Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Between this election and the Musk libel case they really are going all out to prove that rich people can do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences, aren't they?

In 1997 nothing at all loving happened, alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hump day bitches! posted:

People flying the rebel flag and the gently caress off we are full in the back on their utes dont give two shits about optimal use of space or resources , it's about being chinese or thai.They would be more than happy with increasing the population of white people.Eco fascism hasn't arrived here yet.
That's not really relevant to my point. The fact that the vast vast majority of people arguing "Australia is full" are disingenuous racists doesn't change the fact that the basic assumption behind "This place has a low population density, so it has plenty of room" is predicated on the idea that humans should spread everywhere, with no concern for the environment and their own future.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In 1997 nothing at all loving happened, alright?

i was born in 1997, OP

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i was born in 1997, OP

I stand by my point.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

What a surprise the poll is just a large heap of parrots which repeat back what they've been told by the press. We tell you what to think then we ask you what to think and then we report on that to tell you what to think again. This is a productive use of everybody's time.

Owlie showing their bias here, IMO.

You'd have been happy if it was owls rather than parrots, I'm sure.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i was born in 1997, OP

This post makes me feel vèry old.

And I'm pretty sure at under thirty I'm one of the younger posters ITT.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i was born in 1997, OP

i can't beleive they let babys post in here

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

A Blair babby.

A blabby.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ageing is something that happens to the body, old is a state of mind.

That being said, I thought I had quantum tunneled into a kindergarten the first time I walked into my undergrad lectures this year, nearly floored me how young they look.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
At least something good happened in 97

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Another 97 poster checking in - I've been reading UKMT's for almost half my life now. Quite a run for a dead comedy forum.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Kurtofan posted:

I genuinely thought for a minute, "are twelve year olds allowed SA accounts?" but apparently they are 22

People born after the twin towers got hit will be voting in this election

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Oh great, we now have our own Poundland Russiagate, with the crack cyber security team of reddit identifying the nhs leaks on Russia because he spelled like a bit ruskie

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Are they getting their gaslights prepared for if the Russia report leaks?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get a distinct Ron Paul 08 vibe off of some Labour supporters now, and it's worrying me.

ShadowSpectre
Oct 6, 2016
Jeremy Corbyn: Yes We Can

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Probably already posted but the optics on this YouTube thumbnail are great:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm starting to get a distinct Ron Paul 08 vibe off of some Labour supporters now, and it's worrying me.

Can you expand on this? I wasn't really paying attention to the Ron Paul "phenomenon".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LordStras/status/1202894210376052738?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
mainly i'm just surprised people who weren't at least teenagers on the internet in ca. 2005 have even heard of something awful at all. i knew what it was because when i started out my Posting Career every message board was full of people trying to be like goons. you're not telling me this dead gay website is still relevant to anyone at all outside of it are you

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Maugrim posted:

Can you expand on this? I wasn't really paying attention to the Ron Paul "phenomenon".

Ludicrous over optimism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Angepain posted:

mainly i'm just surprised people who weren't at least teenagers on the internet in ca. 2005 have even heard of something awful at all. i knew what it was because when i started out my Posting Career every message board was full of people trying to be like goons. you're not telling me this dead gay website is still relevant to anyone at all outside of it are you

My Posting Career is a far right banned SA user offshoot lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYMzxA_U-c

This is a startling accurate simulation of what every political discussion online turned into in 2008. It's not helpful to this discussion but I giggle every time.

More seriously it's things like:

- constant online polls - which they brigade, then point at as proof of their guy's real popularity
- absolute refusal to understand the reasons why their guy isn't at 100% approval, other than "media bias" - real or imagined
- elevating their guy and his image way above what he actually stands for
- wanting a victory not for what good it would bring but for the chance to gloat at their political and press enemies and families

and a couple of other things that are much harder to pin down. Obviously there are some very important differences between the two, particularly the actual underlying politics and that this is a tiny proportion of Labour supporters compared to the vast majority of Paul supporters, and that the ratio of real to imagined bias is very different, but the tone of a lot of discussion last night and this morning, particularly on Twitter but also here, is veering dangerously into that territory. If anyone starts suggesting we hire a blimp to fly over polling stations I'll get worried.

I'm not being 100% serious about the comparison but scrolling past the third or fourth "real" poll being presented on Twitter as gospel this morning just made the connection in my mind and now I can't unsee it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

You know, it occurs to me that we really need the youth vote this election, so I probably shouldn't make fun of posters for being young.

And more importantly, they might make fun of me for being old :ohdear:

:corsair:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Labour has a far better chance of forming a government than Ron Paul ever had of becoming president, and optimism is required to keep people motivated. Feels more like the Obama campaign to me, with the strong ground game/50 state strategy/get out the vote efforts. I wish Labour actually had the funds to campaign at full pelt in every single seat!

What I really don't like is how similarly our elections these days are treated in the media to US presidential campaigns - it's really not analogous and I'm blaming Blair for it. Do away with the office of PM altogether imo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jose posted:

My Posting Career is a far right banned SA user offshoot lol

oh god that was a fun rabbit hole to look into on a saturday morning. reference was unintentional in case anyone's wondering

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Ludicrous over optimism

What's the point in being defeatist? If we lose we're going to feel like poo poo afterwards anyway and being upbeat is great for campaign morale going into the last week.

The last thing we need is a bunch of loving Eeyores out knocking on doors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
People believe cynicism and pessimism is somehow a more sophisticated political worldview. In reality it's usually the sign of a dullard

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

The line between optimism and delusion will be placed differently by everyone. All I can say is that everything I've seen ITT and outside it gives me confidence that we can win this.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

What's the point in being defeatist? If we lose we're going to feel like poo poo afterwards anyway and being upbeat is great for campaign morale going into the last week.

Yeah this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

There's optimism and there's delusion, and the people crowing about Twitter polls are definitely in the latter camp.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I registered when I was 18, and I'm still shocked that there are people itt younger than me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All optimism is delusional if you think about it enough.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Ergo calling Musk a pedo isn't defamation, right?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

All optimism is delusional if you think about it enough.

All thought is delusion if you think about it hard enough :psypop:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's optimism and there's delusion, and the people crowing about Twitter polls are definitely in the latter camp.

Who's crowing about twitter polls?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The only issue with optimism is that a loss will be that little bit more crushing.

I'd still prefer that over acting like it's all over though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Angepain posted:

Let's play, mostly. Got linked here from another site doing a LP-equivalent, fell into the SA rabbit hole because it's huge compared to most web forums. But that was 10 years ago now (oh god) - others just got on the youtubes these days

And yea, I don't think Corbyn can get more than minority government even if the predictions are wildly off (which I hope they are, but 2017 may be deceiving us)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it makes you happy and makes you do good things you can be as delusional as you want as far as I'm concerned.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And yea, I don't think Corbyn can get more than minority government even if the predictions are wildly off (which I hope they are, but 2017 may be deceiving us)

I still think a minority government would be a step to victory, because that'd be a good reason for a LD/SNP/Lab effort extend the franchise and block brexit in some way which would hamstring the tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
stop being optimistic, it's making some miserable people uncomfortable.

Jeremy Corbyn 2019 kill youre parents