Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Twitter's taking a poo poo can someone tell me what this status said?

Edit: twitter's done now I can see this.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

sinky posted:

Hopefully it's all the people calling Musk a pedo guy now we've established it's not libel.

so his name is officially Pedo Guy Musk now, right

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
huh so it turns out deborah meaden off of dragon's den is a corbyn supporter, not what I expected

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

huh so it turns out deborah meaden off of dragon's den is a corbyn supporter, not what I expected

https://twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1203030230769815552

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

oh no I was wrong

(I was basing my assumption on this tweet but yeah I guess it does leave room for the lib dem brainspiders
https://twitter.com/DeborahMeaden/status/1203030909722746880?s=20

Not even really sure how I missed the other one!)

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What a disgusting git:
(Sorry for not giving better comment I have a headache).

https://twitter.com/JulieAForshaw/status/1203099306267435010?s=20

IQ tests, really? What a wasteman. I was just watching Shaun's video on The Bell Curve which is related and a really good watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc7qBS1Ujo&t=3401s

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The AS stuff is a way of making sure any Labour coverage is tainted and negative. Doesn't matter if its effective, doesn't matter if the general population don't give a poo poo. Just so long as it drowns out any positivity and forces Labour to spend all its time dealing with the same topic forever.

It's also a way to dogwhistle Corbyn as anti white and push that he's in favour of the non white Arabs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Reverend_Makers/status/1203076614680129536?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's also a way to dogwhistle Corbyn as anti white and push that he's in favour of the non white Arabs.

this is a very interesting point and I don't think I'm the only one to appreciate the irony

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if joromy cabron becomes prime minisfer he'll put a diane abbott on every street coroner

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

this is a very interesting point and I don't think I'm the only one to appreciate the irony

There's a book to be written about how Zionism and the creation of Israel has been turned into a tool of white supremacy and colonialism that I'm not touching with a ten foot barge pole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

remember when Israel sterilised a bunch of Ethiopian Jewish women without telling them in order to Keep Israel White

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"I want to bring the nation together" and "I have a jar of Marmite" are pretty mixed messages.

I hope Corbyn is neutral on crisps.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

remember when Israel sterilised a bunch of Ethiopian Jewish women without telling them in order to Keep Israel White

A scarily common practice in "Western" countries. We're like 40 years removed from Canada doing it to indigenous women as well.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Apparently Netflix is going after that coveted "Jo Swinson's nightmare about post-apocalyptic squirrels" demographic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

A scarily common practice in "Western" countries. We're like 40 years removed from Canada doing it to indigenous women as well.

In Israel's case it's particularly stark because many right-ring Jews appear to present themselves as Schrodinger's minority, white or non-white depending on the needs of their present rhetorical position even where that clearly contradicts previous statements. 'Yes, Ethopian jews are Not Real Jews sterilise the fuckers... did you hear Jeremy Corbyn definitely wants to sterilise all the Jews the racist monster???' with nary a breath between them. It's frustrating, and it pisses me off no end that nobody calls them out, but I guess one reason for that is the right-wing don't want to because they're doing them a favour while the centre/liberal left are in an impossible trap. (In my opinion the only thing you can do here is go at them and go at them hard with zero hand-wringing, though I imagine that's known by some as the Williamson gambit and is apparently extremely bad for reasons no one has ever actually mentioned).

quick note also to say that while the sterilisation of indigenous populations is true, it is (with some major exceptions) predominately a colonial practice in settler societies when directed against perceived 'inferior' races. In Europe, similar practices were generally aimed squarely at poor/undesirable/criminal white people, which is to say that the first colony was not a geographical space but the local servant class.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think they read/watched any of it, honestly, the fact that I myself wasn't Jewish and was "lecturing" her was enough to dismiss it all out of hand and the links she posted from the Mail and Sun and Guardian were all irrefutable evidence so why bother engaging with me.

God, gently caress the Guardian going all in on this bullshit.

This might have already been said but tonight we recorded an episode of Praxiscast dealing with antisemitism featuring famous podcaster Nate Bethea from Twitter and TrashFuture, it should be live in Monday I believe and you can send her that, if she's willing. Keep the channels of communication open.

It'll be a good episode, we didnt really approach it as a debunk of labour antisemitism stuff, more of a general approach buy some Jews on antisemitism and politics, with some gentiles on to ask questions and be foils.

Edit: it's also gonna feature a sexy klezmer mandolin solo on the outro by yours truly so. Worth listening to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Gonzo McFee posted:

Same in the US - it went on well into the 70s. And then there’s this:

wiki posted:

In 2013, it was reported that 148 female prisoners in two California prisons were sterilized between 2006 and 2010 in a supposedly voluntary program, but it was determined that the prisoners did not give consent to the procedures.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
No, Canada is about 40 years removed of forcibly sterilizing indigenous women by legistlation. As of this year, we have been coercing indigenous women or doing it to them without their knowledge after a birth.

quote:

An external review of services delivered within the Saskatoon Health Region documented that 16 Indigenous women experienced pressure to consent to sterilization immediately after giving birth between 2005 and 2010. By early 2019, coerced sterilization had been alleged by approximately 100 Indigenous women, covering a period from the 1970s until as recently as 2018.

https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/sterilization-of-indigenous-women-in-canada

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

my 'favourite' horrific canadian story about indigenous people is one of the following:

1) an indigenous woman's body being wheeled in front of and paraded around a jury and her vagina publicly examined for signs of assault in a rape/murder trial. Like can you even imagine a white woman's corpse being treated like that jesus christ. Think that was from a zizek book.

2) an ex (white canadian) classmate from uni all but admitting that her brother shot an indigenous man in cold blood because he suspected him of trying to steal something and 100% getting away with it, then acting indignant and upset when we said her brother might be a piece of poo poo murderer.

Canada seems to be in many respects worse than the USA (at least there they don't pretend to give a poo poo)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Canada seems to be in many respects worse than the USA (at least there they don't pretend to give a poo poo)

Canadians don’t, either. I hear and read people complaining about First Nations all the time. They say they do, but this is like the democrats being shocked that trump could ever win.

And this says nothing of the utter crisis that is the missing and murdered indigenous women:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_and_murdered_Indigenous_women

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I liked my time in Canada and want to move back but yeah a chunk of the population are racist as hell. Had one person say to my face about how the country was "full" and there shouldn't be any more immigration when I said i was over on a visa. I'm not sure if she was actually angry at me or considered me "one of the good ones" because I was white. She was also in her early 20s, so it wasn't some gammon saying this either!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

painted into a coroner posted:

I liked my time in Canada and want to move back but yeah a chunk of the population are racist as hell. Had one person say to my face about how the country was "full" and there shouldn't be any more immigration when I said i was over on a visa. I'm not sure if she was actually angry at me or considered me "one of the good ones" because I was white. She was also in her early 20s, so it wasn't some gammon saying this either!

Theres a guy around here that wears a confederate flag hoodie. I’m guessing but don’t know that he lives in the apartment that has one plastered in its window.

Nighttime commonwealth chat no mods no masters

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Fukkin lol at the idea of Canada being full. Outside of a few major cities its thousands of miles filled with nothing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

this is all very true but canada does like to project an national narrative of 'the friendly america where all is peace and rainbows, hey we're all so polite why not come have a joint' and that's very self-conscious from the government level, whatever the reality on the ground

Random Integer posted:

Fukkin lol at the idea of Canada being full. Outside of a few major cities its thousands of miles filled with nothing.

lol quite

e: lovely though it may be in some respects though, gently caress me some of the landscape is incredible. I was in Vancouver for a conference and the city was very meh but the setting - all tree covered mountains and hills and lakes bigger than you can imagine in the UK - was worth the trip alone. BC wine was inexplicably great too but afaik doesn't really get sold internationally.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2019

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Random Integer posted:

Yeah same in Australia.A gigantic desert island with one of the lowest density of populations on earth and you'll see stickers with "gently caress off we're full" all the time and that's in the civilized capital full of graduates and progressives.Dont be a migrant lads.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Canada just elected a guy as PM who was caught doing blackface multiple times and he wasn't even the second most racist candidate. "Harmless, tolerant Canada" is definitely a deliberate PR line.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Random Integer posted:

Canada just elected a guy as PM who was caught doing blackface multiple times and he wasn't even the second most racist candidate. "Harmless, tolerant Canada" is definitely a deliberate PR line.

I agree

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

mediaphage posted:

Theres a guy around here that wears a confederate flag hoodie. I’m guessing but don’t know that he lives in the apartment that has one plastered in its window.

Nighttime commonwealth chat no mods no masters

I live in Leicester, England, and one of our neighbours had a confederate flag sticker on his car.

It was very :psyduck:

ThomasPaine posted:

e: lovely though it may be in some respects though, gently caress me some of the landscape is incredible. I was in Vancouver for a conference and the city was very meh but the setting - all tree covered mountains and hills and lakes bigger than you can imagine in the UK - was worth the trip alone. BC wine was inexplicably great too but afaik doesn't really get sold internationally.

