony for his remembrance. He is a fiend and I shall return him to the depths of hell.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Framboise posted:

BRED TO DIE
RAID IS A gently caress
死獣 FAINT EM ALL 2019
I AM TRASH NPC
410,757,864,530 DEAD AI

Anything that actually attacks is way better than Wobb, Solrock, or Eevee. Clefairy and Togepi at least spam Life dew when they don’t attack but that doesn’t help if NPCs are getting oneshot. I’ve never had issues with Dhelmise aside from grass being a terrible defensive typing.

A terrible one people never seen to mention is Hawlucha. Half the time it uses Feather dance when the barrier is up, doing nothing at all. Also special mention for Snorlax, who likes to use Giga impact and lose every other turn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

CubeTheory posted:

This is not a joke. I am going to murder the Pokeball guy. I'm going to buy a PokeShovel and smash him in his big plastic head until the darkness inside spills out like candy from a pinata. I will plunder his corpse and use the Flame Orb he has kept from me to incinerate his body. There will be no closure for his family, no ceremony for his remembrance. He is a fiend and I shall return him to the depths of hell.

Ball Guy is a treasure and you are mean :smith:

RatHat posted:

Anything that actually attacks is way better than Wobb, Solrock, or Eevee. Clefairy and Togepi at least spam Life dew when they don’t attack but that doesn’t help if NPCs are getting oneshot. I’ve never had issues with Dhelmise aside from grass being a terrible defensive typing.

A terrible one people never seen to mention is Hawlucha. Half the time it uses Feather dance when the barrier is up, doing nothing at all. Also special mention for Snorlax, who likes to use Giga impact and lose every other turn.

I'd hate Hawlucha more if I saw it more. I feel like that's a rare ally. I can tolerate Snorlax if not only because it's tanky enough to not die in one hit most of the time.

As for Dhelmise, I feel like I have it on my team all the time, it's impossibly slow, and gets super effective hit by pretty much everything. It's guaranteed to die before it even gets to attack most of the time and I don't like it. Also Dhelmise is weird and I don't really like it anyway.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 5, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Id just keep that guy frankly. The egg birth rate usually doesn’t matter much since lots of eggs will hatch slower than that so youll fill up anyways. Also its also fine to build up nature dittos as a separate stock and just breed for nature first before doing the IV breeding.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do this.

I think I have Timid, Hasty, Naive, Modest, and a couple of the decent other defensive natures.

Still don't have Jolly or Adamant, though.

Does anyone with a spare high-IV Jolly/Adamant Ditto want a Naive or Hasty similarly high-IV Ditto?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 5, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CubeTheory posted:

This but about Hop

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Macaluso posted:

This but about Hop

This but myself.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PokeShovel is 100BP, get grinding

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

SpaceCadetBob posted:

just breed for nature first before doing the IV breeding.

Yeah, this. IVs are the final step and you don't really need to worry about high IVs on your nature dittos. Sure it speeds things up a bit but most of the time spent is going from wrong 5 IVs to true 5IV (with the correct dump stat) in my experience anyway.

Always breed for nature first!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Breed for love, breeding for sport is how you get Dracovish.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Epic High Five posted:

PokeShovel is 100BP, get grinding

Ahahahaha, I wish. I've spent 7 days grinding this tournament refight. I do it at work, I do it at home, I do it while laying in bed and while eating. I've made millions and millions of PokeDollars, I have infinity pokeballs and every pokemon I bring is at level 100 now. I've gotten several Life Orbs and Iron Balls. I have not gotten a Flame Orb. Why have they done this. Why did you do this to me Nintendo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Then again I've been having my Mudsdale pumping so many loads into a Ponyta so I can surprise trade the offspring for trash squirrels that I let rot in boxes that I don't really have any room to talk.

In conclusion, spay and neuter your Pokemon, if you breed Pokemon you're a bad person and should lose your Trainer License.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Breed for love, breeding for sport is how you get Dracovish.

Apparently that abomination is actually really good? I should make one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Framboise posted:

The Draco ones are
the Arcto ones might be UU but mostly eeeh.

The draco ones are goddamn nightmares given form and not just for looking like that. That Fish Dragon is entirely too drat good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I hope future Pokemon games let us make more adorable abominations that should not be given flesh.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Framboise posted:

They have a 170 base power STAB move when they outspeed the opponent, so yeah. They only have 75 base speed though so while it's easy to outspeed something in singleplayer with that speed it's not as easy in competitive.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
They are fun, but I haven’t found them to be particularly useful in BSS. Unsupported they are either two slow, or not strong enough to consistently win, and if you support them with weather or speed control that support pokemon spot is to much of a loss compared to a type coverage mon.

Im still real new to comp play though so maybe I’m wrong.

Right now I’m having tons of success with focus sash setup sweepers that can come in on the enemy dynamax after losing a starter and tanking a final hit from the max with the sash and then counter sweeping.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Eh I feel its easier to grind up a mint then bottlecaps. Then again I literally never bothered doing anything like this so I'll take the L.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

They have a 170 base power STAB move when they outspeed the opponent, so yeah. They only have 75 base speed though so while it's easy to outspeed something in singleplayer with that speed it's not as easy in competitive.

Choice Scarf, maybe?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Framboise posted:

Choice Scarf, maybe?

even with scarf they aren't particularly quick, but it's definitely an option. Sticky Web support is good too, but it's also reasonable to just use them primarily as wallbreakers who prey on slower mons. if you can get them in safely against something slow then you basically get a free KO because switching out counts as "going second", meaning whatever comes in to eat the hit is gonna take the full 170 power

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Leal posted:

Eh I feel its easier to grind up a mint then bottlecaps. Then again I literally never bothered doing anything like this so I'll take the L.

Nah, just spam the left digging brother for bottlecaps. You also get them rarely when raiding.

For BP once you've gotten to Master rank in both Battle tower sections there's no fast way to get it, you just have to grind Battle tower battles which are pretty slow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RatHat posted:

Jolly Scarf Vish outspeeds Adamant or Modest Dragopult.

And most things.

Or run doubles with anything with tailwind (Prankster Whimsicott is the go to)

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Leal posted:

I hope these people I surprise trade a 5 perfect IV Eevee to have unlocked the IV checker and don't think I'm an rear end in a top hat sending out level 1 Eevees :ohdear:

I hope people appreciate that I've sent out literally 6 boxes of duraludons...nevermind the fact that they're all 4 or 5 perfect ivs. I swear I will never get a shiny or 6iv one. I still have a whole box left of 3 and 4 iv ones and like 6 of them are actually 5 iv. Just gimme my drat shiny or 6iv....gently caress!

I've gotten like 15 wooloos, yampers, and stuffuls each. Surprise trade me something I dont have in my dex at least damnit.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 6, 2019

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

CubeTheory posted:

:yikes:

Macaluso posted:

This but about Hop

:wrong:

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Re:dracovish, I'm attempting a prankster trick room whimsicoot setup for dracovish in OU, sometimes it work. :getin:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CubeTheory posted:

Maybe have yourself a wee sit down and a think before you type out something eh? Lord knows I've made the same mistake.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GenericGirlName posted:

Re:dracovish, I'm attempting a prankster trick room whimsicoot setup for dracovish in OU, sometimes it work. :getin:

You could use Arctovish and Arctozolt for a Trick room team since they have 55 speed. Their typings are worse than the other 2 fossils though.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Flopsy posted:

Maybe have yourself a wee sit down and a think before you type out something eh? Lord knows I've made the same mistake.

Eh, it was obviously hyperbole against a fictional character with less than 50 lines of dialogue. I'm just frustrated after spending 8+ hours almost every day for a week and being no closer to getting it than when I started. I have so much other stuff I want to do in the game, but I'm sunk cost fallacy-ing myself hard here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Let they who have never fantasized about murdering a random Pokemon NPC cast the first stone.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I hope future Pokemon games let us make more adorable abominations that should not be given flesh.

Gamefreak give us free dlc or put the other halves in the next game so there are 16 different freaks running around.

Edit Actually make it so you can fuse all the parts into one mega abomination

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Gotta say, now that I'm actually getting into competitive cart play, and starting to understand the flow of matches I am really not a fan of 6v6 on PS. Just constant switching in for type advantage until oops someone made a mistake. I find it incredibly tedious, though maybe it's just cause I'm bad at it.

Pretty glad that PS has cartridge formats at least. Maybe I'll even give doubles a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RatHat posted:

You could use Arctovish and Arctozolt for a Trick room team since they have 55 speed. Their typings are worse than the other 2 fossils though.

Arctovish is missing Strong Jaw too