Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's been a while, but didn't the comic have a "Veidt was right" attitude? Maybe I just projected that on to it since I was 15 and thought it would be GOOD to prevent nuclear annihilation of our species
I mean this is a lot of people's take-away of the novel despite the fact that the comic portrays Veidt's actions as pretty definitely wrong in the longterm. It's worth remembering that Veidt's actions aren't about the shortterm stopping of nuclear war. I think it's fair to say that if he wanted to, Adrian could have created some failsafe to avert actual nuclear attacks that wouldn't involve killing millions of lives. The problem is that Adrian wants to create longterm, sustainable peace, and the book is really clear that this is wrongheaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but he created the Cop Exchange Program that brought us Red Scare, so it's impossible to say if he was bad for sure

(I love the scene where Red Scare threatens to tear down the Nixonville "idol" and all the residents clearly don't give a poo poo at all)

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Trieu: What does the clock do? gently caress you, that’s what it does. Now go home and get your glowing blue shine box.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

shouting "YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME" at his dick

:golfclap:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's been a while, but didn't the comic have a "Veidt was right" attitude? Maybe I just projected that on to it since I was 15 and thought it would be GOOD to prevent nuclear annihilation of our species

I think the comic ending with the reporter finding Rorschach's journal at the end contradicts that interpretation. Watchmen isn't anything so simple as Aesop's Fables, so the morality tale isn't as straightforward as "this guy good", its more just meant to make you skeptical and doubt all of these overly simplistic "solutions" like costumed superheroes, which only cause the very problems they fight against.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 6, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gonz posted:

All is well. Everybody stay calm. Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/HaleyWSYX6/status/1202751967342342144

lmao where was the crazy guy with the kickstarter for a ternary computer

like nobody ever thought of that before

just lmao at people taking someone seriously when they say they're working on a "quantum device" and also assuming it must be dangerous. Because... nuclear something something??

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean this is a lot of people's take-away of the novel despite the fact that the comic portrays Veidt's actions as pretty definitely wrong in the longterm. It's worth remembering that Veidt's actions aren't about the shortterm stopping of nuclear war. I think it's fair to say that if he wanted to, Adrian could have created some failsafe to avert actual nuclear attacks that wouldn't involve killing millions of lives. The problem is that Adrian wants to create longterm, sustainable peace, and the book is really clear that this is wrongheaded.

On Reverse-World the story of Watchmen is that Adrian Veidt uses his genius and vast fortune to develop greater humanity and empathy over the course of several decades in Dr Manhattan.

He humbly realizes that this power must be used for good and it’s not about glory or being right. It’s about doing right.

Together, they team up (no man is an island) to remove the capability to exterminate humanity from the USA and USSR, expose Nixon’s many crimes, and use advanced tech to solve many of humanity’s most pressing issues.

Adrian’s real accomplishment is not averting nuclear war in the actual story. It’s defeating Dr Manhattan, something no one else could do. He psychologically destroys him. Funny strategy to prevent a war- eliminate the one being who could actually stop it if he wanted.

“I DID IT!!!!!”

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The story of Tales of the Black Freighter blatantly parallels Veidt's horrible act. The comic doesn't say he's right; characters in it do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

On Reverse-World the story of Watchmen is that Adrian Veidt uses his genius and vast fortune to develop greater humanity and empathy over the course of several decades in Dr Manhattan.

He humbly realizes that this power must be used for good and it’s not about glory or being right. It’s about doing right.

Together, they team up (no man is an island) to remove the capability to exterminate humanity from the USA and USSR, expose Nixon’s many crimes, and use advanced tech to solve many of humanity’s most pressing issues.

Adrian’s real accomplishment is not averting nuclear war in the actual story. It’s defeating Dr Manhattan, something no one else could do. He psychologically destroys him. Funny strategy to prevent a war- eliminate the one being who could actually stop it if he wanted.

“I DID IT!!!!!”

Reverse world Dr. Manhattan is the Michael Clark Duncan from The Green Mile

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Martman posted:

They definitely needed to spend a moment on HJ yelling "WHY BONER NOW??"

You guys didn't do that at home too? This is troubling.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of people have mentioned good points, but one that sticks with me is the ad for the Veidt Method or something along those lines. It's all very Nietzsche ubermensch talk--not Nazi exactly, but very "join the overmen, leave those petty morals behind." Granted, most 15 year olds aren't going to pick up on the implications of that insert, but it's definitely a moment when the comic itself is telling you who this person is, and it's a very...questionable identity. Veidt essentially believes he's on another plane of existence when it comes to morality just because he thinks so goodly and has all the best words. The, "Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair," line (and the fact that Veidt is so arrogant as to self-adopt it) is a really big red flag, too.

Also, circles and cycles are a big visual and literal theme, and the final panel (ketchup staining the smiley face t-shirt) mirroring the first panel of the first issue (blood staining the Comedian's smiley face pin) suggests that any "peace" will just be a phase.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Martman posted:

The story of Tales of the Black Freighter blatantly parallels Veidt's horrible act. The comic doesn't say he's right; characters in it do.
There's also "Nothing ever ends"

There's also the fact that Veidt calls himself Ozymandias. Another example of how futile his acts are and subtle proof that Veidt might not actually be that smart.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wonder how Trieu knew about Manhattan?

She says in ep 7 that Will “put the idea in her head,” so Will was the one who told her. he was probably keeping tabs on Cyclops/7K and they found out first (probably on White Night somehow)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Timeless Appeal posted:

There's also "Nothing ever ends"

There's also the fact that Veidt calls himself Ozymandias. Another example of how futile his acts are and subtle proof that Veidt might not actually be that smart.

I always wondered if he took the name Ozymandias because he thought he was great enough to actually make a permanent Legacy, or if it was an acknowledgement that it's impossible to have a permanent Legacy.

Or if the irony was supposed to be lost on him?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The last 3 eps of this have been really good.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 6, 2019

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

He thinks Ozymandias was Alexander the Great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

He thinks Ozymandias was Alexander the Great.

How's that? He specifically refers to Alexander in the comic so its clear he knows the difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

How's that? He specifically refers to Alexander in the comic so its clear he knows the difference.

Alexander AND Ramses II, who was the one also known as Ozymandius. Alexander the Great just never had a one-word nickname everyone had heard of, really.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

"The bigger the lie, the more they believe."

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I wouldn't want to be around if that elephant ever wakes up.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I was all ready to try some goony poo poo, but man this is superb.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
on that note, I chased this on a wild instinct and it works pretty drat well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoO5lmroFk

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 6, 2019

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys what if Angela is a creation of Dr Manhattan?

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Zaphod42 posted:

That would require Manhattan to willingly create Nostalgia and give it to her, unlikely

I bet she just has some science ray that detects his presence. She didn't know Manhattan was Cal, and seemed to expect Angela to not know about Manhattan. So she only knew vaguely where he was, not who he was. That to me suggests some kind of homing signal or detection science that isn't perfectly accurate.

If that's the case she's gonna be pretty pissed when she realizes he literally came right to her doorstep and she didn't let him in.
I feel like using Angela as bait to draw Cal in might've been a pretty interesting plot device. They could've done some fun stuff with that scenario. But I don't know we're headed here ultimately, so whatever. Either way the big reveal puts a different spin on that scene.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So it's Will that knew about secret Dr. Manhattan not Angela probably right?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

there's almost certainly a non-zero amount of people that read watchmen in the 80s and thought Rorschach's last stand made him the most morally correct protagonist in the comic

and now they are the senator from Oklahoma

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

tin can made man posted:

on that note, I chased this on a wild instinct and it works pretty drat well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoO5lmroFk
Wish I could've seen this before the bots swept it away.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I mean, at least Rorschach has an ethos, dude.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Berke Negri posted:

there's almost certainly a non-zero amount of people that read watchmen in the 80s and thought Rorschach's last stand made him the most morally correct protagonist in the comic

Eh, I don't know if White Supremacists support the idea of inadvertently causing nuclear armageddon, if only because that means white people would die too.

Rorschach was many things, but pretty race neutral in terms of his contempt for humanity. He even was kind enough as to convert his black psychiatrist to his nihilistic philosophy. That's some progressive nihilism right there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

packetmantis posted:

I mean, at least Rorschach has an ethos, dude.

Plus, dude, knot top is not the preferred nomenclature.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

DaveKap posted:

oh lol, that was fast

https://vimeo.com/377794706

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Still works for me, it just shows as unlisted.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

loving superb.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

I keep coming back to the (fictional) cover up of the squid attack by the Redford Government, and the parallel the show's drawing between that and the real historical cover up (or just plain denial) of America's historical massacres, including Black Wallstreet, and what the show's saying about the public recognition in either case. Honestly seems a bit ambivalent.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I keep coming back to the (fictional) cover up of the squid attack by the Redford Government, and the parallel the show's drawing between that and the real historical cover up (or just plain denial) of America's historical massacres, including Black Wallstreet, and what the show's saying about the public recognition in either case. Honestly seems a bit ambivalent.

the white supremacists' conspiracy theory being 100% correct is just one way the show's politics are deeply confused

it's a well-made and entertaining show but I don't think it actually has anything coherent to say about racial injustice or how it should be remedied tbh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just hope the Veidt recording for Redford is some part of a master plan of his to course correct after cynically seeing how the world was still poo poo after the squid. Its existence is the only thing that really doesn't gel with his book characterization to me.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MaoistBanker posted:

!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hbo-watchmen-ratings-1203425067/

HBO needs a draw for the streaming wars, my guess it's now only when, not if, Watchmen gets renewed for a second season. Again, don't know WTF that would even look like. I think the Fargo route would be great. Disparate stories within a cohesive universe.

Could they just go back and adapt the comic as a tv series?

Because this is making it clear that would be 100x better than any movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If the show proves one thing it's that Lindelof cares about crafting a narrative that's relevant to today's politics. While I don't think it would need to change drastically in order to adapt the comic to maintain significant relevance to our current political situation, I do think that it wouldn't be as interesting to Lindelof as going forward in time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Barry Convex posted:

it's a well-made and entertaining show but I don't think it actually has anything coherent to say about racial injustice or how it should be remedied tbh

What do you mean, there's nothing about how it should be remedied? Am I taking crazy pills? Because it seems pretty clear to me that the way to end the white nationalist/supremacy movements is to build a sciencemagic clock that's powered by elephant brains in the heartland, and cloning helps, too. How is everyone not getting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agh this just reminds me how badly Ozymandias was miscast