Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's obviously MacLunkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Cross-Section posted:

It's either Boba or Filoni's intentionally taking the audience for a ride

God I hope it's the latter the irony of his bumbling death vs his badass rep was awesome, he's loving dead and should stay dead(he's my favorite)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ming-Na isn't dead, she'll be fine after a bacta bath

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
She already came back from one gut wound in AoS, she'll be fine.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

PunkBoy posted:

Just noticed that the Pit Droids are cheating during the card game. :allears:

Kill all humanoids (at cards) .

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dave Syndrome posted:

OK, crackpot theory time.

Regarding the end of the episode: So far we've only seen one character in the SW universe whose boots make jingling spur sounds, or am I misremembering?

It couldn't be Boba Fett, could it? Most likely not, but then Dave Filoni has brought dead characters back before - Maul, anyone? - and if they should ever reintroduce Boba, this is the planet to do it on. Far-fetched as it may seem, it's the only reason beyond "fan service" I can see to set this episode on Tatooine.

As much as I bitched about all the callbacks (but like I said a lot of them were fine the problem was that almost every scene featured one front and center), and as much as I hate resurrecting characters that were clearly killed beyond resurrectability (Darth Maul), I kinda love the idea of seeing a Boba Fett Vs. The Mandalorian gunfight to the point of childlike excitement. Although it would take away from seeing the guy with a totally unearned reputation for being king badass getting killed like a chump.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Dave Syndrome posted:

OK, crackpot theory time.

Regarding the end of the episode: So far we've only seen one character in the SW universe whose boots make jingling spur sounds, or am I misremembering?

It couldn't be Boba Fett, could it? Most likely not, but then Dave Filoni has brought dead characters back before - Maul, anyone? - and if they should ever reintroduce Boba, this is the planet to do it on. Far-fetched as it may seem, it's the only reason beyond "fan service" I can see to set this episode on Tatooine.

I feel like it has to be (casting spoilers) Giancarlo Esposito's character at this point. This episode had a pretty specific mention that Ming-Na Wen's character has been on the run ever since losing her "previous employer" (presumably, the Empire), and this far into the season, I feel like we're running out of episodes for him to be introduced unless his entire role is just another one and done episode plot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just gonna echo what I said in the other thread (I still think two threads is loving dumb) - this was my personal favorite episode of the season. That was a pure western and I could do with a whole season of those episodes.

And to those saying, "only 90 minutes" - we don't know that. Lat week it was 43 minutes, this week was 37. I am hopeful the last 2 are quite long. Everything in this episode just loving worked. The callbacks WEREN'T excessive. They were in-universe realistic - all of it, nothing was excessive. Filoni know what he's doing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That was by far the most like what a 10-year-old me would have expected if you told me that someday there would be a Star Wars TV series starring a mysterious Boba Fett lookalike. I loved it. If you thought it was the “worst episode” you are insane.

Also they misspelled “Tusken” in the closing credits.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

If you thought it was the “worst episode” you are insane.

Nuh-uh, you're insane if you think this episode was better than the previous ones! :razz:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think anyone ranking them is insane. It's a tapestry

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nothing has topped SOOKA

I have spoken

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Personally I liked Sederis as an off brand Ridley.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Amy Sedaris is a loving gem and was perfect in this episode, the kid was the only weak point (acting not characterization) in my opinion.

Well and a waste of Ming-Na Wen.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

It's either Boba or Filoni's intentionally taking the audience for a ride

Spoilers for the Aftermath Trilogy written by Chuck Wendig

Boba is most likely dead, but even if he isn't hes not wearing the armor anymore. Boba's armor was haule out of the body of the Sarlacc by some jawas, and was then acquired by a "self-appointed lawman" named Cobb Vanth who planned to fight any attempts by the mining companies to reestablish their power on Tatooine with the Hutts gone. When Boba's armor was last seen Cobb Vanth was still wearing it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Episodes in which the Mandalorian spends an extended period away from his small adult son are weaker than episodes in which he spends most of the time with him.

This is probably only 1-2 episodes away from becoming my favorite SW property. I’m enjoying absolutely everything about it. It’s simple and clean and the Manda-Lore is fun and engaging. Teeny green boi is so unbelievably cute it hurts, I would die for this bb.

I love Star Wars content and ideas but the movies range from fine to absolute dogshit with some high points here and there. This show is just giving us the good stuff with no chaff at all and I am here for it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Servetus posted:

Spoilers for the Aftermath Trilogy written by Chuck Wendig

Boba is most likely dead, but even if he isn't hes not wearing the armor anymore. Boba's armor was haule out of the body of the Sarlacc by some jawas, and was then acquired by a "self-appointed lawman" named Cobb Vanth who planned to fight any attempts by the mining companies to reestablish their power on Tatooine with the Hutts gone. When Boba's armor was last seen Cobb Vanth was still wearing it.

And that was all in a book series, so nothing prevents Boba from reclaiming the armor, either through some kind of trade/deal or just killing the dude and taking it off his corpse. Or just getting another set from somewhere. There's clearly at least a few out there. It really depends on what they want to do with the characters.

Meanwhile even though a lot of folks are expecting some kind "Shootist" situation with a gunfight between Boba Fett and Mando, it could easily play out a different way. I'd honestly expect it too, since a simple gunfight would be the dullest way to deal with it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is feeling more and more like a very expensive network TV show. If streaming services wasn’t such a big thing, this is exactly what I’d expect to see run for 22 episodes on ABC.

The problem is that there are only 3 episodes left, and even if they are on the longer side, this season would have done very little other than introduce baby yoda to the world. Given the network TV style writing and pacing, the answers and new questions that get raised about baby yoda would make for a fine winter finale before the show returned in February for 10 more episodes, but whatever they do in these final 3 episodes will probably be really unfulfilling, given how little happened, and how much time was spent on case of the week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mando gets into a gunfight with Boba. Kills Boba. Takes his jetpack.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Josh Lyman posted:

People have discussed the Portal cubes that keep showing up in the background, right?

Naw, man, those containers have been around since Star Wars

https://youtu.be/GHFhp594RlU

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength

Captain Splendid posted:

Naw, man, those containers have been around since Star Wars

https://youtu.be/GHFhp594RlU

Aw I was hoping Cave Johnson got a new job.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Jerkface posted:

does not walk with spur sounds.

He absolutely has had spur sounds when walking in previous episodes.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I only just caught up on this episode and the last; as well as the thread. Couple of quick things that I'll sperg out about:

- The only people complaining about a woman being able to beat a man in a fist fight haven't sparred or fought against a woman before. I undertook MMA as a hobby for a few years and some of the worst thrashing I took were from a woman smaller than me. It feels like anyone complaining about that fight scene missed the clear exposition dump where they outline her significant experience in wet work.

- I don't know why some of you keep complaining about "fan service" when it's just consistent world building. Like someone else mentioned the change in the bar is meant to outline to you how Tatooine has changed, the same way the streets are emptier than we've seen before. It's not "HEY LOOK AT THIS BAR FROM THE MOVIEZ LEL". It's the same with the pit droids, they're barely a focus of any of the scenes and there's no looking to the camera, winking, and commenting on where they came from. They just exist in this world as a tool to help an older woman run a ship-docking and repair service. Are they expected to generate slightly different versions of these droids every time? It feels like when you travel overseas you would complain that McDonalds doesn't deviate from their standard restaurant design; even though there would be clear economic reasons why they're consistent. Assets are reused and repurposed all the time in the real world, so I struggle to grasp why you have an issue with the same being done in a fantasy western.

Anyway I'm still enjoying the show and while some episodes are weaker than others it's been a great ride so far. The heel turn was definitely a nice change I didn't expect.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

HppyCmpr posted:

I only just caught up on this episode and the last; as well as the thread. Couple of quick things that I'll sperg out about :

- The only people complaining about a woman being able to beat a man in a fist fight haven't sparred or fought against a woman before. I undertook MMA as a hobby for a few years and some of the worst thrashing I took were from a woman smaller than me. It feels like anyone complaining about that fight scene missed the clear exposition dump where they outline her significant experience in wet work.

- I don't know why some of you keep complaining about "fan service" when it's just consistent world building. Like someone else mentioned the change in the bar is meant to outline to you how Tatooine has changed, the same way the streets are emptier than we've seen before. It's not "HEY LOOK AT THIS BAR FROM THE MOVIEZ LEL". It's the same with the pit droids, they're barely a focus of any of the scenes and there's no looking to the camera, winking, and commenting on where they came from. They just exist in this world as a tool to help an older woman run a ship-docking and repair service. Are they expected to generate slightly different versions of these droids every time? It feels like when you travel overseas you would complain that McDonalds doesn't deviate from their standard restaurant design; even though there would be clear economic reasons why they're consistent. Assets are reused and repurposed all the time in the real world, so I struggle to grasp why you have an issue with the same being done in a fantasy western.

Anyway I'm still enjoying the show and while some episodes are weaker than others it's been a great ride so far. The heel turn was definitely a nice change I didn't expect.

From Reddit:

There was a comment that the New Republic has cracked down on the crime lords, and we know at this point Jabba is dead. Tatooine has gone to poo poo. Without the criminal trade driving traffic its a ghost town. A lot of the formerly flesh occupied positions are taken over by droids, and even the people who own the droids say they can barely afford to keep them running. Its some cool world building.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Jerkface posted:

From Reddit:

I'm just happy they still use IG series combat droid heads for drink dispensers.

Oh, and speaking of the good callbacks in this episode, the line "She isn't going anywhere, she has the high ground" is the first time a Star Wars property has put me in a state of uncontrolled belly laughter from the bottom of my soul. That was goddamn beautiful.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 7, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jerkface posted:

From Reddit:

There was a comment that the New Republic has cracked down on the crime lords, and we know at this point Jabba is dead. Tatooine has gone to poo poo. Without the criminal trade driving traffic its a ghost town. A lot of the formerly flesh occupied positions are taken over by droids, and even the people who own the droids say they can barely afford to keep them running. Its some cool world building.

2019 should be twice as crowded but everybody is on their phone.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I'm going to be super disappointed if Ming-Na Wen is wasted on a single episode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sammus posted:

I'm going to be super disappointed if Ming-Na Wen is wasted on a single episode.

So far all the interesting side characters we've seen have only showed up once, except for Carl Weathers, and I'm kinda worried that they're all going to pop up in the last episode or two in a really cheesy "the gang's all here" kinda way.

I mean, it would be better than just never seeing any of them again, but I'd really rather it be more organic than something like "Wow, it's you again! And you! And you!"

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If they really bring back Boba, I hope he gets completely clowned by Mando and falls back into the Sarlacc.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ming Na Wen is 56?? Holy smokes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sammus posted:

I'm sure she will show up again along with IG-11 :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the posts like “Sure were in Tattooine, but why would you show us a bunch of stuff from Tatooine instead of showing us other stuff!?” is insane to me.

Star Wars is about planets, often planets with weirdly homogeneous ecosystems. Desert planets, Ice planets, Naboo is like one big grass plain with a swamp.

People complaining that Jawas and Land Speeders are everywhere... so are HUMANS! Aliens travel to new planets, they bring their landspeeders with them. That’s not “fan service” that’s just using the stuff you’ve already made to appear consistent.

Mando hating droids because they killed his parents is excellent character dev and I liked this episode because it furthers Mando’s characterization as a mentor and someone who cares about the next generation of hunters and warriors.

Put me in the “I never want to see his face” category

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure she will show up again along with IG-11 :v:

Not sure how reliable IMDB is for this kind of thing, but according to its listings neither is coming back this season. Apparently the only other side characters that will are Cara Dune and the scientist who put the bounty out on baby Yoda.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Just Chamber posted:

Ming Na Wen is 56?? Holy smokes.
The elderly asian lady transformation point is getting closer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Where the gently caress is Bill Burr, he’s gotta be coming up this next episode

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

New episode was good and I'm a little sad Ming Na Wen was gone so fast. I still have hopes she gets patched up, because space adventure and I don't one care about RL logic. But it seems that won't be the case :sigh:

Still laughing at the few internet people who are hating the monster of the week- 30 min episode format yet still keep on watching.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Generic American posted:

I feel like it has to be (casting spoilers) Giancarlo Esposito's character at this point. This episode had a pretty specific mention that Ming-Na Wen's character has been on the run ever since losing her "previous employer" (presumably, the Empire), and this far into the season, I feel like we're running out of episodes for him to be introduced unless his entire role is just another one and done episode plot.

I think it’s this. She also mentions that if they leave now, they can still make her planned rendezvous and she can then pay twice the bounty on her head.

Also didn’t realize there were two threads. Guess I should lurk more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the posts like “Sure were in Tattooine, but why would you show us a bunch of stuff from Tatooine instead of showing us other stuff!?” is insane to me.

The show itself lends an opportunity to explore parts of known locations that we haven't seen before, but instead it opted for revisiting things we already know and love this last episode, i.e., fanservice, or callbacks, whatever you want to call it. The suggestion of Mando going to Anchorhead instead of Mos Eisley would've been cool—which also would've been fanservice btw. Even the prequels did this with Tatooine. They didn't just show us stuff we've already seen; they explored parts of the planet we'd never been to or knew of, e.g., the Mos Espa spaceport, Watto's junkyard, the Boonta Eve Classic/podracing, Tusken Raider encampment, etc.

The cantina and Tusken Raider stuff this episode does a bit of cool worldbuilding, but they're not without their obnoxious moments imo (kid sitting in Han's seat, in the same "foot on table" position, the sand people stuff being an exact inversion of Luke's first encounter with them). I've also never said the fanservice "ruined" the episode or whatever. Just pointing out that it was obnoxious to me. It was the weaker writing and direction (Filoni pls), and plot filler with a hook at the end that ultimately left me lukewarm. I still enjoyed it, but when pitted against the last 4 episodes, for me it's definitely the weakest outing of the season so far.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bust Rodd posted:

Star Wars is about planets, often planets with weirdly homogeneous ecosystems. Desert planets, Ice planets, Naboo is like one big grass plain with a swamp.

People complaining that Jawas and Land Speeders are everywhere... so are HUMANS! Aliens travel to new planets, they bring their landspeeders with them. That’s not “fan service” that’s just using the stuff you’ve already made to appear consistent.

This is also hilarious because one of the most pervasive internet complaints is “Why do they keep introducing new planets (Jakku, Nick Nolte planet) instead of showing us things we’re familiar with like Tatooine?? Disney hate Star Wars! Rape childhood!” This is because Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

This is because Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

Don't do this, that's lame toxic poo poo imo. Although I agree people complaining that Jakku and Arvala-7 being too similar to Tatooine because "DESERT PLANET?!" is dumb. But you can be critical of stuff you engage with and enjoy, even if said criticisms are dumb as hell.