Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

gently caress yes! I've been wanting such an enquiry for months. I was planning to shout at people to make it happen after the election, if they didn't do it themselves. I am very pleased with this announcement :getin:

Edit: 1986 is my birth year. I'm running out of ideas. Can you lot do some more sniping please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Classic Guido, defending trans..wait what

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Braggart posted:

Trip report from the GP:

I asked if I could be prescribed vitamin D supplements and the doctor said:

"We're moving away from prescribing vitamin D supplements because everyone in Scotland is at risk of vitamin D deficiency in winter."

I replied: "That sounds like the opposite of a sensible response to the issue."

She gave a sympathetic half-nod.

I assured her that I understood that it wasn't her fault (gently caress me, imagine being a healthcare worker and having to put up with the Tories being your bosses!)

It's a good thing I can just about afford to pay for them myself! I hope everyone else can! :tizzy:

it costs £8 on amazon for a year's supply

some people can't afford that I know, but if you are suggesting that everyone is prescribed vit D on the NHS that is a big cost, even without factoring in the amount of GP and pharmacist time that would take

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

A look into the future...

The first memory I have is of sudden blinding white light. It wasn’t that long ago, but I simply can’t recall anything from before then.

I think it woke me up. I was certainly bleary, lying on a hospital bed in a sterile white room. There was a man at a desk with his back turned. I started inching away as quietly as possible.

“Please relax,” he said without turning around. ”You’ve had a rather traumatic experience.”

I stopped. What else could I do? He finally turned to face me.

“We had to operate on you. Please try not to strain yourself. You need time to recover.”

“What kind of operation?” I asked suspiciously.

“A vital one. All will be explained in time. But first, you need to know who you are.”

The man got up and handed me a card with just one symbol on it.

;

“Semicolon? What does that mean?”

“It’s your name. We thought it was about time we told you.”

Nonplussed, I paused for a moment. “What kind of name is that?”

“It’s yours, and it has a great power. We’ve distilled your essence into that symbol. You are no longer the failure you once were. We have taken those memories from you, so that you may be free to achieve your true potential.”

The man suddenly swept into a low bow, startling me, and intoned: “O great and powerful ;, what is your bidding?”

I told him to gently caress off. And he did. Turns out he was serious about following my every command.

I don’t really know what to do with that. I feel like maybe I once did know what it was to lead, but it doesn’t come at all naturally now.

This strange, white-walled facility is filled with people who offer to do my bidding. It’s creepy, but also kind of intoxicating. I am the most powerful person here for reasons I can’t fathom, and they say that soon it will be time to go outside. There’s a terrible enemy out there, they say, in the aftermath of a nuclear war.

“Hang on!” I interrupted. “There’s been a nuclear war? What happened?”

The young girl who had been telling me all this frowned for a moment and then said, “You did it.”

“I… what?!?”

“Yes. You recognised the danger before anyone else, and launched the first strike. But noble as your effort was, it was a tactical error. The war didn’t stop the Enemy, and it denied us use of the surface. This was your failure. But we have improved you now, so you may atone for your mistake when you lead us to final victory.”

“Victory? Against who?”

I jumped as pure hatred flashed across her face.

“The squirrels.”

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jose posted:

What is going on
:psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:flashfap:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only 11/15... It was hard to choose between twat gimp, knobber, and dickwad - they all describe Johnny Mercer perfectly.

BTW has anyone put "Burnsy, Cheeks, Gibbo, Josh, Morty& Ricey" on a t-shirt yet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DUP still not so hot on Jam Lad, unsurprisingly:

quote:

This latest leak from HMT is further demonstration that the prime minister’s deal would be bad for Northern Ireland. The DUP warned the Prime Minister about this. Despite his protestations, the facts are in black and white. That is why we opposed the deal in the House of Commons and why Northern Ireland needs the deal changed.

With polls narrowing in GB, we are urging voters to return a strong team of DUP MPs who will seek a better deal which works for every part of the United Kingdom. We have demonstrated over the last three years that we will stand up and speak up for Northern Ireland to ensure our economy is not decimated by a bad deal.

Jeremy Corbyn is using this as a campaigning tool but no unionist will be tricked by his rhetoric. He has in the past and would in the future work in cahoots with those who want to destroy the union.

Northern Ireland’s best option is to elect a strong team of DUP MPs who will use their influence with the government.

still approve of his leak though

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BetGameCouncil/status/1202938522929381376

Dude who openly mocked a former gambling addict on twitter appointed to a marketing body for gambling.

A good fit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And here's the Europe editor for the Torygraph savaging Johnson over Corbyn's leak today https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1202954135034875908

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect the DUP would back a 2nd ref/labour deal rather than risk the irish sea border even if they refuse everything else.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

oxford_town posted:

some people can't afford that I know, but if you are suggesting that everyone is prescribed vit D on the NHS that is a big cost, even without factoring in the amount of GP and pharmacist time that would take

If it costs an individual £8 a year then it doesn't need to be a big cost. Economies of scale should make it more efficient than an individualist solution, and it would also reach more people. Not everyone knows they should take it. Not everyone cares. Not everyone is willing or able to spend the money. Simply giving it to everyone would lead to far better outcomes than the current situation.

Maybe prescribing it isn't the right solution. Maybe staple foods should be fortified with it, as His Divine Shadow pointed out happens in their country. All I care about is that if everyone needs it, everyone should get it. Removing subsidised access to it because too many people need it is obscene.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only 11/15... It was hard to choose between twat gimp, knobber, and dickwad - they all describe Johnny Mercer perfectly.

BTW has anyone put "Burnsy, Cheeks, Gibbo, Josh, Morty& Ricey" on a t-shirt yet?

I made a lovely capture. It goes great with the picture they chose:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The purpose of inquiries in the UK is to prevent anyone powerful suffering consequences and cover things up

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VideoGames posted:

I made a lovely capture. It goes great with the picture they chose:

thank you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect when john mcdonnel says it he wants to use it to bury the tories.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Tesseraction posted:

And here's the Europe editor for the Torygraph savaging Johnson over Corbyn's leak today https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1202954135034875908

Yeah y'all should read that thread. That's some very good analysis.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

The purpose of inquiries in the UK is to prevent anyone powerful suffering consequences and cover things up

Until now :getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The gist of it is what we already knew from the withdrawal agreement, would be a real shame if no journalists bother to read that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I hate the oval office, but the cordless Dyson which charges on the wall in my kitchen is excellent, the best vacuum I've ever owned by a mile - and I've used multiple members of the Henry clan in various jobs over the years
I got a V8 cordless at a massive discount a couple years back and it's great. Dust hopper is a bit small but it's perfect for going around a small house.

Wouldn't have paid full price but I like it.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Even if it just truth and reconciliations a bunch of upper middle managers it'll be enough to frighten the next lot into not just following orders, much as IDS in the dock would be nice.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Braggart posted:

If it costs an individual £8 a year then it doesn't need to be a big cost. Economies of scale should make it more efficient than an individualist solution, and it would also reach more people. Not everyone knows they should take it. Not everyone cares. Not everyone is willing or able to spend the money. Simply giving it to everyone would lead to far better outcomes than the current situation.

Maybe prescribing it isn't the right solution. Maybe staple foods should be fortified with it, as His Divine Shadow pointed out happens in their country. All I care about is that if everyone needs it, everyone should get it. Removing subsidised access to it because too many people need it is obscene.

you're right, though I think we agree that prescribing it via a GP is an inefficient way of delivering a population-wide intervention; something like Healthy Start may be a better model.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I got a V8 cordless at a massive discount a couple years back and it's great. Dust hopper is a bit small but it's perfect for going around a small house.

Wouldn't have paid full price but I like it.

:same:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Time for some foreign news

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/06/uk/top-british-diplomat-quits-brexit-intl/index.html

quote:

(CNN)A senior British diplomat in the US has quit with a blast at the UK government over Brexit, saying she could no longer "peddle half-truths" on behalf of political leaders she did not "trust."

In a searing resignation letter delivered just over a week before the UK general election, Alexandra Hall Hall, the lead envoy for Brexit in the British Embassy in Washington, said that she had become increasingly dismayed by the demands placed on the British civil service to deliver messages on Brexit which were not "fully honest."

In her resignation letter, addressed to deputy ambassador Michael Tatham and which Hall Hall shared widely with colleagues in the diplomatic service, she said that her departure had nothing to do with being "for or against Brexit, per se," but instead was an expression of frustration about how the policy was being carried out.

Hall Hall, a 33-year veteran of the UK foreign service, and a former ambassador to Georgia, said UK institutions had been undermined and the reputation of British democracy abroad had been imperiled.

"I have been increasingly dismayed by the way in which our political leaders have tried to deliver Brexit, with reluctance to address honestly, even with our own citizens, the challenges and trade-offs which Brexit involves; the use of misleading or disingenuous arguments about the implications of the various options before us; and some behaviour towards our institutions, which, were it happening in another country, we would almost certainly as diplomats have received instructions to register our concern," she wrote in her letter, dated December 3.

Goddamn what a name though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

What's the deal with those shirts anyway? I see them from time to time on various things with various names on them, and always wondered. Because it's always different names it's hard to google.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MatthewWells/status/1202973691933593604

Hall Hall

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^^ basically the difference between having pints in Dublin vs London

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What's the deal with those shirts anyway? I see them from time to time on various things with various names on them, and always wondered. Because it's always different names it's hard to google.

The first one was "John&Paul&George&Ringo". Some design studio put it out in the early 00s and the rest are just riffs on that

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

oxford_town posted:

you're right, though I think we agree that prescribing it via a GP is an inefficient way of delivering a population-wide intervention; something like Healthy Start may be a better model.

Whatever works best. I'm not wedded to a particular method, it just needs to be done.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:^^^^ basically the difference between having pints in Dublin vs London

Have a feeling if I served an Irishman the latter I'd be extracting pieces of glass from my face not long afterwards.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Braggart posted:

Whatever works best. I'm not wedded to a particular method, it just needs to be done.

....although the evidence that routine supplementation is effective is contentious (despite PHE's position that everyone should 'consider' taking it in autumn and winter, and everyone at higher risk of deficiency - including people with dark skin - should 'consider' taking year-round)

edit: that might be paywalled

try this... although it may also be paywalled but here is a useful headline statement:

quote:

Routine vitamin D supplementation does not prolong life, decrease the incidence of cancer or cardiovascular disease, or decrease fracture rates. Screening asymptomatic individuals for vitamin D deficiency and treating those considered to be deficient do not reduce the risk of cancer, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or death in community-dwelling adults, or fractures in persons not at high risk of fractures. Randomized controlled trials of vitamin D supplementation in the treatment of depression, fatigue, osteoarthritis, and chronic pain show no benefit, even in persons with low levels at baseline.

oxford_town fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 6, 2019

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

VideoGames posted:

He says colour. He does. This is infuriating.

I heard calen', which to me sounds like he started saying "colour", changed course partway, and slurred out talent.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Hahaha Blair said he's still voting Labour even though he's in Umunna's constituency. The final cuking.

But daddy I love you! :gonk:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

TheRat posted:

Classic Guido, defending trans..wait what

It's a very libertarian view of trans rights, "don't violate my sovereignty" sort of thing.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

You know, I believe this government when they decry everything that gets leaked as worthless garbage.

They should know - they produced it ;)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

oxford_town posted:

Here's the thing though. Quite a few of us on this thread have testified to how much better vit D makes us feel. Imagine the increase in national productivity if a lot of people, dragging themselves through gloomy days, feeling rotten, had these and felt much better? (Ed: I am well aware the anecdote =/= evidence but it can indicate a direction for research to go in for proper trials).

Things that are really detrimental to day to day living such as blocked ears, tight muscles causing extreme leg and back pain, ingrowing toenails and so forth, and with long waiting lists of 6 months or more (if ever) for ear syringing, physio, chiropody, and which cost something like £40 per session to fix - some one session needed, some maybe 10 or more sessions needed - great for those of us with a credit card, not so great for others - could really enhance quality of everyday life and productivity (defined anyhow) for hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of people and are well worth funding properly on the NHS.
(ed2: this sentence is a bit malformed but I'm sure you get my drift).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 6, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Good response to that:

https://twitter.com/fishplums/status/1202980571640745984

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Not So Fast posted:

It's a very libertarian view of trans rights, "don't violate my sovereignty" sort of thing.
It seems like a lot of trans rights people in the early 00s at least were very libertarian (the ones that weren't outright anarchists), because those were the only folks not being massive weirdos about it (possibly having used up all their massive weirdo energy on taxes being theft and race relations acts being slavery).

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Even if Corbyn wins, Whitehall will be 100% against a labour government, ironically an actual deep state

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

Even if Corbyn wins, Whitehall will be 100% against a labour government, ironically an actual deep state

Uh, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Braggart posted:

The problem with supplementing it into food is it tends to be supplemented into processed shite like breakfast cereal which no one should be eating as a regular start to the day.

It just needs to be free on request from pharmacies or even anywhere you can currently pick up painkillers. It's incredibly hard to OD on, is fat soluble and stocks up in body fat.

Jel Shaker posted:

This is bollocks the civil service has been as cripplingly underfunded as all other public services.

To the point I wouldn't be surprised if it was a civil servant that coughed a lot while sliding photocopies of the Northern Ireland stuff under a table to Big John.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 6, 2019