Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Big Taint posted:

Dude this is the all-goat season.

Lmao i was just about to post this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Groupthink is ugly as gently caress and it's so easy to fall into. I wish more Survivors were aware of it and could just admit that's what happened. Like "yeah, we all just kept piling onto her and got caught in a vicious feedback loop of reinforcing each other's confirmation bias. We couldn't see in the moment how lovely we were being, but watching it back, yeah we were kind of awful." I feel like that at the very least would carry a lesson about how easy it is to fall into that trap.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's Karishma so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but oof, it certainly doesn't sound like a nice time out there.
I believe her 100% because we saw tons of evidence of it on the show. We saw them insulting her directly to her face like with Noura last night. We saw them talk down to her and yell at her like Missy and insult her in Tribal. We saw some other players comment about how badly players were treating her and how they thought they could pull her over just by being decent to her. Whatever you think of her (and I think she comes off like a perfectly decent person who was emotionally overwhelmed by the situation) I don't think there's any question that she was "bullied" out there. As another poster said earlier in the season we've seen fullblown psychopaths and assholes treated with much more civility and tact. This was a cast of assholes looking for people to push out and Karishima was the easy target all season.

And yeah, I'd have a lot more sympathy for this cast if they were out there saying "its terrible to watch back and I'm embarrassed by my behavior and owe X an apology." But the fact that they're all in hiding and skipping what we thought was mandatory exit press that pretty much every Survivor has done forever just makes them look so much worse to me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 6, 2019

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, I'd have a lot more sympathy for this cast if they were out there saying "its terrible to watch back and I'm embarrassed by my behavior and owe X an apology." But the fact that they're all in hiding and skipping what we thought was mandatory exit press that pretty much every Survivor has done forever just makes them look so much worse to me.

Yeah. It was really telling, to me, how utterly silent Elizabeth's and Missy's Twitters were immediately preceding and following that episode (and in Elizabeth's case ever since), until their their requisite "apology" statements. They knew full well how this poo poo was going to be portrayed to the general public, probably as a result of their time on Ponderosa and at the FTC, and they accordingly kept their heads down. It's not leaving me with a lot of confidence that everything between the players was smoothed over in the end and it's all just water under the bridge now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Reminder that Aaron 'Mansplaining' Meredith is the best character to walk away from that hot mess.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's some irony in that Noura was dragging Karishma across the sand at the swap, but let's not pretend that she's not only swimming because Dan is dragging her.

Man, Dan is the worst.
Yeah it seemed clear to me that Noura wasn't trying to swim but rather Dan just kept running, pulled her down, and was dragging her.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This season would at least be a fun mess if loving Dan wasn't there. Everything surrounding Dan just demonstrates more and more that the show had no idea how badly they stepped in it with this whole situation and by the time they knew, it was too late to change anything.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

For the "Dan wins" theorizers: on one of the recent RHAPs (maybe the live KIA?) a listener floated the idea that Dan might not be in attendance at the reunion and Rob responded with a kind of dark knowingness, "Oh, I think he will be..." Might just be because he's pegging Dan as a finalist goat though, or knows Survivor is going to want Dan there to demolish or will withhold his payment.

Listened to Karishma's exit interview with Rob and she was great. Seemed like a nice, fun, upbeat person. I did originally get the feeling on the show that all the women considered her one of them and then she isolated herself by calling them a sorority, saying she didn't fit in, etc., but yeah maybe everyone else just sucked who knows

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 6, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If Dan wins, which I am skeptical about since I think Rob, Sandra, or Chris will suddenly be thrust into the game at the finals and win -- but if Dan wins, I hope he only shows up to grab his check but otherwise isnt spoken to or heard from.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Three months ago I was terrified that rob or Sandra would be put in the game and now it’s the only thing I want

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like Elizabeth didn't do any exit press, because Karishma's is out:

"I will say this: I feel I was absolutely ostracized out there to a certain extent, and bullying can come in various degrees. So I did feel bullied. I do have to take a side note and say that I have come to know many of these cast members outside of the game and have formed genuine friendships with them. They are just incredible, loving, warm people who I don’t think encompass any of the qualities that a bully would. But in the game, it started off more subtly with little things like when I hurt myself and I didn’t feel any of the compassion that I would normally expect. Maybe that was wrong of me to expect that in a cutthroat game like Survivor. But that felt like bullying to me.

That felt like a group of people coming together to put somebody else down or make somebody else feel bad. And then little by little it would escalate. And after the merge, it just took on another life in and of itself. And that’s what I think a lot of other castmates agree that it turned into this whole concept where maybe insulting Karishma outright was just the norm. And it got pretty crazy when you think about it at the end the game. It’s funny, nobody really identified it as crazy. I’ll give you an example: There was a scene from the water well with Tommy, Noura, and Lauren, and I said something that seems to viewers out of the blue, but it wasn’t out of the blue where I was like, “Are you trying to get me thrown out of the game?”

Well, what viewers didn’t see was that for a while before then, I had heard people say, “I hope she gets medevaced.” Or “Gosh, is there a way to get her medevaced,” like literally within earshot shot of me! To me, that’s bullying. That has a purpose of hurting me. That has the purpose of putting someone down. And then you just saw in the last episode where it’s just like nonchalant, there’s just really cruel things being said about me that I think in the real world, these people would never… I mean, they’re wonderful people who would never say it — but in the game, it was happening. And it just gives credence to the whole concept of group-think and mob mentality where one person has a negative sentiment and a second person has it, it gives it credence."

It's Karishma so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but oof, it certainly doesn't sound like a nice time out there.

That said, she did confirm that she and Missy had an alliance, but then Missy was Missy and came down too harsh for it to be fun.

Paragraphs explaining casual bullying and mob mentality after we literally watched it happening all season.

"It's Karishma so I'm taking it with a grain of salt."

:thunk:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well obviously, sometimes it's the victim's fault they think they are being bullied.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

For the "Dan wins" theorizers: on one of the recent RHAPs (maybe the live KIA?) a listener floated the idea that Dan might not be in attendance at the reunion and Rob responded with a kind of dark knowingness, "Oh, I think he will be..." Might just be because he's pegging Dan as a finalist goat though, or knows Survivor is going to want Dan there to demolish or will withhold his payment.
I think that's just Rob's pet theory. He thinks they might be hiding him in the narrative and keeping the cast away from exit press because Dan won and they're worried someone will voice and they just kind of want to bury it. But Rob's theories don't seem to have a ton of inside info. Karishima and Jamal have done exit press and its been revealed/claimed the players themselves have always had a choice. And Rob's theory was that Dan and Elaine were real close (and the narrative was hiding Elaine a bit so we didn't dislike her for it) and that got blown up this week. So I think he's just speculating/dreading like anyone else.

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

And Rob's theory was that Dan and Elaine were real close (and the narrative was hiding Elaine a bit so we didn't dislike her for it)

This is interesting to hear. I soured on Elaine when I saw how readily she took part in the "Aw, Poor Dan"-powwow after the Kellee vote and, if I remember correctly, also joined in on ragging on Kellee with the others.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Man, the way Karishma goes out of her way to say she thinks that all the people who were bullying her are genuinely good people, and attributes it to island groupthink and mob mentality just goes to show that she is a very generous and kind person. She's immediately offering them all an out, and an easy way to apologise with "You're right, that's not me, I got caught up, etc etc."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, she comes off really great in that exit interview. Obviously really forgiving and has moved past it, isn't attacking anyone by name, and is offering all the room in the world for people to publicly say "I'm sorry." It makes it all the more glaring that the people who owe that apology are in hiding.

And I had a good laugh at "Thanks for having me, Stephen." It turns out Karishima is funny when she's not being bullied and made an emotional mess.

Beantown posted:

This is interesting to hear. I soured on Elaine when I saw how readily she took part in the "Aw, Poor Dan"-powwow after the Kellee vote and, if I remember correctly, also joined in on ragging on Kellee with the others.

I don't really remember he ragging on Kellee but she definitely told Dan she had his back and she was comfortable with him. Now we don't really know what Elaine knew about everything that was happening with Dan, Kellee, Missy/Elizabeth, and Janet so its hard to figure out how she fits into that mess. Its possible she was ignorant to what was happening like the guys say they were.

But Rob's theory was basically that Elaine and Dan were super close and Elaine getting less tv time the last few weeks was because the editors didn't want us associating her with him or getting poisoned like others. But it was mostly just speculation on his part and the fact that Dan said they should vote out Elaine this week would seem to undermine the theory a bit. Elaine still could have been loyal to Dan I guess, but its definitely not as tight as Rob was theorizing.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Dan loving sucks. This season would suck without him but holy poo poo does it suck with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm just waiting for that moment when we all realize how the reunion show is gonna be hella awkward and lovely no matter how it goes. Either they ignore the bad poo poo and its weird and gross. Or the confront the bad poo poo and Dan, Missy, Elizabeth, etc are weird and gross. Or they let Kellee, Jamal, Karishima, whoever speak and its kind of weird and gross that they're put in that position. Just weird and gross.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Let's hope they just replace it with a half-hour performance from Sia

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just waiting for that moment when we all realize how the reunion show is gonna be hella awkward and lovely no matter how it goes. Either they ignore the bad poo poo and its weird and gross. Or the confront the bad poo poo and Dan, Missy, Elizabeth, etc are weird and gross. Or they let Kellee, Jamal, Karishima, whoever speak and it's kind of weird and gross that they're put in that position. Just weird and gross.

I really can't see any possible way for it to go well. It's already always super rushed, everyone has to talk as fast as possible to fit in before getting cut off, and they've only been feeling faster over time. Unpacking the stuff is going to feel really weird. A bunch of serious stuff to say rushed out on a program that's also supposed to be a big promo for the next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reunion stuff is just short with most of it being hyping up next season more than anything. Between "seriously examine and unpack the events, productions response, and how it's actually been part of many seasons since the beginning" or "[/spoiler]omg s40 looks who is back, people you actually liked![/spoiler]"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

I'm just waiting for that moment when we all realize how the reunion show is gonna be hella awkward and lovely no matter how it goes. Either they ignore the bad poo poo and its weird and gross. Or the confront the bad poo poo and Dan, Missy, Elizabeth, etc are weird and gross. Or they let Kellee, Jamal, Karishima, whoever speak and its kind of weird and gross that they're put in that position. Just weird and gross.

Maybe they can just extend the episode section of the finale an extra 10-20 minutes (Thus like 30 minutes with commercials), then just reveal the winner (probably Dan) and then do a super long 10 minute season 40 preview.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I imagine that’s what they’ll do.

Like season 30 finale.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, yeah. I think its a question of whether they address it or ignore it. And if they choose to ignore it they'll probably just intentionally overrun and ignore the reunion as best they can.

But ignoring it will feel sleazy all on its own. Especially with all those people being cowards and hiding from addressing it and with Kellee having to sit silent while Dan made himself a victim and attacked her.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They’ve already ignored it. Every episode since. And they’ve been giving Dan visibility.

They’ve ignored the vast majority players during reunions before on seasons where a contestant didn’t repeatedly sexually assault his castmates despite being asked to stop.

They’re going to speed through the reunion and hope hype for 40 is enough to sweep this season away.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's a difference in ignoring it when the parties are absent/removed and ignoring it when everyone is collected and you're supposed to be doing a retroactive.

But I'm not disagreeing that they might just ignore it and rush through to S40. I just think it will be the disgusting, rotting cherry on the season any way they play it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be a Dan apology gush which will include the phrase "not who I am" and pats on the back from a bunch of gormless goobers that buy his faux sincerity

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As someone from an Indian background, I feel like I know dozens of Karishmas, and ultimately I feel she brought a lot of the problems she faced on herself. She isolated herself because she didn’t identify with anyone around her, and there was no one going out of their way to include her in the group. It happens a lot with people who come from insular backgrounds - they are skeptical of anything different, which makes everyone around them reject them and they end up as an outcast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really get what it is about Karishima that makes so many fans unwilling to accept that she was bullied when we saw it on the show, it matches what she says, other survivors acknowledged it, and the people in question did plenty of other lovely things. She might have been introverted or emotionally fragile or whatever but none of that made people like Missy and Noura treat her like poo poo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't really get what it is about Karishima that makes so many fans unwilling to accept that she was bullied when we saw it on the show, it matches what she says, other survivors acknowledged it, and the people in question did plenty of other lovely things. She might have been introverted or emotionally fragile or whatever but none of that made people like Missy and Noura treat her like poo poo.

It's because she's an annoying weenie

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

when I catch up on a day of lots of posts sometimes I forget this isn't the wwe thread

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

when I catch up on a day of lots of posts sometimes I forget this isn't the wwe thread

Be a Star, Missy.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
When does Australian Survivor All Stars start?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lone Goat posted:

It's because she's an annoying weenie

Yeah, I mean this seems pretty obvious to me.

The way I see it, the 'in group' / 'out group' dynamic is at the core of Survivor gameplay and also the way that bullying works so uhhhh if you can't stand the heat stay off the island.

But i also just have very little time for anyone over the age of 15 complaining about being bullied. They were assholes and treated her like poo poo, but nobody stole her lunch or gave her swirlies in the ocean. Grow up.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The core of survivor gameplay is to vote people out while getting them to like you enough to give you a million dollars. Way to miss the point in order to justify bullying

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

STAC Goat posted:

Karishma got bullied after making herself an outcast. That doesn’t excuse the actions of Missy and co., but it lessens sympathy towards her. She made herself an outsider, got treated like an outsider, then wallowed in self-pity about being the outsider and made very weak attempts to try to get back in with anyone.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Yeah, I mean this seems pretty obvious to me.

The way I see it, the 'in group' / 'out group' dynamic is at the core of Survivor gameplay and also the way that bullying works so uhhhh if you can't stand the heat stay off the island.

But i also just have very little time for anyone over the age of 15 complaining about being bullied. They were assholes and treated her like poo poo, but nobody stole her lunch or gave her swirlies in the ocean. Grow up.

This is a lovely way to view the world

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Sounds like everyone is bad here.

People shouldn't bully people. Karishma also walled herself off. It was a self-cycle where she believed that she was going to be isolated and left out, so she did it to herself.

Reminds me of... Nina from Worlds Apart, who was deaf, and complained that Jenn and Hali wouldn't invite her to skinny dip or something. Not that she would have, she just wanted to be asked because she didn't fit in.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Karishma rules and was treated unfairly, but even if that weren't true the players really ought to treat each other with some level of decency. It's easy to say "they're jerks, ignore them!" in everyday life when you can more easily walk away and go home and spend time with loved ones, it's a lot harder to let that stuff roll of your back when you're literally stuck with those people and only those people for over a month (over 3 months on Big Brother!).

Also with regards to why it seems like no one is playing well and no one has really made any moves: because the horrible Dan stuff took up most of the first two episodes, we missed out on a ton of strategy that shaped the post-merge and now none of it makes sense and everything feels like random dumb moves. We still have no real idea (1) why Tommy/Lauren/Dan stuck with the post-swap tribe for the first 2 votes instead of the original tribe (especially given how heated their one post-swap Tribal was!), (2) why Dean was the only one who flipped on his post-swap tribe those first 2 votes (including casually abandoning Kellee who seemed like his only real ally the entire game), (3) how and why original Vokai came back together and why Janet and Noura seem to think it's good in the longterm to stay with them. There's also seems to be a general inconsistency episode-to-episode about which original Lairo are working with the original Vokai and why (Elaine and Dean seemed semi-solidly in with them until this episode when they suddenly weren't, Karishma worked with Elaine to help them but then was working with Elizabeth who she voted against the next episode, etc.). It's easy to write this all off as "what dumb players, none of it makes sense!!" but someone at some point is making some decisions about these moves and we're just seeing who's doing it and what their reasoning is.

It's easy to write off Dean as an idiot (I personally think he is too!) but it's tough to say because the show is just not showing us why he did what he did, where he thinks he stands in either group, and what his longterm plans are. He casually mentioned having an alliance with Dan and Tommy in a confessional this week and who the heck knows if that's a real Final 3 all three of them agreed to or if it's just Dean's delusions or somewhere in between.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sounds like everyone is bad here.

People shouldn't bully people. Karishma also walled herself off. It was a self-cycle where she believed that she was going to be isolated and left out, so she did it to herself.

Reminds me of... Nina from Worlds Apart, who was deaf, and complained that Jenn and Hali wouldn't invite her to skinny dip or something. Not that she would have, she just wanted to be asked because she didn't fit in.

Seconding.

Also adding that Karishma didn't really seem to try to be a player until later on. She mostly just claimed victim or talked about how she was alone or played weak (e.g. her automatic reaction when being called out for being gone so long hunting for an idol... Was to play sick/weak. That was her go-to response. I don't understand how that would be someone's automatic defense) and people on survivor don't hold much sympathy for the sick/weak since it's seen as a liability.

Karishma's ponderosa was what made me see her as someone other than frail/fragile/mopey, which was a nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AWarmBody posted:

She mostly just claimed victim

Thoughts like this are just so gross.

Between people bullying vs someone who has a hard time ingratiating themselves with their bullies... there's no "Well BOTH SIDES" here. One side is objectively awful and the other is a bummer of a situation but understandable. Stop victim blaming or playing the "both sides" game.