Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm a few pages late to the pessimism chat but I'd just like to add:

A necessary corollary of believing (correctly) that things are poo poo is believing that things can be better. There is no point in believing (correctly) that things are poo poo if you do not believe they can be better, because if they can't be better you have no framework in which to judge them poo poo.

That's all I've got to contribute to this.

E: 103% is the projected Lib Dem vote share according to reliable sources that understand it's not 2017 any more, god,

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nettle Soup posted:

My friend is worrying about a Labour government, because the house she'll inherit when her parents die is worth over 450k. Her parents are both voting Tory because of the marriage tax allowance thing, inheritance tax and because "We don't like corbyn"

She's also disabled and waking up with panic attacks at 5am to write letters to the dwp begging they don't take her money away. Most of her family is disabled. She has a court appeal next week.

It's weird.
Don't cling so hard to your possessions
For you have nothing if you have no rights

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

love to source my allies "Aryan Unity" in my fight against hard left antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/johnedenuk/status/1203285896356941824

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

"Is the difference in inheritance tax going to solve all the problems you current face through lack of social support?"

Sound a bit like saying "you're hosed either way" tbh.

Even if it's easier to move to a smaller place than survive losing her disability benefits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Sound a bit like saying "you're hosed either way" tbh.

Even if it's easier to move to a smaller place than survive losing her disability benefits.

I think it's more like saying "you can't inherit your way out of the need for a functioning society" which is a lesson a lot of people need to internalize.

Like I'm never gonna see any inheritance but even if I was I can't live my drat life hoping for my parents to die so I can have a house.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 7, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine having so little self-awareness that you honestly believe you, a solidly middle-class privately-educated white woman, do not have any more privilege than your black council-estate-raised co-star

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's more like saying "you can't inherit your way out of the need for a functioning society" which is a lesson a lot of people need to internalize.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

A majority @Conservatives government will take our ball home:

Should have brought your own balls, poors!
lol like any of you have balls
And I'm telling Pater, so you can kiss your sports club funding goodbye!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203347824789856256?s=19

Happening status: it's

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Got a Liberal democrat leaflet through the post today. Interesting graph on it.

Claims voter intention here is
39% Conservative
23% Liberal Democrat
19% Labour

Pretty interesting considering 2017 election results here were
29k Conservative
20k Labour
And..... 3.5k Liberal Democrat.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

OwlFancier posted:

"Is the difference in inheritance tax going to solve all the problems you current face through lack of social support?"

She's going to vote Labour, I've convinced her, but she can't convince her parents. Typical "I've been a labour voter all my life, but Corbyn! :arghfist:"

This seems relevant.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-for-him-right

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
It's hard for me personally (and I'm guessing some other people) to feel optimistic because politics worldwide has mostly been such an unremitting cavalcade of poo poo and fascism for the past five years or so that it feels like the bad ending is foreordained.

Big Tory poll leads, none of their lies or failings or utterly monstrous policies that have literally killed people appearing to hurt them at all, all those articles about potential historic gains in Labour heartlands where the reporter has as whole set of vox pops with people Who've Voted Labour All Their Life, But Can't Stand That Clown Corbyn, Now Boris, He's Got Something About Him, etc, etc.

It all gives me a sick certainty that this time next week we'll be dealing with endless gloating of the Tweetman and the first set of editorials on how lurching left has destroyed Labour's electoral chances and it's time for sensible centrism to rebuild public trust.

...but the exact same things gave me the exact same sick certainty in 2017. It's not over yet, it's not a foregone conclusion, and we've got to keep hoping and trying, because ultimately what else is there?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Mega Comrade posted:

39% Conservative
23% Liberal Democrat
19% Labour

29k Conservative
20k Labour

No that's not interesting any more because we've seen that happen so many times. Jo;'s strategy of media saturation has worked! Lib Dem credibility is no longer falling! :smug:

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Mega Comrade posted:

39% Conservative
23% Liberal Democrat
19% Labour

29k Conservative
20k Labour

alternative facts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

She's going to vote Labour, I've convinced her, but she can't convince her parents. Typical "I've been a labour voter all my life, but Corbyn! :arghfist:"

This seems relevant.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-for-him-right

Oh sure parents are poo poo so long as she gets it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

...DWP Housing? :tinfoil:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

In 2017 Savanta had a 10pt gap after underestimating Labour vote by 6 points. Curious if the gap is actually closer this time, if they've fixed their issues, or a bit of both.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do suspect more of the undecideds will go Labour than not because I can't imagine what would swing you tory in the last week. Undecided to me means unsure if lib dem or tory or not wanting to vote tory but feeling conflicted about lab/lib dem. All the tories I've run into were definitely tory.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I registered to help out on the campaign about three weeks ago, and only got this email this morning:

I live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country, so I can understand that it's not a major focus for campaigning, but leaving it as late as this is a bit of a shame :( Having said that, I may go tomorrow and see if I can help, if I can summon the courage :shobon:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 7, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I would actually just blow my load in one second from a position of complete flaccidity

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
We have to trust the polls, and if that means living in two realities at once, so be it.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203287620849164288

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nettle Soup posted:

My friend is worrying about a Labour government, because the house she'll inherit when her parents die is worth over 450k. Her parents are both voting Tory because of the marriage tax allowance thing, inheritance tax and because "We don't like corbyn"

She's also disabled and waking up with panic attacks at 5am to write letters to the dwp begging they don't take her money away. Most of her family is disabled. She has a court appeal next week.

It's weird.

Save a couple thousand quid in taxes

or

Live in a functional society where people don’t literally die of cold in their homes. Also the economy being stronger, more and better jobs and rights, less crime, everyone happier, better infrastructure...

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

more polls for the poll god

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

more polls for the poll god

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1203355508092153857

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Might wanna redact the email addresses and group link in that?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ornedan posted:

Might wanna redact the email addresses in that?

Oops, probably a good idea. I'll do it now

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

e: nevermind already sorted

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I do suspect more of the undecideds will go Labour than not because I can't imagine what would swing you tory in the last week. Undecided to me means unsure if lib dem or tory or not wanting to vote tory but feeling conflicted about lab/lib dem. All the tories I've run into were definitely tory.
An inheritance. Though that balances out.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Apraxin posted:

We have to trust the polls, and if that means living in two realities at once, so be it.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203287620849164288

absolutely no way Brexit get 7 MPs, not happening

also where on earth are the Greens picking up another seat?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Those arent seat predictions, they're percentage changes in that one constituency.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Julio Cruz posted:

what

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Isn't that percentage changes?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think they're both predictions for Wrexham, i.e. polls are just made up numbers

just stuck up a big board outside our house

also my next door neighbour who's nice, and I've never had any reason to suspect was a massive tory, but isn't exactly what you'd picture as a typical labour voter (retired vet, goes skiing a lot) has got a garden stake

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

where are you seeing these claims?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ultraleft twitter is at it again

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1202887432309497856?s=19

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Labour have been saying absolutely no coalitions, but how likely is it that they do enter some sort of agreement with the SNP if we end up with a hung parliament? Surely that's better than trying to form some kind of minority government?

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

Long time lurker first time poster.

De-lurking to say that I've received 13 leaflets from the Lib Dems in the last couple of weeks, anyone received more than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Labour have been saying absolutely no coalitions, but how likely is it that they do enter some sort of agreement with the SNP if we end up with a hung parliament? Surely that's better than trying to form some kind of minority government?

very, but you don't say it!