Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
"No defined ETA" on PP for Xbox game pass: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-has-been-delayed-on-xbox-game-pass-and-the-microsoft-store/

quote:

"The fact is we dropped the ball," the announcement reads. "We were exceedingly busy getting the game itself ready, and being inexperienced with Game Pass and the Microsoft Store, we simply had not properly prepared the groundwork to get the game released on time on these platforms. Compared to other platforms we’re on these platforms require a number of prerequisites, from Microsoft certification to legal documentation review. While these are now mostly complete, they have given rise to a number of new delays."

Apparently Snapshot Games isn't able to to make all the 'content' available in the Epic Games Store version available in the Microsoft Store version, and it won't launch the game until this is no longer the case. It's not clear what is missing or why, but the additional delays mean that there's now not even a release window.

A :tinfoil: take on this would be for "the problems" to be related to the EGS exclusivity, but given the state the game launched in, what has been said by the devs could probably be taken at face value. The lack of ETA is, of course, a bit worrying.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That Italian Guy posted:

"No defined ETA" on PP for Xbox game pass: https://www.pcgamer.com/phoenix-point-has-been-delayed-on-xbox-game-pass-and-the-microsoft-store/

A :tinfoil: take on this would be for "the problems" to be related to the EGS exclusivity, but given the state the game launched in, what has been said by the devs could probably be taken at face value. The lack of ETA is, of course, a bit worrying.

damnit

also lol them going from "this has nothing to do with us, totally microsofts fault" to "we hosed up"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Communist Thoughts posted:

damnit

also lol them going from "this has nothing to do with us, totally microsofts fault" to "we hosed up"

Eh I mean, they definitely tried to get the best spin for it, but according to Reddit:

quote:

We said we were waiting for certification - which is completely true. We got passed for certification late on the 4th and gave the green light to go live on the store. This is the point where we discovered there were a few things we hadn't got into place correctly to go live on the store.
Still lovely "technically correct" behavior instead of real transparency, but I guess that's to be expected from most devs.

TL;DR: They got certified for the version they submitted, but the version they submitted didn't work :v:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

VolticSurge posted:

WE'LL UNLEASH ALL OUR FORCES WE WON'T CUT THEM ANY SLACK

OH, WE ARE THE VALIANT INFANTRYYYYY

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not to say that the game doesn't have a whole bunch of issues right now but I certainly feel that people who complain about "cover icons lie to me" and "you can't even tell chance to kill an enemy" are completely missing the point.
It's not XCOM: Another One, it's X-Com 2 if anything. A lot of that information isn't abstracted the way it is in XCOM because it aims to be a completely different kind of game.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I've been following this game for a bit because a Factorio streamer I like was super into it and... I guess I admit I didn't really know what XCOM games were after all this time somehow. But I actually love turn based tactical games and was thinking of getting this.

Sounds like maybe down the line this might be worth it, but maybe not as a first go-round, but what would be a good entry point into this series/genre for someone who hasn't played one?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

charity rereg posted:

I've been following this game for a bit because a Factorio streamer I like was super into it and... I guess I admit I didn't really know what XCOM games were after all this time somehow. But I actually love turn based tactical games and was thinking of getting this.

Sounds like maybe down the line this might be worth it, but maybe not as a first go-round, but what would be a good entry point into this series/genre for someone who hasn't played one?

Xcom 2 is the way to go. Maybe without dlc your first few runs.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

charity rereg posted:

If you haven't played new-gen XCOM you really should. They are Good poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

charity rereg posted:

Get XCOM enemy within or XCOM 2 without any of its DLC

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Dancer posted:

If you haven't played new-gen XCOM you really should. They are Good poo poo.
Seriously, just start with 2012's Enemy Unknown and look forward to several hundred hours of your life disappearing into one of the most satisfying game series ever released.

^^^2012's Enemy Unknown + the Enemy Within expansion is also not a bad way to dive in, although it may be overwhelming at first.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
As people have mentioned the DLC makes Xcom 2 much harder but you can launch the game without it so don't worry if the cheapest option is a bundle with the DLC. Just shut it off for the first couple of runs.

Phoenix Point is just more fiddly and less fun at this point. We'll see how it goes after a few patches.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

xcom eu ain't no xcom without Zhang.

Zhang rules. kneel before Zhang.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

upgunned shitpost posted:

xcom eu ain't no xcom without Zhang.

Zhang rules. kneel before Zhang.

Dorn when?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ersatz posted:

Seriously, just start with 2012's Enemy Unknown and look forward to several hundred hours of your life disappearing into one of the most satisfying game series ever released.

^^^2012's Enemy Unknown + the Enemy Within expansion is also not a bad way to dive in, although it may be overwhelming at first.

Game is just a wee bit too bland without expansion. Consider that the phone version isn't even available stand-alone. The expansion experience is just fine for a first-time player (like I was when I got it).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Back Hack posted:

Dorn when?

Phoenix Point: DOORN NO

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

charity rereg posted:

Get Battletech instead of the nu-XCOM. It's extremely similar but cuts some of the worst bullshit. Especially the part where enemies get a free movement, during your turn, if any single one of their vauge "squad" gets so much as a single tile of LOS on it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I play Factorio so there's only so many more hundreds of hours to give :fyadride:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DatonKallandor posted:

Get Battletech instead of the nu-XCOM. It's extremely similar but cuts some of the worst bullshit. Especially the part where enemies get a free movement, during your turn, if any single one of their vauge "squad" gets so much as a single tile of LOS on it.

Get all three, they're all excellent games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I highly recommend starting with XCOM 2012 instead of XCOM 2. In my opinion XCOM 1 was a way better game.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Get all three, they're all excellent games
This is the way to go.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

DatonKallandor posted:

I really like xcom 2 with wotc, but i dunno about its suitability for a first time. I can, however, recommend Battletech with zero qualifications, it's so loving good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I couldn't get into battletech, its so unbelievably slow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dogstile posted:

I couldn't get into battletech, its so unbelievably slow.

You can speed the animations up if you want now but it's a different pace for sure

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DatonKallandor posted:

If this wasn't a thing you would kill all aliens immediately since you activate them out of cover. It is also offset since the aliens do the same thing if they run into you on their turn, instead of shooting you full of holes.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's only necessary because they did some downright idiotic abstraction with unactivated enemies. And even then it's not actually necessary because there's mods that remove it and it plays much better that way.

Also agreed that XCOM 1 is better than XCOM 2. It just has a more satisfying tech curve and story progression.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Peachfart posted:

If this wasn't a thing you would kill all aliens immediately since you activate them out of cover. It is also offset since the aliens do the same thing if they run into you on their turn, instead of shooting you full of holes.

There's a new game+ option to turn on the chance for the aliens to do just that that no one ever activates for obvious reasons

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

aliens getting to move into cover but not attack when spotted is a compromise because it also doesn’t let them attack when they reveal on their turn, so (barring one dumb exception) you can never have an alien you’ve never seen before show up and dome someone on the same turn.

this schrodinger’s alien system is an extremely problematic compromise since it makes good play dependent on gaming sightlines, makes tactics like flanking and melee risky for the wrong reasons, and makes revealing a single tile of LOS on your last move disproportionately dangerous compared to the start of your turn. but its collateral damage aside, it does have a good reason to exist and does largely accomplish what I think they wanted.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I would be completely happy with Xcom2012+DLC plus phoenix point's LOS and shooting mechanics. The think I particularly like in PP is when you over over a square it shows lines to enemies you'll have LoS to if you move.

I don't have xcom 2 yet, it hasn't been cheap enough for me to pick up.

I don't know how folks watch beagle play long war anymore. Every time I tune in its just his parade line of soldiers moving very slowly through a map. Rarely, something goes pear shaped and the way he gets out of it is pretty cool but the play is overall solved and boring. Xcom is interesting to watch when things are out of control.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

charity rereg posted:

Get xcom 2 if you haven’t played it. It’s cheaper and has years worth of extra polish, mods, and content.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Boogalo posted:

I don't know how folks watch beagle play long war anymore. Every time I tune in its just his parade line of soldiers moving very slowly through a map. Rarely, something goes pear shaped and the way he gets out of it is pretty cool but the play is overall solved and boring. Xcom is interesting to watch when things are out of control.

He doesn't really play it anymore - he was on a bit of a kick for a few streams recently but it was the first time in a year or more. His Xcom game is his own cobbled-together XCOM 2 modset Operators Vs Aliens which strips out a lot of your high-end abilities and free actions and tries to focus the game more on tough firefights. The early few streams of that were full of terrible situations going way out of control and were some fun watches, though it too kind of stabilised in the mid-game. I think he's restarting it again shortly after beefing up the aliens.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Watching a stream of the game now, I'm already seeing a couple quality of life features the new XCOM did that this game purposely ignored:

1. You don't auto-loot an area once you pacify an area, anything you don't pick up while enemies are still alive gets left behind.

2. The game doesn't auto-replenish ammo or items once they're used. Which is confusing, everything I've seen so far suggest the game is balanced around auto-replenishment because even manufacturing simple items such as new magazines and grenades is expensive.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imo, a run of Xcom Enemy Unknown, then Enemy Within, then EW impossible, then long war 1 until you get sick of the interesting but ultimately too RNG-dependent mechanics, then Xcom 2 to see those mechanics done well, then WOTC, then modding. Once you’re done that, Phoenix point might be patched!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Back Hack posted:

Watching a stream of the game now, I'm already seeing a couple quality of life features the new XCOM did that this game purposely ignored:

1. You don't auto-loot an area once you pacify an area, anything you don't pick up while enemies are still alive gets left behind.

2. The game doesn't auto-replenish ammo or items once they're used. Which is confusing, everything I've seen so far suggest the game is balanced around auto-replenishment because even manufacturing simple items such as new magazines and grenades is expensive.

I think if there's something that's indicative of how much they didn't look at modern games is: how the hell do you live to see "EVAC ALL" be one of the most endorsed mods for any new XCOM game and not add an EVAC ALL button to your game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VolticSurge posted:

WE'LL UNLEASH ALL OUR FORCES WE WON'T CUT THEM ANY SLACK

THE EDF DEPLOYS!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Helmets are such a mistake. I only realised the other night that when you go to the character screen all your soldiers have pretty varied appearances, and then the helmet goes on for the battle and they all look identical.

PS: as long as I've been negative, I think the problems are a series of poor choices and stylistic blandness that are holding back an interesting concept, and the game has potential to develop through DLC as long as the current problems are addressed and not ignored in favour of adding new things.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
So far I'm enjoying the general flow of this, flying around and scanning stuff without as much of the *a mission needs to happen NOW* that XCOM has.

Combat that doesn't rely on pod management is nice, and your soldiers seem more capable than early game XCOM soldiers. Hitting and getting hit is much easier, especially up close, between many guns firing multiple times and the aiming circle giving you effectively guaranteed hits if you move in.

Free aim is dope. Some melee soldier appeared, so we shot up its legs to hamper it. An alien with a grenade launcher appeared, so I had my sniper shoot its launcher and disable. I really like this feature.

Still love the action point/TU hybrid system. Stepping out, shooting, and stepping back to cover or out of enemy LOS is nice.

Free-firing to destroy cover is great. Nice to not need to waste grenades just to blow away some plywood.

The LOS lines when plotting moves seem to lie a lot, especially with my sniper, which is loving annoying. It draws lines, I move there, and no shots are available to take. Critical bug to fix, IMO.

I think someone posted that the game didn't make it clear enough that you need to aggressively perform area scans and go find poo poo, but that seemed emphasized well enough in the tutorial, and there's basically nothing else to do. I found a second base just by assuming it was important to explore a bunch.

It looks like they mostly removed fuel management from the game (if I recall the last backer build correctly), which is welcome. That poo poo was annoying and just slowed the game down.

I like the little story events. Trying to keep all the factions reasonably happy with me has been a balancing act.

PP has rough edges, some of which are really annoying, but I'm enjoying it. It's not as good as XCOM (If I could choose only one series to play, it'd be XCOM), but it's different enough to be interesting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That Italian Guy posted:

Having trouble making 'content' available? Whatever could they...

upgunned shitpost posted:

so it turns out there are silly hats and chest armours with ascots, which is a great look. but we are not allowed to have the silly hats or fashionable coats... unless you wanna reactivate the console and blindly pump in item id codes 'til you get lucky.

if anyone gets the id for the spiky football helmet or the duster, lemme know.

this game actively hates fun.

...I think I found it. Does Gamepass support microtransactions/DLC?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Absolutely does.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Wow I was checking the DLCs and 3/4 of them look like base stuff that was taken out of the game. One of them is literally "Aerial interception and ufo missions" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, wait... if I kill an enemy human I can only get their equipment if I manage to get someone to loot them in the same round that they died? Does their gun melt in the rain or something?

I also kinda hate the paralysis mechanic for captures. It takes multiple guys with stun guns to paralyze a siren (assuming it just doesn't kill them right away when it attacks back after each attempt). And you better hope you didn't accidentally cause it to bleed and you need to have someone hang out and babysit the loving thing to make sure it doesn't wake up. While all of this is "realistic" it also sucks assholes.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 6, 2019