Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gently caress I forgot about this WWE glitch. It's an old one and probably has been posted but it's a goodie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Testekill posted:

gently caress I forgot about this WWE glitch. It's an old one and probably has been posted but it's a goodie

Definitive proof that video games are art.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

stuffed crust punk posted:

:lol:

Was some secret cache of sonic prototypes unearthed recently? I keep seeing stuff on twitter (tcrf maybe?) about streaming this stuff on twitch but i've been traveling and unable to watch

Someone absconded with a huge trove of Sonic and other Sega games. Betas, pre-release versions, poo poo that keeps gaming historians hard for months. Like you mentioned, TCRF has a pretty good analysis of it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Testekill posted:

I will probably never play or buy any of these games. But the series has brought me an immeasurable amount of pleasure over the years, and am thankful that they are still a gift to those of us who love absurd glitches in gif format. Hopefully they have at least a few more years left in them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I got that Twitter link from Discord, and my reply to it was this video. :v:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Oohh It finally happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCBgfg2O8CE

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Not a glitch exactly, but still fitting. Courtesy of the fine folks playing Tomba over in the LP subforum. One of the voice actors flubs his line and has to try again and they inexplicably keep the take in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hihs_U1ehg&t=1485s

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Sonic 06 has one of those too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMME64yVE4

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's at least one in Oblivion, too. IIRC it includes the VA going "wait, can I try that again?" too.

I do not have a link on hand though.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
There's more than one actually :v:

https://youtu.be/OX8najPmiyc

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Dec 6, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They just didn't care

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd guess that part of that is not having a good workflow for turning the raw recorded voice acting into individual lines. Some tired person is sorting through hundreds of hours of people talking and trying to identify where each line starts and stops without having to listen to the entire thing.

This is 100% cheating since it's for a game I'm actively working on, but I was trying to set up basic AI airplane movement and, uh, made the airplane singularity.

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1202727023702970368

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd guess that part of that is not having a good workflow for turning the raw recorded voice acting into individual lines. Some tired person is sorting through hundreds of hours of people talking and trying to identify where each line starts and stops without having to listen to the entire thing.

Tomba 2 is definitely a treasure trove for low budget acting. Like, you can feel how little they spent on the dubwork with every single line.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Kennel posted:

Copied from the Steam thread. Actually badly thought virtual economy rather than a proper glitch, but fits here nicely:

Video games once again helping prove that Capitalism is horrible.
[/quote]

This is awesome

Edit: I mean like awesome in the sense that you can breed and sell zoo animals and slightly awesome that the economy behaves like it would IRL

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

This is 100% cheating since it's for a game I'm actively working on, but I was trying to set up basic AI airplane movement and, uh, made the airplane singularity.

That's more of a plurality.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Fathis Munk posted:

There's more than one actually :v:

https://youtu.be/OX8najPmiyc

Sounds like they forgot to split some takes for the first ones. The Tomba flub seems like it was too quick for a sleepy engineer to catch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Feature, not a bug.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more planes!

Dead Jedi
Oct 25, 2010
Jedi Fallen Order. I somehow made Bogano jump into Hyperspace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZuJRQ6Gtk

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Nah, that's just what late war US airstrikes looked like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dead Jedi posted:

Jedi Fallen Order. I somehow made Bogano jump into Hyperspace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZuJRQ6Gtk

I would pay $0.99 to unlock this as a mod

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, looking at that skybox, it's probably an improvement.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's going to be the big threat in the new movie after starkiller base failed. Just slap hyperdrive engines on planets and smash them into each other. Cheap, effective, and you don't have to actually pilot your entire base to within firing range

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beartaco posted:

Not a glitch exactly, but still fitting. Courtesy of the fine folks playing Tomba over in the LP subforum. One of the voice actors flubs his line and has to try again and they inexplicably keep the take in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hihs_U1ehg&t=1485s

Is there a clip of this where the dialogue isn't inaudibly quiet? I cannot make out the game audio.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252714680045568

Excellent payoff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

But why didn't they set a breakpoint in npc.position.height > 100 or whatever once they figured out it had to do with fall damage?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's amazing. Like watching someone figure out a murder mystery that might have involved being catapulted by cows popping into existence.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

lol

But why didn't they set a breakpoint in npc.position.height > 100 or whatever once they figured out it had to do with fall damage?

He goes into that in a later tweet. Basically, at this point there are so many interconnections everywhere that you never quite know just what a single change might indirectly affect down the line, so doing anything without knowing 100% why and what for is inviting even more bugs. Chances are there's probably some place somewhere where they legitimately do have to go that high and this would have them phase down into the floor or something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
usually, easy fixes aren't

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And you have to figure out what the problem is before you can fix it.

Patching out the undesired result rather than the cause is how you get Bethesda code.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
Yeah, with stuff like that, all you really know to begin with is that A Behaviour is happening, and that something is causing it, which is not really enough to determine the actual problem. I wouldn't be too surprised if they started searching by literally just breaking if an ally goes too high as you suggested, but that only gets you so far, and you definitely can't write a fix based on that alone. Generally if your fix for the bad behaviour is to make something else happen when that behaviour happens, you're writing a hack, not an actual fix. You've gotta get to the actual root cause, which is tricky without some great evidence like, for example, a character climbing an invisible ladder in the background of a conversation, to tip off that it's a specific interaction or system. Actually getting that evidence depends pretty heavily on how complex the engine and game are, how rare the behaviour is, how good your debugging tools are, etc etc.

Game dev is utterly packed with weird pitfalls, though that example is especially, especially wack. I feel their pain, as I am personally very paranoid about the concept of "pause the game but not everything pauses because you forgot to handle time stopping in some system somewhere" and have gone to great lengths to avoid such a thing happening in my own engine. I had a nightmare about this concept once, feel free to mock me

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/xenon-death-flash-a-free-physics-lesson/

This was also in the replies, it's not a game, but the fact that some Raspberry Pis will crash if you take a flash photo of them with a xenon flash is pretty dang amusing

Also, I bring tidings with my post, I found a small folder full of screenshots from around ~2008-2012 from a bunch of places and put them in an imgur album a little while ago, which I feel like you guys might enjoy

(the last two are mine, the last one is extremely mine)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A breakpoint is a debug tool that stops active threads and yells at you/starts a source/memory debugger at a predetermined point. He was asking why they couldn't set a watch breakpoint on the height variable and see what caused it when they figured out it was fall damage code. He wasn't saying cap the NPC height variable or whatever you might have thought that meant.

Which I think the answer is more because they didn't realize it was fall damage until they had figured it out totally. They had localized it to the player ship because that's where the NPC = dead code could trigger with a game setting turned on that prevents death usually. And then noticed the companion climbing to the moon and had the eureka moment.

E. I reread it and I guess they did have that bunch earlier than the eureka, and you know what they probably did have something like a breakpoint and they just didn't call it out explicit. But you still have to do the ground work to find out how exactly they can get to that height at all.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Dec 13, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love how the companion quest that was failed in the example was titled "Don't Bite the Sun".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252973611237376

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Game development, and especially for games that are trying to be real, reminds me of that Carl Sagan quote: "if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

A breakpoint is a debug tool that stops active threads and yells at you/starts a source/memory debugger at a predetermined point. He was asking why they couldn't set a watch breakpoint on the height variable and see what caused it when they figured out it was fall damage code. He wasn't saying cap the NPC height variable or whatever you might have thought that meant.

Which I think the answer is more because they didn't realize it was fall damage until they had figured it out totally. They had localized it to the player ship because that's where the NPC = dead code could trigger with a game setting turned on that prevents death usually. And then noticed the companion climbing to the moon and had the eureka moment.

E. I reread it and I guess they did have that bunch earlier than the eureka, and you know what they probably did have something like a breakpoint and they just didn't call it out explicit. But you still have to do the ground work to find out how exactly they can get to that height at all.

Yeah I meant breakpoint, not cap lol. For the uninitiated, it allows you to use a debugger to inspect the callstack and see what everything looks like at that point in time. Then you can step through it one by one or change a value or whatever you want.

So if your breakpoint tells you its height is now too high, you check the callstack for which functions were called to cause the height variable to rise, and see that it's npc.interact(FurnitureLadder, climb) or something. It wouldn't tell you why it was climbing, but now you could set a breakpoint on the npc climb function and see when and why that is called and so on, instead of just going "welp idk ship it"

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Dec 13, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Yeah, figuring out that NPCs were falling happened early...but it's not like you can just set the breakpoint and play for awhile, trigger it, then see what's going on. It took very specific circumstances for the bug to happen, which were rare under normal game testing, but not so rare that they never happened when you increased the number of "testers" by several orders of magnitude. Theoretically they could have shipped out a patched version of the game that logged a bunch of information when NPCs exceeded some set height and sent those logs back to HQ, then waited for the logs to come in. That's not exactly a player-friendly way to fix bugs though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh derp, my bad. I know what a breakpoint is, but for some reason I still took your post to mean artificially limiting how high up NPCs can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Has anyone posted the latest Fallout 76 bugs, because lol that reloading your gun makes you lose over a hundred points of armor value.