Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Same price as buying a same size box of knox anywhere else I shop. If it screws up my oil that'll be the bigger expense since its peanut. But W/E its science time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sextro posted:

Going to try the gelatin oil cleaning trick, but for some reason the grocery I shop at most of the time doesn't carry any gelatin just Bakol vegan stuff. Anyone try using this?
I know agar works so there are vegan possibilities. Dunno if Bakol works.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There's sugar in bakol as the 1st ingredient :ohdear: not sure how bad that is, it wouldn't be able to dissolve in oil so no biggie?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So after letting it set overnight

https://www.amazon.com/Bakol-Jel-De...HY2QG6J5HD6Y1P9

this stuff turned the entire batch of oil into weird chicken scented jel. Guess I'll try agar next.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm thinking about asking for a sausage grinder/stuffer attachment for my KitchenAid for Christmas. How steep is the learning curve/PITA factor for this kind of thing, especially for one person to operate? And can I make cured sausage without any additional equipment? I'm otherwise pretty competent in the kitchen but don't want some gadget taking up space I'll never feel like using.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Anyone have good ideas for sprucing up canned tuna? I usually add a chopped onion, half a lemon, garlic salt, soy sauce, some good brown mustard, a bit of hot sauce and lots of mayo, and it turns out really good, but there is always room for improvement.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Anyone have good ideas for sprucing up canned tuna? I usually add a chopped onion, half a lemon, garlic salt, soy sauce, some good brown mustard, a bit of hot sauce and lots of mayo, and it turns out really good, but there is always room for improvement.

Dill
Capers
Olives

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Green apple and onion

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

green onion, sesame oil and kewpie and then shoving it into an onigiri

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone have a recommendation for preparing pork belly? I got some good recommendations from Grand Fromage in the Japanese cooking thread but I figured I'd ask here too. If it matters the belly came pre sliced.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

DildenAnders posted:

First, not to patronize you, but the solid white tuna is definitely worth the extra cost.

From there, I like to add harissa, minced onion, and capers. I'm trying to copy a Libyan-style tuna fish, written about movingly here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DildenAnders posted:

Take your recipe, add some chopped walnuts or pecan, sesame oil, a pinch of sugar, rice vinegar and some cilantro. Lose the Mayo, use sesame and some soybean oil instead. Top with green onion slices

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for preparing pork belly? I got some good recommendations from Grand Fromage in the Japanese cooking thread but I figured I'd ask here too. If it matters the belly came pre sliced.

I suppose that depends on what your doing with it. I usually use my pork belly for ramen. It's done via a 16 hr sous vide cook. I can write up the recipe if you are interested. Other than that you could make chicharrones if you have a decent fat/meat ratio.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

sterster posted:

I suppose that depends on what your doing with it. I usually use my pork belly for ramen. It's done via a 16 hr sous vide cook. I can write up the recipe if you are interested. Other than that you could make chicharrones if you have a decent fat/meat ratio.

No not right now. Maybe in the future for sure. I'm trying to make it more of a main dish. I was thinking about char siu actually as a strong possibility.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

I use shallots, celery, lemon, mustard, mayo and a hefty glug of fish sauce.

but now I'm curious about these options using sesame oil

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The recipe my favorite bagel shop uses is just salt, pepper, white pepper, duke's mayo, carrots, and celery. When I do it at home I tend to follow the same recipe and will only really introduce new flavors via tweeking homemade mayo.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Cajun cooking question! I followed this recipe to attempt to make eteouffee (mostly, I cooked the shrimp separately and just put it on top when I served it so I can just quick cook up some shrimp anew when I eat leftovers and not worry about over cooking the shrimp when reheating). It's... bland. It could be older spices just lacking their flavor, it could be that I underseasoned at the end but for people familiar with cajun cooking is there anything lacking in this recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Re: Food Processors

Older and cheaper kitchen appliances use acrylic as their clear plastic. They will crack over the years in the dishwasher.

Newer and higher end kitchen appliances use Tritan, which is dishwasher proof.

Breville appliances and newer Vitamixes/Kitchen-Aids/Cuisinarts use tritan. Look up product descriptions if you wanna be able to machine wash your junk

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 9, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks like the right types of flavors but nowhere near enough of them to me.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Lots of good suggestions. I'll have to try capers. Would a normal supermarket sell fish/oyster sauce or would I have to go to a fancy one for that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Lots of good suggestions. I'll have to try capers. Would a normal supermarket sell fish/oyster sauce or would I have to go to a fancy one for that?

These days you can get it at most supermarkets, but you might only have one or two options. And some goons are very particular about their brand of fish sauce!
I usually buy a big bottle at Kam Man, and it lasts me for a year or so, I don't really go through it that fast.

I feel like Oyster sauce is a little more common?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Thank goodness for tater mits!

On the too many vegetables, thing, though - remember that there is not a single vegetable that exists which cannot be stir fried or kimcheed to great effect.

Pickling is always a good answer. Haven't tried celery, but pickled carrots are good in a weird way.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Liquid Communism posted:

Pickling is always a good answer. Haven't tried celery, but pickled carrots are good in a weird way.

Pickled carrots are just plain good :)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I need suggestions for something tasty, easy, and requiring very little chopping/dicing/dexterity as I have one arm in a cast for the next week.

Bonus points for stuff I can make big batches of to minimize the amount of dishes I have to wash.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Off arm or primary?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

toplitzin posted:

Off arm or primary?

Off arm, but it's my wrist to my bicep so it's hard to hold food stable like for dicing/cutting.

It's also wrapped around my palm so I gotta keep it clean.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TofuDiva posted:

Pickled carrots are just plain good :)

Yeah. I like doing a rice vinegar quick pickle with sliced cucumbers and shredded carrots and onions.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Annath posted:

Off arm, but it's my wrist to my bicep so it's hard to hold food stable like for dicing/cutting.

Ouch. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

Chili comes to mind, or rice/barley with the protein and veggies of your choice, or noodles/dumplings if you like them. Some groceries do have frozen pre-chopped onions, so that might help if you want to make soup. Frozen onions are not nearly as good as fresh, but they'll do in a pinch.

When I had a shoulder injury years ago I would occasionally make a one-pot dish using whole small onions, loads of baby carrots and whole fingerling potatoes, frozen peas, and pre-cut stewing beef, with whatever other veggies and herbs happened to be available that day.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Annath posted:

Chole masala. Make a big batch, eat it with rice or bread. Bit of yogurt and lemon juice. Filling and delicious!

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/punjabi-chole-chickpeas-curry/

I also just ate this for lunch

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

TofuDiva posted:

Ouch. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

Chili comes to mind, or rice/barley with the protein and veggies of your choice, or noodles/dumplings if you like them. Some groceries do have frozen pre-chopped onions, so that might help if you want to make soup. Frozen onions are not nearly as good as fresh, but they'll do in a pinch.

When I had a shoulder injury years ago I would occasionally make a one-pot dish using whole small onions, loads of baby carrots and whole fingerling potatoes, frozen peas, and pre-cut stewing beef, with whatever other veggies and herbs happened to be available that day.

Thanks! I picked up some pre diced veggies and stew beef and threw them in the slow cooker with some beer and Worcestershire sauce, so hopefully it turns out well!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
What are y’all’s favorite trashy appetizer or potluck dishes? Like, on the level of little smokies, pigs in a blanket, cheese balls, biscuit dough pizza knots, etc. We’ve done classier recipes for game nights before but the trashy stuff is always more popular.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love me some fuckin queso or french onion dip

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Def Lil Smokies or those meatballs in grape jelly barbecue.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

5-7 layer dip

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Port wine cheese

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Wings of the buffalo

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Annath posted:

Thanks! I picked up some pre diced veggies and stew beef and threw them in the slow cooker with some beer and Worcestershire sauce, so hopefully it turns out well!

Sounds great, I'm sure it will!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will HAM on some pigs in a blanket

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Annath posted:

I need suggestions for something tasty, easy, and requiring very little chopping/dicing/dexterity as I have one arm in a cast for the next week.

Bonus points for stuff I can make big batches of to minimize the amount of dishes I have to wash.

Any type of blended soup comes to mind.
Assuming you've mastered cracking eggs one handed: eggs + pre-diced/shredded ingredients.

bartlebee posted:

What are y’all’s favorite trashy appetizer or potluck dishes? Like, on the level of little smokies, pigs in a blanket, cheese balls, biscuit dough pizza knots, etc. We’ve done classier recipes for game nights before but the trashy stuff is always more popular.

Beer cheese soup. Pizza sliders. Deviled eggs with bacon.

Back when I was a broke grad student, home made hard candy was always a hit because people who've never made it have typically never had it before. (Bonus points for mixed, complementary flavors like vanilla and orange.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Cheese dip with some tortilla chips. I could have stood over the crockpot pounding chip after chip.
This is titled 'Epic Cheese Dip' in my recipe folder.
Ingredients:
1 large block Velvita cheese
1 small green bell pepper
1 small white onion
2 cans Rotell (1 mild & 1 hot) Drained
1 packet taco seasoning
1 lb hamburger meat
2 bags tortilla chips
Directions:
Cube Velvita and put in crock pot. Turn crock pot on high until cheese melts and then reduce temperature to low. While you are waiting for the cheese to melt, dice up the bell pepper and onion. Brown hamburger meat. Add diced veggies and allow to cook. Now add the taco seasoning and follow the directions for it. Strain any excess liquid. Set mixture aside. Once the cheese has melted stir in strained Rotell and meat/veggie mix. Enjoy!