Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
eh, i think those are way cooler moments when you don't know they're coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

Even in my first playthrough (where I took Necropsy, relied heavily on all kinds of guns, and fabricated a bunch of ammo), exotic was always a more limited resource than metal, by far. And while you can get them "with just psi power" (once you're far enough into the game that you can reliably squish anything you encounter and have either completed the psi-water quest or have reliable access to a science operator), you do run out of enemies eventually. I definitely never had anywhere near 100 exotic. What the hell are you doing that results in such a huge exotic surplus?

I actually didn't get psi water that run because I didn't think it was an important quest :v: But you can beeline it pretty easily actually, plus beelining psychoshock also makes you able to beat up most things on nightmare.

Speaking of, that's actually where a lot of the exotic came from, I fought a lot of nightmares, every time I changed area more or less. Plus regular enemies do respawn a lot? If you do area transitions a lot you fight a lot of poo poo.

I'm not sure though if weapon degradation had a big impact on this, because I don't remember being able to pick up multiples of weapons? I thought you just got ammo if you picked one up previously, and I recycle a lot of guns into metal now. I definitely feel like I have a lot more metal this playthrough than I did that time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 3, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I don't remember being able to pick up multiples of weapons? I thought you just got ammo if you picked one up previously

Get that streamlined deus ex kiddie poo poo out of here. Prey is a proper simulation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

Even in my first playthrough (where I took Necropsy, relied heavily on all kinds of guns, and fabricated a bunch of ammo), exotic was always a more limited resource than metal, by far. And while you can get them "with just psi power" (once you're far enough into the game that you can reliably squish anything you encounter and have either completed the psi-water quest or have reliable access to a science operator), you do run out of enemies eventually. I definitely never had anywhere near 100 exotic. What the hell are you doing that results in such a huge exotic surplus?

Their experience matches my own. Many rooms experience multiple waves of spawns and there are some really big caches of exotic material. The bigger typhons drop a ton of it, too. There are times when exotics are a bottleneck but by endgame it's plentiful

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also if you use powers judiciously, you can break down psi stims for quite a lot of exotic.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too found that I was swimming in exotics; it was always either synthetic or metal that held me back.

DreadCthulhu posted:

3. drat, the q beam is pretty nuts against larger targets like the telepathic thing in the greenhouse. Chasing after it with the shotgun just didn't work, but it evaporated in half a second with the beam

Definitely read the research logs after you scan things. It tells you what kinds of attacks work on which sorts of targets. For a few enemies like mimics it doesn't really matter what you shoot them with, they're fragile, but for a lot of stuff it's the difference between a couple seconds of easy shooting vs trying to dump dozens of bullets into something that resists it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be honest I'd be half inclined to just slather the stuff all over myself or start eating it just to get more space magic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I actually didn't get psi water that run because I didn't think it was an important quest :v: But you can beeline it pretty easily actually, plus beelining psychoshock also makes you able to beat up most things on nightmare.

I'm playing on nightmare right now, and Psychoshock is great for shutting down individual targets, but since it lacks raw power you need another power to actually finish them off (I like Superthermal), and since it's single target you need a backup for crowd control.

quote:

Speaking of, that's actually where a lot of the exotic came from, I fought a lot of nightmares, every time I changed area more or less. Plus regular enemies do respawn a lot? If you do area transitions a lot you fight a lot of poo poo.

Regular enemies respawn when plot happens, but won't respawn "randomly" as you move around, as far as I can tell. For example, once you're in the Arboretum, you can clear it out, then move between the Arboretum, Bridge, and GUTS as much as you want and the Arboretum will still be clear. More enemies will appear at some point while you're in Crew Quarters, possibly once you have all the voice samples, but if you clear those out you won't get any more until you're done with Deep Storage.

quote:

I'm not sure though if weapon degradation had a big impact on this, because I don't remember being able to pick up multiples of weapons? I thought you just got ammo if you picked one up previously, and I recycle a lot of guns into metal now. I definitely feel like I have a lot more metal this playthrough than I did that time.

You definitely can; picking up a duplicate weapon also gives you a bit of ammo most of the time, but you keep (and can recycle) the weapon as well, if you have the inventory space for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
My husband and I picked this game up recently, and I just finished it last night. We were not expecting that twist ending :stare:

For my first playthrough I printed infinite Neuromods and became an insane space wizard who solved absolutely every problem with telekinetic explosions (to the point that Regeneration 2 was my second most valuable ability, because sometimes problems happen at melee range and Morgan is not immune to explosions), but now I want to try winning as an unmodded human. Is it possible to complete Prey without using a single Neuromod? That sounds like an interesting challenge that would force me to avoid direct conflict and come up with clever strategies, but I'm a little concerned that my lacking damage output and limited ability to access alternate routes would turn it into a slog (assuming it's even possible at all).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s super duper doable but you can’t carry anything because inventory mods are neuromods and not suit upgrades

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Angry Diplomat posted:

My husband and I picked this game up recently, and I just finished it last night. We were not expecting that twist ending :stare:

Now the thread needs to know, does the ending mean your playthrough has no meaning, making the game retroactively bad? :allears:

Yeah, you can definitely beat the game without neuromods and there's even the No Needles achievement for this. The difficulty really comes not from the lack of combat upgrades, but from the lack of inventory upgrades. :negative:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s an explicit achievement for not using a single neuromod. It does typically involves a lot more sneaking around than any other kind of run but the lack of access isn’t necessarily a problem because you also have much less need for resources outside of ammo and grenades.

You can barely upgrade your guns so no need to craft upgrade kits, don’t need to craft mods (obviously), don’t need psi hypos. I just wouldn’t do it with the survival modifiers or on Nightmare.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to be a lovely terrified squatter eating week-old eel jelly in the haunted ventilation system of an exploding space station.

Jan posted:

Now the thread needs to know, does the ending mean your playthrough has no meaning, making the game retroactively bad? :allears:

I actually got the opposite feeling. Throughout most of the game I had a sense that I was basically being faced with a trolley problem - risk killing all of humanity, or kill everyone on the station just to be sure? It makes for good horror - there's a great element of existential doubt there - but it's more or less reducible down to a binary decision: you decide which choice is right, and then spend most of the game trying to pursue that choice (or sort of hedging your bets while you pursue both options, and then making a final decision at the last minute).

But my instinct (and the style of play I enjoy) is to simply do what seems right on an individual basis, so I just sort of organically helped the survivors and tried to fix things as I went along, reasoning that I could simply blow everything up if the Typhon turned out to be an insurmountable threat. When I eventually got Dahl neurotomied so the survivors had an escape route, I felt that I had solved the central crisis, because simply saving myself and leaving everyone to die never interested me as an option; with a third path now open, I had successfully derailed the trolley and avoided any need to sacrifice others. All that was left was to decide which choice was better for humanity as a whole.

I felt very satisfied with that outcome, and then felt extremely :aaa: when I realized I had essentially been in purgatory the entire time, and had just surprised Alex and his Operators by demonstrating a humanity that rivaled and almost certainly exceeded that possessed by any of the Yus; unaware that anyone was watching or that I was being judged, I had shown compassion for its own sake, and Alex was moved to do the same for me.

It was a tremendous holy poo poo moment and it made me feel good about myself. I took his hand :shobon:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 4, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So what did you do about the shuttle with survivors who were already en route to earth when you woke up

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

HenryEx posted:

So what did you do about the shuttle with survivors who were already en route to earth when you woke up

I fretted over the decision until less than a minute was left on the timer, and then decided to leave them alone. I already knew that I was going to try to get the survivors off-station if I could, and they had all been bumming around in a hellscape full of Typhon for a while; since I was willing to send them home (and possibly myself, despite the gallon or so of space-demon blood I had already mainlined into my eyeballs in pursuit of psionic power), it felt hypocritical to condemn a half-dozen people who, by all accounts, appeared to have safely departed without incident before all hell broke loose. If I had already decided to Kill Everyone Just To Be Sure, I would have blown them up, but it seems morally inconsistent to do so in any other case; if you'd kill the shuttle mooks, I feel like you're already following a line of reasoning that logically concludes in a moral imperative to kill Mikhaila, the Cargo Bay survivors, Alex, yourself, and every other poor fucker on Talos I as well.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Now do Mooncrash and tell us all about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm playing on nightmare right now, and Psychoshock is great for shutting down individual targets, but since it lacks raw power you need another power to actually finish them off (I like Superthermal), and since it's single target you need a backup for crowd control.

Yes, if you want to kill them quicker you need something else, and superthermal is a good one, but I still suggest psychoshock first because it nullifies their ranged attacks and disables a lot of their other abilities, and it works on literally everything.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Wait, does Psychoshock work on Operators? I thought machines were, like, the specific thing it didn't work on.

Mike the TV posted:

Now do Mooncrash and tell us all about it.

Seriously considering it!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

E: it's good^^

Underrated aspect of psi abilities is that they all give you free slow mo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, does Psychoshock work on Operators? I thought machines were, like, the specific thing it didn't work on.

Oh yeah I guess it doesn't work on operators but that's what the stun gun is for.

It works on all the actually dangerous poo poo that you might struggle to fight otherwise. Whereas the elemental powers all have things that resist them and they don't make the bastards less lethal while they're alive. Plus as you can't one shot very many things you need another power for the double tap, might as well make it the cheap 25 psi one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

It doesn't but electroshock does tons of bonus damage to them.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Son of a bitch, the cook got me so many times already with his traps, I love it. It creates this extra tension in the game where you wonder if he's about to pop out of somewhere and gently caress you up. Delightfully twisted and mysterious character.

BTW this really gives me an appreciation for how hard it is to put together a real quality horror genre experience. It is all about mystery and not knowing why or what's coming next, and I think they do a decent job at it, even though I wish the monsters were perhaps a little less routine, where they lose their scariness.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

HenryEx posted:

The game is basically set up with the foreknowledge that there's basically no way that the Typhon don't reach Earth. There are just too many holes in Talos One to plug. Mooncrash's denouement may or may not be one of many points of invasion.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Man, they sure love their eels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to be a lovely terrified squatter eating week-old eel jelly in the haunted ventilation system of an exploding space station.

I actually got the opposite feeling. Throughout most of the game I had a sense that I was basically being faced with a trolley problem - risk killing all of humanity, or kill everyone on the station just to be sure? It makes for good horror - there's a great element of existential doubt there - but it's more or less reducible down to a binary decision: you decide which choice is right, and then spend most of the game trying to pursue that choice (or sort of hedging your bets while you pursue both options, and then making a final decision at the last minute).

But my instinct (and the style of play I enjoy) is to simply do what seems right on an individual basis, so I just sort of organically helped the survivors and tried to fix things as I went along, reasoning that I could simply blow everything up if the Typhon turned out to be an insurmountable threat. When I eventually got Dahl neurotomied so the survivors had an escape route, I felt that I had solved the central crisis, because simply saving myself and leaving everyone to die never interested me as an option; with a third path now open, I had successfully derailed the trolley and avoided any need to sacrifice others. All that was left was to decide which choice was better for humanity as a whole.

I felt very satisfied with that outcome, and then felt extremely :aaa: when I realized I had essentially been in purgatory the entire time, and had just surprised Alex and his Operators by demonstrating a humanity that rivaled and almost certainly exceeded that possessed by any of the Yus; unaware that anyone was watching or that I was being judged, I had shown compassion for its own sake, and Alex was moved to do the same for me.

It was a tremendous holy poo poo moment and it made me feel good about myself. I took his hand :shobon:

My first playthrough ended like this too and was very satisfying. I'll probably do an all out typhon powers with a different outcome because why not.

So far I've done two characters on Mooncrash and I'm loving it (PC). I'd love to get the game on PS4 too but there's no physical GOTY edition for it as I want to have it as a collector's thing.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

-The treasure hunt gives a good bonus, but you can just google the solution and get the reward.

doesn't it give you an actually detrimental reward if you enter the code without solving the quest first

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Shhhhhh

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Is there a moment in the main quest where you can no longer go back and finish the side quests, or do you have the option to go back pretty much anytime?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a moment in the main quest where you can no longer go back and finish the side quests, or do you have the option to go back pretty much anytime?

Actually heading to Deep Storage got me locked into a specific string of areas for awhile, but I'm pretty sure it's going to open up again once I get done in Life Support.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah, I just got out of Deep Storage myself, it seems like it's getting close to the end, but maybe it's just the game messing with you, and you're still hours away.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There is absolutely a point of no return, but it's pretty loving unmistakable and comes right after doing a fairly heavily plot-significant thing and right before the game ends. You'll know when you hit the final sequence. That's your cue to load your last quicksave if you still want to dick around with side quests :v:

e: going into mooncrash totally blind, wish me luck folks

e2: plugged the doodad into the thingy, started up a run, and immediately found the corpse of my real actual IRL mother. It has her name and even vaguely resembles her. What the gently caress :stare:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2019

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Sounds like the game was built for you!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sounds like you’re playing the game from the Playtest episode of Black Mirror

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Aced the first run no problem. Immediately got loving obliterated by a moon shark in the second. Don't like that at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

e2: plugged the doodad into the thingy, started up a run, and immediately found the corpse of my real actual IRL mother. It has her name and even vaguely resembles her. What the gently caress :stare:

Two of my high school friends are in this game. They even have a mini story line in logs bitching about each other. I thought it was too weird to be a coincidence so I looked one of them up on Facebook with one of them and it turns out they’re both internet friends with Shawn Elliot from his CGW Radio days and he put them in the game. It’s pretty crazy how this game got me back in contact with someone who I hadn’t heard from in a decade like that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Alright the bloody footprints when you're haemorrhaging are a great touch. Also I just found the fuckin typhon lightsabre and this thing absolutely whips rear end. I never want to look at a wrench again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

note that it can do so at a distance as well

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Two of my high school friends are in this game. They even have a mini story line in logs bitching about each other. I thought it was too weird to be a coincidence so I looked one of them up on Facebook with one of them and it turns out they’re both internet friends with Shawn Elliot from his CGW Radio days and he put them in the game. It’s pretty crazy how this game got me back in contact with someone who I hadn’t heard from in a decade like that.

that's fuckin dope

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alright the bloody footprints when you're haemorrhaging are a great touch. Also I just found the fuckin typhon lightsabre and this thing absolutely whips rear end. I never want to look at a wrench again.

I started and finished Mooncrash while I was about halfway through the original game, and was disappointed that the weapon you mentioned wasn't in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I found this classic from my youtube videos

Prey Spoilers beware

https://youtu.be/BkzL2sarD5A