Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I think my character had a pretty nice curve of cop type. Started as a superstar cop, but Kim's disapproval caused me to become a sorry cop by day 2, then day 3 I really start to get my poo poo together and become a competent cop for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How are you supposed to get Titus to fess up if you don't pass the Rhetoric check?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

cock hero flux posted:

shaving and losing the expression makes you look sad and awful and dead inside

keeping the chops and expression makes you look like a mid-life crisis elemental

keeping the chops but losing the expression is best, you've come to terms with things but you're not throwing away all that you were, you're still human and you're still you

the fogman is for cowards

I'm pretty sure shaving and then keeping the expression automatically uninstalls the game and notifies the authorities

cosigned

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
good song from the game's composer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZfGa5t4e8

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I beat this Wednesday night and am still floored. The writing reminds me of Thomas Pynchon more than anything else, with the deftly handled tone juggling and musical numbers. I save scummed a few white checks, but only one red: like hell I was letting Kim get shot. Christ almighty what a great game.

I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread, possibly because it's a bit too obvious, but Disco Elysium is a play on The Trammps' Disco Inferno, with "Inferno" taken as a synonym for "Hell" rather than a kickin' rad party as it is in the song. The church in the karaoke song's title could be a reference to Camille Saint-Saëns, a 19th century composer most famous for the downright bitchin' Dans Macabre.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I clapped, I clapped whenever they said the thing about Disco Elysium in dialogue.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It took me two weeks after playing the game to to get "Gary, the Cryptofascist"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

UP AND ADAM posted:

I clapped, I clapped whenever they said the thing about Disco Elysium in dialogue.

I'm frankly not sure why they give you multiple options to name the club.

Maybe to make you feel happier about picking the right one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dreylad posted:

oh my god

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dreylad posted:

*dashes hat to the ground, stomps repeatedly*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

god drat it

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Is there a joke I'm missing beyond it being a pun on Morell, the Cryptozoologist?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I'm sorry to all of us who played through being a sorry cop.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightningproof posted:

Is there a joke I'm missing beyond it being a pun on Morell, the Cryptozoologist?

a cryptofascist is someone who adores fascism but does so in secret to avoid being ostracized, it's a play on cryptozoologist, cryptid, and cryptofascist as he's not a cryptofash as we know it but he still is because he's regular fash but super into cryptids

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

this is a dope as hell song but wasn't the music composed by British Sea Power? i don't see any member overlap between the two bands

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

OutOfPrint posted:

I don't think I saw this mentioned in the thread, possibly because it's a bit too obvious, but Disco Elysium is a play on The Trammps' Disco Inferno, with "Inferno" taken as a synonym for "Hell" rather than a kickin' rad party as it is in the song.
In-universe, Elysium is also an affectionate nickname people use for the game's planet. Can't remember if actually comes up anywhere in game or is it something I remember from devblogs.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

a cryptofascist is someone who adores fascism but does so in secret to avoid being ostracized, it's a play on cryptozoologist, cryptid, and cryptofascist as he's not a cryptofash as we know it but he still is because he's regular fash but super into cryptids

Okay, yeah I know all that. I just wasn't sure if there was something beyond that that I was missing, going by people's reactions.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Dreylad posted:

motherFUCKER

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Dreylad posted:

Great. loving great. I will never not be mad. :suicide:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm frankly not sure why they give you multiple options to name the club.

Maybe to make you feel happier about picking the right one.

No truce with the furies gets great reactions, especially with Kim if you tried to bring it up whenever possible (like naming the case)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Minor mid-game spoiler:

Can I find my gun without working for Evrart? I got as far as the pawnshop guy telling me 'someone named Pigs has it' and the game telling me I'll need to luck across it.
But I hit the fishmarket after 10 and it was empty! However, I did this without reporting it missing and without triggering the secret task.

P.S. This game is excellent.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Minor mid-game spoiler:

Can I find my gun without working for Evrart? I got as far as the pawnshop guy telling me 'someone named Pigs has it' and the game telling me I'll need to luck across it.
But I hit the fishmarket after 10 and it was empty! However, I did this without reporting it missing and without triggering the secret task.

P.S. This game is excellent.

I don't believe so, that particular thing is a string only he can pull

you may need to exit the area entirely before re-entering, that triggered it for me

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

cock hero flux posted:

I'm pretty sure shaving and then keeping the expression automatically uninstalls the game and notifies the authorities
I had never even thought about that possibility and it haunts me now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Shaving without changing his expression is all I did.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

You joke, but a game with a GY!BE or SMZ soundtrack would automatically be my goty, no matter the actual quality or genre of the game.

Heck, out of all software houses, ZA/UM is probably the one that could actually pull it off

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

No truce with the furies gets great reactions, especially with Kim if you tried to bring it up whenever possible (like naming the case)

If he likes you enough, he does actually use it as the case name too.

Dreylad posted:

Shaving without changing his expression is all I did.

I did this too and don't regret it. Don't know wtf everyone else is slagging that option, it definitely beats the miserable shaved cop with the unsmiling expression of misery.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 7, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Naw, man. It's honest pain, that shaved sad-sack. That's where resolve comes from.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah I did it and it really didn't fit my Harry, and the scene with Kim experiencing it is great. All the scenes with Kim are great.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

All the scenes with Kim are great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Midgame: I got the walk with Lilienne to unlock, but the dialogue seems broken. Do you guys know what's going on here? I went to the northern peninsula IMMEDIATELY after the conversation at the docks ended.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

So I spent some of tonight transcribing a few key scenes for the essay I'm apparently actually going to write, mostly about the pale, consciousness, and existentialism. I got the following scenes transcribed:

• Asking Joyce the fundamental nature of reality after passing the check
  • The entire conversation with Paledriver
  • The church sequence, starting when you tell Egg Head to plug in the wire for Soona and ending after the conversation with Revachol after the dance off.

Tomorrow when I have a little more left in me I'm going to transcribe the conversation with the Phasmid. I'm doing these on my hacked playthrough so I'm getting all the passive skill successes.

Does anyone remember any other conversations or sequences that touch on the pale or consciousness that would be worth having in my notes? Maybe some of the dream sequences where you talk to the Ancient Reptilian Brain and the Limbic System?

As a side note, Joyce calls the pale "The transition state of being into nothingness" which makes me fairly confident that the existential themes are intended and not just a personal obsession I'm reading too much into the text, lol.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Lightningproof posted:

Deeply suspicious (not really) of those who weren't the sorriest, most communist cop in town on their first playthrough.

I went communist at first but all the communists in the game are jerks so I went moralist

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

these are actually all types of cop you can be

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just got this game yesterday, and man.

I want to push Sunday Friend out the window. Racist Lorry Driver is bad, but relatively harmless. (Except I to suspect he was the peeping tom. I need to go back and check his boots.)

Sunday Friend is literally the corrupt right wing government official right down to the (conjecture) sex scandals with the poor.

My favorite thing so far is the writing choice to make your skills into characters in their own right. It adds so much depth to Harry's psyche.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Enjoy posted:

I went communist at first but all the communists in the game are jerks so I went moralist

I definitely had enough moralist points by the end for that thought to come up, it only takes 3 or 4, but I had something like 30 commie points.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I got the steam achievement Worlds most laughable Centrist in my 2nd playthrough. I laughed. First playthrough I went 4/4/2/2, 2nd time 2/2/5/3. It's radically different, Game is just amazing.

biglads fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 7, 2019

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Digital Osmosis posted:

As a side note, Joyce calls the pale "The transition state of being into nothingness" which makes me fairly confident that the existential themes are intended and not just a personal obsession I'm reading too much into the text, lol.

Dude, it's an Eastern European game. I can assure you it being soaked in existentialism is by no means a projection or an accident.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Enjoy posted:

Every ideology has at least one genuinely admirable proponent in the game.

"Nationalism" has Rene Arnoux, who is a genuine badass and also dies, making him the only kind of good fascist

"Moralism" has Kim Kitsuragi who is actually a crypto-communist even if he doesn't realize it himself; see his jacket, etc.

"ultraliberalism" has Joyce who surrenders to the Union and/or is still daydreaming about her hunky communist boyfriend from 30 years prior

And communism has the Deserter who is a better communist than you. Actually the serious answer here is Titus Hardie

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, why you would think you're the only one that is experiencing those existential themes in this game is bizarre.

Do you think you're the only person that truly exists? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

I... *might* have assumed you guys were my skills