Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Johnson people of colour:

that vid has been deleted from LabourList, facebook, twitter. Now I need to find it and listen.

Jedit posted:

:goonsay:

There's a moderately well known T-shirt that has a picture of a Dalek and the logo "OMG it's R2-D2! I loved him in Star Trek!"

Thanks for explaining it :) :corsair:

Page snipe:

82 is 28 backwards.
In the film 28 Days Later, a mysterious virus wreaks havoc in the United Kingdom, a team of survivors tries to cope with the aftermath of the disaster and find security. This was known as General Election 2019.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
tinge

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Johnson people of colour:

that vid has been deleted from LabourList, facebook, twitter. Now I need to find it and listen.

1:00 - 1:04 here https://twitter.com/MayaGoodfellow/status/1202902195047403520

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
He says colour. He does. This is infuriating.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Necrothatcher posted:

He'd stay PM and people would rules lawyer to no avail.

I actually think he would be done. There would be Tory knives out everywhere with potentially the top job up for grabs.

Sadly I don't think he'll lose his seat but hey ho.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly this version of it (around 1:01-1:04) can go either way https://twitter.com/MayaGoodfellow/status/1202902195047403520

Some real yanny/laurel hours.

Weird, still sounds like 'people of colour' to me, even his mouth seems to be forming a c rather than a t.

I am really tired though, maybe I need another coffee.

Edit: ahahah, the Guardian reported it in their live blog, and then removed the video and posted a C4 apology (i guess people aren't allowed to see it).

Edit again:

https://twitter.com/SOCIALLYCRUSHED/status/1202915396921286656

The sound is more tinny on this one but with my eyes closed I can occasionally hear a mumbled 'talent' in boris' terrible toff accent, about 50% of the time.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 6, 2019

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

CoolCab posted:

also "people of talent" isn't a loving expression

As much as it pains me to say, it is the expression BJ has used before.
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1174016415486996481?s=20
That said, with anything where the sound quality is less than pristine, coupled with his lack of enunciation, who tf knows what he's saying half the time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
People with talent.

Judging Boris' stance on women, I know exactly what he means by "talent".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Person of Talent sounds like something a white person came up with to make white people with Oxbridge degrees sound like a persecuted minority.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

VideoGames posted:

He says colour. He does. This is infuriating.

Yes he does. Someone in the comments is trying to make out he said 'talent' but it's definitely colour.

Ed: downloaded vid and played back slower. It is a bit muffled to be fair. Not quite clear enough to be sure. But at normal speed I am 99.9% sure he said colour.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 6, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Perhaps a hamster posted:

As much as it pains me to say, it is the expression BJ has used before.
https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1174016415486996481?s=20
That said, with anything where the sound quality is less than pristine, coupled with his lack of enunciation, who tf knows what he's saying half the time.

Yeah, I thought it sounded familiar. I might have lovely hearing (actually I know I do) but it just sounds like mush to me

Probably isn't worth pursuing anyway, as someone up thread said a sizeable chunk of voters would find 'people of colour' far preferable anyway

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
He’s reiterated the talent point in his waffle ignoring the leaked documents

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Talent and colour are such different words, how the gently caress is anyone hearing "talent"?

No matter, this whole debacle will be Today's Main Character and everyone in the UK will be determined to hear the video so they can have their opinion, and they'll all hear "colour" because they're not completely hosed in the head

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The most generous explanation is he went to say his stupid "people of talent" phrase but accidentally brain farted and said colour. Freudian Slit, as they say.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm hearing "talent", or maybe at most "carrot", but either way it doesn't matter, it's just the "stuipid woman" thing all over again, people will take what they want from it and move on.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Chapo is good

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

'People of colour' isn't nearly racist enough of a phrase for Johnson to be familiar with, let alone use.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Haha Labour have managed to push journalists to ask actual questions in this press conference.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Desiderata posted:

Weird, till sounds like 'people of colour' to me, even his mouth seems to be forming a c rather than a t.

I am really tired though, maybe I need another coffee.
Here you go

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

It's been deleted now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I only heard colour when it was originally posted but now I can only hear talent. Its like an even shittier version of that dress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tfw when the UUP are citing known IRA commandant Gaeraichma Coibbhan

quote:

The Ulster Unionist party appear to trust Jeremy Corbyn rather than Boris Johnson over the Labour leader’s leaked Treasury document stating that there will be a border down the Irish Sea between Britain and Northern Ireland.

Steve Aiken, the former submarine commander and now UUP chief, said the material Corbyn was given proved that the Brexit withdrawal agreement would have “ruinous consequences for Northern Ireland.”

Johnson has insisted his agreement would not lead to customs checks between Britain and the region. Aiken said the information contained in the leak “comes as no surprise as our analysis of the Withdrawal agreement since it first appeared in December 2017 was this was would be the inevitably grim consequences for Northern Ireland.”

The UUP leader said: “The fact that this identifies that Northern Ireland’s SMEs will be likely to struggle to bear the cost should set alarm bells bringing in all sections of the business community and beyond.”

Aiken claimed that the Boris Johnson Withdrawal Agreement puts the region “on the brink of being torn away from our biggest market (UK) with totally ruinous consequences.”

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

floofyscorp posted:

'People of colour' isn't nearly racist enough of a phrase for Johnson to be familiar with, let alone use.

this is my feeling on this tbh.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I still think he's talking about TnA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's been deleted now.

bah,

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

I only heard colour when it was originally posted but now I can only hear talent. Its like an even shittier version of that dress.

Well i stand corrected, it genuinely is a Laurel/Yanny thing all over again

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guavanaut posted:

Here you go

lmao

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ThomasPaine posted:

Chapo is good

PiP better.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I'm very bored at work today so rather than comment or commentariat let's play 'Name the commentariat tory twat.' This time it's the shook pre-election spectator edition.

quote:

Strange rhomboid orange flowers blossom in front gardens, and glossy pamphlets and flyers from all three parties pour daily through the letterbox. We in the metropolitan liberal elite are friendly to refugees, and one such is the admirable Luciana Berger — who has fled political violence in the Labour party

Sam Leith

quote:

Five of the parties —Labour, Liberal Democrats, Greens, SNP and Plaid Cymru —are essentially the same. They see achieving Remain, growing the state and destroying the Tories as the most important causes. The Brexit party is merely an epiphenomenon of Tory Brexit weakness and is therefore passing into history.

So it is the Conservatives vs the rest, and ‘the rest’includes all the broadcast media. This was particularly apparent in the preposterous Channel 4 News climate change ‘debate’when the absent Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage were replaced by melting ice sculptures. We were left with five leaders vying only over which was the most virtuously, lividly green.

Despite quite often voting for it, I have never much liked the Conservative party, what with its smugness and inertia. But when I see those five leaders wagging their fingers at the British electorate and telling us what bad people we are because we want to be an independent and prosperous country, I find myself quite passionately wanting a Tory victory.

Faced with this chlorinated wash of puritan priggery, I want bad old Boris much more than ever I thought possible.

Throughout the election campaign, BBC Radio 4’s Today is travelling the country, presenting the programme from university premises. This means that the audience and subject matter are automatically skewed against the Conservatives and (much more important) against any plurality of view on anything. Big Uni is probably the largest cartel in modern Britain.

The Labour manifesto says a Labour government will ‘decriminalise abortions’. At present, the criminal sanctions against abortions relate to the maximum number of weeks during which abortions can be performed, the need for two doctors to sign off on an abortion and the need for them to be carried out by qualified practitioners.

Are these restrictions to be removed under Prime Minister Corbyn? Will ‘back-street’abortions be permitted? What about abortions at full term? Might a heavily pregnant woman be free to claim Labour’s new, improved period of maternity leave, give up work just before birth, have an abortion, and then stay away from work, paid, for a year? Anything seems possible.

Charles Moore Christ I might as well have copied the whole article there.

quote:

Despite their consistent poll lead, the Tories are anxious. There is only a week to go and in many seats the race is far too tight for comfort. Because they have no potential partners in a hung parliament, if the Tories win, it will be by the ‘skin of their teeth’, I’m told. ‘There’s quite a lot of nervousness at CCHQ,’ says one cabinet minister sounding decidedly nervous.

Up to now, the Tories have spent little of their campaign budget. Their plan has always been to ‘close hard’, calculating that a particularly large number of voters will make up their minds in the final days of this campaign. The Tories also hope that this last-minute advertising blitz will help counter-act any swing back to Labour.

James Forza

quote:

Such is the deranged certitude in which the his supporters bask, where everything bad about Mr Corbyn has actually been made up by Boris Johnson, or people like me. Even as the first reports of the atrocity were coming in, Corbyn’s Momentum acolytes were all over social media suggesting that it was an establishment plot to scupper Labour’s chances at the election.

