Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In NGU, when you unlock beards is it best to start doing shorter rebirths again to boost their permanent bonus?

I'm trying to break into the beardverse in adventure, my NGU adventure is at 1000 and my advanced training is at 10000 and it's still not enough with a maxxed out megalands set. (i'm still about a million short in power and toughness).

I figure more BEARd levels are what's needed, though i have only been using my Yggdrasil seeds to upgrade the other seeds so far so there might be some stat boosting I've yet to tap into there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What’s your power at? Wiki recommends 1.3M and says it’s outdated and should be less now

Are you using the Adventure digger?

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Challenges with incremental goals (excluding Troll and Blind since Troll's purpose is to hate you and Blind changes with each iteration) should let you stay in the challenge until you've gotten as far as you can with your current stats. That way you've got the option to decide if you want the rewards enough to do the challenge multiple times as you get stronger or if you'd prefer to leave the rewards unclaimed until you're strong enough to get a bunch of completions in one rebirth.

Simple repetition challenges could be improved by providing an idle option (once you've completed the challenge at least once) that's extremely long to begin with (as in multiple days, possibly up to a week per challenge completion) and improvable with perks/quirks/AP. Again, the point here is to provide people who don't like the challenges a way to deal with them in a different way while still leaving the option of doing them the way they've always been in order to get rewards faster. Like with quests (at least as far as I've seen so far), even at max upgrades I don't think a solution like this should even come close to being as fast as manually completing the challenges would be, so as to give manual challenges a reason to still be done.

On a completely different note, this is a minor thing but is there or can there be a way to see the raw stats of the Cube? I'm at a point where my cube stats are limited by my equipment, and both hovering over the cube and looking at the stat breakdown only show the adjusted stats so I don't know how close I am to the next cube tier.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a few ideas about what could be done to improve challenges.

I think the biggest thing to fix would be changing 24 hour challenge to just be a record of your highest boss you can get to in 24 hours. Instead of running it tons and tons of times, you would run it every now and again when you can push a much higher boss. Maybe other challenges could be like this too, but none of them felt quite as bad(at least the basic ones or evil ones with rewards).

Another thing that would help out challenges is adding in a new feature(maybe added as a spell?) that would let you restore your highest banked TM/beard/advanced training levels. I liked banging out a few challenges over the weekend when I had more active time at my computer, but it always felt bad to lose all my progress. If I could restore that, it would be less annoying. This feature would naturally not be available for the challenges themselves.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Devor posted:

What’s your power at? Wiki recommends 1.3M and says it’s outdated and should be less now

Are you using the Adventure digger?

Power is at 1.5 million. I can snipe the bosses but it's pretty slow and the low drop rate for gear (even though I've got it boosted by BLOOD, ascended pendant, diggers and NGU) hasn't produced anything so far. I can only really snipe 2 bosses at a time before having to go back to the safe area to heal.

I forgot about the diggers. I've only ever used the first one which is item drop rate isn't it?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kin posted:

Power is at 1.5 million. I can snipe the bosses but it's pretty slow and the low drop rate for gear (even though I've got it boosted by BLOOD, ascended pendant, diggers and NGU) hasn't produced anything so far. I can only really snipe 2 bosses at a time before having to go back to the safe area to heal.

I forgot about the diggers. I've only ever used the first one which is item drop rate isn't it?

Advanced Training will push you over the threshold, but you have to let it run for a few days. Don't forget to take the Iron Pill regularly since it boosts your adventure stats permanently (a fact I've only discovered after two months of playing... 4G, you need to update the tooltip to emphasize Iron Pill is permanent. I know it's stated in the How To section, but I somehow missed it anyway).

Also, the diggers basically doubles your adventure stats. Once you can run the adventure digger, you need it on all the time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kin posted:

I'm where you are, about to push Beardverse, and my level 27 adventure digger gives an extra 37% stats, which should make it a lot easier

Up to you if it's better than the drop rate one to get the first couple pieces of beard armor

Are you manually fighting the bosses with abilities?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Been playing Wizard and Minion Idle, a game that draws heavily from NGU (and lists it as a major inspiration). So far I've unlocked 6 of the game's 13 challenges, largely analogous to the NGU Challenges in scope and execution. Their total clears are, in order: 5, 3, 2, 3, 5, 2. There's an emphasis on each clear having a distinct reward, and in some cases on top of that a static reward for each cleared step. This is, uhh, pretty great stuff.

Grognards getting grumpy over an overhaul isn't a good enough reason not to do it, imo. Just hand everyone who has cleared pre-overhaul challenges a Feat of Strength style achievement and call it a day. It's a real shame that newbie advice nowadays can include "yeah don't bother clearing everything in the Challenge, it's pointless" when challenges can and should be a fully worthwhile part of gameplay that doesn't just lean entirely on having the patience to grind it out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My biggest gripes are A) why are there 20/50/80 completions required for poo poo that has no progression and simply amounts to "demonstrate you can do this pointless busy work 20/50/80 times" and B) why in the fuckadoodle-doo can I not combine multiple NRBs together? If I can push through to boss 60 in three minutes, why do I have to "yes, I hit 37 while rushing to 60..." "yes, I hit 38 while rushing to 60..." "yes, I hit 39 while rushing to 60..." endlessly.

But 4G has heard all this bitching from me before so I'll just shut up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

Advanced Training will push you over the threshold, but you have to let it run for a few days. Don't forget to take the Iron Pill regularly since it boosts your adventure stats permanently (a fact I've only discovered after two months of playing... 4G, you need to update the tooltip to emphasize Iron Pill is permanent. I know it's stated in the How To section, but I somehow missed it anyway).

Also, the diggers basically doubles your adventure stats. Once you can run the adventure digger, you need it on all the time.

Ah, sorry, that's 1.5M with my advanced training sitting at 10,000.

I'll give the diggers a go as i've not really used that for adventure stats at all yet. Plus, the drop rate might be lower without diggers but at least i can idle it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kin posted:

Ah, sorry, that's 1.5M with my advanced training sitting at 10,000.

I'll give the diggers a go as i've not really used that for adventure stats at all yet. Plus, the drop rate might be lower without diggers but at least i can idle it.

You should have at least two different slots (so you can run adventure stats + drop rate at the same time), the first extra one from itopod is pretty cheap.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jabor posted:

You should have at least two different slots (so you can run adventure stats + drop rate at the same time), the first extra one from itopod is pretty cheap.

Aha, i just looked at those rewards. 25 points wont take too long to save up. I think i get about roughly 8 a day idling. I've been popping everything into the energy/magic bars upgrades so far.

Edit: Also, is the Iron pill a permanent upgrade to base stats? +150 or thereabouts is what i can get up to within 12 hours of blood magic but that seems like a pitiful amount compared to the 1.5 million i have with the other boosts and gear, etc.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 6, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's a reason there are multiple "The Iron Pill Sucks" perks after Normal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Aha, i just looked at those rewards. 25 points wont take too long to save up. I think i get about roughly 8 a day idling. I've been popping everything into the energy/magic bars upgrades so far.

Edit: Also, is the Iron pill a permanent upgrade to base stats? +150 or thereabouts is what i can get up to within 12 hours of blood magic but that seems like a pitiful amount compared to the 1.5 million i have with the other boosts and gear, etc.
yeah its base stats, but realize that buffing happens after summing up your base stats + equipment stats, so it still kind of negates the usefulness as it goes on without the itopod perks

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

KazigluBey posted:

Been playing Wizard and Minion Idle, a game that draws heavily from NGU (and lists it as a major inspiration). So far I've unlocked 6 of the game's 13 challenges, largely analogous to the NGU Challenges in scope and execution. Their total clears are, in order: 5, 3, 2, 3, 5, 2. There's an emphasis on each clear having a distinct reward, and in some cases on top of that a static reward for each cleared step. This is, uhh, pretty great stuff.

Grognards getting grumpy over an overhaul isn't a good enough reason not to do it, imo. Just hand everyone who has cleared pre-overhaul challenges a Feat of Strength style achievement and call it a day. It's a real shame that newbie advice nowadays can include "yeah don't bother clearing everything in the Challenge, it's pointless" when challenges can and should be a fully worthwhile part of gameplay that doesn't just lean entirely on having the patience to grind it out.

Yeah, this x1000. Challenges suck, please fix.

pixaal posted:

Suck kind of leave room to assume they ate just qorae than the main game. That is wrong.

They feel like a job, they actively detract from the enjoyment of the game and I dread doing more. The sense of dread from a game is generally a good sign it is time to stop but they are also laughably short and give good enough rewards that it is worth ensuring the torture but they are actively unfun.

Also agreed here.

Honestly here's the problem, they all feel like the Troll challenge. Having the Troll challenge be a kick in the nuts is great! Keep it the same, or heck, make it harder. But I'll tell you right now that doing TTC is WAY less irritating than the other ones.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 7, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, this x1000. Challenges suck, please fix.

Suck kind of leave room to assume they ate just qorae than the main game. That is wrong.

