Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

bell jar posted:

it really would be better for everyone if nsw was just burned off the map

It'll burn away now, but it'll just be burning again in a few months. All this carbon dioxide is good for plant growth I've heard. At least we don't have those Labor death taxes, right? Especially with all the death we're going to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lid posted:

It literally wasn't.

Frag: I love you brother, but I'm siding with Dave.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Lol, bill and Morrison had the same amount of charisma, the difference was one got flogged by the media for six years because wrong team.

Your annual reminder that the daily terrorgraph literally ran a front page sooking that his mum wasn't that poor (eventually in her life)

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

froglet posted:

I thought it was a catch-all for firies, ambos and police.

I thought that was Emergency Services?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How great is breathing in smoke all day while fearing you might have to evacuate your home? I'm glad the government has provided me this opportunity.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the lucky country

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm in bushfire territory (safe but constant smoke for weeks now) and people still are blaming Greens, despite not having control of literally anything at any level of government for a very long time.

One client of mine said that if we stop selling coal to China they'll park a battlecruiser in Sydney harbour. Another said it's hypocritical that people protesting the climate haven't thrown away their phones.

My favourite was someone telling me that when he was in school a teacher told them every day the world would end by the year 2000 due to climate change and gave him the cuts when he (a primary school student) told him this was wrong.

Facebook boomers are real.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

do you reckon a lot of libs, nats and lnp voters are really just the epitome of the sunk cost fallacy?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Zenithe posted:

when he was in school a teacher told them every day the world would end by the year 2000 due to climate change
my dad did this to me and it was actually quite valuable because as 2000 disappears further and further into the past, i feel luckier every day

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

hambeet posted:

do you reckon a lot of libs, nats and lnp voters are really just the epitome of ciggie butt brain?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Grill'd story the CEO freaked out over has dropped

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/grill-d-over-the-coals-for-low-wages-and-food-safety-20191205-p53hbm.html

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

fauna posted:

my dad did this to me and it was actually quite valuable because as 2000 disappears further and further into the past, i feel luckier every day

quote:

August 29, 1997, came and went. Nothing much happened. Michael Jackson turned 40. There was no Judgment Day. People went to work as they always do. Laughed, complained, watched TV, made love. I wanted to run to through the street yelling to grab them all and say, "Every day from this day on is a gift. Use it well." Instead, I got drunk. That was 30 years ago.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor leader Anthony Albanese will warn a "complacent" Facebook is putting Australia's democratic values at risk, while urging all sides of politics to "step back" from social media and return to "rational discussion".

The Opposition Leader will on Saturday offer his support to the Your Right To Know campaign, promising a bipartisan approach if the Morrison government wants to change the law to protect press freedom.

While urging his political opponents to respect the views of the country's top scientists and experts on subjects like climate change, Mr Albanese will also call on progressive movements to better understand the viewpoints of those who feel insecure about change.

In his third "vision statement" since taking federal Labor's top job after its shock election loss, Mr Albanese will call for a "renewal of Australia's democracy", which he claims is under attack from secret government processes, social media and a decline in the standard of public discourse.

In a direct attack on Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, he will accuse the social media giant of failing to address the spread of misinformation and hiding behind its own community guidelines.

"Zuckerberg says he thinks people should be able to see what politicians are saying. But what happens when it turns out that what politicians are saying isn't real at all?" Mr Albanese will say in a speech to a Chifley Research Centre conference in Sydney.

"Facebook usually won't do anything at all. They'll argue that it doesn't violate their community guidelines. They say that so long as they eventually note the information is fake, the community can judge for itself."

He will say he was affected by "fake news" himself this week when self-described men's rights activist Leith Erikson used a doctored social media image pushing a "loopy campaign" against the Family Court.

"Unless you'd seen the original, there is no way that you would know the image was a fake. My words were replaced. The image even included my legal authorisation at the bottom – a clear breach of Australia's electoral laws," Mr Albanese will say.

"When we raised this with Facebook, they shrugged. They said it wasn't a breach of community guidelines."

Mr Albanese will also urge those engaging in the political debate to "think before we tweet".

"Take some heat out of our debates. Passion is good. Trolling is bad. It undermines the potential for rational discussion."

He will say in its seventh year, the Coalition government is at the point where it won't support freedom of the press. He will say journalism is "essential" to preserving Australia's democracy and call on the government to replace a "culture of secrecy" with "a culture of disclosure".

"Protect whistle-blowers – expand their protections and the public interest test," he will say in the speech. Reform freedom of information laws so they can't be flouted by government. The current delays, obstacles, costs and exemptions make it easier for the government to hide information from the public. That's not right," Mr Albanese will say.

"And bring in stronger protections for public interest journalism. Don't prosecute journalists just for doing their jobs."

Calling for "proper, grown-up, democratic" conversation, he will say expert knowledge must be treated with respect.

"Let's talk to each other with level heads. With reason, not anger. With respect, not condescension."

He says while Coalition members too often see climate change as "little more than a conspiracy cooked up by academic scientists to get research grants" those who advocate change need to understand the viewpoints of those who will feel insecure about that change.

