Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

lofi posted:

Getting the jaw/neck right from that angle is SO hard!

Every time I try that angle it freaks me out.

Hellbeard posted:

I like it.

Here's the guy from before with some soft shading on top and a bit of stronger highlights too. (and the eye socket was bothering me also)

Glad to hear! I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but that dude gives me strong Geralt vibes. The highlights look really nice, but I think you could make it stand out even more by cranking the shadow casting up to 11.

I'm still working on perspective stuff. Today, after some other sketches, I decided to engage MASTER FOV mode:

It's pretty challenging, but also kind of fun. Here's to hoping I keep the practise up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Hellbeard posted:

and a group composition:

:phone: Yes, hello, Art Police? I gotta report Hellbeard. Yeah, the guy cranking out new arts like a freaking machine? Well now they've gone and done a group pic in which a JoJo is the LEAST sexy character. Mhm, I know, it should be impossible, but there it is!

:phoneb: Ma'am this line is only for serious Art Emergencies, unless there's a Sonic OC situation or lens flares involved, we can't do a thing.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

:phone: Yes, hello, Art Police? I gotta report Hellbeard. Yeah, the guy cranking out new arts like a freaking machine? Well now they've gone and done a group pic in which a JoJo is the LEAST sexy character. Mhm, I know, it should be impossible, but there it is!

:phoneb: Ma'am this line is only for serious Art Emergencies, unless there's a Sonic OC situation or lens flares involved, we can't do a thing.

:laffo:

I have a podcast because now a days who doesn't, and I was trying to cartoonify the star trek cast so we could put videos on YouTube with something for people to look at. I started flipping through my avatar book and forgot about the cool rear end old yoga dude! I had to draw him. I had this dumb grin on my face while I copied his design before I jumped into the shower. I now know what artists mean when they say " I had a lot of fun drawing X". I never really understood that before.

Anyways any cartoonify-ing real people ideas that a beginner could implement would be appreciated as well as any feedback. Tried to keep it loose so I didn't feel like it was so important. It was fun and I don't hate some of the results.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 3, 2019

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Shinmera posted:

Glad to hear! I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but that dude gives me strong Geralt vibes. The highlights look really nice, but I think you could make it stand out even more by cranking the shadow casting up to 11.

lol yeah, I felt so too. I guess people sometimes draw inspiration from popular culture for their roleplaying characters. Especially the white/silver hair part which is in itself unusual for the witcher here.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The trick is to have a minimum wage graveyard shift job where you can draw while you work!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Animals, mainly various pencils.

Why do dogs have such daft long noses?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
a senator

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

syntaxrigger posted:

Anyways any cartoonify-ing real people ideas that a beginner could implement would be appreciated as well as any feedback.

Ok lemme lay down the best Art Hack right here: stupid loving chibis. They're easy to make and everyone will think they're cute, and they will love them and they will love you. This is essentially the pop!-figure technique.

I did Worf real quick since that's what you've worked on too. The process is as follows: I do a sketch as quick as possible, doesn't need to look like anything like the model. I do this because I find this the easiest way to identify the main characteristics, and to simplify them. Then you draw a massive round goddamn head, pop down huge eyes on it and then add in all the main features, in this case a ginormous wrinkly forehead and fetching facial hair. You might think you'd need to, like, change the eye shape or jawline or whatever, and you can, but get this: people are hella good at recognizing patterns, which is essentially how the pop! figures work. You don't need much for the character to "click".

Below, a random example to reitirate. Start with your basic bobblehead, try to see what parts make a character recognizable, simplify and exaggerate to taste and add those in. Try to keep detail to a minimum with the body.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I like this, but I don't understand where the light is coming from - best guess is the white speck behind her?

If so I'd do something to make it look like an object or spell effect rather than just a bit you forgot to paint over

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ok lemme lay down the best Art Hack right here: stupid loving chibis. They're easy to make and everyone will think they're cute, and they will love them and they will love you. This is essentially the pop!-figure technique.

I did Worf real quick since that's what you've worked on too. The process is as follows: I do a sketch as quick as possible, doesn't need to look like anything like the model. I do this because I find this the easiest way to identify the main characteristics, and to simplify them. Then you draw a massive round goddamn head, pop down huge eyes on it and then add in all the main features, in this case a ginormous wrinkly forehead and fetching facial hair. You might think you'd need to, like, change the eye shape or jawline or whatever, and you can, but get this: people are hella good at recognizing patterns, which is essentially how the pop! figures work. You don't need much for the character to "click".

Below, a random example to reitirate. Start with your basic bobblehead, try to see what parts make a character recognizable, simplify and exaggerate to taste and add those in. Try to keep detail to a minimum with the body.

Thank you for this it is super helpful!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phylodox posted:

And even more Not Another D&D Podcast fan art.

I'm actually really enjoying doing art again for the first time in quite a while.

Goddamn, I'm still at it! Just really enjoying this particular style.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Angrymog posted:

I like this, but I don't understand where the light is coming from - best guess is the white speck behind her?

If so I'd do something to make it look like an object or spell effect rather than just a bit you forgot to paint over

what if i told u...... i was very stoned when i painted that and that was indeed just a bit i forgot to paint over :blush:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Al! posted:

what if i told u...... i was very stoned when i painted that and that was indeed just a bit i forgot to paint over :blush:

Welp, it's the only logical place for the light to come from so...

Another light thing - I get what you're trying for with the blue on the pillars, but I reckon that there should be some blue around the flowers too?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Welp, it's the only logical place for the light to come from so...

Another light thing - I get what you're trying for with the blue on the pillars, but I reckon that there should be some blue around the flowers too?

yeah, i was planning on putting a magic lantern there but oops! it's just a doodle anyway

i think you're probably right, i was going for more of a rim lighting effect but really there should have been a bit more blue overall

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Perspective again. Skipped some days because depression is a wild beast.

Also made her buff because hey, why not. Buff ladies are cool!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
a december prompt: "bag"

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
aaaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA

Gods it's so rushed but I just needed to quickly draw something, anything, for myself before I go nuts.

Batbutt it is.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Dumping some oil painterings and ink drawins.

don't got time for no resizing.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Cartyisme posted:

Sweet. I like the shading / color. I want to call it cel-shading but I guess I mean limited gamut? What do you call it? catch my drift?

Here's a bunch of recent stuff and a work in progress.
The wip I thought I'd color later but I'm not so sure now. I think I'll try to take it as far as I can in monochrome and then think about it. idk
Is there any recommended method of coloring a value drawing? Maybe it's a bad idea to begin with and I should have worked in color from the get-go?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I really like this one

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Baby's First Figure Drawing Trip Report

So I just rolled up with a drawing pad and some pencils. A lot of what I would think are the 'good spots' were already taken and I ended up with sort of a weird angle. The model was pretty and clothed but I still felt weird taking her picture even though I had to sign some sort of sheet? I dunno it felt like I would just do what I could with the pose in the time alotted.

I expected to have a sort of group of different standing poses for a short period of time for a warm up then progressively longer poses. Basically like this site does when you pick the class option https://line-of-action.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing. That wasn't the case. It was one pose for something like 20 or 40 mins then the model took a break. It was a laying down pose and I think she fell asleep at one point heh.

I tried an overhand grip but after about 1 hour in my shoulder started to bother me. At around the 1.5 mark I got frustrated and just left. I feel like I need to have a better handle on proportion, perspective, and how squishy forms deform when being pressed on something like a pillow before I try again.

I felt like I got the rough shape of the model's pose but I had problems with her foot. It was kinda curled and curved. I feel like I got the hand over her stomach pretty decent

I decided to say screw it and just focus on her face/shoulders. Her cheek that was pressed against the pillow was really hard to get right and my proportion and perspective kept messing up. I was basically positioned at her feet looking 'up' at her chin and that kept messing with my head. She had a pointy nose and it was hard to judge how to draw that in relation to the eyes and lips.

This is me trying the body again, getting frustrated by the details then quitting :( . My shoulder kinda hurts. I guess I need to build up my endurance for this sort of thing

Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 7, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

Sweet. I like the shading / color. I want to call it cel-shading but I guess I mean limited gamut? What do you call it? catch my drift?

The wip I thought I'd color later but I'm not so sure now. I think I'll try to take it as far as I can in monochrome and then think about it. idk
Is there any recommended method of coloring a value drawing? Maybe it's a bad idea to begin with and I should have worked in color from the get-go?

I like these the most. I love the duck. The ink lines with varying line weight is pretty rad! The shading on the middle one is pretty neat. I feel like I have seen that before, that creature, but I can't place it.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

Hellbeard posted:

I remember you! I dig the artwork, the duck is great, your style as a contemporary/internet Noir feel. The grappling between the loose lines and clear definition really works for you.

As to your comments/questions about color, to be clear I'm no expert, I'm usually thinking exclusively in color from the start if I'm working with color. If it's not a black line it's just another color. Then again a lot of comics aren't thought out in color necessarily but they still manage to pop. I guess I'd say there's a sort of logic to it? Throwing down some color under a line drawing will always seem secondary. But when you think it out and put colors in competition with each other it starts to pop a bit more. Like that snake head for example. The lips are red playing off the cool green. The green is tinted more and more yellow with the light which compliments the purple shadow and the hard yellow highlights work with the orange to pop off the cool blues in the bg. The colors sort of play off each other.... "Who's on first?" Hope this sort of makes sense.

Someone once suggested a long time ago that I make paintings and mix color without ever using a black. Probably one of the more helpful suggestions I've been given. Purposefully leaving black off your palette seemed counter-intuitive until I did it long enough to realize you almost never need it.

Cartyisme fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 7, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

Maybe you missed the warm-up bit?

Were you standing or sitting?

Re. Stamina that is just practice - muscles used in new ways do tend to complain.

If they don't do warm-up, you could take a smaller back up pad and move yourself around to get different views, and when they change pose speak up and ask for her to face the direction you want, or even the length of pose that you want.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 7, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cartyisme posted:

I got serious linework envy! What brush are you using?

syntaxrigger posted:

You're working really small there, I'd try to go a lot bigger - a page per drawing. The session sounds unusual (compared to my experience), but long pose is good, gives you lots of time to play with different ideas. Well done on going!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

syntaxrigger posted:

I tried an overhand grip but after about 1 hour in my shoulder started to bother me. At around the 1.5 mark I got frustrated and just left. I feel like I need to have a better handle on proportion, perspective, and how squishy forms deform when being pressed on something like a pillow before I try again.

I felt like I got the rough shape of the model's pose but I had problems with her foot. It was kinda curled and curved. I feel like I got the hand over her stomach pretty decent

This is me trying the body again, getting frustrated by the details then quitting :( . My shoulder kinda hurts. I guess I need to build up my endurance for this sort of thing

You did great for your first attempt. It's hard to dive in and just go for it, but this is how you learn the proportion and perspectives and squishiness - by observing. You might not notice it, but your second attempt at the body was already better in terms of drawing what you see rather than what your brain wants to see - look at the lower line of the torso on your first attempt where you've curved it inward (because that's what a waist does, says your brain, and it ends up looking flat) and compare it with the second, where you've gone with the shape of the torso. The overall construction of the shapes is much more solid in the second.
You did get the dreaded position of looking up at a chin, which - as Shinmera and lofi JUST mentioned here - terrifies seasoned artists as well, me included.

As for your shoulder hurt, there's a few things you can do about this although when starting out, there's gonna be some strain on all the muscles that aren't used to drawing. When you feel strain, try to straighten up your posture and pull back your shoulders so you're not extending your shoulderbone from your side and letting your arm hang in front of you with its full weight. If the seats (or your body) allow it at all, sit cross-legged, propping up one leg so you can use it as an arm rest. If possible, try not to let your neck extend too far in front of you, because hanging the weight of your entire head forward also affects your shoulders. Try to keep the neck upright, and tilt your head instead. If you need to get closer to the paper, bring the paper up to you (by propping it against your legs, using an easel - whatever works). Then look around at the hunchbacked artist who are always in pain because no-one remembers ergonomics.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Maybe you missed the warm-up bit?

Were you standing or sitting?

Re. Stamina that is just practice - muscles used in new ways do tend to complain.

If they don't do warm-up, you could take a smaller back up pad and move yourself around to get different views, and when they change pose speak up and ask for her to face the direction you want, or even the length of pose that you want.

I was sitting for the first bit then I tried standing, that felt a bit better. I wanted a better angle. I got there before the model did so I don't know what the structure of the event normally is. I did just make some marks on the page with an overhand grip because I am not used to using it. I do like how it seems easier to make long arched lines.

lofi posted:

I got serious linework envy! What brush are you using?

You're working really small there, I'd try to go a lot bigger - a page per drawing. The session sounds unusual (compared to my experience), but long pose is good, gives you lots of time to play with different ideas. Well done on going!

Good to know. I felt like I was going big but I can see how I can go bigger. Thanks

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You did great for your first attempt. It's hard to dive in and just go for it, but this is how you learn the proportion and perspectives and squishiness - by observing. You might not notice it, but your second attempt at the body was already better in terms of drawing what you see rather than what your brain wants to see - look at the lower line of the torso on your first attempt where you've curved it inward (because that's what a waist does, says your brain, and it ends up looking flat) and compare it with the second, where you've gone with the shape of the torso. The overall construction of the shapes is much more solid in the second.
You did get the dreaded position of looking up at a chin, which - as Shinmera and lofi JUST mentioned here - terrifies seasoned artists as well, me included.

As for your shoulder hurt, there's a few things you can do about this although when starting out, there's gonna be some strain on all the muscles that aren't used to drawing. When you feel strain, try to straighten up your posture and pull back your shoulders so you're not extending your shoulderbone from your side and letting your arm hang in front of you with its full weight. If the seats (or your body) allow it at all, sit cross-legged, propping up one leg so you can use it as an arm rest. If possible, try not to let your neck extend too far in front of you, because hanging the weight of your entire head forward also affects your shoulders. Try to keep the neck upright, and tilt your head instead. If you need to get closer to the paper, bring the paper up to you (by propping it against your legs, using an easel - whatever works). Then look around at the hunchbacked artist who are always in pain because no-one remembers ergonomics.

Thanks. I guess that makes sense. I felt like my mind was wrestling with perspective, deformed shapes, and proportion all at the same time. I thought that if I at least had proportion and perspective more natural then I'd only be wrestling with one thing. I dunno. It makes sense drawing from life would be the better way to go. Yeah I do felt like some of my marks were a lot better on the second attempt. When I got frustrated I sort of felt like a runner that has no more gas in the tank. Like I could sort of force myself to go forward but I was running on fumes and maybe that was partly why I was getting frustrated. I think next time I will get some of that news paper stuff and charcoal sticks and some bottled water and a rag. All things I wouldn't have minded having.

Also the guy running this was legit a hunchbacked artist. I felt bad. I definitely want to keep my posture as good as possible. I have already had a herniated disk that needed removing so miss me with that hunchbacked nonsense!

Thanks for the feedback!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

syntaxrigger posted:

I was sitting for the first bit then I tried standing, that felt a bit better. I wanted a better angle. I got there before the model did so I don't know what the structure of the event normally is. I did just make some marks on the page with an overhand grip because I am not used to using it. I do like how it seems easier to make long arched lines.
That's weird then. Maybe speak to the organisers?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can we post sculptures?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Angrymog posted:

That's weird then. Maybe speak to the organisers?

Maybe. I'll get a few more under my belt before I go all Karen on them.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

I like these the most. I love the duck. The ink lines with varying line weight is pretty rad! The shading on the middle one is pretty neat. I feel like I have seen that before, that creature, but I can't place it.

:D thank you. The creature is from the Nordic Gamer Meme format I think it's a variant of wojak.

Cartyisme posted:

I remember you! I dig the artwork, the duck is great, your style as a contemporary/internet Noir feel. The grappling between the loose lines and clear definition really works for you.

As to your comments/questions about color, to be clear I'm no expert, I'm usually thinking exclusively in color from the start if I'm working with color. If it's not a black line it's just another color. Then again a lot of comics aren't thought out in color necessarily but they still manage to pop. I guess I'd say there's a sort of logic to it? Throwing down some color under a line drawing will always seem secondary. But when you think it out and put colors in competition with each other it starts to pop a bit more. Like that snake head for example. The lips are red playing off the cool green. The green is tinted more and more yellow with the light which compliments the purple shadow and the hard yellow highlights work with the orange to pop off the cool blues in the bg. The colors sort of play off each other.... "Who's on first?" Hope this sort of makes sense.

Someone once suggested a long time ago that I make paintings and mix color without ever using a black. Probably one of the more helpful suggestions I've been given. Purposefully leaving black off your palette seemed counter-intuitive until I did it long enough to realize you almost never need it.

Cool, thank you I love the term "Internet Noir". I'm adopting it. I like the technique, it's fun for me to do. I'm not sure what to do with it but I enjoy exploring it.

I've had an idea for the coloring and how to do it. I'll put the black and white layer on multiply and lay down color under it and then merge it down and then paint over it. Maybe adjust the output levels according to the colors.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more weird landscapes

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Dregs posted:

Can we post sculptures?

There is a traditional arts thread which might welcome the content too, but honestly, I'm cool with any form of art getting posted here.
Next year I think I'll just name this the catch-all thread, it's not like we're in danger of getting the thread sidetracked with too many people posting off-topic when the topic is literally "arts posted here plz"

I wanna know how big that sucker is, though. And what is he made of? I've got a real hard time honing in on the material. Some sorta sculpty material? But that would be SO MUCH of it, that's like one million bux in sculpey.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

There is a traditional arts thread which might welcome the content too, but honestly, I'm cool with any form of art getting posted here.
Next year I think I'll just name this the catch-all thread, it's not like we're in danger of getting the thread sidetracked with too many people posting off-topic when the topic is literally "arts posted here plz"

I wanna know how big that sucker is, though. And what is he made of? I've got a real hard time honing in on the material. Some sorta sculpty material? But that would be SO MUCH of it, that's like one million bux in sculpey.

He is about 18" tall, you can get a sense of scale by looking at the spray paint can in the background. He is fired clay covered in acrylic paint. He is my Ceramics 1 final. Not outstanding, but I learned a whole hell of a lot working on him. He actually broke into 6 pieces when we bisque fired him. I put him right back in for the final firing because he was just too fragile as bisque. Then I used a whole stick of epoxy putty putting the poor bastard back together.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
So he IS freaking huge. I mean, I could see the lil bottles of paint but perspectives in pictures can be misleading. I don't know a goddamn thing about ceramics, did you do like a skeleton out of wire for him or something and he still fell apart? I remember doing some claywork as a kid and poo poo falling apart was on par for the course.

Anyway, me n my starter on our way to steal ur gym badges

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

So he IS freaking huge. I mean, I could see the lil bottles of paint but perspectives in pictures can be misleading. I don't know a goddamn thing about ceramics, did you do like a skeleton out of wire for him or something and he still fell apart? I remember doing some claywork as a kid and poo poo falling apart was on par for the course.

Anyway, me n my starter on our way to steal ur gym badges

no. I sculpted the bottom, torso and head separately and then joined them. But the bottom had mostly dried out and the top hadn't, so the differential shrinkage caused issues. Also he was just too heavy for his ankles, you can see that they are heavily built up with epoxy now. What a learning experience. I considered making a wireframe, but they can also cause issues since the clay shrinks and they have to be removed before firing anyway.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Hellbeard, there was a good post about digital coloring on Muddy Colors recently. For one thing, working from a colored under painting instead of straight gray is very helpful. Consider the color of the ambient light and make your tone drawing that hue.

Here’s the post:
http://www.muddycolors.com/2019/12/applying-transparent-color-in-photoshop/

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More perspective practise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Lot of good stuff this week!

I think I'll be able to have this Christmas card colored and printed by next week to sell at our holiday art market, but I doubt any of my friends will be receiving my card before Christmas.

Cartyisme posted:

Oh hey you're still around! You sent me an ink drawing of a hipster a few years back, just thought you'd like to know that it made it over to Europe and is still hanging in my living room. Glad to see you're still making rad art.

Please forgive the late-night working alone on digital art crappy lighting photo.