Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crunchyroll's subs tend to be pretty consistently solid, but the site also hosts a bunch of third-party translations and makes no distinction who translated what on site. The only clues would be a different font for dialogue or different styling conventions. Hence you have a lot of shows with notoriously bad translators on CR, like anything by Aniplex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Davincie posted:

i quite like fansubs, often better than the official ones in my opinion

the ones that get all fancy with the OP and ED subs are so awesome, I've seen some with super stylized subs that I can't get enough of

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://youtu.be/56_mMbRCMzc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I wish the bookworm show didn't have the magic disease in it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Bookworm getting a season 2 in spring, was this known?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

Not for me, thanks. I guess that may be book 2 stuff?
... I really want book 4, darn it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tales of Woe posted:

oh I guess she's not gonna die

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

https://twitter.com/anime_booklove/status/1202784776945487873

The news only came out today, it looks like. Coming Spring 2020.

This is pretty incredible, to be honest. If this covers all of part 2 (and it very well might, looking at the key visual), then they're going to overtake not only the WN translations and the manga raws, but is going to come close to overtaking the official J-Novel Club LN translations as well.

Part 2 introduces a lot more of the worldbuilding and fantasy elements, a lot more characters, and is where the series starts to get into its groove. If they're doing it I'm honestly wondering if they're mad enough to try and do the whole series, because there isn't really that great of a stopping point. Part 2 is longer and denser than Part 1, and might need more episodes? The later parts definitely do, if they go that far.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Bakanogami posted:

https://twitter.com/anime_booklove/status/1202784776945487873

The news only came out today, it looks like. Coming Spring 2020.

This is pretty incredible, to be honest. If this covers all of part 2 (and it very well might, looking at the key visual), then they're going to overtake not only the WN translations and the manga raws, but is going to come close to overtaking the official J-Novel Club LN translations as well.

Part 2 introduces a lot more of the worldbuilding and fantasy elements, a lot more characters, and is where the series starts to get into its groove. If they're doing it I'm honestly wondering if they're mad enough to try and do the whole series, because there isn't really that great of a stopping point. Part 2 is longer and denser than Part 1, and might need more episodes? The later parts definitely do, if they go that far.

I'm hoping they do because this series deserves to get out into the world.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh man, it'd be incredible if they managed to adapt all the way to the finale of the second arc of Bookworm. So good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So Bookworm is worth watching? Seems to have been under the radar here.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Agronox posted:

Yeah, it's easily the best show of the season IMO

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Agronox posted:

It's a pretty chill and pleasant show. I enjoy it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agronox posted:

A friend is watching it and he likes it, haven't gone around to it though

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Agronox posted:

it's good. has some spice and wolf vibes with the setting and mercantile focus but less sophisticated and more like a kids show

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Agronox posted:

Everyone already read the WN or LN, and if you haven't you should.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I found Bookworm really boring in a bad way, but it's probably worth a shot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But yeah the first 5 or so episodes are quite much "everything is terrible", then things get better and the story proper gets going. That doesn't mean you can skip the first several episodes though, it's all still important.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's funny, a lot of the complaints I see about the show are that it's too slow, but having come from the WN, I think it's way too fast. Blazing fast even.

But yeah I think it's a decent enough adaptation. It's a slice of life isekai that manages to avoid the worst tropes of the genre, or at least does something interesting with them. Once the main character learns to care about the other people in her life, it gets much more interesting and emotional. Don't expect any fighting tournament arcs or whatever any time soon; it's largely about living day to day while working towards a specific goal.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, out of all the shows going and continuing this season Bookworm is the one I look forward to the most.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bookworm is extremely good, but it's weakest at the beginning so it might turn some people off.

It's an isekai, but avoids most of the tropes associated with the genre. It starts off slow, but has a lot of worldbuilding and emotional climaxes in later parts. The WN has been popular here for a while, but it's very long and fairly dense, so translations are still a long way from even reaching the halfway point. The anime adaptation is...okay, I guess. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did the anime get any further than the scans? Last I read Main was about to figure out how to make parchment while using the power of accounting to take over the guard post.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The scans are further than that now (and the anime is further than that as well)

She's just had her baptism is the manga.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The English translation of the manga is close to the end of part 1, with the raws a good chunk of the way into part 2. There's a separate series adapting part 3 with no translations.
The fan WN translation is stalled about halfway through part 2.
The official LN translations are still in the first book of part 2.
It's looking like season 1 of the anime will cover all of part 1, with season 2 presumably covering part 2.
There are 5 parts total, with the later ones being a lot longer and different thematically.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, on the other extreme, there's a trailer out now for next season's Interspecies Reviewers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpveDH9E--g

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
crim sure is cute. also,

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Bakanogami posted:

Bookworm is extremely good, but it's weakest at the beginning so it might turn some people off.

It's an isekai, but avoids most of the tropes associated with the genre. It starts off slow, but has a lot of worldbuilding and emotional climaxes in later parts. The WN has been popular here for a while, but it's very long and fairly dense, so translations are still a long way from even reaching the halfway point. The anime adaptation is...okay, I guess. It could be better, but it could be a lot worse.

I'm considering trying it but the only isekai I've enjoyed was konosuba (which to me was more fantasy comedy), I've found every other one I've watched absolutely abysmal. Is this enough of a standout/deviation that it's worth trying anyway?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Argue posted:

It's funny, a lot of the complaints I see about the show are that it's too slow, but having come from the WN, I think it's way too fast. Blazing fast even.

But yeah I think it's a decent enough adaptation. It's a slice of life isekai that manages to avoid the worst tropes of the genre, or at least does something interesting with them. Once the main character learns to care about the other people in her life, it gets much more interesting and emotional. Don't expect any fighting tournament arcs or whatever any time soon; it's largely about living day to day while working towards a specific goal.
It seems like the show suffers a lot from laser focus on the main character and her plot. Does the WN spend a lot more time just letting people be people, so they can show the audience their thoughts and feelings? Cause in the show there is an issue where how characters feel or behave is only really demonstrated when they matter to the specific main plot.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Short but neat article on how Madhouse us using Unreal Engine 4 to develop the background in No Guns Life and how it helped streamline a faster anime production cycle https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/spotlights/cyclone-graphics-turns-comics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1202873885831483392

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do we know anything else about this? Cause I remember hearing about this a while back, but nothing else until now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

It seems like the show suffers a lot from laser focus on the main character and her plot. Does the WN spend a lot more time just letting people be people, so they can show the audience their thoughts and feelings? Cause in the show there is an issue where how characters feel or behave is only really demonstrated when they matter to the specific main plot.

I would say so yeah. There's a lot more time spent doing world building, and there are a good number of POV chapters from other characters. The focus is ultimately still Maine and the effects she has on the world though, but you do have a much better handle on the other characters.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we know anything else about this? Cause I remember hearing about this a while back, but nothing else until now.

It's by Nakashima, so if you like any combination of Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, Promare, Ninja Batman, or Kamen Rider Fourze, you'll probably like it

The Code Geass movie (the actually new one, not one of the compilation movies) is out on home video and I watched it. It ultimately becomes fairly enjoyable, once the actual plot kicks in and not the "REMEMBER THIS?" bullshit, but there's a whole lot of stuff in it that comes across as self-congratulatory flag waving for a 13-years-late follow up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So hot on the heels of a second cour announcement comes the announcement of a Bookworm OVA

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1203935861978681344?s=19

It adapts one of the POV chapters from the end of arc 1, as well as another chapter from aaaallll the way in arc 3; a chapter I don't think I've reached quite yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_twitter_news

New key visual and character designs. It's being directed by Yoh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...cr_twitter_news

New key visual and character designs. It's being directed by Yoh.

So it's going to be about... werewolf basketball? Fair enough, then.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sounds like a good idea to me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I, for one, endorse Trigger's reimagining of Air Bud.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Code Geass movie (the actually new one, not one of the compilation movies) is out on home video and I watched it. It ultimately becomes fairly enjoyable, once the actual plot kicks in and not the "REMEMBER THIS?" bullshit, but there's a whole lot of stuff in it that comes across as self-congratulatory flag waving for a 13-years-late follow up.

Do they make it worth retconning having Lelouch seemingly go total dictator so he can bind up all the world's problems around himself and fix them in one stroke by getting himself assassinated by 'Zero'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Riding the Beastars wave, I see.