Cue lunatics on Twitter talking about Mossad false flags to stop Corbyn winning the general election. Dense and credulous beyond imagining, wrapped up in their conspiracy theories which usually, at the bottom, devolve to Jews — they will still be marching down to the polling booths to support Corbyn

Rod Liddle

quote:

If you were hoping to escape the bilge that’s been pumped out by supposedly neutral organs of the state during this general election campaign —the BBC, schools, the NHS —I don’t recommend going to see a pantomime. Gramsci’s long march through the institutions has finally reached the last redoubt of political incorrectness.

Say goodbye to bum-pinching, boob-squeezing and irreverent, smutty gags about holier-than-thou political figures; say hello to anti-austerity scripts, racially sensitive casting and three-hour lectures on climate change.

You think I’m making it up? Oh no I’m not! A new version of Jack and the Beanstalk at the Lighthouse Theatre in Poole written by former Blue Peter presenter Peter Duncan is being billed as a ‘planet-saving panto’. The heroine is called ‘Greta Thunberg’—Duncan hasn’t even bothered to change her name —and the villain is a giant made out of plastic who works for a gas-guzzling corporation.

Toby Jung

quote:

No use piling on where Prince Andrew is concerned. It’s a sorry business, and he’s not among the brightest either. Back in the summer of 2007, in St Tropez, I had a boatload of guests and we all went to a party given by the Rubin family in their villa.

It was a very gay night, in the old-fashioned meaning of the word. We were joined by a comely seductress from the Far East and the prince with the highest IQ on the planet, Andrew. He was polite but distant, concentrating on his companion. That’s when I told my friend Debbie Bismarck that Andy had no chance. Just watch me, I said. I inched my way up to the babe in question, signalled to her that I needed to tell her something, and when she had excused herself from Andy’s monologue I informed her that the Prince would neither marry nor keep her. But as a producer of Chinese westerns I could employ her forthwith.

She dropped him like the proverbial hot you-know-what. My friends were laughing, although some thought that I had been rude to the Prince. ‘Not at all,’I told them. ‘I know women, and he does not.’

loving Taki

So the usual range from deranged columnist poo poo heads to 'oh no the tories are going to lose - go vote'. And one pro-Corbyn article for 'balance'.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
fuckin mumblemouths

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Here you go

well played

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Here you go

Lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/1202915412565991431

It is "talent" on cleaner audio. Given the poo poo Corbyn gets when misquoted, gently caress him I'm tweeting that he says "colour" all loving day long don't @ me

e:
Laura K ratio update:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
She gets ratioed on every tweet these days.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Jedit posted:

:goonsay:

There's a moderately well known T-shirt that has a picture of a Dalek and the logo "OMG it's R2-D2! I loved him in Star Trek!"

Not moderately well known by me :D

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

tfw when the UUP are citing known IRA commandant Gaeraichma Coibbhan

Diarmaid Ó Corbáin

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Braggart posted:

Not moderately well known by me :D

Christmas present found

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

quote:

The Labour manifesto says a Labour government will ‘decriminalise abortions’. At present, the criminal sanctions against abortions relate to the maximum number of weeks during which abortions can be performed, the need for two doctors to sign off on an abortion and the need for them to be carried out by qualified practitioners.

Are these restrictions to be removed under Prime Minister Corbyn? Will ‘back-street’abortions be permitted? What about abortions at full term? Might a heavily pregnant woman be free to claim Labour’s new, improved period of maternity leave, give up work just before birth, have an abortion, and then stay away from work, paid, for a year? Anything seems possible.
Charles Moore Christ I might as well have copied the whole article there.
No it means that people won't face a maximum of life in prison for 'procuring a miscarriage' outside of the medical system, you disingenuous gently caress.

There's already laws in place outside of, and more recent than, the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 that would prevent a person performing a surgical procedure without a licence, or dispensing a pharmaceutical drug without appropriate certification, this just means that the person seeking a termination wouldn't themselves face a potential life sentence for buying some pills off the internet or performing a menstrual extraction, and potentially in the future that a GP could sign off a medical abortion without needing a special clinic or two medical signatures.

Understanding things is difficult tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
it's not as if the tory talking point of separating migrants into "people of talent" and the undeserving foreign who doesn't have the right degree to get a Real Job isn't bad in itself, though that gets less traction of course