Ya same with places I've been in the US. They call Montana "Big Sky Country" which seems like a completely nonsense phrase until you're actually there and you see the vastness of the place and you're like "Oh, huh. The sky is actually absolutely vast here."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I live in Leicester, England, and one of our neighbours had a confederate flag sticker on his car.

But it’s history, as my sister used to say

ThomasPaine posted:

this is all very true but canada does like to project an national narrative of 'the friendly america where all is peace and rainbows, hey we're all so polite why not come have a joint' and that's very self-conscious from the government level, whatever the reality on the ground

lol quite

I was in Newfoundland a couple of years ago and it was stunning. Really hoping to spend a week in the backcountry next year. Algonquin has an 80km loop that is apparently pretty great.

Also that projection is terrible for size

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 7, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I didn't find much to like in Leicester but I did like a pizza place called Peter Pizzeria

mediaphage posted:

Also that projection is terrible for size

Fair but it does kind of communicate the point, there is a lot of space (albeit lots of it uninhabitable tundra)

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Ya same with places I've been in the US. They call Montana "Big Sky Country" which seems like a completely nonsense phrase until you're actually there and you see the vastness of the place and you're like "Oh, huh. The sky is actually absolutely vast here."

There's a disappointing amount of people with Confederate stickers/imagery in Cork, Ireland because it's known as the "Rebel County"!

As for Canada, it was so weird hearing the "we're full" line when the country has a population of like 30 or so million? The UK has way more with far, far less land and it's still not "full". Who would have thought racists don't think rationally?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't find much to like in Leicester but I did like a pizza place called Peter Pizzeria

I've never been there but I've heard good things. Leicester's okay, nothing special but there are definitely worse places, at least it's not Gammon Central (I believe us white folks are now less than 50% of the population, which makes it a difficult place for racists to be very public) and the city council is currently 53 Labour and 1 Lib Dem :lol:

Plus being bang in the middle of England has its upsides, we're not too far from anywhere, the train links are passable, and most importantly, as I always say when discussing the city of Leicester's relatively short list of merits - at least we're not Derby.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Leicester's okay, nothing special but there are definitely worse places, at least it's not Gammon Central (I believe us white folks are now less than 50% of the population, which makes it a difficult place for racists to be very public)

You know that actually stood out to me. Coming down from Glasgow I was super struck by how many BAME people were about. There are plenty of racists in Scotland yelling about how many immigrants there are but gently caress me it is a ridiculously homogeneously white place compared to pretty much anywhere south of Yorkshire.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I just spent all night re-editing BBC's election night 1997 broadcast and put Corbyn's face over Blair's and changed references to Blair to Corbyn.

Let me know if you guys want it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

There's a disappointing amount of people with Confederate stickers/imagery in Cork, Ireland because it's known as the "Rebel County"!

As for Canada, it was so weird hearing the "we're full" line when the country has a population of like 30 or so million? The UK has way more with far, far less land and it's still not "full". Who would have thought racists don't think rationally?

Lol I've had people in Alberta say to me that interprovincial immigrants should go back to their own loving provinces and start cursing Ontarians and "Newfies" without a hint of irony. This is a province that 10+ years ago had a loving labour shortage that was being largely filled by Texas oil workers and the temporary foreign worker program.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Media bias against the Conservatives is the front page story in The Times today. These people are beyond shame.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hump day bitches! posted:

Yeah same in Australia.A gigantic desert island with one of the lowest density of populations on earth and you'll see stickers with "gently caress off we're full" all the time and that's in the civilized capital full of graduates and progressives.Dont be a migrant lads.
Desert being the operative word. I mean, you could probably make Australia work with significantly better environmental policies, but in its current form Australian society really wouldn't be improved by having a higher population at all. Not that the situation is necessarily better where migrants come from, I'm just objecting to the implicit "Let's just fill up everywhere with people" assumption in your post.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

peanut- posted:

Media bias against the Conservatives is the front page story in The Times today. These people are beyond shame.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Desert being the operative word. I mean, you could probably make Australia work with significantly better environmental policies, but in its current form Australian society really wouldn't be improved by having a higher population at all. Not that the situation is necessarily better where migrants come from, I'm just objecting to the implicit "Let's just fill up everywhere with people" assumption in your post.

People flying the rebel flag and the gently caress off we are full in the back on their utes dont give two shits about optimal use of space or resources , it's about being chinese or thai.They would be more than happy with increasing the population of white people.Eco fascism hasn't arrived here yet.