They feel like a job, they actively detract from the enjoyment of the game and I dread doing more. The sense of dread from a game is generally a good sign it is time to stop but they are also laughably short and give good enough rewards that it is worth ensuring the torture but they are actively unfun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The troll challenges are fun, and there are just about the right number of them. The blind challenges are fun, maybe there are slightly too many but they're also pretty good. The laser sword challenges are whatever, but you gradually knock them out while you're pushing to boss 301 so it doesn't really matter.

The other challenges are very tedious. And since they all reset you, you're incentivized to try and grind out a bunch in succession (rather than building your number and banks back up and then resetting them again for the next challenge), which is very boring.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Likely the reset is what brings up the dread. If I could knock a few out before setting up for a 3 day weekend run they would probably all be done even the 24h

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

In NGU, when you unlock beards is it best to start doing shorter rebirths again to boost their permanent bonus?

I'm trying to break into the beardverse in adventure, my NGU adventure is at 1000 and my advanced training is at 10000 and it's still not enough with a maxxed out megalands set. (i'm still about a million short in power and toughness).

I figure more BEARd levels are what's needed, though i have only been using my Yggdrasil seeds to upgrade the other seeds so far so there might be some stat boosting I've yet to tap into there.

missed this earlier, but beard growth rebirths are best done in 24 hour cycles to start off with and drrop down to 12

beards dont start generating stubble until 1 hour has elapsed, and even then there's a growth multiplier that starts at 1 and grows until 8 until 24 hours is reached (though this can drop to 12 hours via ITOPOD)

also permanent beard growth is the square root of your current run's beard growth, so it takes a while before it becomes anything substantial

Jabor posted:

The troll challenges are fun, and there are just about the right number of them. The blind challenges are fun, maybe there are slightly too many but they're also pretty good. The laser sword challenges are whatever, but you gradually knock them out while you're pushing to boss 301 so it doesn't really matter.

The other challenges are very tedious. And since they all reset you, you're incentivized to try and grind out a bunch in succession (rather than building your number and banks back up and then resetting them again for the next challenge), which is very boring.

I wouldnt mind the reset if the middle rewards felt more substantial, generally the only major milestones for a challenge are on the first run and the final run so you just get a bunch of incremental progress that while good, makes more sense to be compacted into trying to do just one block of runs

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Okay gently caress it i'll peg it onto an update post-christmas. For sake of sanity and generating the least gorgnard backlash i'd likely just condense all non-troll/blind/laser sword challenge to say, 5 completions each. Maybe 10 for the 24 hour one.

But the exile feature has to get done first!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

something posted:

Okay gently caress it i'll peg it onto an update post-christmas. For sake of sanity and generating the least gorgnard backlash i'd likely just condense all non-troll/blind/laser sword challenge to say, 5 completions each. Maybe 10 for the 24 hour one.

:thumbsup:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

something posted:

Just as I finished all 25 Basic Challanges, you motherfucker.

That’s like an Giga Troll right there.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Oodles posted:

Just as I finished all 25 Basic Challanges, you motherfucker.

That’s like an Giga Troll right there.

Post/avatar combo

also

the challenges definitely need some changes

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Unpopular opinion here, but I actually like the challenges as they are - mostly. They provide an opportunity to be a bit more active with the game, instead of doing the same thing each 30 min/hours/day (depending on stage of game) over and over. I find it feels like I'm actually playing the game rather than just idling.

I do think a few changes would improve them, most of which have been said.
- A few less repetitions wouldn't be too bad but I'd say at least 10 or so as the base for the basic/No Augment/100/No Equipment. This matches the later challenges like No Time Machine and No NGU. Maybe this goes without saying, but make sure that the total reward matches what currently exists - not just the permanent boost, but the AP rewards too. Challenges are one of the best AP generators early on and are key to get the important AP upgrades like Improved Loot Filter.
- For the 24/No Rebirth, I really like the suggestion that you can stay in the challenge to go as far as you like, and get the rewards/completion for each level you pass. Then it becomes up to the player whether or not they want to spend time now for a small upgrade or wait to knock out a bunch at once.

I think the challenges as a feature are a very important part of the game though - it gives a goal to work towards, especially the ones that give unique/special rewards.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I've always been a tiny bit sad that the Gigantic Flock of Canadian Geese wasn't followed by a Flock of Gigantic Canadian Geese, which, in my heart of hearts, would be followed by a Gigantic Flock of Gigantic Canadian Geese.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

mdxi posted:

I've always been a tiny bit sad that the Gigantic Flock of Canadian Geese wasn't followed by a Flock of Gigantic Canadian Geese, which, in my heart of hearts, would be followed by a Gigantic Flock of Gigantic Canadian Geese.

I would also accept a Gigantic Flock of Canadians shouting "Geese!"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mdxi posted:

excellent post/gangtag combo

e: :honk:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Untitled Adventure Zone

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I don’t mind challenges too much, like they are not fun what so ever but im not a person that compulsively need to have every feature completed. I went really hard on the troll challenges since they unlock actual good rewards but most of the other challenges i have at most done a 1-hour stint to get. I havent even completed all the normal difficulty ones yet, and im pretty deep into sadistic by now.

The common wish every time challenges are discussed is the ability to do multiple at once if you can go further than the requirements. This is a good idea but should also be coupled with challenges having bigger rewards, like 100 times the xp they give now or even more. This would mean the «price» for postponing them would be larger so that the decision whether or not to postpone them was more meaningful.

I can halt my progress and do a fresh rebirth into 24h challenges to get 3 million xp per completion or i can just continue on my rebirth and get 3 BILLION xp daily from fruit. I’ll stick with my current rebirth, thanks.
Challenges should reward literal billions of xp imo.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Okay I lied and belted this overhaul out today. The change is happening for this upcoming update in a week. There's an rc in my testing grounds on kongregate if you guys would be willing to test! Info on what i changed is on the dirscord but tl;dr:

All 20/25 max completion challenges are now 5
24hour challenge is now max of 10
challenges rewards all scaled upwards accordingly
no rebirth target got shifted up 5 on top of the scaling multiplier.

fake edit: your current completion counts will also be converted to an approximate equivalent, you MAY lose a little bit of bonus stats from said challenges depending on how it rounded.

any questions, just lemme know.

something fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 7, 2019

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Wow nice. Maybe this will make the rest of the evil challenges worth doing for a little AP.

As someone hanging around farming Exile V3 I’m very excited for the update!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gully Foyle posted:

Unpopular opinion here, but I actually like the challenges as they are - mostly. They provide an opportunity to be a bit more active with the game, instead of doing the same thing each 30 min/hours/day (depending on stage of game) over and over. I find it feels like I'm actually playing the game rather than just idling.

I do think a few changes would improve them, most of which have been said.
- A few less repetitions wouldn't be too bad but I'd say at least 10 or so as the base for the basic/No Augment/100/No Equipment. This matches the later challenges like No Time Machine and No NGU. Maybe this goes without saying, but make sure that the total reward matches what currently exists - not just the permanent boost, but the AP rewards too. Challenges are one of the best AP generators early on and are key to get the important AP upgrades like Improved Loot Filter.
- For the 24/No Rebirth, I really like the suggestion that you can stay in the challenge to go as far as you like, and get the rewards/completion for each level you pass. Then it becomes up to the player whether or not they want to spend time now for a small upgrade or wait to knock out a bunch at once.

I think the challenges as a feature are a very important part of the game though - it gives a goal to work towards, especially the ones that give unique/special rewards.

I agree mostly. When I was doing the no-equipment/no-augs challenges I was treating them as an optimization speed-run. But I think 15-20 repetitions for each is the right level, 80 is way too many, unless you can do multiple at the same time.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

something posted:

Okay I lied and belted this overhaul out today. The change is happening for this upcoming update in a week. There's an rc in my testing grounds on kongregate if you guys would be willing to test! Info on what i changed is on the dirscord but tl;dr:

fake edit: your current completion counts will also be converted to an approximate equivalent, you MAY lose a little bit of bonus stats from said challenges depending on how it rounded.

Nice! Thanks!

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
finally, twelve years of whining on these forums pays off

so how are the other lovely nerds taking this, anyway?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
direct action gets the goods

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

I've been procrastinating on finishing my challenges. Thanks for motivating me. I'm glad my intermittent bitching in Discord has yielded something!

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
yayyyyy peer pressure!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I can finally idle the Beardverse and I feel like I accomplished something even if I most definitely did not.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So the troll challenge is honestly the most anti-fun thing I have ever seen in an idle game. If your intent was to make me stop playing your game, you succeeded admirably. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

So the troll challenge is honestly the most anti-fun thing I have ever seen in an idle game. If your intent was to make me stop playing your game, you succeeded admirably. :)

Ironically, after you get more experience with Troll, it ends up being one of the funner challenges compared to the lovely grind of the other ones (see our constant bitching and 4g finally revamping them).

The general tip for Troll is to consider it a speedrun and that you should be knocking one off in 30ish minutes. 1 hour upper limit probably. Rebirth every Big Troll. If you can't do it under those conditions, quit the challenge and come back when you are stronger (more E/M and NGUs)