"We must consider their point of view, their interests, their security, their future, their solutions," he will say.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Who goes through Australian customs and thinks “man they really need to beef up security!”

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Xmas lights up in Brisbane CBD last night were more eerie than cheerful due to the smoke haze. Was out at the UQ Gattan campus yesterday and two fires started not too far away in the evening.

This is horrifying. The Greens must be stopped.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You know I get that Facebook is bad but in a year where people are getting banned from capital cities, civil servants and journalists are being spied on and prosecuted for exposing government crimes, protests and gatherings being outlawed became a serious possibility, ministers are being openly corrupt with no repercussions, the ADF being able to be deployed against civilians domestically, media ownership is somehow more concentrated than before with just Murdoch or loving Costello being the arbiters and a government changing its ministerial departments around in a way that undermines the cabinet system I think our democracy will be fine.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

not sure if appealing to the mods is going to be a winning strategy for labor

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I do insist I'm happy to give Albanese atleast 3 years to develop.

His leadership and approval ratings so far are promising and he needs to begin the long climb towards PPM.

I think he is speaking the language of the so called swing voter but really, A shy tory is a shy tory and I'm sure the talking the talk ALbanese is doing has been tried and failed in other countries before.

Never the less, it's 2010 again.

Trains, NBN, ETS.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Amethyst posted:

Who goes through Australian customs and thinks “man they really need to beef up security!”

I went overseas for the first time in a decade for my honeymoon last month, and holy poo poo the customs at Perth airport is some full on Papers, Please bullshit now... wait, I say "now", but customs officers here have always been abrupt assholes who don't seem to comprehend that not everyone has the same day to day information/experience that they have and seem incapable of doing anything that might require them to crack even a half smile. But they seem even moreso now that they get to wear their AUSTRALIAN BORDER FORCE shirts.

Going through the same process on the way back from Japan? Very opposite experience in terms of tone. (aside from the occasional "SMUGGLING WILL TERMINATE YOUR LIFE" engrish posters) I was even a fuckhead and accidentally left an empty can of coffee in my bag and the customs person was all just "oh okay, can you hold on to it while we rescan your bag, thanks".

If the same scenario had happened on the way out I reckon I would have got the chewing out of a lifetime.

My favourite part though? Going through the "new" passport scanners with notices like "by using these you consent to your information being stored and used by ABF and other agencies..." and it's not like you have an option NOT to do that if you want to board your loving plane? (happy to be corrected on this)

tl;dr Australian customs feels oppressive and unwelcoming (duh), Japan customs was surprisingly chill? Go figure.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Someone who saw a non-white person make it through security without a strip search.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There is no way both Albo and Morrison last the next 18 months

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I thought the libs changed their rules so that an elected pm can't be spilled?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mattjpwns posted:

tl;dr Australian customs feels oppressive and unwelcoming (duh), Japan customs was surprisingly chill? Go figure.

this, except it was Singapore a few years back.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

bowmore posted:

There is no way both Albo and Morrison last the next 18 months

What makes you think this? (genuine question!)

I think the only risk to Morrison's leadership is an economic collapse and even then I wouldn't be certain that they just wouldn't wheel out the old "it's the other side's fault, can you imagine how much worse it would be if we weren't in charge" thing and the electorate will just eat it up.

Albo only seems to have an appeal to rusted-on Albo fans who are never not going to vote ALP anyway, but I'm not sure who they'd replace him with to make the transition something that would actually make it easier for Labor to form government. He was the "left" choice and the moment he got power he's gone all but decorum moderate.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

hambeet posted:

And Labor passed some rules in regards to this when Rudd got put back in charge. We're going to be watching two lame ducks squawk over the finish line, unless their parties figure out a new way to axe their leaders

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just need like 2 thirds to make a change for both parties.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

dutton will arrange for morrison to be the next holt

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Australian airport customs/security is just trying its best to be like LAX on a much smaller budget.

Like an off-brand Dept of Homeland.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

yo wtf mods

free jbp

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

if you reported jbp over that post, consider not posting here any more. consider just walking straight into the ocean and never coming back, you stupid piece of poo poo

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

lmao

don't free jbp, he'll be really agitated when he gets back

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

fuckin bunch of softcocks constantly reporting joke posts. just take that poo poo elsewhere, go post in the fuckin ocean

if you can't post in a macabre way all of the stupid loving untouchable poo poo that cops can do in this country, what the gently caress can you post

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

shh dear you're frightening the kids

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

i'm not scared!!!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The NSW Police Force doesn't need people like jbp leaking their operational plans.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
JBP should've sourced their quotes

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

Why? 'Cause he mentioned the cops?*

Is kicking the cops kicking up or down? Asking for a friend.

*Or was it climate change

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bell jar posted:

yo wtf mods

free jbp

setting up a eureka stockade in qqcs

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it is pretty funny that jbp got probated for that post, not one of his addled old-man rants about the heathen chinese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I didn't do it:cop: