Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be surprised if the SNP would agree to it so I'd expect conditional support on a case by case basis and a rerun of the election fairly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

And you all told me Ben Elton was a melt.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1203358705988915201?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/981520015018156033

lol

what do these people actually want and what do they do?

I haven't noticed them out in the streets putting up barricades and voting from the rooftops or what have you, so I have to presume they're either accepting the fact that labour aren't perfect but they're the best option next thursday and out volunteering for us or they're just sitting around selling each other newspapers

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

XMNN posted:

also my next door neighbour who's nice, and I've never had any reason to suspect was a massive tory, but isn't exactly what you'd picture as a typical labour voter (retired vet, goes skiing a lot) has got a garden stake

A guy at the office who said that he'd never vote for Corbyn said he was voting Labour on Friday which was unexpected but he's also the type of person who would spend 20 minutes telling you a really interesting anecdote before revealing that it was entirely made of lies so it might have just been a jape

Also the guy who probably salutes to a statue of Thatcher every morning said he didn't know who to vote for which is reassuring

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

Open Layer posted:

Long time lurker first time poster.

De-lurking to say that I've received 13 leaflets from the Lib Dems in the last couple of weeks, anyone received more than that?

I've not counted, but its around about that if not more. I'm in St Albans.

zhar
May 3, 2019

What is Labour's position on inheritance tax? All I could find was a plan to reverse Osborne's 2015 cut, is that it so far?

Am I right in remembering something about McDonnell saying that they wanted to tax the portion going to each beneficiary (thus less tax for multiple beneficiaries) vs the whole estate at once?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You need 1000 cops to run a detention center.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My parents got my senile gran to (officially) sign over her house and most of her assets to them before she got worse to avoid inheritance tax when she croaks and I'm genuinely embarrassed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

zhar posted:

What is Labour's position on inheritance tax? All I could find was a plan to reverse Osborne's 2015 cut, is that it so far?

Am I right in remembering something about McDonnell saying that they wanted to tax the portion going to each beneficiary (thus less tax for multiple beneficiaries) vs the whole estate at once?
Yes but also a lifetime gift tax so that the booj can't dodge it by entrusting everything to their heirs 10 years before they die.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

My favourite part of the joint WC bid with Ireland is the fact, confirmed this week, that the FAI is 55 million in debt and completely hosed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:vince:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Some kind of deal with the SNP seems likely, but Labour wouldn't be able to get much England only stuff done if they don't have a majority in England.

And about actors, it's probably easier to list the very successful under 40 British actors who aren't really posh- John Boyega and James McAvoy are the only two I can think of. Older very successful British actors are quite often from not posh backgrounds. Almost like something happened in the 1980s that destroyed opportunities for working class and lower middle class actors.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have read that actors are extremely likely to be landlords - they're in a career where their income is insanely variable month-to-month and they're generally pretty terrible with money/live in London. do a voiceover ad for Heinz, stick the cash into a few buy to lets and suddenly jeremy corbyn is too extreme for this life long labour voter.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I would actually just blow my load in one second from a position of complete flaccidity

In 1997, people were asking "did you stay up for Portillo?" I think there may even have been a book with that title about the 1997 general election. Anyway, I didn't stay up for Portillo, because I had school in the morning, but now that I'm thirty-seven and an unemployed wretch, I'm hoping that I can stay up to see IDS lose his seat. Would he cry tears, or just make a face like he sat on a dog poo by accident? It'd be worth seeing, for sure.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The FT is where the EU elite sends its messages:

quote:

UK politicians face ‘steep learning curve’ on EU trade
Deal likely to be ‘far inferior’ to bloc membership, says Phil Hogan

Europe’s new trade commissioner has warned that Britain’s politicians face a steep “learning curve” to understand the realities of Brexit, stressing that the trade deal sought by Boris Johnson will be “far inferior” to membership of the EU.

Phil Hogan said in a speech to business leaders in Dublin on Friday that it was “regrettable” that “even at this late stage, many members of the British parliament and media have still not woken up to this fact”.

“Unfortunately, the learning curve remains very wide,” he said, warning that there was no guarantee that a trade agreement would be in place by the end of 2020, when Britain’s post-Brexit transition period is set to end.

The intervention is the first time that the Irish politician has set out his position on Brexit since taking over as trade commissioner on December 1. Should Britain leave the EU as planned on January 31 2020, Mr Hogan would lead the union’s efforts to broker a trade deal with the UK.

His comments reflect a wider concern in Brussels that Britain’s politicians have failed to spell out to the public what it will really mean to leave the EU’s internal market and customs union and move to an economic relationship based on a trade agreement.

While Mr Johnson has spoken of securing a “fantastic” future relationship with the EU, officials in Brussels note that Britain’s departure will require the creation of a hard border for trade in goods and restrictions on trade in services that a deal cannot erase.

The EU is also worried that the 11-month timeframe allocated by Mr Johnson to reach an agreement will be insufficient. The prime minister has refused to extend the country’s post-Brexit transition period beyond the end of 2020.

“The risk of Brexit happening without a ratified deal still exists,” Mr Hogan said. “It could happen at the end of January, or at the end of 2020.”

EU diplomats this week decided to remove a commitment to seek a deal within that timeframe from a draft statement that will be adopted by leaders from the other 27 EU nations next week.

France was among the countries that argued for the deletion on the grounds that the union should not be rushed because of Mr Johnson’s choices.

Mr Hogan said previous comments he had made, indicating the possibility of quick progress towards a trade deal, had been taken “out of context” by the UK press.

Leading Conservative ministers such as foreign secretary Dominic Raab seized on remarks Mr Hogan made to Ireland’s RTE broadcaster last month that the EU could do a deal “more quickly” with the UK than with other countries, arguing it showed the realism of Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans.

But Mr Hogan said that “the truth is we have no accurate way to predict how long it will take to negotiate a deal with the UK because there is no precedent. We are entering completely uncharted waters”.

Brussels, in its own way, once again sending up a Giant Red Flag to the UK during election time about the trade negotiations.

Also, please note that they put the Irish in charge of doing the actual negotiations, and Phil Hogan is a loving hardman. Also a giant - that man it at least 2 meters plus and built like a truck.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

marktheando posted:

Some kind of deal with the SNP seems likely, but Labour wouldn't be able to get much England only stuff done if they don't have a majority in England.

And about actors, it's probably easier to list the very successful under 40 British actors who aren't really posh- John Boyega and James McAvoy are the only two I can think of. Older very successful British actors are quite often from not posh backgrounds. Almost like something happened in the 1980s that destroyed opportunities for working class and lower middle class actors.

Hmm I was gonna say Riz Ahmed, but apparently he's an Oxford PPE grad :yikes:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jollity Farm posted:

In 1997, people were asking "did you stay up for Portillo?" I think there may even have been a book with that title about the 1997 general election. Anyway, I didn't stay up for Portillo, because I had school in the morning, but now that I'm thirty-seven and an unemployed wretch, I'm hoping that I can stay up to see IDS lose his seat. Would he cry tears, or just make a face like he sat on a dog poo by accident? It'd be worth seeing, for sure.

yeah, the edging amber rudd gave me in 2017 was great fun while it lasted but this time i'm going to want my happy ending

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Apraxin posted:

We have to trust the polls, and if that means living in two realities at once, so be it.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203287620849164288

The Survation one is a telephone poll of 400 people in TYOOL 2019, and the yougov one is a model that hasn't been updated in weeks - pick your choice of bad polls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

yeah, the edging amber rudd gave me in 2017 was great fun while it lasted but this time i'm going to want my happy ending

I still reckon that was fraud.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually James McAvoy is 40 so John Boyega is the only big British acting star under 40 who isn't posh.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I still reckon that was fraud.

And no members of the local council have spoken out or were bribed to keep their mouth shut? Close elections happen, and recounting till you get consistant results is sensible if it's close. There's no real gain to fraud in that one seat, and it's not like they expected to lose it so could have prepared something ahead of time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
IDS losing his seat is the start.

I want to see him sweating over Labour's inquiry into the DWP and Atos. The thought of him losing sleep at night because the authorities will be deciding his fate is poetry.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Did they do a similar number of recounts in the even closer seats like fife north east (SNP maj of 2)?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And no members of the local council have spoken out or were bribed to keep their mouth shut? Close elections happen, and recounting till you get consistant results is sensible if it's close. There's no real gain to fraud in that one seat, and it's not like they expected to lose it so could have prepared something ahead of time.

I mean I haven't really thought about it, I just reckon it. Cos I'm allowed to do that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Junior G-man posted:

Brussels, in its own way, once again sending up a Giant Red Flag to the UK during election time about the trade negotiations.
When looking through the pink colored glasses of imperial nostalgia, red flags look like surrender.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wasn't Rudd losing until they miraculously 'found' a lot of uncounted votes after they had already done a couple re-counts?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Appreciate whoever runs the Praxiscast Twitter trying to introduce Monster Munch discourse to the Chapo boys

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1203349150370324480?s=19

E:lmao that content warning

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

marktheando posted:

Actually James McAvoy is 40 so John Boyega is the only big British acting star under 40 who isn't posh.

Daniel Kaluuya and Taron Egerton are other working class actors I can think of who've "made it big" - there's a couple of others who are on the verge like Jack O'Connell and Aneurin Barnard who've picked up awards but haven't quite landed that big role to push them into Hollywood territory yet

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Open Layer posted:

De-lurking to say that I've received 13 leaflets from the Lib Dems in the last couple of weeks, anyone received more than that?

0 but they've moved aside for the Greens in my constituency

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Appreciate whoever runs the Praxiscast Twitter trying to introduce Monster Munch discourse to the Chapo boys

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1203349150370324480?s=19

E:lmao that content warning

Didn't they have a similar reaction to the shelf of food to go last time they did a UK tour?

And everyone lost their poo poo at the notion of a fridge with no door on it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't they have a similar reaction to the shelf of food to go last time they did a UK tour?

And everyone lost their poo poo at the notion of a fridge with no door on it?

Idk, much as I enjoy Chapo their live podcasts are as dogshit as every other live podcast so I avoid

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Does anybody have a website/resource that lists the things the conservatives have done since 2010 by year? Just like an overview of the "highlights" (bills, cuts, disasters, high court defeats, that time they were found in contempt of parliment etc)?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's that poll Bastani was talking about :

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1203347824789856256

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kustomkarkommando posted:

Daniel Kaluuya and Taron Egerton are other working class actors I can think of who've "made it big" - there's a couple of others who are on the verge like Jack O'Connell and Aneurin Barnard who've picked up awards but haven't quite landed that big role to push them into Hollywood territory yet

Oh I assumed Taron Egerton was posh because of his silly name.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Love it :D

:sparkles:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Idk, much as I enjoy Chapo their live podcasts are as dogshit as every other live podcast so I avoid

I actually quite like their live shows, the crowd is often good which helps.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jollity Farm posted:

Oh, the general public wouldn't even be able to spell Portillo! Harrumph! :mad:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Open Layer posted:

In the three hours between putting up the Vote Labour sign I got from a canvasser this morning, then coming back from canvassing myself, I somehow got two lib lies leaflets posted through the door. That takes me up to 5 this election. It's infuriating frankly, given that we actually have a serious shot of taking this seat from the tories if the lib dems stop making GBS threads things up.

Boris:

Jezza:
https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1203292056338255872

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

IDS losing his seat is the start.

I want to see him sweating over Labour's inquiry into the DWP and Atos. The thought of him losing sleep at night because the authorities will be deciding his fate is poetry.

And then sweating over hot coals.

...Obviously I am talking about a sauna visit.

:thermidor: