Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
To be fair, if someone tells you over and over they don't want to do something and you force them to do it anyway, you have only yourself to blame when it all inevitably goes to poo poo. Why would that person have a vested interest in doing a good job? More than likely they'll fail to get out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

He also basically tripped into the job of Speaker in late 2015 after John Boehner got fed up with dealing with what a bunch of crazy dipshits House Republicans has become even then and pulled the ripcord. There were at least two people in line in front of him, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy (who collectively made up the “YOUNG GUNNNNNNZ” with Ryan). But Cantor got primaried in hilarious fashion by an even crazier dude, so he was out of the running. And then McCarthy stepped up to the plate and then did the verbal equivalent of puking and making GBS threads himself at the same time during his “I want to be Speaker” press conference, so he was laughed out of contention.

All this time Paul Ryan kept repeating “I do not want to be Speaker” into any microphone he could get his mouth close to, even though it was becoming increasingly obvious that there was no other viable option other than him because the Class of 2014 House Republicans were a writhing ball of really dumb assholes. So Ryan finally gave in and accepted the position with all the pomp of a lodestone being chained around one’s neck and that whole “Attach the Stone of Shame!” air that surrounded his ascension to the gavel clouded his whole Speakership.

Hence his well-earned reputation as the guy nobody liked or wanted to follow who then did dick all with the largest Republican supermajority in history because nobody liked him or wanted to follow any orders he gave.

that and he wasn't liked before hand. i mean the dudes sole ambition was to gut peoples social security nets plus other stupid horrible poo poo. plus he has no charisma.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

He also basically tripped into the job of Speaker in late 2015 after John Boehner got fed up with dealing with what a bunch of crazy dipshits House Republicans has become even then and pulled the ripcord. There were at least two people in line in front of him, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy (who collectively made up the “YOUNG GUNNNNNNZ” with Ryan). But Cantor got primaried in hilarious fashion by an even crazier dude, so he was out of the running. And then McCarthy stepped up to the plate and then did the verbal equivalent of puking and making GBS threads himself at the same time during his “I want to be Speaker” press conference, so he was laughed out of contention.

All this time Paul Ryan kept repeating “I do not want to be Speaker” into any microphone he could get his mouth close to, even though it was becoming increasingly obvious that there was no other viable option other than him because the Class of 2014 House Republicans were a writhing ball of really dumb assholes. So Ryan finally gave in and accepted the position with all the pomp of a lodestone being chained around one’s neck and that whole “Attach the Stone of Shame!” air that surrounded his ascension to the gavel clouded his whole Speakership.

Hence his well-earned reputation as the guy nobody liked or wanted to follow who then did dick all with the largest Republican supermajority in history because nobody liked him or wanted to follow any orders he gave.

McCarthy was also allegedly in an affair with another Republican representative that is gone now and Ryan also attached a bunch of conditions to accepting the speakership that everyone immediately ignored.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What is that caller "-1" supposed to be in the call record?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Trump's phone number.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

buglord posted:

Alright, I’ll bite. What makes Paul Ryan so uniquely ineffectual?
I also want to add that this is one of those rare cases where the GOP spin just did not land. He was touted as some kind of magic wonderkid policy wonk, got shredded to bits by Biden during the VP debates, and then his wonk-based bills and statements were just terribly shallow.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GOP didn't even try that hard. Paul Ryan only ever had that reputation because centrist bothsiders were desperate for a Republican Wonk to fit their narratives. And since one didn't exist they just pretended that Paul Ryan was that man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I also want to add that this is one of those rare cases where the GOP spin just did not land. He was touted as some kind of magic wonderkid policy wonk, got shredded to bits by Biden during the VP debates, and then his wonk-based bills and statements were just terribly shallow.

this. it was also bad that he was extreamly bad at hiding the dumb bad parts of his ideas. the dude was a super objectivist and was really bad at sugarcoating his toxic bullshit.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Paul Ryan also clearly skips leg day

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

whydirt posted:

Paul Ryan also clearly skips leg day

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

Minus World.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Also Paul Ryan has two first names. Never trust anyone with a two first name name.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also Paul Ryan has two first names. Never trust anyone with a two first name name.

ron paul

benedict arnold

clarence thomas

wow, checks out

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Blurred posted:

ron paul

benedict arnold

clarence thomas

wow, checks out

It really does work, James Earl Ray had three first names. The potential for evil rises exponentially with each name.

Sirhan Sirhan has the same first name, twice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blurred posted:

ron paul

benedict arnold

clarence thomas

wow, checks out

you left out Jim Jordan :v:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Paul Ryan was also really unusually incompetent and unlikable and had never done any work in his life aside from a brief stint driving the weinermobile (I poo poo you not). Then, to explain his huge loving dweeb-energy consultants clearly told him to sell himself as a policy/numbers wonk, except he very definitely knew jackshit about either policy or math so it fell really flat, too. Then, on top of that, the only things he really seemed to care about were loving over the american middle class, who he clearly had zero sympathy for, having, again, never had to work in his life.

dudes a perfect storm of just boring transparent ambition with zero interesting spark. He was the kind of dude who would spice up his life by telling his barber to buzz the sides with a #3 instead of a #2

E: plus the house R caucus then was like 500 jim jordans and matt gaetzs and gohmerts and so on. Even experience driving the weiner mobile doesn't teach you how to drive that clown car

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Paul Ryan was also really unusually incompetent and unlikable and had never done any work in his life aside from a brief stint driving the weinermobile (I poo poo you not). Then, to explain his huge loving dweeb-energy consultants clearly told him to sell himself as a policy/numbers wonk, except he very definitely knew jackshit about either policy or math so it fell really flat, too. Then, on top of that, the only things he really seemed to care about were loving over the american middle class, who he clearly had zero sympathy for, having, again, never had to work in his life.

dudes a perfect storm of just boring transparent ambition with zero interesting spark. He was the kind of dude who would spice up his life by telling his barber to buzz the sides with a #3 instead of a #2

E: plus the house R caucus then was like 500 jim jordans and matt gaetzs and gohmerts and so on. Even experience driving the weiner mobile doesn't teach you how to drive that clown car

great post, i think another point you touch on is that he is too idk "moderate" in weird way. he is too extreme for the average person and transparently lovely BUT he is also way to "liberal" for the tea party assholes who wanted to basicaly burn everything down instead of just privatizing it. added to the fact that he has jack poo poo for charisma.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SchrodingersCat posted:

It really does work, James Earl Ray had three first names. The potential for evil rises exponentially with each name.

Sirhan Sirhan has the same first name, twice.

John Roberts, the biggest threat to the country right now, has arbitrarily many first names since one is an indefinite plural

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that and he wasn't liked before hand. i mean the dudes sole ambition was to gut peoples social security nets plus other stupid horrible poo poo. plus he has no charisma.

My fav Paul Ryan anecdote is when he said he stood around the keg at parties with friends dreaming of destroying the social safety net.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

My fav Paul Ryan anecdote is when he said he stood around the keg at parties with friends dreaming of destroying the social safety net.

All the big "celebrity" conservatives had the most boring lives and ambitions before their careers. It's amazing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I can't imagine the amount of self-loathing he must feel, considering the social safety net is the reason he's not serving hot dogs at an Iowa state fair.

Taking down food stamps won't make us forget you used them, dude.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

John Roberts, the biggest threat to the country right now, has arbitrarily many first names since one is an indefinite plural

holy poo poo

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Counterpoint: John Williams is awesome, and so was Robin Williams. James Avery was the greatest actor of our times.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Angry_Ed posted:

you left out Jim Jordan :v:

Jimmy Carter :v:

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I've always had a particular disdain for Ryan, Like him my father died when I was young and SSI was the difference between too poor to have cool poo poo and too poor to actually loving eat when being raised by a single mom, and that sorry fucker's primary goal was to make sure people who were in that same position ended up in the second category, honestly resigning in disgrace was better than he deserved.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Carter Page. :science:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

SchrodingersCat posted:

Counterpoint: John Williams is awesome, and so was Robin Williams.

Hank Williams, too.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

SchrodingersCat posted:

Counterpoint: John Williams is awesome, and so was Robin Williams. James Avery was the greatest actor of our times.

Ah, but their last names are pluralized, which negates the two first name rule. Nobody names their kid Williams.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hank Williams, too.

Hank Williams, Jr, on the other hand....

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I still cant believe no one bothered to bring up that he was Romney's VP pick so everyone got to know him in 2012 and excoriated him for it

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
James. Earl. Jones.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Retrowave Joe posted:

Ah, but their last names are pluralized, which negates the two first name rule. Nobody names their kid Williams.

Nobody names their kid Roberts, either. We're already through the looking glass.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

?Bob Roberts?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ummel posted:

Hank Williams, Jr, on the other hand....

Hank the Third more than makes up for his old man's horseshit.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
What do Paul Ryan and Hank Williams have to do with the impeachment inquiry?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes, dont trust John Stewart. He is riddled with disease.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Papercut posted:

We'll never know because Shifty Schiff hasn't let them testify!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Papercut posted:

All of Hank's rowdy friends were there on Monday night.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This impeachment hearings have really shown how terrible the media has gotten where whatever side the view is skewed to, is so crazy amplified that it in no way is close to the actual reality of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

vincentpricesboner posted:

This impeachment hearings have really shown how terrible the media has gotten where whatever side the view is skewed to, is so crazy amplified that it in no way is close to the actual reality of the situation.

If you mean they're all right-aligned and are underselling it or flat out ignoring it, then I agree with you.