Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Parachute posted:

watch jeremiah johnson and then ravenous immediately after

I am a Jeremiah Johnson fanboy and I absolutely support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I am a Jeremiah Johnson fanboy and I absolutely support this.

Did you know Will Primos of Primos Hunting claims Jeremiah Johnson is the only movie he's ever watched?

True story.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

in the movie Thinner, what did the Gypies even do to the mook guy Joe Montegne hired? To this day I still don't know

Don’t remember if they changed it but in the book all the mooks get garrotted and then shot in the mouth.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Don’t remember if they changed it but in the book all the mooks get garrotted and then shot in the mouth.

in the movie iirc it looked like they pulled his skull out through the bottom of his face, he was all hosed up looking

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any cowboy movies similar to the end of red dead 2 where it's a cowboy on his last legs?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Any cowboy movies similar to the end of red dead 2 where it's a cowboy on his last legs?
Try Unforgiven, The Searchers, Bone Tomahawk, True Grit, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, The Wild Bunch, A Gunfight, Death Rides a Horse, The Lonely Man

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Try Heaven's Gate :)

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Two-fold answer: The Shootist is John Wayne's final film and his character is a famous gunslinger with a terminal illness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I think thematically there's a lot of The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford in Red Dead 1 & 2. A world that's moved on but the main characters refuse to give up their way of life, so they're living on borrowed time and they know it. And in some ways they almost are wondering why death is taking so long and are getting impatient.

It's gotta be Brad Pitt's best performance. It's a multi-layered character that you can't ever really pin down, and he's scary as hell too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet thanks all looking forward to watching these.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

RDR2 is basically just Wild Bunch the Game

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

can someone tell me how we destroy the "top 10" idiocy from youtube. who even watches those, yet they keep coming up when you just want to find a specific clip (turns out i didnt even want a youtube, it was the the naked gun intro generator* i was looking for)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFul4_mL8B4

* btw including gopro in the keywords is inspired

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd like to think a lot of people who watch those just need background noise or were looking for a specific scene. I can't imagine just watching a Top 10 video without a specific reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leavemywife posted:

I'd like to think a lot of people who watch those just need background noise or were looking for a specific scene. I can't imagine just watching a Top 10 video without a specific reason.

exactly. Who is the target audience? I don't understand the flow-tv-but-online mindset at all. They're making videos that are exactly like the weird ~20 min shows that you would frustratedly skip past several times daily back when TVs existed irl

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krankenstyle posted:

exactly. Who is the target audience? I don't understand the flow-tv-but-online mindset at all. They're making videos that are exactly like the weird ~20 min shows that you would frustratedly skip past several times daily back when TVs existed irl

I've always thought that there's just so much stuff on youtube, more being created every single day, and you get on-demand stuff from hundreds of thousands of channels, that it really is the new tv/cable. You just have to prepare for it to skew mostly away from fiction and more towards DIY or documentary stuff.

I've watched a bunch of those top-whatever-I-already-know-about lists and I can't explain why. I don't usually gravitate towards them but I guess sometimes I really do want white noise.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
I usually just lurk this thread, but I had to chime in with Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man, starring Johnny Depp. The Neil Young score is the cherry on top.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I liked Dead Man more rewatching it this year than I did when I loathed it in college, but I still didn't like it. It feels quirky for quirky's sake and is a whole lot more shallow than it thinks it is. It's parody-level pretentious at times, and I like a lot of other Jarmusch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Dead Man is awful, sorry. People shouldn't watch it.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!
Yeah, I should have figured that would be the case.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yikes, lotta wrong posters in here

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Fayez Butts posted:

Yikes, lotta wrong posters in here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Deadman is great, what the gently caress?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why would you watch Deadman when you could watch Ghost Dog, Jarmuusch's samurai gangster movie scored by RZA?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shrecknet posted:

Why would you watch Deadman when you could watch Ghost Dog, Jarmuusch's samurai gangster movie scored by RZA?

Some people watch more than one movie in their life.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why would you want to, when you could just watch Ghost Dog?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve only seen Ghost Dog back in college for an Asian Philosophy class. Probably worth a rewatch.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Ghost Dog's cool, his apartment/pigeon coop is in my old neighborhood

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm still trying to sort out my Jarmusch feelings after watching Paterson two years ago and it making me really angry for some reason.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I want to know more movies that have the fantasy of a happy ending, but then show you that's not how it is.

Movies that prompted this post:
Brazil
25th Hour
La La Land

Recent movie, still airing in cinemas: Bong Joon-ho's Parasite

Since it's directly about endings I put the titles in spoiler tags. Feel free to the same, regardless of how old the movie is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love Westerns and I bounced pretty hard off of Deadman for whatever reason. I think it, and Jarmusch's work in general, just goes too far out of it's way to be quirky and subvert expectations that it feels forced.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I want to know more movies that have the fantasy of a happy ending, but then show you that's not how it is.

The Descent if you're watching the version with the good ending. I mean the same sort of holds true for the bad version but it's pointlessly muddied. It's a good movie, too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait, Indiana Jones was a pedophile??? Ohhh NOO!!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mierenneuker posted:

Bit of a stretch, but The Holy Mountain.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mierenneuker posted:

Movies that prompted this post:
Brazil
25th Hour
La La Land

Recent movie, still airing in cinemas: Bong Joon-ho's Parasite

Since it's directly about endings I put the titles in spoiler tags. Feel free to the same, regardless of how old the movie is.
Old classic: The Graduate
A more recent movie: Upgrade

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve never understood the point of spoilers where you have to click on them to know if you should have clicked on them

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think the ending of the Graduate is still the happiest possible ending for those two. She would have been miserable marrying the frat guy and ended up like her mom

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

david_a posted:

I’ve never understood the point of spoilers where you have to click on them to know if you should have clicked on them

In this case you have some choice in being able to ignore the spoilers if you don't care about the answers to my question. It's not the most elegant solution, but I didn't want to go "PM me your replies".

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Mierenneuker posted:

In this case you have some choice in being able to ignore the spoilers if you don't care about the answers to my question. It's not the most elegant solution, but I didn't want to go "PM me your replies".

You could have said “spoilers for <name of new movie>” and then put the rest of your question in spoiler tags.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

_aaron posted:

You could have said “spoilers for <name of new movie>” and then put the rest of your question in spoiler tags.

Well it's a catch 22 because in this instance just knowing the name of the movie is part of the spoiler. If it was a single detail that's one thing but when the question is "hey what movie does this potentially unexpected thing?" then just knowing the name of the movie under the text can spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I'm going to watch Otto Preminger's Exodus, but my knowledge of history really sucks. I know nothing about the founding of the modern state of Israel or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Will the movie still work if I don't know about any of that stuff or do I need to have at least a passing familiarity with it? What should I read (that is of reasonable length) to give me like a working knowledge of that part of history?