Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess they could have Waititi voice the whole line of them

I was thinking they could have IG-88 show up, as he's a droid he doesn't really have a life span and could easily be alive during The Mandalorian (or even Last Jedi) and since he's a droid you don't have to worry about casting someone with the same appearance

Although I kinda like that they made it IG-11 instead.

I'd prefer some kind of running gag with the idea that IG-11 transmitted a video of his "death" and now the entire line is coming after Mando. And all of them are voiced by an increasingly pissed off sounding Taika Waititi. Except IG-88, who is voiced by Jermaine Clement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

Source? Is there one for each ep? Because :allears:

Source found: https://www.instagram.com/dvglzv/ This dude is amazing.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Cartoon Man posted:

Are we ready for another weekly cycle of Mandalorian posting tomorrow?

Day 1: “Holy poo poo that was amazing!”
Day 2: “We’ll actually it was dumb because tactical stuff and they should’ve done this.”
Day 3: “Holy poo poo new Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 4: “This is the worst Star Wars ever since The Last Jedi. Here’s my 10 page essay on why Last Jedi is awful.”
Day 5: “More Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 6 and 7: “Here’s all this non Disney canon former expanded universe stuff that they should incorporate because”

Very accurate. Just missing the "lol, this is just a video game" debate about narrative structure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Going up at 3:15? For shame Disney, get on Netflix’s level.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

loving Amy Sedaris cmon!! everyone in comedy getting into this show

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Now that was a drat good episode

There was so many callbacks god lord, from Tatooine to the same booth Han was in and there was a high ground bit.

I wonder why Mando didn't bring his rifle when they went out, I guess was he worried about disintegrating the target? He went back to her body in the end so I hope he gets paid or takes her sniper

Mayman10 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 6, 2019

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

That was not the mandalorian at the end. It may be A mandalorian. Mando has silver cylinders on his right boot and does not walk with spur sounds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m not really sure what the point of that episode was. It’s the first one that felt a bit like filler, just fanservice with the location.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The acting was a bit poor in this episode but you can excuse the kid, as he's ya know, a kid.

Who is the mando with the spurs? A leader of another clan of mandalorians? Must have been another bounty hunter and was tracking the same target.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Jerkface posted:

That was not the mandalorian at the end. It may be A mandalorian. Mando has silver cylinders on his right boot and does not walk with spur sounds.

the thigh plate thing is Mando's busted up red one isn't it? But yeah I wasn't super certain cause there weren't the silver cylinders, but it could be another mandalorian :shrug:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not really sure what the point of that episode was. It’s the first one that felt a bit like filler, just fanservice with the location.

I don't get this complaint. What do we think the "point" of the series is that we need an episode to fill us in on? If we look at it the plot momentum right now is around the Mandalorian loving with the bounty hunter guild & stealing baby yoda. This episode continues the threat that people are tracking BY & Mando, we get confirmation that word is out on him shooting up the BHer guild on his old planet, and we are introduced to a new potential threat. We see the attrition that running from all these BHers is going to take. AND its a fun western bounty hunt.

Edit: I'm also going to have to push back on the acting complaints, its clearly a choice, kind of like GL choosing to make everyone talk like an idiot in the prequels. So far everyone has been very earnest just like old school western TV shows. Amy Sedaris & Jake Cannavale are not bad actors, and their delivery must be intentional. Ming-na wen was of course solid.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 6, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Josh Lyman posted:

It wasn't terrible or anything, but if you're only doing eight episodes and most of them are just 30 minutes you need to spend your time a lot more wisely than that.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

This was definitely the most Western episode yet and it ruled

also it's a nice touch that Mando hates droids since they murdered his parents

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mayman10 posted:

This was definitely the most Western episode yet and it ruled

also it's a nice touch that Mando hates droids since they murdered his parents

The first episode he insists on a landspeeder back to his ship not piloted by a Droid, good internal consistency there

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Donovan Trip posted:

The first episode he insists on a landspeeder back to his ship not piloted by a Droid, good internal consistency there

I forgot about that part! I have to look to see how he treats the bounty Droid again, other than the shooting it in the face that is

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankenstyle posted:

It wasn't terrible or anything, but if you're only doing eight episodes and most of them are just 30 minutes you need to spend your time a lot more wisely than that.

It’s not a movie, it’s a western TV show. We’re not saving the galaxy, it’s a road trip with Mando and the child. Love the line about the sand people, always knew Anakin was a drat racist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

First weak episode of the season for me. Might've been because my expectations were too high with this being a full-on Filoni episode though. It wasn't like, bad, but it just wasn't a good episode either. I'm left mostly cold on the direction. It all felt very much like Filoni is still trying to work out his style in live-action; other than the CG dog fight in the beginning, everything else on set had very basic looking shots/blocking that never felt as cinematic as the 4 prior episodes. The speeder-bike stuff was kinda cool I guess.

Narrative wise it was whatever, which is the most surprising to me since Filoni was the writer. Lots of the bad kind of fanservice in this ep (pit droids, the cantina, sand people, etc.) which was a bit off-putting. The episode only pushed the plot forward incrementally and ended on a hook, so overall, disappointing. I was also surprised/disappointed that Ming-Na Wen got fridged so quickly. Thought for sure she was going to have a meatier role. Oh well. My hype is pretty deflated right now tbh, but I'll cop that to maybe me not tempering my expectations properly.

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 6, 2019

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I really enjoyed this episode. Definitely had that old Western feel.
"But I'm not wearing beskar."
"Nope."

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Not gonna lie, I would watch a sitcom about Amy Sedaris-space mechanic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Worst episode so far. Which is to say it was still a very good episode, but the references felt more obtrusive this time. It felt like it could have used a bit more time to breathe, too. Good visuals, though. They’ve done a good job of making their desert planets look distinct from each other, at least, and the impaled Stormtrooper helmets were a really striking image.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm enjoying the "challenge of the week" TV format, but 30 minutes just feels a little short, which is really the only complaint I've had so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's a real shame the bounty hunter in the opening didn't have plot armor shields on his ship like Mando did. :rip:

Jerkface posted:

I don't get this complaint. What do we think the "point" of the series is that we need an episode to fill us in on? If we look at it the plot momentum right now is around the Mandalorian loving with the bounty hunter guild & stealing baby yoda. This episode continues the threat that people are tracking BY & Mando, we get confirmation that word is out on him shooting up the BHer guild on his old planet, and we are introduced to a new potential threat. We see the attrition that running from all these BHers is going to take. AND its a fun western bounty hunt.

I mean that information in your spoiler text could've been told last episode too. Maybe he overhears a conversation in the bar about how someone shot up the bounty guild.

Frankenstyle posted:

:agreed:

e: the fight choreography and editing is still terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 6, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Are we ready for another weekly cycle of Mandalorian posting tomorrow?

Day 1: “Holy poo poo that was amazing!”
Day 2: “We’ll actually it was dumb because tactical stuff and they should’ve done this.”
Day 3: “Holy poo poo new Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 4: “This is the worst Star Wars ever since The Last Jedi. Here’s my 10 page essay on why Last Jedi is awful.”
Day 5: “More Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 6 and 7: “Here’s all this non Disney canon former expanded universe stuff that they should incorporate because”

Luckily I've only really been reading day 1 of this thread

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
If the movies weren't so terrible about banging nostalgia over our heads, I think people might appreciate the bits in this episode a bit more.

I loved the bartender joke.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I love how the bar looked a lot more run down and depressing than in Ep 4. Kinda fits with where the galaxy is at after the fall of the empire.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I thought it was fine, but agree that it's a little weird that they're doing "bottle episodes" with such a strong central conflict and like 90 more minutes to bring it to some kind of resolution or cliffhanger.

When the Mandalorian was a heavy sleeper, I was expecting a reveal that that was a ruse he set up knowing the sniper had the optics to see them and we would cut to him in his skivvies jumping her while she was watching his armor scarecrow.

I also liked The Mandolorian showing a different skill set than blasting through things with the Tuskens and showing he's learning to be more diplomatic as long as you're not stealing his rims. I was a little worried he'd start talking in their hooting language, but the sign language was a nice way to handle it, and it would make a lot of sense to have a common pidgin be a manual form of communication where not everyone is capable of forming the sounds of the others, but most everyone has two or more upper appendages.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 6, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

ghostinmyshell posted:

If the movies weren't so terrible about banging nostalgia over our heads, I think people might appreciate the bits in this episode a bit more.

I loved the bartender joke.

People say that about the movies, but TFA is the only one that's kinda guilty of it. Stuff like the "I'm a wanted man" guy in Rogue One or Jabba's doorbell and the ice cream maker in this show just feel like nice little acknowledgements to the stories roots rather than pandering. This episode is the first time I've felt bashed in the face with a non-stop chain of "Hey guys, remember Pit Droids and the cantina and Dewbacks and Jabba's torture droid and stuff?" And the thing is you could have gotten away with all that mostly just fine if it was set dressing instead of rubbed in your nose. I'm not surprised to find out that this one was directed by one of the cartoon guys because it overshot family friendly and landed firmly on the very young child friendly vibe of the cartoons. It felt like one of those family reunion conversations between an uncle who likes kids well enough but never had any of his own trying to relate to an eight year old nephew. There's plenty of good intentions, but overall it's just awkward.

On the plus side, the second they spotted the Banthas I thought oh poo poo I hope they do that thing you see in so many westerns where they come upon some Native American "savages" and the hero has a pleasant respectful conversation with them and his crew is all like "Waaaat? I thought these guys were just mindless animals!?!?" And then that's what they did. That moment is the thing that really pushed this episode one click up from odd and pointless for me. But I really hope they keep the cartoon people away from these shows because they're clearly not up for it. It reminds of a journalism class I took in high school. The teacher had been working in an elementary school for ten years. She was fine and positive and she meant well, but her entire teaching method was targeted at dealing with third graders and it was hard for everyone not to hate her because she always sounded like she was talking to toddlers.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Frankenstyle posted:

People say that about the movies, but TFA is the only one that's kinda guilty of it. Stuff like the "I'm a wanted man" guy in Rogue One or Jabba's doorbell and the ice cream maker in this show just feel like nice little acknowledgements to the stories roots rather than pandering. This episode is the first time I've felt bashed in the face with a non-stop chain of "Hey guys, remember Pit Droids and the cantina and Dewbacks and Jabba's torture droid and stuff?" And the thing is you could have gotten away with all that mostly just fine if it was set dressing instead of rubbed in your nose. I'm not surprised to find out that this one was directed by one of the cartoon guys because it overshot family friendly and landed firmly on the very young child friendly vibe of the cartoons. It felt like one of those family reunion conversations between an uncle who likes kids well enough but never had any of his own trying to relate to an eight year old nephew. There's plenty of good intentions, but overall it's just awkward.

See, I thought putting Dr. Ezravan on Jeddha was the bad sort of "pandering" intertextuality. Now he's gotta make a transport off the planet and get to Tattooine soon. Is the universe that small that he keeps bumping into future heroes of the Rebellion?

But the droids and equipment and containers and stuff usually works since it doesn't even have to be specifically, and I didn't have a problem with them in this episode. The droid isn't necessarilly Jabba's torture droid, unless you believe that MerenData only ever shipped one of that model to Tatooine. And even if he is, I mean, at least he is a character on the planet in the vicinity who could totally take over for Wurhur once the cantina business goes bad enough he lets droids in. Turning Fett's Holiday Special Cartoon weapon into a badass disruptor rifle is cool.

The pit droids were there as a small nod to say "yes, we do have to acknowledge the prequels happened" and a little something for the kids. I think the requisite "edge" was provided by The neophyte bounty hunter brutally gut-shooting the helpless sniper in his misguided triple-cross.

Definitely agreed about how they handled the sand people. Loved mando's delivery on "they seem to think it's their planet."

In general I think in spite of wearing a bucket Pascal is doing a great job with his delivery and slowly adding depth to the stock Stoic Badass character. At least I feel like he's selling a gradual softening towards The Kid and when he opens up to people. I feel like they've sketched out a character who knows that he needs to build a reputation and is good at what he does, but he's a human under the mask and will let that out when he needs to work with people, or they've shown themselves to be kind like the widow.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 6, 2019

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Frankenstyle posted:

But I really hope they keep the cartoon people away from these shows because they're clearly not up for it.

I mean Filoni is the executive producer of the show, as well as the director of Chapter 1, so I think he's sticking around, and also it would really suck if he wasn't making stuff.

I was fine with bringing back Pit Droids/Sand People/etc. for this episode. They're already established as things that are part of the setting, so why not have them here? Makes it different than the last desert planet.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Owlbear Camus posted:

The droid isn't necessarilly Jabba's torture droid,

To be fair I really liked that moment, and hope it is the same droid. As soon a he popped up I was picturing him walking across the dunes to town for job interviews since Jabba wouldn't be cutting any more paychecks. But with him showing up in the middle of a cavalcade of "Remember this?" moments his scene gets a little lost in the middle.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

PunkBoy posted:

I mean Filoni is the executive producer of the show, as well as the director of Chapter 1, so I think he's sticking around, and also it would really suck if he wasn't making stuff.

I was fine with bringing back Pit Droids/Sand People/etc. for this episode. They're already established as things that are part of the setting, so why not have them here? Makes it different than the last desert planet.

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize he directed the first episode. Well maybe he isn't the problem.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the cartoons. I've seen a few episodes of most all of them, and while they don't grab me personally every one had me going "If you took this story and these characters and aimed them at a slightly older audience these show would probably be peak Star Wars".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Were I the Mandalorian I would simply set up a small, self-sufficient space station in an absolutely random location outside any systems and well clear of any hyperspace trade routes and stock it with consumables and a droid nanny.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Loved this episode. And I appreciate that the show is only tangentially about the "big plot", but instead is mostly just the Mando moving from one problem to the next. He's not saving the galaxy, he's just surviving. Refreshing when most movies/TV shows all need to be about the "big thing".

My only problem was that was a drat waste of Ming-Na Wen. What the hell, show?

Everyone posted:

I'd prefer some kind of running gag with the idea that IG-11 transmitted a video of his "death" and now the entire line is coming after Mando. And all of them are voiced by an increasingly pissed off sounding Taika Waititi. Except IG-88, who is voiced by Jermaine Clement.

Well now I need this, you son of a bitch.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I was pretty stoked when they revealed that after two non-tatooines and one ice-tatooine we are going to see actual Tatooine, but it looked kinda off. The emptiness was obviously deliberate but it reminded me of the X-Men mansion scene in Deadpool. It felt as if they couldn't afford to provide full Tatooine experience so we had to settle for some props and references. Or like as if you went to a Star Wars con that promised you Darth Vader but there's just Jake Loyd.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mayman10 posted:

I forgot about that part! I have to look to see how he treats the bounty Droid again, other than the shooting it in the face that is

As I recall he's fully professional with it (if a bit exasperated at the tendency for it to go straight to "self-destruct). Mando might avoid droids if he has his "druthers" but he can exercise self-control of that. He didn't even raise a fuss about a droid taking them back to his ship at the end of the last episode (probably because it was either that or a fifteen-hour walk back to his ship).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize he directed the first episode. Well maybe he isn't the problem.

I mentioned this in the other SW TV thread, but it for definitely feels like Filoni is still trying to get a grasp on directing live-action. I can't be too hard on his direction, since it's only his second outing in the series, but this episode felt a lot weaker than the first one he handled. But the only way to get better at something is to keep at it, and I'm still excited to see how Filoni further develops as a series director. I was more surprised by how weak the writing was for this episode.

PunkBoy posted:

My issue is it was fanservice for the sake of fanservice. Yeah, the episode takes place on Tatooine, but that doesn't mean you have to include all the trappings Tatooine entails. Show us different elements of the planet instead and make the fanservice stuff unobtrusive, not front and center. I think that's the best approach, unless said fanservice enriches the narrative in some meaningful way. Meeting the new character inside the same exact cantina that Han/Luke/Obi-Wan/Chewie meet in was kind of groan-worthy to me. [edit] Although, I'm remembering there were droids all up inside the cantina now, so I guess that's a neat little easter egg.

thrawn527 posted:

My only problem was that was a drat waste of Ming-Na Wen. What the hell, show?

Yeah same. My hope is whoever that person is that finds her somehow nurses her back to health.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 6, 2019

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Watched the Mandalorian with my niece during a road trip. She just turned 11, which by my calculations makes her the prime target for this show. She didn't catch every SW reference but she liked the zingers and of course The Child.

I like how the show pretty self contained. It feels like the early run of a comic book, where there's a random adventure somewhere, then off to the next one. I'm sure we'll be getting ~plot~ stuff eventually.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think my only real problem with this episode was the opening. That rival bounty hunter in the ship just sounded so much worse than anything else in this show, and I can't really figure out why. I don't think it was the acting (aside from a bit of the eyeroll-worthy setup for Mando's "that's my line" gag), but everything about the sound-mixing of the dialog just sounded awful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Like, I kind of get the complaints, but different people have different thresholds for what sort of intertextual references are "Fan Service."

For me, some of this stuff is just just reinforcing good economical worldbuilding and showing that there are standardized tools and equipment, and suppliers that operate on a galactic scale. Showing the audience a familiar, consistent world instead of novelty for its own sake. Some of the complaints hits my ears like if space aliens got our nonfiction/historical fiction broadcasts and were like "How come nearly every US soldier in this vietnam show is using Colt M-16s? Mix it up a little, add a blunderbus or two, maybe a phaser. Why does every airline layover happen in 'Atlanta' when there are many human cities? You're telling me for over one hundred years the professional and upper classes of nearly every country on this planet all wear 'ties?' It would be more believable if I don't know, they switched to torcs or amulets."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

teagone posted:

My issue is it was fanservice for the sake of fanservice. Yeah, the episode takes place on Tatooine, but that doesn't mean you have to include all the trappings Tatooine entails. Show us different elements of the planet instead and make the fanservice stuff unobtrusive, not front and center. I think that's the best approach, unless said fanservice enriches the narrative in some meaningful way. Meeting the new character inside the same exact cantina that Han/Luke/Obi-Wan/Chewie meet in was kind of groan-worthy to me.

Was that supposed to be Challum's Cantina? I thought it was just a generic one.

I dunno, for me, Pit Droids, dewbacks and Sand People are unobtrusive/generic enough to include without being in your face. If the episode had like, Amy Sedaris say "Found these Pit Droids at the old Podracing Circuit! They worked on the only human racer's pod!" or like, have the Sand People say they don't trust humans ever since that old guy , then I would be a bit more leery. I do say it would have been nice to see what Anchorhead looked like for once, though.

teagone posted:

Yeah same. My hope is whoever that person is that finds her somehow nurses her back to health.

Yeah, my (hopeful) take on it was that the unknown figure was there to revive Fennec.

Anyway, a couple stuff I really liked:
-The music during the ride out in the desert.
-The sniper fight. It was a very simple setup, unlike the last episode, but I thought it was still exciting.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 6, 2019