Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It tends to end up in shite food because the people most at risk of pellagra and rickets aren't the ones eating a balanced diet, so there's still a good argument for fortification (and better diet information).

Fortify all the milk substitutes too.

e: 1987 - UK television networks begin a week of HIV/AIDS public education to dispel widespread myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It tends to end up in shite food because the people most at risk of pellagra and rickets aren't the ones eating a balanced diet, so there's still a good argument for fortification (and better diet information).

Fortify all the milk substitutes too.

I'd be all for a national food service that ensures relevant nutrition is available free at point of use. The "free market" has failed to provide affordable nutritious food and has instead spent decades figuring out how to just about keep us alive and addicted to their poo poo. Shocker.

Biggest problem with current fortification amounts is they're laughably low dose. You'd need to be chugging milk all day every day to get in a week what I get in a single tiny pill. This also means ditching the "fat is bad for you" myth once and for all because a lot of micronutrients are fat soluble. We need to get a serious hold on the amount of omega 6 in our typical UK diet as well.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 6, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
If you want to take vitamin d, you should, there just isn’t much clinical proof showing it does anything. Anyway, if there were a case to be made for it, supplementing it to food would be the right way to go. It’s added to milk, with vitamin A in the us. And flour is supplemented by law in the uk, so it isn’t as if there isn’t a handy local precedent for it. I’d wager a number of milk alternatives are supplemented to boost the nutritional value, so if there was a good reason or demand, vitamin d could just be added to the mix.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rarity posted:

Praxiscast Episode 20: Transforming Ignorance

In a congruent bit of timing today's episode is all about :dksays:! Come join myself, mfcrocker, LastPerson and Sanitary Naptime as we take a look at all things gender including common trans terminology, the specifics of the UK's health treatment for gender dysphoria, how to recognise transphobia, the origins and practices of the UK's TERF movement and the current issues with transphobia in Scotland.

Remember everyone, :justtrans:
I'm skipping a bunch of pages from where it was linked to say that this was a really good episode, everyone involved had smart and interesting stuff to say. I know it wasn't the main focus, but I also hope there will be the occasional further peek over Hadrian's Wall cos James' chat over the state of things there was well worth hearing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I made a lovely capture. It goes great with the picture they chose:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1202969400514625536

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it fit to work?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Is it fit to work?

No, and hopefully Faiza Shaheen will unseat it.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Here's the thing though. Quite a few of us on this thread have testified to how much better vit D makes us feel.

There's no placebo effect with fortification. The act of spending 8 pounds a year on the off chance that it makes you feel better is probably a far greater boost to well being than the actual deficiency (as previously mentioned in this thread, benefits of supplimentation science is flakey).

Take a moment out of your day to care for yourselves, people. Do a little exercise just for the sake of it. Merely trying, objectively, does wonders.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

there just isn’t much clinical proof showing it does anything.

Uh Vitamin D deficiency is a real thing with some pretty lovely effects. We definitely do not get enough via sunlight in most parts of the northern hemisphere, considering actual sun time and skin exposure due to clothing. Sunscreen also means far less Vit D synthesis in summer months. This leaves food which is hit and miss due to low dose and affordability of other natural sources/aversion to eating offal.

https://examine.com/supplements/vitamin-d/

Vitamin D supplementation is likely to fail if you're insulin resistant or maintain a low fat diet because you're not going to be tapping it back out of body fat at any discernable rate in the former or taking it on in the first place in the latter.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Graun live blog has been on fire with the candid photos lately.

Now that's an expression that says "Oh god what have I done with my life".

The little girl has obviously just made a squirrel joke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tesseraction posted:

No, and hopefully Faiza Shaheen will unseat it.

Very good.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
sad to announce that while the Czech Republic does have the dialling code +420, none of its regional codes go up to 69. Yet. I figure we can force in some EU legislation to right this wrong so long as we don't Brexit - another great argument for Remain.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Imagine loving volunteering for the Tories

How racist would you have to be

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
the "kinder, gentler politics" there was that it wasn't a live rat with plague

vvvv good point, posties and associated don't deserve that. please deliver your bioweapons by hand, thank you.

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 6, 2019

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
gently caress IDS and Tory volunteers but I'm not sure sending a decomposing animal through the Royal Mail in a leaking manila envelope is actually that cool.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think you can post live tarantulas. Just a thought

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Laura as ever is in with the insightful analysis that lets you know she's taking things seriously

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1202984208727248896

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TTerrible posted:

gently caress IDS and Tory volunteers but I'm not sure sending a decomposing animal through the Royal Mail in a leaking manila envelope is actually that cool.

yeah should've used one with a plastic lining

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bundy posted:

Uh Vitamin D deficiency is a real thing with some pretty lovely effects. We definitely do not get enough via sunlight in most parts of the northern hemisphere, considering actual sun time and skin exposure due to clothing. Sunscreen also means far less Vit D synthesis in summer months. This leaves food which is hit and miss due to low dose and affordability of other natural sources/aversion to eating offal.

https://examine.com/supplements/vitamin-d/

Vitamin D supplementation is likely to fail if you're insulin resistant or maintain a low fat diet because you're not going to be tapping it back out of body fat at any discernable rate in the former or taking it on in the first place in the latter.

On the last page there’s a good article talking about this, though:

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0215/p254.html

There’s just not a lot of good evidence that supplementation does a lot if you don’t have some kind of acute deficiency that’s been diagnosed. Even for people with low serum levels of vitamin d. This is on top of how many supplements have way, way more vitamin d than you’d ever need. The people who could be most concerned are vegans who don’t go outside, see the sun ever. And I’m not making a joke there, but I suspect this thread / forum probably has a higher incidence of such a group than the standard population.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Regardless of how you feel about IDS you have to feel for a man who finds the body of a relative in such a way.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Continuity RCP posted:

*Gavin Williamson sits up*

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can send tons of live things in the post. A friend of mine runs an insects and invertebrates shop out of her garden shed and routinely sends eldritch horrors via Royal Mail.

I should give her a ring.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Could you fit a squirrel in a package though?

Asking for a friend...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Continuity RCP posted:

You can definitely post live ants.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Agree. I was also going to comment about how many labour canvassers have been actually attacked this cycle, but I did find a news story with a Tory candidate getting slapped earlier this year.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Regardless of how you feel about IDS you have to feel for a man who finds the body of a relative in such a way.

:lol:

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can send tons of live things in the post. A friend of mine runs an insects and invertebrates shop out of her garden shed and routinely sends eldritch horrors via Royal Mail.

I should give her a ring.

In the us, children were mailed in the early days of the system. And I suppose one could say the UK functionally mailed thousands of orphans to Canada. Also, we get fish in the mail for the aquariums....

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

nice paraprosdokian

still think my favourite was the picture of the MAGA father holding a picture of his teenage daughter killed in the Stoneman Douglas Shooting (the mass high school shooting in early 2018), while obviously that picture itself was sad, it was this response:

"Look guys I know we like to joke around here but this is just tragic, you spend nearly 2 decades of your life raising and nurturing someone only to find out they're a crisis actor."

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rats are intelligent and enjoy human company though

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tigey posted:

Asking for a friend...

Yeah but it wouldn't go as a Large Letter unless you squashed it down a bit.

e: a lot, actually

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tigey posted:

Asking for a friend...

Now come on, Jo doesn't deserve to receive a dead squirrel in the post. Send her something that would upset her instead

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Continuity RCP posted:

Rats are intelligent and enjoy human company though

Not all relatives are equal. One could say it's all relative.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Many live squirrels.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

As opposed to labs, which routinely send Aldrich horrors via Royal Mail (and probably shouldn't).

mediaphage posted:

In the us, children were mailed in the early days of the system. And I suppose one could say the UK functionally mailed thousands of orphans to Canada. Also, we get fish in the mail for the aquariums....
And you won't believe what Corbyn's sick Momentum thugs are posting.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Historical precedent with the labour government of the 70s which aimed for transformative leftish changes

While I’m sure there are lots of good people working in the civil service, I can’t imagine that you’d get promoted very high if you weren’t the right kind of person a Tory government would prefer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

And you won't believe what Corbyn's sick Momentum thugs are posting.

Is this a shabbat thing?

It's usually a shabbat thing.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

RockyB posted:

Graun live blog has been on fire with the candid photos lately.

Now that's an expression that says "Oh god what have I done with my life".

The little girl has obviously just made a squirrel joke.

She's pretending to be a rabid squirrel. Swinson is trying to suppress her fight/flight reflex.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is this a shabbat thing?

It's usually a shabbat thing.
It's an ultra Orthodox thing. Although if your Rabbi recommends you climb into a giant plastic bag it's at least worth double checking that they aren't secret Hitler with a beard, because that's bizarre even by Orthodox standards.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Poor Ratty was yet another victim of austerity and this was his final wish :mad:

(No I don't think this was okay. Still funny though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's an ultra Orthodox thing. Although if your Rabbi recommends you climb into a giant plastic bag it's at least worth double checking that they aren't secret Hitler with a beard, because that's bizarre even by Orthodox standards.

What is the reasoning behind flying in a big plastic bag?