Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That's Jimmy Snuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Foul Fields - HGL-34J-TYG - Boy that purple stuff, huh folks?

Troopa Tundra - 70K-RFN-D1H - Fun fact, I made the first 1/3 of this stage in one night in July and didn't touch it again until Wednesday night when the new parts came out. Also in spite of the name, there are few Troopas.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Not sure if it’s something they overlooked, or if there is a reason for it, but Spike’s snowballs in the snow theme can collect coins, pink coins, and keys if they are rolled, but not if the tiles that the snowball is rolling on are spikes.

Edit, this is what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIBj4jCpfQ

Actually has nothing to do with the spikes, but maybe that it goes over the see-saw.

Edit: I found out this more or less has to do with the player interacting with the snowball first I think.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 11, 2019

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!
Pipe of Sands, Door of Bones - 138-k1h-y3g

Explore and change a strange world. You can restart if you'd like to reset the flag.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Foul Fields - HGL-34J-TYG - Boy that purple stuff, huh folks?

Troopa Tundra - 70K-RFN-D1H - Fun fact, I made the first 1/3 of this stage in one night in July and didn't touch it again until Wednesday night when the new parts came out. Also in spite of the name, there are few Troopas.

Foul Fields:

I liked the slow pace at the start, going an unusually long time without a powerup added a feel of tension but the structure of the obstacles kept it fairly muted. It was more sort of... lightly ominous. I think I found the lack of coins positive in that regard too, but I think a few isolated pockets of coins in areas slightly outside of necessary progression might help break up the experience without detracting from the theme. I worry that my tastes might be outside the norm there -- some players may not enjoy the spartan feel.

I liked the blocks on tracks as lifter platforms, visually they matched the level very nicely.

There's a gap in the ceiling and a way to get a feather, but I lost it before successfully getting up through the gap. I wonder if there's something sweet hidden there?

Couple difficulty spikes -- the first lifter platform and especially after the second flag. The second flag has some brutal timing in it -- the correct play is to make a blind leap of faith, you start out with juuust enough camera height to not be able to see the platform. Jumping down to reset the camera causes the timing to be such that the fireball hits most of the platform at the next opportunity, and waiting for another full transit of the tilting platform lines up the spike thrower similarly perfectly. Would recommend just scooching the camera down a bit so the player doesn't have to leap blind, that will make navigating the spike a lot more natural.

Overall I quite liked it, the aesthetic made it feel pretty novel.

Troopa Tundra:

I appreciated that the level didn't just use the mario 1 visuals -- this definitely feels like a mario 1 level.

That p-switch run is tough! I ended up finishing the level, then coming back to try it separately. Since it almost certainly takes several attempts, at least for scrublords like me, a 1-up mushroom feels a bit tame as a reward.

The twist after getting the fire flower, where you're confronted with mostly-harmless snowmen who resist the fire without being immune, was nice. Wouldn't have minded exploring that interaction a bit more, but wouldn't want to sacrifice the mario 1 feel for it. Perhaps a high ground / low ground fork split by breakable bricks, where the bottom path is blocked by a snowman but has treasure?

Short and sweet! I'm always happy to see winter levels that don't use slippery pathing.

Thinkmeats fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 7, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I did what I thought was a decent run of the ninji course and it told me I was ranked #143 000 and now I never want to play a Mario game ever again.

OneMoreTime posted:

And stream complete! Thanks again to everyone who joined me tonight
11. The Great Blockbuster 02:53:45
By: Lurdiak 9FP-V5B-1TF

Hey, thanks for the nice words about my silly little stage. I agree that this concept could probably be expanded upon with horizontal sections and other block interactions, I'm gonna try to figure some of that out and see if I can make a more sophisticated stage.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I did what I thought was a decent run of the ninji course and it told me I was ranked #143 000 and now I never want to play a Mario game ever again.

You'd be surprised how much even a .01 second improvement would move you up the ranks. Keep at it, there's always another tweak you can make.

I got a new pb this morning! Rank 1800 at the time:
https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1203374989174431744

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How in the blue gently caress are people getting even 20 seconds? :psyduck:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm streaming this game right now if people want to throw their latest and greatest at me:
https://www.twitch.tv/pizza_skeleton

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I know everybody loves magikoopas, so here's a new level for you. Also, Link's here too.

Wizzrobe Wreckers
ID# PM7-WF0-NJF

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1203441979893268480?s=20

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I made this one before 2.0 came out and forgot to post it

And this one is my first use of spike, which is quickly becoming my favorite enemy in the game

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How in the blue gently caress are people getting even 20 seconds? :psyduck:

ThaBeast is going to make a video on how to do a perfect run, but his way has too many frame perfect jumps for a chump like me. I don't know what you're time is now, but I shaved off a quarter of a second when I learned that you are faster running on the steep slopes and siding on the gentler slopes.

So my "not perfect but way easier than a perfect route to get under 20 seconds" I'll put the perfect route in spoiler txt so if you can pull off some of it, you can get a faster time. was jumping onto the 3 blocks at the beginning, then bouncing on the pukers and snowballs up the two slopes to the top of the level.for a perfect run go under the three bricks at the beginning so you get p-speed sooner then jumping onto the bricks, duck-jump into the edge of the last brick to get a 2 pixel boost and do a bunch of frame perfect jumps up the first 2 hills

Then run down the steep slope and slide when it turns gentler. Bounce off the first big snowball then slide on that tiny gentler slope. Jump to the next island and run down the steep slope and slide when you get to the gentler slope again. Jump and tiny bounce off the last snowball or the puker at the top of the hill.

Go under the two big snowballs, running on the steep slope and sliding on the on the gentler one keep holding down till you slide through the Smokey big jump at the ledge and you should bounce off both flying pukers.(if you miss either you can still keep your speed up as long as you don't hit that big puker or the wall)

You'll land on the ledge that ends in a ? Block. Jump at the VERY end of the ? Block and you should bounce up the gentle slope off like the 2ed and 5th Snokey. You'll land on the flat edge with the big snowball at the edge.

Run straight off the edge, pushing the big snowball, and slide when you get to the gentler slope. Run right through the tall Snokey(the big snowball will make a space for you) and jump to the pole.for a perfect run you have to jump into the left side of that last big snowball so you just miss the edge of the ledge. this puts you on the slope sooner so you go slightly faster. But I couldn't really pull that jump off well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

drat, it looks like there is no way to get any of the extra Zelda songs to play permanently throughout the level. If I slap the mini boss theme on Mario it doesn’t change when the master sword is obtained. The Zelda overworld theme doesn’t really fit the vibe of the level I’m working on.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Big Bertha's Treadmill Lagoon

T3S-X1M-57G

Hop on the treadmill & go for a swim. Just be careful to not get swallowed whole!

I made most of this course before the update, but there is a bonus room with the dash pad.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I got down to a 19.870 with a run I'll spoiler footage of. It's about the limit without a loving ludicrous series of jumps up the slopes at the beginning to allow running up to full speed at the start instead of slowing down prematurely with a jump to the blocks which can save you another .05 - .06ish if the rest is also perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/NX7pv0M.mp4

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Violen posted:

I got down to a 19.870 with a run I'll spoiler footage of. It's about the limit without a loving ludicrous series of jumps up the slopes at the beginning to allow running up to full speed at the start instead of slowing down prematurely with a jump to the blocks which can save you another .05 - .06ish if the rest is also perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/NX7pv0M.mp4

Bravo. I love watching people that are just plain better than me. Like I can tell that you are landing at the perfect spots so you are taking advantage of going faster running on the entire length of the steep slopes and sliding at like the exact perfect spot on the gentle ones. But I'm just not that accurate. I even gave up on the little jump at the very end because I just couldn't get it and I just wanted under 20 seconds. It's crazy that the difference between my sloppy mess of a run and perfection is an eighth of a second.

Same thing with watching onemoretime's streams when he plays levels I've played. I'll struggle with a section of a level and then spend MINUTES practicing and routing it, and then watch him just blow through it first try (granted once I start practicing I slip into routing it perfectly instead of just beating it pretty quick)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Put checkpoints in your levels, people. If there’s no clear condition you have no excuse. Even 1-1 has a checkpoint.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 8, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think I'm getting used to the slopes now, it turns out you can still gain speed on a gentle slope to a flat for a brief moment, so I was able to squeeze a tiny bit extra from the two slopes that don't end in cliffs.

https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1203779147354394624

Ninji speedruns is still the only new content I've engaged with.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I actually felt degenerate enough today to jump into the nasty poo poo with this stupid-rear end ninji garbage. The real killer with the 19.8xx range is that there's so much granularity in the impact of what you do through the course of a full run that adds up to screw you out of your highlight successes since we're in the realm of single-digit frame saves and losses. I had a run that hit 19.849 with one but not both frame-perfect slope jumps at the beginning while ignoring the blocks, and one just now that hit both but actually came in longer than my footage upthread at 18.877 because I didn't extend two slides into flat ground as long as I could have and because I started one slide a hair's width beyond the exact starting point of its gentle slope. It becomes an absolute nightmare to grind and you don't register differences between good and bad runs until you run back video a few times. I just saw in one of thabeast's VODs what looked like a flawless run with both frame-perfect jumps and the corner boost that came in .011 slower than his PB at the time and he had no idea why in the moment. There are more tools on the side of frame saves now than there were days back like the corner boost and now this nebulous slide cancelling no one has really nailed the dynamics of, but it's still an exercise in masochism to grind toward with no conscious tells toward what will be the run.

If nothing else I'm happy to have a recording that looks smooth at first blush that hits both slope jumps. The actual time is essentially secondary to me by this point.

https://i.imgur.com/no9QFXE.mp4

EDIT: Corrected the time by its very important 0.002 misquote to make myself feel better.

Also looking back at the footage a few more times the biggest culprit here besides what I mentioned is walking a smidgen on a slope before initiating the second triple jump series at the start.

Violen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 8, 2019

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Oh boy those ninji speedruns, felt great on day one when I hit just over 20s and was around #2,000, now I'm sitting at #18867!

I made another thing with the sword after playing a little too much of another game,

YF0-JBR-24G - Ashina Castle
Sort of inspired by Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and the master sword powerup. Do some hacky slashy stabby stabby adventuring through a forest and castle, wherein you'll need to swing your sword, shoot your arrows, and use a bomb or two to open the way.

Semi-related, I really love the feel of Linking through water and shooting things with arrows!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 6 PM PST/ 9 PM EST

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Ishto Soh Wetlands
By: Live Free TYT-JJN-8GF

2. It's More of a Dry Heat
By: Sam Faust CNN-66J-J1G

3. Foul Fields
By: Gnome Enthusiast HGL-34J-TYG

4. Troopa Tundra
By: Gnome Enthusiast 70K-RFN-D1H

5. Pipe of Sands, Door of Bones
By: Thinkmeats 138-K1H-Y3G

6. Wizzrobe Wreckers
By: Sam Faust PM7-WF0-NJF

7. Airship Wisp
By: In Training 72L-KOM-WYF

8. Spike's Secluded Cavern
By: In Training YPX-25F-F9G

9. Big Bertha's Treadmill Lagoon
By: Palmtree Panic T3S-X1M-57G

10. Ashina Castle
By: Tonberi YF0-JBR-24G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live, despite my best efforts!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here's my obligatory Link level:

Link's Desert Descent
Course ID: 3N2-NJR-6LG
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

I don't think I've ever seen anyone combine downward autoscroll with the night desert theme's wind effect. There's probably a reason for that, but I wanted to do something with Link that wasn't just the same thing everyone else is making. It was kind of an interesting experience.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Playing a really hard level and your levels if you submit 'em!

htttp://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hmm, the phrase 'link level' is a bit awkward. what if we called them 'linkle's?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Stream complete! Thanks again for everyone who showed up and/or submitted levels. Also, apparently I got muted for 15 minutes for using third-party music...such as the Legend of Zelda overworld theme. So that's nice!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/519463919

1. Ishto Soh Wetlands00:16:55
By: Live Free TYT-JJN-8GF

2. It's More of a Dry Heat 00:27:00
By: Sam Faust CNN-66J-J1G

3. Foul Fields 00:59:20
By: Gnome Enthusiast HGL-34J-TYG

4. Troopa Tundra 01:07:45
By: Gnome Enthusiast 70K-RFN-D1H

5. Pipe of Sands, Door of Bones 01:21:25
By: Thinkmeats 138-K1H-Y3G

6. Wizzrobe Wreckers 01:43:30
By: Sam Faust PM7-WF0-NJF

7. Airship Wisp 01:49:30
By: In Training 72L-KOM-WYF

8. Spike's Secluded Cavern 01:53:50
By: In Training YPX-25F-F9G

9. Big Bertha's Treadmill Lagoon 02:01:30
By: Palmtree Panic T3S-X1M-57G

10. Ashina Castle 02:05:30
By: Tonberi YF0-JBR-24G

=Viewer levels=

Link's Desert Descent
By: Jspot 3N2-NJR-6LG

Dashpad speeder 00:40:45
By: Glitchbomb P29-8XN-VLG

SMV Star-1: Shattered Sand 01:03:20
By: DarkLich 7DY-B7M-KXF

Wiggler's FIre and Ice Christmass
By: Babysbug 1ym-S34-RHG 01:15:00

Backwards slide (don't look right)
By: Samwell HQ8-652-CXF 01:39:40

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Tickle Towers - M08-Q4T-MSF - Yes, I considered calling this "Tentacle Towers." No, I did not do that.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Tickle Towers - M08-Q4T-MSF - Yes, I considered calling this "Tentacle Towers." No, I did not do that.

10 Tickle Towers would be a funny address, though.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://i.imgur.com/j3eGfxS.mp4

Here's my articles of voluntary commitment just so they're recorded somewhere.

In the end I never could bring myself to care about the corner boost or the slide cancels.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Violen posted:

In the end I never could bring myself to care about the corner boost or the slide cancels.

Nice, do you know what rank you had at the end? I was in the 570 range last night with a 19.857 run, but I don't know how many beat that before the deadline.

E: Here's my best, I guess I hadn't posted it

https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1204227245234999296?s=20

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Violen posted:

I spent like an hour getting down to 20:10 and somehow it never occurred to me to bother trying to slide through the big snowball :downs:

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Everybody loves ice and snow, right?

1PP-WY1-K9G - Frozen Assets
Use fire to melt ice blocks or not melt ice blocks, with some tricky platforming and a bowser fight because every stage needs more bowsers.

edit: Managed to push my ninji time down to 19.934, rank #5355. Here's hoping everyone under 20s gets the special thing :v:

tonberi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm at 146th. Originally it was 112th. It's a rough road down from there, an admin in the general SMM2 Discord server who's a true doom mariohead has an .835 and is in 125th up from loving 68th. People are gunning hard in the final hours.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Do we even know what percentage of players will be deemed worthy of the golden stars?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Do we even know what percentage of players will be deemed worthy of the golden stars?

the what now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

the what now

The trailer said top players get gold stars on their miis for a while

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The trailer said top players get gold stars on their miis for a while

Augh, it's probably top 100 or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Hopefully it's the top 7 players

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Given how they handled medals and associated rewards I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar distinction for the global top 3.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

tonberi posted:

Everybody loves ice and snow, right?

1PP-WY1-K9G - Frozen Assets
Use fire to melt ice blocks or not melt ice blocks, with some tricky platforming and a bowser fight because every stage needs more bowsers.

I just gave this a try and came away frustrated enough to not bother finishing it. The part past the checkpoint punishes the player for the slightest mistake. Alone that isn't a problem for difficult stages, but I think your stage goes overboard. If you melt the wrong block or so much as take a hit, the stage has been rendered impossible to beat without actually killing the player.

This spot requires you to gain momentum making use of the run/fire button, and then release and fire again to kill the piranha plant in mid air. All without getting hit or slightly missing.

Screwing it up can lead to situations like this where even though I survived the encounter, I now have no way to proceed and have to manually kill myself.

The area past it is more of the same where one stray fireball makes it very difficult/impossible to progress. I feel there is way too much of a reliance on ice blocks as platforms when running and shooting share the same button. I'm not a fan :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I really hope they patch in another version of the master sword that simply kills Link if he gets hit instead of transforming him back to Mario so that every Link level doesn’t have to be totally saturated with sword-dispensing pipes.

Like how is this not a thing? It was literally the first thing I thought once I settled down about how cool the Link announcement was, as I’m sure most other players did too.