Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

wolrah posted:

'92-97 cars are referred to as "aero" bodies in contrast to the original "box" bodies. When the '98 facelifts came around those got the nickname "whale".
So when I gave my white '05 Grand Marquis the nickname "Moby" as in "Moby Dick" the whale idea was already there? I lucked into that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Big K of Justice posted:

He mentioned if you top up the later model cars [with the longer filling neck and the 19 gallon vs 20 gallon capacity], and then immediately park it in hot weather, vapor expansion will cause some fuel to get into the carbon canister evaporative system, the black box that piggy backs on the bottom of the fuel tank. When that happens, the fuel can't be pumped normally from the tank resulting in a very rare situation. You'll have to wait it to cool and the fuel to dry out of the system apparently. On that day I topped off the car, and then drove it 1 mile to a mall and parked it outside in 105F weather for 4 hours.

I just got an '06 Grand Marquis and have this problem.

What's the solution? Clean the evap canister?

I just disassembled, cleaned, relubed, and reassembled the window motor after checking the window switches. If I'd known new window motors were $20, I wouldn't have wasted my time and just gotten a new one. Also lubed the regulator tracks and window tracks. Yay for four working windows.

In fact, yay for a 100% completely working car with no problems of any kind. