Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

No Wave posted:

Fires and cat combo seem to be a dramatically higher power level than everything else. Even with embercleave theoretically being the answer to both it's just not as strong as what those decks do.

Ive been running an orzhov cat food deck that I brewed, and it shuts down both golgari adventures and fires decks. Turns out that deafening silence and disenchant in the sideboard are pretty good :v:

Exit: also, revenge of ravens works wonders against the aggro decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I do enjoy Magic having a nice diverse mix of players. Seems to not be the norm in other e-sport kind of things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

axeil posted:

I do enjoy Magic having a nice diverse mix of players. Seems to not be the norm in other e-sport kind of things.

Yeah, it's 97% male instead of 98% male.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm enjoying gruul embercleave because I enjoy turning big monsters sideways the same turn I play them. It isn't tier 1 and aggro is not great atm but I think standard is basically fine overall. There's room for lots of decks even though only a handful are tier 1. I don't think a metagame has to be a seven way tie to be good.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I've missed that Pikula has been actively playing again. Has he been on earlier MCs this year?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sit on my Facebook posted:

This is good content that you should be proud of. I would give y'all money if I had money to give.

Yeah it is a big accomplishment to get a year in. I mentioned over the summer my friends and I had a podcast idea and were going to try and record several. We did 4, I only edited one totally, and it even that sounded bad because my partners were not going to do anything else to make it happen: get a better mic than a 20$ of headset, not have cats mewing and other random hissing in the background, impossible the deal with audio lag because we weren't together, setting up the website and recording test eps for iTunes/et Al...it was alot of work. So good on The Dive Down for sticking through it.

Hellsau posted:

oof but i agree that they have to ban tron eventually, though banning only tron would be another loving half-measure ban

also ullman wanted augur of bolas banned over gush

Ullman has been writing about Pauper since before it was an official format, something I learned doing some semblance of podcast research. And he's basically been writing the same articles for just as long.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Hellsau posted:

i mean that's just an obvious lie so i'd be more worried about whichever higher up told her to say that and couldn't be bothered to come up with something believable

Yeah I was shocked by that response. It's just flatly unbelievable on its face that a team of pros could playtest that card and not recognize the power level. You've gotta have a better mea culpa. And if that was actually true... that's a big loving problem, and to say it speaks poorly of their effectiveness at their job is a massive understatement

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 6, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah I was shocked by that response. It's just flatly unbelievable on its face that a team of pros could playtest that card and not recognize the power level. You've gotta have a better mea culpa. And if that was actually true... that's a big loving problem, and to say it speaks poorly of their effectiveness at their job is a massive understatement

might have just been a last minute change and they didn't test it in the 2 days or whatever they had

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I don't buy that it's a lie because if youre corporate overlords are gonna force you to lie, they aren't gonna use a lie that makes them look utterly incompetent and unqualified to do their job

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I don't buy that it's a lie because if youre corporate overlords are gonna force you to lie, they aren't gonna use a lie that makes them look utterly incompetent and unqualified to do their job

ah, i see you are unfamiliar with late stage capitalism

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

that wasn't an official statement and was something that she was put on the spot about during a casual stream with someone else, for the record

you could tell she was frustrated at being made the face of the response even in the moment too

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bust Rodd posted:

it makes play design look incompetent, not their bosses

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"we didn't really consider how powerful Elking your opponent's stuff was, because the version we tested only targeted your own things and was changed the day before printing without any input from us"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

i'm really dumb and bought the secret lair bundle, opened up all of them to drop some silica packets inside, and got these stained glass planeswalkers:

5 color: Teferi
Snow: Teyo
Cats: Ajani
Bitterblosson: Sorin
Goblins: Domri
Serum: Ashiok
Dredge: Ashiok

hit the teferi lottery, missed on the liliana/bolas/nissa/karn ones. now i feel dirty for the insane amount of packaging involved in shipping me 40 cards.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lunsku posted:

I've missed that Pikula has been actively playing again. Has he been on earlier MCs this year?

He got back in to try and make sure his pro points were enough for HoF eligibility, but it seems like he's really enjoying himself in current formats now too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Hellsau posted:

hit the teferi lottery, missed on the liliana/bolas/nissa/karn ones. now i feel dirty for the insane amount of packaging involved in shipping me 40 cards.

I mean, it’s not much worse than having 13-15 cards worth nothing (aside for 3 hours of drafting) in the typical booster pack.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

whydirt posted:

I mean, it’s not much worse than having 13-15 cards worth nothing (aside for 3 hours of drafting) in the typical booster pack.

they shipped in a 1.5'x1'x0.5' cardboard box with the things inside, each of the seven having a white cardboard box, inside of which is the black box shown in the advertisements wrapped in tissue paper, and inside those are a bunch of spacers with the contents on top and the sealed planeswalker underneath.

it's a lotta goddamn packaging.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

they shipped in a 1.5'x1'x0.5' cardboard box with the things inside, each of the seven having a white cardboard box, inside of which is the black box shown in the advertisements wrapped in tissue paper, and inside those are a bunch of spacers with the contents on top and the sealed planeswalker underneath.

it's a lotta goddamn packaging.

gotta make sure your stuff looks good in unboxing youtube vids

Star Man posted:

Yeah, it's 97% male instead of 98% male.

98% is super generous dude. out of every non-ccg esport, Geguri and Scarlett are the only women i can think of

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 7, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

little munchkin posted:

98% is super generous dude. out of every non-ccg esport, Geguri and Scarlett are the only women i can think of

We including the FGC in that or nah

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

We including the FGC in that or nah

forgot about ricki ortiz, that brings my list up to three that I can name

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's obviously way more sociological than physiological, but Magic being less male-dominant than 'twitch' games like Starcraft or Fortnite does make me wonder if there is a :biotruths: factor there.

Esports are just the modern era's replacement for enormous pointless lovely wars when it comes to keeping large numbers of helpless, stupid young men like me from causing societal problems, so that would wash out any other factors anyway.

edit: emphasis on the 'way more sociological than physiological' part. the signal:noise ratio is so absurd that the only reason i brought it up at all is because of how different magic is from typical esports.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 8, 2019

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the concept of wizards not wanting to print overpowered poo poo because they would prefer a "healthy format" is interesting to me because how often are people who care about healthy formats cracking packs? basically never. i mean its true that in the case of poo poo like FNM the players are the product and you obviously want enough players to keep people engaged but i don't think they care about printing ruinous garbage and annoying these people for short terms.

people that need chase mythics will spend their money on chase mythics, grouse for a long time, and keep playing. people who aren't concerned about that aspect of the game would prefer to open overpowered cards i should think.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

the concept of wizards not wanting to print overpowered poo poo because they would prefer a "healthy format" is interesting to me because how often are people who care about healthy formats cracking packs? basically never. i mean its true that in the case of poo poo like FNM the players are the product and you obviously want enough players to keep people engaged but i don't think they care about printing ruinous garbage and annoying these people for short terms.

people that need chase mythics will spend their money on chase mythics, grouse for a long time, and keep playing. people who aren't concerned about that aspect of the game would prefer to open overpowered cards i should think.

Eh from bfz to kaladesh fnm attendence loving cratered due to how lovely standard was, so some part of wizards at least attempts to create a healthy standard environment

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

little munchkin posted:

gotta make sure your stuff looks good in unboxing youtube vids

Xiaomeng Li, a female Chinese HS player won the blizzcon championship this year. I don’t think she streams I’m english at all though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

neaden posted:

Xiaomeng Li, a female Chinese HS player won the blizzcon championship this year. I don’t think she streams I’m english at all though.

They said non-ccg

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yohosie is another. She's even a goon.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

This year was pretty absurd with what they let through. I didn't even need to playtest cards like Wrenn and Six, Hogaak, or Veil of Summer to know they're busted. Like 4 sets in a row had cards that had huge negative effects on 1 or more formats.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ungulateman posted:

It's obviously way more sociological than physiological, but Magic being less male-dominant than 'twitch' games like Starcraft or Fortnite does make me wonder if there is a :biotruths: factor there.

Esports are just the modern era's replacement for enormous pointless lovely wars when it comes to keeping large numbers of helpless, stupid young men like me from causing societal problems, so that would wash out any other factors anyway.

For me as I've gotten older I've focused more on games that don't mind that I'm an old man with crappy reaction times compared to 17 year-old kids. It's probably why I got into magic and to a lesser extent speedrunning because you can delude yourself into thinking you can compete in the big leagues.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ungulateman posted:

It's because teenage boys are lovely people that do a lot of sexual harrassment, op

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

It's because teenage boys are lovely people that do a lot of sexual harrassment, op

So are a lot of grown-rear end men.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember when that guy tried to guess a teammate's bra size, suggested she wear a skirt he buys her, talk about spying on her in the bathroom etc. on a livestream tournament? Really makes u wonder why women don't get into esports... must be something genetic tbh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jeez Estephan and Ally Warfield post the most ridiculously embarrassing sexist poo poo that happens to them at EVERY event they go to. These woman are hardcore grinders with multiple MCs under their belts and every single event they have dudes asking them if they know how their cards work or explaining bings like the stack to them or asking if it’s their boyfriend’s deck they’re just borrowing. It’s still happening at every event all the time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ungulateman posted:

For team games like mobas and shooters, mic communication is important and there's a networking aspect as well when it comes to finding other high-skill players that you have good team chemistry with. Women are going to be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to navigating a social environment that is overwhelmingly filled with toxic teenage boys.

Reaction time has nothing to do with it, the old grinder-centric model for mtg had those same barriers, not being able to develop the connections for testing/carpooling/cardsharing was a massive contributor to pro tours from just a few years go having 0-2 women competing in a field of hundreds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Unironically pondering whether or not there is a biological reason women don’t play as much competitive magic as men is not catching enough flak honestly

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Jeez Estephan and Ally Warfield post the most ridiculously embarrassing sexist poo poo that happens to them at EVERY event they go to. These woman are hardcore grinders with multiple MCs under their belts and every single event they have dudes asking them if they know how their cards work or explaining bings like the stack to them or asking if it’s their boyfriend’s deck they’re just borrowing. It’s still happening at every event all the time.

Imo doing poo poo like this should get people kicked from a tournament. If someone is playing in a tournament they clearly know what they're doing and these lovely teenage boys ruin things for everyone else

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2019

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Unironically pondering whether or not there is a biological reason women don’t play as much competitive magic as men is not catching enough flak honestly

Everyone knows the only reliable method to tell if someone is suited for competitive magic is by measuring the dimensions of their skull.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

axeil posted:

Imo doing poo poo like this should get people kicked from a tournament. If someone is playing in a tournament they clearly know what they're doing

even that 12 year old who cosplays as an elf?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arivia posted:

even that 12 year old who cosplays as an elf?

*Especially* the kids cosplaying as elves.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

re-read that guys post. he's saying that women are capable of playing magic good, but thinks they can't play fortnite because their smaller brains and reduced upper-body strength prevent them from clicking a mouse fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

axeil posted:

*Especially* the kids cosplaying as elves.

NISSA GONNA BEAT MY rear end IF I TELL HER HOW APNAP GOES