Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Galler posted:

I don't have any experience with keyless entry and push button start but I've encountered two situations where I think I would appreciate it. In the winter I wouldn't have to take off a glove to get my keys out of my pocket. The other is when I forget something in the house after I've started my car and then have to turn the car back off to get my keys back to open the door.

Obviously neither of those are particularly compelling but it would be an improvement.

I usually keep the car key in a coat pocket in the winter, so the first one doesn't really matter for me. I can fish it out with or without a glove. As for the second, I keep car keys separate from my house keys since we have more than one car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I keep my keys on a carabiner for exactly that use case.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son got me with the old tape around the sink sprayer trick this morning.

Luckily it was before he went to school so I was able to pour a glass of cold water down his back while he was putting his shoes on :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Its not like many other gaping maw 2010's cars are any better mind.
Uunfortunately, everyone wants the Chinese market, and they have this full-on I LIKE BIG GRILLES AND I CANNOT LIE thing going on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son got me with the old tape around the sink sprayer trick this morning.

Luckily it was before he went to school so I was able to pour a glass of cold water down his back while he was putting his shoes on :v:

This is fantastic. My one year old steals my (room temp) coffee and pours it on herself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I keep my keys on a carabiner for exactly that use case.

This.
I found a Nite Ize product that's perfect, and actually designed for that. It's a carabiner with a slot, and a bunch of little versions of their "S-biners" for the keys:
https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack.asp

The one I got even has a bottle opener built in:
https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack-Plus.asp

You can get them with all-steel S-biners, too. The first one I got had those, so I have a mix of steel and plastic ones. Very occasionally the keys will press against the clips just right to release one, but I usually hang it on a front belt loop and tuck the keys into my pocket, so not usually a big issue. On the original one I bought years ago, the actual spring clip (the movable part) on the big part broke from fatigue. This was after probably 3-5 years of use, so I just bought another one, hence the mix of S-biner types. The also make a variant with a locking mechanism on the S-biners to prevent the issue I mentioned above.
I also have one of their "Doohickey" key tools. Reasonably handy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I found a Nite Ize product that's perfect, and actually designed for that. It's a carabiner with a slot, and a bunch of little versions of their "S-biners" for the keys:
... Very occasionally the keys will press against the clips just right to release one, ... The also make a variant with a locking mechanism on the S-biners to prevent the issue I mentioned above.I also have one of their "Doohickey" key tools. Reasonably handy.
I had exactly this issue and found exactly the same solution - the locking ones are really nice. I've got the Gerber Shard which I liked the design of a little better, but the Doohickey is cool too.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is fantastic. My one year old steals my (room temp) coffee and pours it on herself.
This sounds like one of the many things that kids do that are really cute until you realize she doesn't actually know the difference between hot and cold coffee. (Not trying to attack your parenting, this is just the kind of thing I worry about with my kid.)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Raluek posted:

could this be because the wagon is the E91 :shobon:

To be faaaiiiirr, I wasn't sure so I googled E90 wagon and there were a bunch of pictures so I didn't look any harder than that! I always get them confused :saddowns:

Darchangel posted:

This.

Our high school shop/autos teacher had something like this with probably 70 un-labeled keys on it, it was basically just a wad of metal hanging from his belt loop at all times and probably loving up his spine in the process. One time I asked him if he even knew what half of them were for, and he took them off his loop and started flipping through them, "This one's for room A, this one's for room B, black cabinet in room A, grey cabinet in room A, tool chest 1 in the shop, tool chest 2 in the shop....."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New hires are announced at work via the intranet the Thursday before they start (usually Monday). They hired a dude who's a former customer of mine and a full on Incel.

OH BOY HE'S IN MY BUILDING TOO

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

New hires are announced at work via the intranet the Thursday before they start (usually Monday). They hired a dude who's a former customer of mine and a full on Incel.

OH BOY HE'S IN MY BUILDING TOO

Just think, you could be his manager!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My problem with detachable keychains or a carabiner is...

I can't find the full set of keys half the time - I'm on an anti-anxiety med that isn't so great for my memory, which was terrible to begin with. How the gently caress am I gonna find both my regular keys and car keys? What if I'm driving GF's car? What if I need to go rescue her if she locked her keys in her car, and I'm at work with my set of keys? What if I locked my keys in my car (again, since the Subaru will let you lock the doors with either the fob or power lock switch even with the keys in the ignition)?

So instead I have 9 keys on my ring (2 of them car keys), plus a key fob, though my fob, car key, and house key are on a second, smaller ring. 3 of the keys look identical (keys to 2 different friend's places, plus my own place), 2 mailbox keys (1 for the home, 1 for a PO box), self storage key, padlock for my locker at work...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have three keys on my key ring and it still annoys me because I’m a minimalist when it comes to carrying poo poo around

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I've been trying to find something like those key holders that have become ubiquitous (like this) but which will hold barrel keys and other oddly sized widgets.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I have three keys on my key ring and it still annoys me because I’m a minimalist when it comes to carrying poo poo around

:same: I have 4, and I have an individual key ring for each car so that I'm not carrying around 4 car keys all the time, as they're the biggest ones. So on each ring is 1 car key, 1 house key, 1 mail key and 1 office key. Fits right in my pocket!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

right? my home key ring has: interior door, exterior door, tiny library card which honestly just serves to align the keys and keep them from janglin around. then my car key lives all by itself.

Mailbox, laundry room, and garage key are on a separate keychain that lives in the house. Don't have other keys and don't want them.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

:same:
Well, car + 4 keys at the moment but I need to remove the one for my parents house since I'm now 2,000 miles away instead of 20.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Holy fucknuggets, hell SERIOUSLY froze over!

Just went over to the dealer to pay off Brokeback Outback. They weren't there, but I called the owner's cellphone. They're at auction. Saw my old car sitting on the sale lot.

"Oh, the 2003 Subaru! We took the Saturn on trade, right? Yeah, call it even... we didn't think we'd be able to fix it, but we got a junkyard fuel line and changed the transmission fluid, and those sway bar bushings you sold us fixed the clunking up front... we have it listed for $1800, we'll still be making a small profit if we take $1200 for it. Just come by around 3-4pm and we'll sign off on the paperwork, just make sure my husband isn't here, he'll bitch about it".

An HONEST used car dealer? :wtc::hf::stonkhat:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

STR posted:

Just come by around 3-4pm and we'll sign off on the paperwork, just make sure my husband isn't here."
I have seen many documentaries on the internet that start this way.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Last night I debadged the volvo so I could do paint repair easier. On the last letter, I pulled on it a little and it popped off taking a big chunk of clear coat with it! Or so I thought, in better lighting this morning I found out it was just glue. My poor heart

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

I have seen many documentaries on the internet that start this way.

:laffo:

The place is blanketed in cameras, and while she's certainly attractive... no. Her mother is almost always there hanging out too. It was more of a "he'll get pissy if he finds out I just gave away a few hundred bucks".

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Uh, mother + daughter + cameras end up in a lot of those docos

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

As I am no longer interested in being mistaken for a janitor I don't even carry a key ring anymore; I grab the car key-fob (all 3 are keyless or at least should be, tbd on the S65 but that's another matter) in question and go.

IMO house keys aren't necessary anymore either what with modern digital locks or whatever. It's freeing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That new Sonata has a digital key that stores on your phone, how widespread is that tech because it's cool as poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

Uh, mother + daughter + cameras end up in a lot of those docos

Not at these ages.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I actually keep meaning to check Amazon for a key holder like for a car lot or similar because I HAVE SO MANY VEHICLES NOW. Just this morning was digging through my lock box to start up some vehicles that have been sitting, since I will be out of town with the kids for a few days and I am like "is the one with the wacky japanese character the lite ace or the fire truck, is this for the skyline or bluebird why did I not organize these?"

Tremek posted:

IMO house keys aren't necessary anymore either what with modern digital locks or whatever. It's freeing.

I changed to keypad locks on my house and it is fantastic but I just know I am going to come home and the keypad is dead one day, the 9 volt batteries that came in them like 3-4 years ago are the original ones.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

My problem with detachable keychains or a carabiner is...

I can't find the full set of keys half the time - I'm on an anti-anxiety med that isn't so great for my memory, which was terrible to begin with. How the gently caress am I gonna find both my regular keys and car keys? What if I'm driving GF's car? What if I need to go rescue her if she locked her keys in her car, and I'm at work with my set of keys? What if I locked my keys in my car (again, since the Subaru will let you lock the doors with either the fob or power lock switch even with the keys in the ignition)?

So instead I have 9 keys on my ring (2 of them car keys), plus a key fob, though my fob, car key, and house key are on a second, smaller ring. 3 of the keys look identical (keys to 2 different friend's places, plus my own place), 2 mailbox keys (1 for the home, 1 for a PO box), self storage key, padlock for my locker at work...

I have a key rack by the door, and the keys *always* go on the key rack. Otherwise, I'm like you and have no idea where my keys went. I just had to make it a habit.

Krakkles posted:

I've been trying to find something like those key holders that have become ubiquitous (like this) but which will hold barrel keys and other oddly sized widgets.

I use a Keysmart for my work keys, since I only have 4 flat keys for that.

Galler posted:

:same:
Well, car + 4 keys at the moment but I need to remove the one for my parents house since I'm now 2,000 miles away instead of 20.

I'd prefer to have few keys, but honestly mine's not bad. I've got a set of keys for each car on an S-biner, so switch them out. All my cars have at least one key and a remote fob, several have two keys, either factory, or a second key for like the hitch receiver lock, then I have a USB drive, a set of house keys (front, back, and a couple padlocks on outdoor stuff, plus the Doohickey, and that's usually it. Sometimes just grab the car keys alone and count on the garage door opener working.

So, fun thing with those keyless fobs all you guys are fawning over: Thieves can use a receiver to read them from inside the house, and record and retransmit the signal to the car, open it, start it, and drive away. Just so you know. Keep your fob in a metal container/RFID envelope, or other Faraday cage when not in use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I actually keep meaning to check Amazon for a key holder like for a car lot or similar because I HAVE SO MANY VEHICLES NOW. Just this morning was digging through my lock box to start up some vehicles that have been sitting, since I will be out of town with the kids for a few days and I am like "is the one with the wacky japanese character the lite ace or the fire truck, is this for the skyline or bluebird why did I not organize these?"

A cheap box of paper key tags is what you need. And a key box would be helpful, I suppose.
My folks (well, my dad...) have enough vehicles that mom found a little wooden cabinet with a mess of key hooks inside that was perfect. Holds like 10 or 12 keys of you don't double stack, and doesn't look like a piece of industrial hardware in the kitchen.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

A cheap box of paper key tags is what you need. And a key box would be helpful, I suppose.
My folks (well, my dad...) have enough vehicles that mom found a little wooden cabinet with a mess of key hooks inside that was perfect. Holds like 10 or 12 keys of you don't double stack, and doesn't look like a piece of industrial hardware in the kitchen.

Yep, I will browse this weekend and try to order something. I will be installing whatever box in my closet where no one sees so it can be a metal box or whatever...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I never find I have that much problem recognising which keys are which, most of them are in some way different. Even the ones that are nominally identical end up with different wear etc on them so you can tell them apart.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

That new Sonata has a digital key that stores on your phone, how widespread is that tech because it's cool as poo poo.

My new Corsair has this. It's a little tedious to set up, but works like a charm once done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Krakkles posted:

Make a simple one with a short leather strap and bolt.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

I never find I have that much problem recognising which keys are which, most of them are in some way different. Even the ones that are nominally identical end up with different wear etc on them so you can tell them apart.

GF's Toyota key will go almost halfway into the Subaru's ignition, and vice versa.

With the Saturn, it would go just enough to trip the key-in alarm (and vice versa), then get stuck. :argh: The Toyota has a much bigger head on it vs the Subaru key, I'm sure partly because it has a passive chip in it. No chip in mine. The Saturn's key was just as wide and long as the Toyota's, the head was as wide (but thinner), so in a hurry, it was easy to mix them up. The Subaru key is a lot smaller overall, and apparently uses Nissan key blanks (it came with a Nissan branded key when I bought it :laffo:), so I don't mix them up unless I'm really tired.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

everdave posted:

May I interest you in the State of the Art of Lockbox Technology Solution that our lot started using?

Also, do you have $88,000?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is there anyone that makes some kind of aftermarket shrunk down version of these switchblade type keys from the 2000s?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, actually, you can buy ones for some common brands to make an old normal-key-and-separate-fob setup into one of those.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I already have the pictured switchblade, I just hate how big it is. Was hoping to find someone had miniaturized the electronics. I did find a forum thread where people are taking the key and electronics out of the enclosure but it looks pretty janky.

e: I ordered a used key to gently caress around with, maybe I can make it smaller :shrug:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 6, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

As I am no longer interested in being mistaken for a janitor I don't even carry a key ring anymore; I grab the car key-fob (all 3 are keyless or at least should be, tbd on the S65 but that's another matter) in question and go.

What is the current status of the replacement Mercedes? I don't think I have seen an update since posting about winning the auction.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Darchangel posted:

This.

The one I got even has a bottle opener built in:
https://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-KeyRack-Plus.asp

You can get them with all-steel S-biners, too. The first one I got had those, so I have a mix of steel and plastic ones. Very occasionally the keys will press against the clips just right to release one, but I usually hang it on a front belt loop and tuck the keys into my pocket, so not usually a big issue. On the original one I bought years ago, the actual spring clip (the movable part) on the big part broke from fatigue. This was after probably 3-5 years of use, so I just bought another one, hence the mix of S-biner types. The also make a variant with a locking mechanism on the S-biners to prevent the issue I mentioned above.
I also have one of their "Doohickey" key tools. Reasonably handy.
That looks way too bulky. I had my keys on a carabineer for a long time, then the 'biner spring broke and I've never found the same size again. 😥

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I used to carry all of my keys, absolutely all of them, on a carabiner on my beltloop.

Now, most of the time only key I have on me is the one for whatever vehicle I am driving. Most of my keys remain in a keybox inside my house. I don't even keep a housekey on me because I have keypad locks on the house and my 87yo next door neighbour is just nosy enough that she sticks her head out of her door to say hello to everyone who comes to my door whether or not I am home which is a surprisingly effective deterrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Starting to get my car ready for sale when it gets warmer outside. Need to take care of a scrape along the rear bumper where I assume someone got too close while parking or leaving. It's too deep to just be buffed out so I took it to some random autobody place to see what they would say, assuming it just needed to be repainted.

They go out and look at it and decide that it needs an entire new bumper because there's hairline cracks in the paint around it and that means the bumper is damaged. They are happy to get a new OEM one for $1100 and charge $2000 in total to fix it.

Went home and sanded down an area that had cracks. They were full of poo poo and the bumper is completely fine and just needs to be repainted as I suspected. Time to find someone that actually knows what they're doing. Found a small place that only does paint and is run by a single guy. Pretty sure his work will be lightyears better and cheaper.