Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

food court bailiff posted:

Is there any good record sheet builder and/or record sheet app out there?

I copied PTN's from his LP in a google doc.

I don't think there is a record sheet app because at some point they sold you the record sheets, either in a pdf or actual paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Solaris Skunk Werks and MegaMekLab can both print record sheets and include (or can find) almost-complete rolls of canon units ob addition to anything you create.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have the Master Rules. If I'm just playing with friends, that's adequate right? I've never upgraded to Total War or the Mech book.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
If you're just playing with your own group, all using the same rules, then yeah, you won't notice any real gamebreakers other than probably thinking partial cover is kind of dangerous (under the old rules, it is) and swearing at anyone who fields pulse lasers and targeting computers together (broken, under the old rules).

Playing with people who have newer books: depends on what you're fielding. Mechs pretty much stayed the same, but infantry and vehicles and aero all received major changes and there could be some serious incompatibilities.

Here's a changelog from the Master Rules to the new generation of books, if you want to get into fine detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daxfvz5ukut4l2s/Total%20Warfare%20Changes.txt?dl=0

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xotl posted:

If you're just playing with your own group, all using the same rules, then yeah, you won't notice any real gamebreakers other than probably thinking partial cover is kind of dangerous (under the old rules, it is) and swearing at anyone who fields pulse lasers and targeting computers together (broken, under the old rules).

Playing with people who have newer books: depends on what you're fielding. Mechs pretty much stayed the same, but infantry and vehicles and aero all received major changes and there could be some serious incompatibilities.

Here's a changelog from the Master Rules to the new generation of books, if you want to get into fine detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/daxfvz5ukut4l2s/Total%20Warfare%20Changes.txt?dl=0

Neat. So if I actually intended to play more often then upgrading to at least the mech book would probably be advisable, otherwise if it's just the occasional one off, I'm pretty much ok.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yep, exactly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just had to explain that "Permission to photocopy for personal use" means exactly that and yes, it is totally legal to copy these 'mech record sheets for me, even if I am paying you for the service. No, that does not mean you are selling bootleg merchandise.

:psyduck: when did every idiot at officemax start thinking they were lawyers?!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I just had to explain that "Permission to photocopy for personal use" means exactly that and yes, it is totally legal to copy these 'mech record sheets for me, even if I am paying you for the service. No, that does not mean you are selling bootleg merchandise.

:psyduck: when did every idiot at officemax start thinking they were lawyers?!

Because "for personal use" means you can do it yourself, but that same phrase does not authorize them to profit from reproducing copyrighted material. It's the same at Fedex.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

That is wild. I have never had a clerk at a copy shop give even one poo poo about what I was printing out. I have even printed out stuff like the entire Mordheim and Gorkamorka rulebooks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I’ve been copying character sheets from that exact location for years now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anyone got a recommendation for some actual play videos where they don’t get a bunch of rules wrong? I’m wary of play videos for tabletop games at the best of times, but the video game makes it really hard to successfully search for rules questions and stuff.

I’m worried I’m doing heat wrong somehow, but only because it seems to be pretty inconsequential so far?

Also please post some of your sexy giant robot paint jobs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Anyone got a recommendation for some actual play videos where they don’t get a bunch of rules wrong? I’m wary of play videos for tabletop games at the best of times, but the video game makes it really hard to successfully search for rules questions and stuff.

I’m worried I’m doing heat wrong somehow, but only because it seems to be pretty inconsequential so far?

Also please post some of your sexy giant robot paint jobs.

Heat in a nutshell: Keep track of the heat you generate for moving (1 for Walking, 2 for Running, one per hex for jumping with a minimum of 3, and +1 each time you try to stand up), and add up the heat of all the weapons you fire that turn, plus five points each for any engine hits you might have taken. At the end of the turn, compare that to your number of heat sinks (or if you're using Double Heat Sinks, your total heat dissipation, which should be marked in the same general place on the record sheet). If the number is higher than your dissipation, any excess will raise your Heat Gauge. If the number is lower than or equal to your dissipation, you will not gain any additional heat that turn, and if you have extra heat dissipation left over, it will reduce any overflow heat in your Heat Gauge by the same amount.

The only time you actually determine what your heat level is, is during the Heat Phase after all movement and combat is over. A lot of players like to do this during the turn as heat is generated/sunk, and as a result tend to make it confusing as to when heat "really" happens.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Double heat sinks ruined Battletech. Single handedly made the entire heat mechanic half as important, and certainly dumbed down a lot of interesting choices about ballistic vs energy weapons.

3025 all day every day. Inner Sphere for Life.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Double heat sinks is good if you don’t have 8 hours for a single game. Even then, they can still run pretty long in the tooth.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It just never really came up - I was doing a (slightly modified) version of the escape scenario from the GOAC book where a damaged heavy has to cross the entire map and survive a group of (fairly bad) attackers. Even with the heavy taking lots of jumps and firing tons of weapons per turn it rarely got above 5.

I'm also pretty sure I'm missing tons of times when I should have to take a PSR. But eh, I'm learning.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Double heat sinks ruined Battletech. Single handedly made the entire heat mechanic half as important, and certainly dumbed down a lot of interesting choices about ballistic vs energy weapons.

You gotta play War of 3039. You get prototype DHS, and they're an actual choice you have to make. They don't go in the engine and they mix with singles, so it actually presents a fun design decision.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

I don't mind DHS's as the game is faster.

I don't think any one thing "ruined" Battletech, though I would say CGL overall gave it a real good shot!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Horsebanger posted:

I don't mind DHS's as the game is faster.

I don't think any one thing "ruined" Battletech, though I would say CGL overall gave it a real good shot!

If you want the game to go faster you should be thanking the XL engine and forced withdrawal rules, not the DHS. DHS just makes you not have to think as much about shooting and makes engine hits mean less.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battletech cannot be ruined as it is the perfect game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Catalyst can't ruin BattleTech because they didn't do any of the core game design for it. Their RPGs no the other hand come pre-ruined because Catalyst sucks at making their own original things.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If having DHS means you don't have to think about shooting, your mech is severely undergunned. Or you should try using TSM.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

If having DHS means you don't have to think about shooting, your mech is severely undergunned. Or you should try using TSM.

This just in: hellstar "severely undergunned"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

This just in: hellstar "severely undergunned"

The Warhawk Prime is better, primarily in the all-important category of "fun to use" because this is a game and not a three step flowchart with hexmaps underneath.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Headcapping optimization aside 60 damage is kinda on the low end for clan assault mecha.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I agree, the Hellstar is garbage. But it's not undergunned.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd say it is. :shrug: If you spent tonnage > 0 on heatsinks and are incapable of overheating from normal movement and firing all guns, you're oversinked (and by extension, undergunned).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Juliano is the ideally balanced mech. It has a full set of guns for both long and short range, and each group individually uses its entire available dissipation. Perfection.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

If your mech isn't 20% heatsinks can it really be heat efficient? :thunk:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
House rule: my mech has 4 compact class 10 fusion engines in each side torso, granting it an additional -160 heat via their integral double heat sinks for a total tonnage cost of 8 tons. :supaburn:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They'd have to be 250 rating engines to have 10 integrated heat sinks. 10 rating engines have 0 integrated heat sinks (they don't cost tonnage though) so you'd still have to allocate slots for all of those sinks

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Double heat sinks by themselves, nah.

DHS integral in the fusion engine? Now that I somewhat agree with.

That and the fact that they gave the Clans all the cheese weapons with only RP to prevent maximum cheese from your grog friend. Should've given them stuff initially like the Heavy Lasers instead, shorter range, more damage. Would've worked better from a gameplay perspective imo.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If they had developed some sort of points system early on, like a really early version of BV2, it would have worked out. But the fundamental clans weapons are still boring. They're just generically better at everything, resulting in boring tactics. More gimmicky powercreep weapons would have been better for the Clans. Having weapons that are unbelievably strong in an optimal situation but worse than IS weapons when used poorly would have helped sync with the clan rhetoric about the personal skill of each warrior.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the Snubbie might be the ideal clan weapon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What uh...are clans?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

What uh...are clans?

:eyepop:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

What uh...are clans?

Techno-barbarian invaders descended from a legendary hero that led an army into the deep black and vanished.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eugenics enthusiasts designed to appeal to the kids who grew up to be modern Trump voters.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

designed to appeal to the kids who grew up to be modern Trump voters.

Nah, they did that before they added the Clans.

Five factions full of rich inbreds.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

What uh...are clans?

PTN got you covered mate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrxjnEWIuk

tl;dr when the star league collapses its military left for the frontier. There they spent 200 years getting very angry, and after getting to peak anger, they invaded the inner sphere from 3049-3052 when they got blown up by Space AT&T (Comstar)

Tex does a good run down on how it went and why the Clans lost, despite being the best trained warriors, and a 200 year head start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffouI6OA00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

What uh...are clans?

Battletech is neat in that it never had a static timeline the way some other miniature games at the time did/do. Releases in Battletech aren't about adding new factions specifically but about fleshing out an era or introducing a new era altogether. The original Battletech game was set in 3025 around the beginning of the Fourth Succession War. It already had an extensive backstory about how humans colonized space and how the Star League led a golden era but eventually it fell.

One dude said gently caress this noise and took his toys and followers and went into deep space and was never seen again.

The Houses of the Inner Sphere rise and four Succession Wars are fought.

But then the descendants of that one dude came back to reclaim the Inner Sphere in the name of the Star League and now they're crazy space eugenicists with hyper advanced technology based on the old Star League mechs they ran off with.

Those are the Clans.