Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

A big flaming stink posted:

it was a failed robbery, there was literally nothing of value in the truck except the hostage driver.

Well, thanks for clearing up my misconception. ....Wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Above everything Trump is a coward. He'll be out of he White House as soon as he can get away with it, probably stealing the furnishings on the way out

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

A general strike held nation wide would work if Trump won't leave office but I don't think there is any will to do it on city, state, or national level so its not really reasonable to talk about it seriously happening.

I agree in principle. However, the world right now is in an age of protests and revolutions. What I see potentially happening are protests all over potentially becoming a national movement, especially if there is violence at those protests visited on them by right wingers.

I don't think that they'll start as anything effective. America just doesn't have the traditions of protesting, or at least those traditions have been largely murdered out of them in the late 1960's and 1970's. However, what you're seeing entering the public consciousness is how civil disobedience actually works, ala Hong Kong. Protest as an effective tool against government and not just marching around and waving signs is entering the public consciousness again.

quote:

Personally I think Trump will make more thinly veiled insinuations of violence if he is voted out and will also publicly state that somehow Dems cheated but won't actually try to stay in office. The guy is a grifter and conman and I'd expect him to try and generate some false drama and conspiracy theories to profit off wingnut welfare rather than seriously keep power.

I think that would have been the move a few years ago, but even if he pardons himself and the supreme court upholds that, which I don't think that they will, he's going to get eaten alive by state charges and could very easily face not only the dismantling of his businesses, but real jail time. Going for wingnut welfare is predicated on different circumstances where powerful institutions aren't going for the throat. Now they are. His fight is going to be life or death for him. He will cling to power and then he will flee when that's no longer tenable, or maybe he'll attempt to flee but it will be too late.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I don't think the GOP is going to dump him. They might throw him under the bus for a second, but the following week will hold him up as a martyr. I am 100% certain he will get the same treatment as Reagan. In a decade we'll get history textbooks talking about how great he was.

By we I don't just mean the US. I'm Polish, and when I was in school our history textbooks pointed out that Reagan was great, and Thatcher was the best and totally singlehandedly saved Britain. The only other UK and US leaders they mention is that Roosevelt existed and Chruchill was good. But Thatcher definitely gets less text but more worship.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’m not gonna quote an IP post out of respect for page length, but I think Trump will absolutely pardon himself and it will get upheld. Really, what about the court makes you think they wouldn’t?

As far as leaving office though, you’re greatly underestimating what a coward this man is. He’ll complain until the end (and past it) but will leave when the writing is on the wall. If he had more time to break our institutions things would be different.

There’s no guarantee Trump loses the EC in the first place though. I think the odds are around 50-50 rn.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 6, 2019

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I agree in principle. However, the world right now is in an age of protests and revolutions. What I see potentially happening are protests all over potentially becoming a national movement, especially if there is violence at those protests visited on them by right wingers.
Its not fresh in anyone's memory anymore but after what happened with the Occupy protestors I just don't think there is any sort of interest or grassroots support for something like a general strike.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think that would have been the move a few years ago, but even if he pardons himself and the supreme court upholds that, which I don't think that they will, he's going to get eaten alive by state charges and could very easily face not only the dismantling of his businesses, but real jail time.
I think that'd be a real motivation he might have to try to keep power but realistically even as demented as he is he'll quickly realize he doesn't have a means to make that motivation reality beyond some tweets or some pressers on Fox or OANN which flat out aren't going to do squat besides rile up a relative handful of psychos to violence but that won't change anything. He'd have to get the GOP establishment and military to back him fully if he loses and I don't think he is going to do be able to do that either.

The GOP are craven political careerists in it solely for themselves and won't back a loser and the military leadership is beyond pissed at Trump. Without them he basically has no real options.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't think the GOP is going to dump him. They might throw him under the bus for a second, but the following week will hold him up as a martyr. I am 100% certain he will get the same treatment as Reagan. In a decade we'll get history textbooks talking about how great he was.
Oh an after the fact deification, or at least an attempt at one, will definitely be a thing. Reagan's mostly held up because even with dementia creeping in he could still act but Trump is really too far gone for it to have any staying power.

Most likely they'll try and memory hole him as much as possible.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

yronic heroism posted:

I’m not gonna quote an IP post out of respect for page length, but I think Trump will absolutely pardon himself and it will get upheld. Really, what about the court makes you think they wouldn’t?

Hard disagree. Roberts wants to protect the supreme court so they can continue moving the political football ever rightwards. Allowing Trump to pardon himself erodes the legitimacy of the court and makes stacking the court more likely.

quote:

As far as leaving office though, you’re greatly underestimating what a coward this man is. He’ll complain until the end (and past it) but will leave when the writing is on the wall. If he had more time to break our institutions things would be different.

Trump's narcissism will cause him to attempt to keep the office rather than admit failure.

I'm not saying he won't leave, but his shitposts are going to get a lot of people killed and injured by chud cultists before he's forced to leave.

quote:

There’s no guarantee Trump loses the EC in the first place though. I think the odds are around 50-50 rn.

I don't think that's possible. Four years of deaths from the silent and baby boomer generations will have eroded his base significantly. He's working with roughly 3-4% less republicans than before. They're in the midst of a demographics collapse and that's going to hurt turnout more than republicans can cheat the system. He's also one of the most hated presidents in history without literally launching us into Great Depression 2 the electric boogaloo. He can't win with his disapproval ratings at present. And when the republicans fail to cough up the votes to impeach him, that's going to cause massive turnout to see not only his rear end gone, but a lot of republican senators and representatives gone. The attack ads write themselves. And that's before the dems start talking about medicare for all, even if most of them don't mean it.

I truly believe that Trump is going to lose. He's no longer the outsider candidate. His base is shrinking, they haven't' received the help they want nor as much violence and cruelty to turn them out to the polls. This will depress turnout for republicans while democrats will turn out in angry droves. Remember that the last election was nearly 9% in favor of democrats in an off year. That just blows the republicans away and this is a presidential year where democrats turn out, so I expect at least a victory of 10 to 11% because Trump is just so heavily despised. The electoral college won't be able to cover for him again. He's going to get absolutely crushed.

Remember that Trump's political instincts are terrible. Whenever he backs a candidate it is almost always a kiss of death. That's actually pretty significant because each loss creates association with loss. And a lot of republicans are genuinely not going to want him on their doorstep because he'll be such a liability to drawing in any independents as he grows crazier and crazier during the election.

What saves Trump's image would be for the man to stroke out or have a heart attack and die. The loss he'll eat will be absolutely embarrassing.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its not fresh in anyone's memory anymore but after what happened with the Occupy protestors I just don't think there is any sort of interest or grassroots support for something like a general strike.

I don't think it's likely. I think it's possible. I think you could genuinely see another massive protest turn into something bigger and longer lasting.

quote:

I think that'd be a real motivation he might have to try to keep power but realistically even as demented as he is he'll quickly realize he doesn't have a means to make that motivation reality beyond some tweets or some pressers on Fox or OANN which flat out aren't going to do squat besides rile up a relative handful of psychos to violence but that won't change anything.

Hard disagree. Trump lives in a media bubble of his own creation. His pollsters are hand picked not because they deliver him accurate information, but pleasing information. He fired absolutely everyone who delivered him reality. Trump is attempting to make reality conform to his tastes and the cardinal sin of the con man is to get roped into your own con. Trump lost control of his con the moment he became president and he's more interested in being viewed as a winner than being a winner and if he can't be a winner he will craft that reality around himself.

quote:

He'd have to get the GOP establishment and military to back him fully if he loses and I don't think he is going to do be able to do that either. The GOP are craven political careerists in it solely for themselves and won't back a loser and the military leadership is beyond pissed at Trump. Without them he basically has no real options.

Here I agree. The establishment ghouls will absolutely abandon him the moment he stops being relevant. If he loses hard they'll distance themselves as far from him as possible lest his loser stink infect them. The military just won't back him as they're still largely an apolitical organization in partisan politics. That's changing, but the taboo is still strong despite Trump attempting to undermine it.

quote:

Oh an after the fact deification, or at least an attempt at one, will definitely be a thing. Reagan's mostly held up because even with dementia creeping in he could still act but Trump is really too far gone for it to have any staying power.

Most likely they'll try and memory hole him as much as possible.

Which is why left wingers really need to drag him as hard as loving possible and keep it up.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Not American so I am kind of confused, isn't that just the American flag?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

A big flaming stink posted:

it was a failed robbery, there was literally nothing of value in the truck except the hostage driver.

Judging by this, if there was something of value in there (apart from actual human lives), they’d send in the National Guard.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Vichan posted:

On the off chance you are not being facetious, I'll explain. That coloration is a variation of the American flag, the 'Thin Blue Line' flag, which has been popular in recent years as a symbol of support for police, and is popular with literally the worst people in the world. It's often found on vehicles alongside III% badges, Punisher skulls, and NRA stickers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vichan posted:

No, it's the dumbass Thin Blue Line flag. This one is a slightly deconstructed version, which just makes it even more unprofessional somehow.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vichan posted:

It's the Punisher's flag.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vichan posted:

I’m not sure if you’re serious but the American flag is red and white stripes (13 total) with 50 white stars overlaid on a blue field in the upper left quadrant.

There also is a similar flag where the stripes and blue field are instead black and white except for a single blue stripe in the middle. It is ostensibly a “blue lives matter” flag emphasizing the “thin blue line” that is often used to describe the police but is in reality much more often used as a white supremacy / right wing dog whistle symbol. This is the flag that is painted on the official police vehicle shown in the tweet.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1202791650726154240
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1202792805753597952

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

On the off chance you are not being facetious,

Stereotype posted:

I’m not sure if you’re serious

Why would a non-American know this?

I bet even the average America couldn't explain what it symbolizes

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

I bet even the average America couldn't explain what it symbolizes

We wave our flag around enough that the rest of the world generally know what it looks like. Don't make us get a bigger flag, we're crazy.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Charlz Guybon posted:

'Isn't that just the American flag?' is a pretty good shitpost.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Above everything Trump is a coward. He'll be out of he White House as soon as he can get away with it, probably stealing the furnishings on the way out

I don’t know, if he realizes he might be going down for some of the horrible poo poo he did (fraud, using the office to enrich himself and about a hundred other things) once he leaves office, and is no longer protected by the idiotic justice reading that a sitting president cannot be charged with anything, and the republican senate no longer can (nor will) protect him, I think his legendary cowardice will turn and make him do literally anything to stay as potus.

It’s kinda moot though, as the Iran war he is planning to start closer to the election, will swing the 5-10% he needs for a second term, once that happens, my guess is that the US is going full fash, with all the new judges, generals, RBG etc.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I don’t know, if he realizes he might be going down for some of the horrible poo poo he did (fraud, using the office to enrich himself and about a hundred other things) once he leaves office, and is no longer protected by the idiotic justice reading that a sitting president cannot be charged with anything, and the republican senate no longer can (nor will) protect him, I think his legendary cowardice will turn and make him do literally anything to stay as potus.

It’s kinda moot though, as the Iran war he is planning to start closer to the election, will swing the 5-10% he needs for a second term, once that happens, my guess is that the US is going full fash, with all the new judges, generals, RBG etc.

The public is war weary. Fascists don't want an external war. They want an internal war with internal purges. Him going to war with Iran will crush his polling numbers, not bolster them.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

The public is war weary. Fascists don't want an external war. They want an internal war with internal purges. Him going to war with Iran will crush his polling numbers, not bolster them.

I guess you’re right. If only there was some recent example, where a president half-heartedly and clumsily manufactured an clear and present danger to the US, so he could attack a country - which despite being almost immediately disproven upwards *checks watch* 60% of Americans still believe is the case and support - I could point to and say; maybe you’re a little too confident there friend. Also, I think you’re underestimating how broadly and deeply the fetishization of the military in general, the personnel, combat action running across the screen, and ‘support R troops’, really runs.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 6, 2019

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

yronic heroism posted:

You are absolutely right. I have a sinking feeling that Trump will beat the odds and win the election. It is going to be a close enough election that the GOP endeavor of voter suppression will have a significant impact. I really hope I have to eat my words but I am thinking about W Bush's reelection. Everyone was so pissed at him for the Iraq war yet he was still able to win. I hope someone can set me straight here.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Go outside and get some fresh air.

Also take a break from politics stuff for a bit.

Also lol no way trump wins in 2020. The Republicans have been getting spanked everywhere since 2016 because of him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I guess you’re right. If only there was some recent example, where a president half-heartedly and clumsily manufactured an clear and present danger to the US, so he could attack a country - which despite being almost immediately disproven upwards *checks watch* 60% of Americans still believe is the case and support - I could point to and say; maybe you’re a little too confident there friend. Also, I think you’re underestimating how broadly and deeply the fetishization of the military in general, the personnel, combat action running across the screen, and ‘support R troops’, really runs.

The example you allude to is precisely why the US is now so war-weary and isolationist

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Numlock posted:

Also lol no way trump wins in 2020. The Republicans have been getting spanked everywhere since 2016 because of him.

he didn't even win 2016 except for one weird trick

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sarcastx posted:

he didn't even win 2016 except for one weird trick

Yes, and that "one weird trick" was "his opponent was Hillary Clinton".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yes, and that "one weird trick" was "his opponent was Hillary Clinton".

The trick is the electoral college because she still won by 3 million votes :ssh:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
That Miramar shooting has me angry. What a preventable loving disaster. I hope there's protests against those cops daily until every one of those involved is brought up on charges and jailed.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

VH4Ever posted:

That Miramar shooting has me angry. What a preventable loving disaster. I hope there's protests against those cops daily until every one of those involved is brought up on charges and jailed.

Narrator: they wouldn't be.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

VH4Ever posted:

Me too - I don't know why this one has me so angry in particular, it's just complete incompetence that shows how the police don't actually care about innocent lives.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Numlock posted:

Go outside and get some fresh air.

Also take a break from politics stuff for a bit.

2015: lol no way Trump gets elected

2017-now: lol no way Trump is allowed to get away with (name just about any horrible thing he's done since taking office.)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

2015: lol no way Trump gets elected

2017-now: lol no way Trump is allowed to get away with (name just about any horrible thing he's done since taking office.)

2018 lol no way GOP keeps the House

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Gorka is really mad about a black bond

quote:

“James Bond is now a woman, and she’s black. Are you ready for it? 007 has gone intersectional. And they’re going to destroy Star Wars as well, we have the statement from J.J. Abrams that Star Wars is going to go LGBTQ. Well, you know, if you couldn’t destroy the franchise already, let’s destroy it a little bit more.

“The last installment of the Star Wars saga would include a member from the trans — is it trans? Let’s just say the alphabet soup community. Today, I think we have the evidence, the final evidence, from impeachment to Hollywood, of how stupid the left has become.” – Sebastian Gorka, on his radio show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"The alphabet soup community"? God, gently caress OFF. :fuckoff:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

COOL CORN posted:

Me too - I don't know why this one has me so angry in particular, it's just complete incompetence that shows how the police don't actually care about innocent lives.

They all think they're cop heroes in some goddamn movie. Every one of them. In reality they're Barney Fife with more bullets to shoot. Fire and jail the goddamn lot of them.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember when it came out that doctors were told they were not allowed to provide flu shots to migrants at the prisons.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BobMooreNews/status/1202658053633519618

https://mobile.twitter.com/ericuman/status/1202667343115169797

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 6, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The man never watched a Bond movie in his life.

Incredible that he's riffing on a 6-mo old story, which was immediately debunked because 007 is a numerical designation and is not equivalent to James Bond

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

canepazzo posted:

2018 lol no way GOP keeps the House

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

VH4Ever posted:

They all think they're cop heroes in some goddamn movie. Every one of them. In reality they're Barney Fife with more bullets to shoot. Fire and jail the goddamn lot of them.

They were using long guns with 5.56 at point blank range, which has enough velocity to go through that first layer of siding on the truck, right on through the other side, and then through the next two cars’ windows.

The more I read about this the madder I get.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Looking forward to a droid using they/them setting off 41 tweet threads from cis male nerds. Borderlands 3 showed us there is serious rant potential there.

Or how a man who flirts with both women and other men is the most unrealistic thing about a universe with telekinesis and FTL-capable starships the size of planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
If (when) Trump loses he will ragetweet and pretend really loudly that reality is unreal in the hope/delusion that it'll somehow make it so.

You know, the same as he always does.