Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Phanatic posted:

What, like jewelry you keep in a safe-deposit box at a bank? No, that's not insured. At least, not by the government or the bank. You could get personal article insurance if you wanted to. A deposit box at a bank is no different than a rental storage facility.

But jewelry at the store is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

What, like jewelry you keep in a safe-deposit box at a bank? No, that's not insured. At least, not by the government or the bank. You could get personal article insurance if you wanted to. A deposit box at a bank is no different than a rental storage facility.

The incident in question started after a jewelry store robbery gone horribly wrong.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

Isn’t jewelry like money in banks insured?

Yes, but these guys had already shot a person at the store so they were not just robbers at that point.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Yes, but these guys had already shot a person at the store so they were not just robbers at that point.

Cool reason for cops to use random commuters as meatshields, then.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cool reason for cops to use random commuters as meatshields, then.

Not taking the cops side, just saying that it wasn't about stolen jewelry (successful or not), it was about attempted murder. The cops hosed up hardcore and my heart breaks for those innocent people who were just going about their day before getting iced by the police.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Not taking the cops side, just saying that it wasn't about stolen jewelry (successful or not), it was about attempted murder. The cops hosed up hardcore and my heart breaks for those innocent people who were just going about their day before getting iced by the police.

I couldn't be bothered to explore if you were bootlicking or not, just pointing out the cop logic if "Well they shot at least one person" then cowering behind occupied vehicles.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The way the hatches burst off in a geyser of flame reminded me of the manhole cover launching sewer explosion from Mythbusters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DokeJj0pxPw&t=127s

SelenicMartian posted:

Claire's switched to using dremel directly on the candy on Gourmet Makes.

Goggles: good
Hair not pulled back: bad
Dishtowel: ???

I will give her points for being pretty good with eye protection whenever the dremel comes out.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Several pages back, but regarding the Schlitterbahn beheading ride, the indictment quotes one of the loving ride designers as saying "Obviously things do fall faster than Newton said"

This dude and associates were acquitted of charges - or at least not punished in any way.

wtf

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah I thought that's what the other poster was referring to on page 11, like what a braindead rear end thing to say

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The way the hatches burst off in a geyser of flame reminded me of the manhole cover launching sewer explosion from Mythbusters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DokeJj0pxPw&t=127s

Goggles: good
Hair not pulled back: bad
Dishtowel: ???

I will give her points for being pretty good with eye protection whenever the dremel comes out.

They call it "test kitchen" for a reason..they're testing new ways to scalp yourself, because old safety warnings are mostly bullshit and outdated boomer logic.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This brings me back to the Pascal B nuclear test, where a manhole cover became the fastest human-made object ever recorded (before likely vaporizing in the atmosphere).

https://www.businessinsider.com/fastest-object-robert-brownlee-2016-2

Accelerated to 5x earth’s escape velocity by a nuclear weapon while still in atmosphere, the most :black101: of ways to get vaporized.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The most OSHA nuclear test is still Castle Bravo. Predicted yield was 5MT but thanks to an at-the-time unexpected Lithium deuteride reaction the yield was around 15MT...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Icon Of Sin posted:

This brings me back to the Pascal B nuclear test, where a manhole cover became the fastest human-made object ever recorded (before likely vaporizing in the atmosphere).

Accelerated to 5x earth’s escape velocity by a nuclear weapon while still in atmosphere, the most :black101: of ways to get vaporized.

I read recently that it is possible the manhole cover was going so fast that it didn't have time to vaporize. I can only hope that whatever foundry cast that steel plate is the first corporation to wipe out a whole alien civilization.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was that the manhole that was filmed for a total of one frame on a high speed camera?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, that's the one. They tried to film it but it only showed up on one frame so all they had was a lower bound for the speed it was moving.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

I read recently that it is possible the manhole cover was going so fast that it didn't have time to vaporize. I can only hope that whatever foundry cast that steel plate is the first corporation to wipe out a whole alien civilization.

Has anyone done a calculation to see whereabouts that thing would be heading? Is it possible to hit anything in our solar system (I understand how tiny the odds of that are)?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

The worst thing about incidents like this is that it truly shows how poorly trained and prepared LEOs are in the US, so much so to the point that if a big incident went down they'd potentially be putting your life at risk.

No amount of training is going to keep bloodthirsty cops from becoming excited and trigger happy at the thought of doing some kills

That sort of thing has to be addressed during the hiring process, not after

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fallom posted:

No amount of training is going to keep bloodthirsty cops from becoming excited and trigger happy at the thought of doing some kills

I'm still a proponent of issuing cops guns that flip a digital coil every trigger pull (whether or not a shot is fired) to decide if it explodes.

Power it with cheap batteries so there's a risk the ignite on the cops' holsters too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fallom posted:

The training does affect it a lot. Police training is infamously antagonistic toward civilians; it emphasizes that not only must cops maintain control of a situation and be the source of power in every single incident without giving any of it up, they get shown videos of people randomly attempting to kill cops during things like traffic stops to tell them "This can happen at any time. Any single person you interact with can just decide to shoot you in the face for no reason." Even the cops who aren't coming into the force as bloodthirsty sociopaths are conditioned to turn into them by making them treat every situation as one where they need to push people around and be ready to kill on the spot, while negotiation more complex than "PUT THE KNIFE ON THE GROUND!!!!!" is pretty much non-existent.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Fallom posted:

There's also post hire training that teaches cops to be "warriors" that really feeds into the trigger happy culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzQrbio2Qw

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The training does affect it a lot. Police training is infamously antagonistic toward civilians; it emphasizes that not only must cops maintain control of a situation and be the source of power in every single incident without giving any of it up, they get shown videos of people randomly attempting to kill cops during things like traffic stops to tell them "This can happen at any time. Any single person you interact with can just decide to shoot you in the face for no reason." Even the cops who aren't coming into the force as bloodthirsty sociopaths are conditioned to turn into them by making them treat every situation as one where they need to push people around and be ready to kill on the spot, while negotiation more complex than "PUT THE KNIFE ON THE GROUND!!!!!" is pretty much non-existent.

I always wondered if they actually showed that Surviving Edged Weapons to cops but like that really does seem to be how they are trained to think about every situation yeah

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Icon Of Sin posted:

Actually, in the article you posted, the man who conducted the experiment now thinks it's less likely the cover vaporized (bc he's witnessed missile launches since), and so now he thinks it's more likely it shot off into space

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Look up Stephen Mader. The murder is intentional. He was a marine veteran responding to someone with a gun. He was using his military training to defuse the situation because you can't just indiscriminately kill people. Two more cops show up and immediately shoot and kill the guy. A few days later, Mader is fired for not murdering the guy with the gun.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 6, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Time for some OSHA BBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NThtYBaunM

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
UPS has been a stream of OSHA lately, two people were killed in a tugger accident in LA last month, and driver in MA in October that didn't get reported.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I always wondered if they actually showed that Surviving Edged Weapons to cops but like that really does seem to be how they are trained to think about every situation yeah
That and worse.

There's a wonderful series of dashcam snuff videos that get shown over and over to really drill in the idea that everyone is out to murder cops all the time for no reason.

Seriously, if you showed that poo poo to POWs it'd be a war crime.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Also there's this fuckhead:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/dave-grossman-training-police-militarization/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2017/02/14/a-day-with-killology-police-trainer-dave-grossman/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/30/do-not-resist-a-chilling-look-at-the-normalization-of-warrior-cops/

quote:

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it was Toledo or Cincinnati where the cops were using militarized language in their protocols and teaching officers that police stations are essentially FOBs in hostile occupied territory.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tony Snark posted:

UPS has been a stream of OSHA lately, two people were killed in a tugger accident in LA last month, and driver in MA in October that didn't get reported.

I don't know what this is but I choose to believe that it involves mutual masturbation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One fun fact is that cops don't know how to properly use a tazer.

The way tazers are designed, they shoot one dart straight and the other is designed to fall, creating a distance between darts. They're also for causing muscle spasms, so they need to hit a lot of muscle. Basically they work best at I think it's 10 feet away and hitting someone in the back.

Cops shoot people at point blank in the front with a tazer, and then go for the gun, because now they're fighting Wolverine.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

One fun fact is that cops don't know how to properly use a tazer.

The way tazers are designed, they shoot one dart straight and the other is designed to fall, creating a distance between darts. They're also for causing muscle spasms, so they need to hit a lot of muscle. Basically they work best at I think it's 10 feet away and hitting someone in the back.

Cops shoot people at point blank in the front with a tazer, and then go for the gun, because now they're fighting Wolverine.

That's a lot of work when they can just dome the guy with a 9mm and then claim "Aww geeze, I thought I grabbed my taser! Silly me!" And upbeat music plays and the credits roll.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a day on the job at arpaio construction

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nocheez posted:

Has anyone done a calculation to see whereabouts that thing would be heading? Is it possible to hit anything in our solar system (I understand how tiny the odds of that are)?

Millennia in the future, an alien invasion force arrives to a burned-out Earth, looking to avenge the unprovoked attack in the form of a manhole cover which hit one of their colonies at near-relativistic speed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm not a fan of shaming as punishment, but this seems harmless and funny enough to get a pass.

(also, man up and wear the pink, it's fine, it's just a color)

Having to wear those clods over my shoes when I forget my steel toes is enough for me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I would never not wear that if it was an option.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uthor posted:

I'm not a fan of shaming as punishment, but this seems harmless and funny enough to get a pass.

(also, man up and wear the pink, it's fine, it's just a color)

Having to wear those clods over my shoes when I forget my steel toes is enough for me.

I bought a pink calculator for work because toxic masculinity should prevent it from getting stolen. In the unlikely event that it does get stolen, it will be easy to spot.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CommieGIR posted:

I see those cops went to the spetznatz school of Hostage rescue.

What, they pumped carfentanyl gas in and then dragged out the unconcious hostages, and failed to leave them in the recovery position, leading to a massive, easily avoidable death toll?

Well at least the last part is right :negative:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I would never not wear that if it was an option.

Iron Crowned posted:

I bought a pink calculator for work because toxic masculinity should prevent it from getting stolen. In the unlikely event that it does get stolen, it will be easy to spot.

If I worked somewhere that required a toolset, I absolutely would rattlecan pink everything I used for those exact reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Memento posted:

What, they pumped carfentanyl gas in and then dragged out the unconcious hostages, and failed to leave them in the recovery position, leading to a massive, easily avoidable death toll?

Well at least the last part is right :negative:

Beslan.