Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

try A-Wall with R97 and extendo-mag. Thank me later ;)

I already tried it with other guns. It's useless against half a team that never touches the ground.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SpazmasterX posted:

I already tried it with other guns. It's useless against half a team that never touches the ground.

It's really not, but I understand your feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AquDXbv2vC4&t=360s

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I meant the A-wall specifically, not the gun. It used to be an excellent anti-titan tool as well but it dies almost instantly to Titan weaponry now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
there are other gadgets besides the grappling hook??????????

why

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

I meant the A-wall specifically, not the gun. It used to be an excellent anti-titan tool as well but it dies almost instantly to Titan weaponry now.

Hmmmm, I dunno if that's my experience. When Colony Reborn dropped all they did was make it so it could be destroyed at its base. It's more likely to die to a grenade than a titan.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

why

Because Stim is loving baller, A-Wall is godlike, and Holo-Pilot is goofy rear end fun.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Stim is really great for an extra boost in movement and great for firefights. I usually use it when shot at, giving me a heal boost and extra movement to evade whoever is shooting me to give me a 2nd chance at the firefight.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
because i feel like the sexiest dude alive when i kill a pilot with the recon knife.

also the recon part of it is also cool i guess

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Hey, I think I'm going to fire up TF2 and play some MP. Maybe some Frontier Defense.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I thought I played a fair bit at G5, yesterday I came across a bunch of G50s and G90s. I'm just happy that the AUS servers have players again, but I forgot how much I wanted matchmaking.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love the spitfire with stim. Or L-star with stim.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I love the spitfire with stim. Or L-star with stim.

L-Star with Stim loving rips

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Wazzit posted:

Stim is really great for an extra boost in movement and great for firefights. I usually use it when shot at, giving me a heal boost and extra movement to evade whoever is shooting me to give me a 2nd chance at the firefight.

Case in Point
https://i.imgur.com/uSqDLne.gifv

A few from tonight. Pubs were out on the street, abandoning their Titan as they are being lasered.

https://i.imgur.com/mBi3cjM.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ZOZHvX0.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/btlpwPL.gifv

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Eyud posted:

Bought this game for a friend recently and after playing the campaign his reaction was basically "what the gently caress how is this game so good and why didn't more people play it".

Game still owns!

Well that’s because the multiplayer was a regression in almost every aspect from Titanfall 1, sorry to burst your bubble folks. The garish skins don’t help either and are completely at odds with the original. Even if it had been released earlier in 2016 I don’t believe it would have been more popular, except to PS4 players.

The MP missions in TF1 were about participating in a future war with a rugged utilitarian art design to the world and scripted elements. TF2 is a static virtual arena, like Halo, with a similar bland synthetic clean and sanitised design. The original, while unpolished, was the very first game to attempt a realistic online sci-fi conflict with AI soldiers and vehicles and cinematic elements, that has since been dumped and forgotten. What Halo should have done years earlier, or a sequel to Battlefield 2142.

Titanfall 2 is not a proper followup to Titanfall 1, it’s just a (very well made and inventive) story campaign expansion with an abomination of an MP mode slapped on. I put a good hundred hours in the 360 version, and was eager to play on Xbox One if it hadn’t been a jagged 720p visual mess. After the TF2 campaign, I put a handful of hours into the MP then uninstalled it immediately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

psyman posted:

Well that’s because the multiplayer was a regression in almost every aspect from Titanfall 1, sorry to burst your bubble folks. The garish skins don’t help either and are completely at odds with the original. Even if it had been released earlier in 2016 I don’t believe it would have been more popular, except to PS4 players.

The MP missions in TF1 were about participating in a future war with a rugged utilitarian art design to the world and scripted elements. TF2 is a static virtual arena, like Halo, with a similar bland synthetic clean and sanitised design. The original, while unpolished, was the very first game to attempt a realistic online sci-fi conflict with AI soldiers and vehicles and cinematic elements, that has since been dumped and forgotten. What Halo should have done years earlier, or a sequel to Battlefield 2142.

Titanfall 2 is not a proper followup to Titanfall 1, it’s just a (very well made and inventive) story campaign expansion with an abomination of an MP mode slapped on. I put a good hundred hours in the 360 version, and was eager to play on Xbox One if it hadn’t been a jagged 720p visual mess. After the TF2 campaign, I put a handful of hours into the MP then uninstalled it immediately.
Lol.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

psyman posted:

old man shakes fist at cloud

Anyway, TF2 is fun and good and everyone should play it because it owns.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lucas Archer posted:

Anyway, TF2 is fun and good and everyone should play it because it owns.

I forgot out *fast* this game is (or can be)! Took a couple games to get used to the movement again, and there are definitely some people who haven't taken a break from it, but it still is just an outstanding game.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Oh yeah. Never stop moving, always be wall running or sliding or grappling. Don’t run from enemy titans, jump up on their back and rip out some batteries.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Captain Beans posted:

why

Cloaking is great for amped hard points or ctf. It lasts a good long while as well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

psyman posted:

This is a copypasta isn’t it?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
This has been said before, but bears repeating. New player? Play the SP campaign. Best FPS single player campaign in a looooong time.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I had a lovely first game in my rounds last night after not playing for a few days. I got bummed but then instead I decided to grapple around like Spider-Man on crack. I just pictured that I’m Spider-Man trying to escape being shot at. Still had a blast!

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

psyman posted:

Nah.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

psyman posted:

Are you that guy that would constantly pop up on Respawn's facebook TF2 posts and basically explain to them in intricate(ly wrong) detail about why Titanfall was a better game than 2? I never thought you were a goon, man.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

psyman posted:

Tell us how you really feel.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I agree with most of your points but Titanfall 2 MP was still great. I think presentation, from the score down to how titans worked was much much better in TF1. There was a sense of scale and storytelling in TF that's almost completely absent from TF2 mp. Rough maps as well. All the best TF2 maps are ported TF1 maps.

Titanfall is cool and good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

psyman posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFvoziKljU0

John DiFool fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 5, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

psyman posted:

go away and shut the gently caress up doofus

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

psyman posted:

Well that’s because the multiplayer was a re

Aren't you, as the saying often goes, supposed to provide a source for this hilariously silly quote

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Not necessarily wrong, there are a lot of aspects in 2 that could have been done better. It maintained some of the most important aspects of the movement while improving it with the slide, so those rough edges don’t slow things down so badly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

psyman posted:

:golfclap:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still think they made Titans too fragile compared to 1, and made Anti-Titan weapons way too strong

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tf2 is a multiplayer action masterpiece and the best feeling FPS of all time. If casual shitwits wanna walk up itt after 3 years and dump bile upon this Indisputable Mecha Conclusion then I will happily stuff my posts into they brains

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's loads of better feeling FPS games but they all came out last century

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In Training posted:

There's loads of better feeling FPS games but they all came out last century

lol

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Picked this up again after not really playing the multiplayer when I first got it due to me having it on PS4. Now I've played like 1000 hours of Apex I'm way better at using a controller for FPS and I was doing alright, getting some murders.

Highlight was blinding a Titan with an arc grenade, wall running around it blasting it with mag grenades, rodeoing it and then destroying it with a fast Titanfall. I felt like an absolute god.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Highlight was blinding a Titan with an arc grenade, wall running around it blasting it with mag grenades, rodeoing it and then destroying it with a fast Titanfall. I felt like an absolute god.

One of my favorite things to do is have your titan set for fast fall, then rodeo an enemy titan when your meter is full and you don't have a titan active. During the jump off animation immediately look at the titan's feet and call your titan. The vast majority of pilots turn in a 180 to kill you, but since they turn in place instead of moving your titan lands on their head.

This is probably basic poo poo, but I always find it hilarious.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, two in a row.

Anyway tip for new players, you can change your network for an immediate happy hour bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Who the gently caress played Titanfall 1 and thought it was "an immersive war experience" lmao