Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What word best describes your year?
This poll is closed.
Twee 4 1.28%
Goose 34 10.90%
Strand 22 7.05%
Bowsette 115 36.86%
poo poo 46 14.74%
Kirby 31 9.94%
Sonic 14 4.49%
I told you I don't like these polls 46 14.74%
Total: 312 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s nothing funny about video games. Except the console named “Wii”, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jay Rust posted:

There’s nothing funny, lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I was, again, joking

So was I

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's a joke

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am getting a lot of strength from these borderlands fanfic authors who are writing new stuff purely to spite everything that happened in borderlands 3

gently caress bl3, i wish i'd never played it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Borderlands has a plot?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

something about this kid and a mad scientist who burps a lot

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like bl2 fics cause the game sets up the basic plot outline and it lets the author fill in and get creative with character interactions in between the main story beats, and the characters are interesting enough to begin with that you can build off of that easily and write some cool poo poo. also sometimes smooching happens.

then bl3 comes along and kills off my 2nd favorite character in a really stupid way so there will never be any closure to any of these stories and it’s pretty heartbreaking to be honest.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gently caress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's 5:21 AM est and I'm thinking about dumb poo poo.

Anybody remember Jingle Cats? This probably reflects more negatively on me than anything but for whatever reason Jingle Cats just makes me feel sad.

I've been reading through the white wolf/onyx publishing Promethean 2nd Edition book still, made some progress in it. I can't read it for too long or my mind starts going blank and I pass out. I've been thinking about how to create my own unique lineage for Promethean but while I've come up with the creation rite, I haven't come up with any of their abilities or personalities or anything like that.

A friend was telling me that I should go make a thread for the Promethean stuff in The Game Room subforum as a CYOA. I appreciate the confidence he had in me making an interesting CYOA thread but I was blunt and told him that I'm pretty certain that nobody wants to read white wolf/onyx Promethean historical fanfiction presented without any art to distract from the bad writing.

I've been having more bad dreams than usual lately. Ended up waking up screaming the other night. Not sure what night it was tbh, my sense of when day and night and start and end are very messed up. I'm hopefully going to be able to fall asleep soon and I'm hoping I can get through the night without remembering any nightmares and hopefully without screaming myself awake again.

Life is rough and times are stressful and I know that some of us here don't get along for one reason or another but I want to say that I'm glad we're still here and able to help and provide comfort for each other. I haven't been as active in here lately, not as much as I'd like to be, and I imagine part of that is because I've actually been playing game instead of just reading the forums and discord channel (or just being asleep like usual) so I just wanted to try and let people know that times are tough but that we can continue through these times together and that I hope all of you have a good and safe weekend.

Just keep on trucking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grapplejack posted:

Borderlands has a plot?

Regrettably

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

gently caress

I'm too tired :\

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Jay Rust posted:

There’s nothing funny about video games. Except the console named “Wii”, lol

lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kerrzhe posted:

then bl3 comes along and kills off my 2nd favorite character in a really stupid way so there will never be any closure to any of these stories and it’s pretty heartbreaking to be honest.

Character death is such a lazy attempt at drama more often than not.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Laughed super hard playing halo with buddies tonight for hours like the good old days. Video games rule :)

Halo had the greatest local FPS multiplayer/coop of all time. It’s a loving shame games just don’t do local MP anymore.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I was looking at a list of 2020 release and while the first couple of months will be pretty light (for me only Iceborne on PC is interesting) March is way overpacked.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My birthday is a few days before FF7R and I feel like it's very symbolic. I was a goddamn fool for FF7 when it was first released, and I'm going to be all over this expanded Midgar in a few months. I'm really hoping that it feels like a complete game and not just a 15 hour prelude to part 2 in 2022.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo had the greatest local FPS multiplayer/coop of all time. It’s a loving shame games just don’t do local MP anymore.

True. Me and a cousin used to play every Halo game almost religiously whenever a new one came out, playing and beating the campaign together was obligatory. And then Halo 5 came out and hosed a decade-long tradition.

Also lol at the Jesus game

May 8, 2006

Yeah ff7 came out and I basically badgered my parents daily for it/a ps1 until Christmas. Like writing it on all their grocery lists and trying to make deals to get it sooner constantly. Real annoying piece of poo poo stuff.

It was also the game that made me start wearing my glasses all the time like I was supposed to, instead of just at school, because then I could better appreciate the awesome graphics

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember naming the boy characters in FF7 after my primary school buds, and the girl characters after my primary school crushes

May 8, 2006

A friend started a game of Breath of Fire 1 and named the main character gently caress. He probably put over a dozen or so hours into the file before I got too nervous and deleted it because I was afraid my mom would see it and take the game away. He was real pissed.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would only rename the protagonist in RPGs except in FF9 where I restarted because I wanted to be Vivi instead of Zidane

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

That Dark Brotherhood quest that's a locked room murder mystery except you're the killer was pretty fun and mind blowing when I was like 14.

Like Oblivion was ugly, badly written, terrible to play, had some of the most stupid rpg systems ever and it's setting is the worst but yeah the ambition they had with quest design meant even though it often fell short, the quests were usually pretty interesting. Not really replayable, but I remember a lot more sidequests from Oblivion than most other rpgs.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think you’re right, I do remember a lot of Oblivion quests too, fifteen years later. The fake vampire hunter, the invisible town, Hackdirt aka Innsmouth, the painting world, the Ring of Burden in the well, the locked manor murders, the elf with the pet rats, the Staff of Scamps. It’s absolutely where all of the creativity went.

Kinda want to replay it... or at least watch some YouTube videos

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

LawfulWaffle posted:

gently caress me, I went through the trouble of adding Marvelous and Chaos Seed to my RetroPi but now my launcher can’t find them. I remember having a similar problem with adding Mother 3 but I can’t remember how I solved it. I haven’t touched this in so long I feel like I’m handling alien technology, and my fumbling around it going to format my drive or something. I’ve already lost the Attract Mode, and I don’t have a keyboard hooked up so sometimes an option will load up a command prompt and all I can do is kill the power and reboot.

Well, I figured this out. Although I had made box art and logo images for both games and clipped videos for the attract mode, I neglected to actually put the ROMs on the hard drive. I wish I had checked that before reading a dozen Reddit posts and restarting the system a bunch of times, but once they were in they showed up in EmulationStation right away, and a quick list generation got them in AttractMode and added to my favorites. Not that I’m going to play them right away; it was the principle of the matter that drove my obsession

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For some reason the one thing I remember most vividly about Oblivion is that one quest giver's line "Well I'm sick of it. Sick and tired, tired and sick. And perhaps a little drunk." with that slurred delivery.

It inexplicably pops into my head every now and then at random and I have no explanation as to why.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I saw a mudcrab the other day

May 8, 2006

i liked oblivion okay when it came out, i think that now while it has it's good parts it is a worse RPG than morrowind and plays worse as an action game than skyrim.

though while oblivion has an extremely boring setting in general, i think it also overall has more personality than skyrim, especially if you count the expansion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hated the first daedric portal quest and did all the content in the game except the main story i have no idea what happens in it after 200 hrs

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Andrast posted:

I saw a mudcrab the other day

Horrible creatures!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oblivion is great but it holds up really poorly unless you mod it to hell oblivion and back

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Obloomion

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oblivion to me was the "how far away can i be from a deer and still hit it with an arrow?" game

turns out: pretty dang far, especially with some improved archery mods. yes, i am sitting here shooting a quiver of arrows at a 2-pixel speck on the other side of the valley, why do you ask?

mutata posted:

Horrible creatures!

i've heard others say the same.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXaFARzFG3c

I hope you've all been paying attention cause there's now a mario 64 test

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want a remaster of Mario 64 for Switch, with the difficulty and assistance options from Odyssey.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Just finished Wandersong. It was great!

This game has far better writing than you'd think. Also manages to keep things fresh and interesting all the way through.

If anything, my two criticisms are: No pausing during story sequences and the first act is kinda dull because you don't exactly know what sort of game it is at that point. Stick with it, things get much more interesting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kerrzhe posted:

oblivion to me was the "how far away can i be from a deer and still hit it with an arrow?" game

turns out: pretty dang far, especially with some improved archery mods. yes, i am sitting here shooting a quiver of arrows at a 2-pixel speck on the other side of the valley, why do you ask?

Vanilla bow feels awful, imo. Skyrim's was a major improvement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh Humble...

Am I just out of the loop if I've heard of none of these games besides Tomb Raider ?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Horses themselves can witness your theft and report you to the authorities"

video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
you are out of the loop . Blasphemous is a great 2d game :v: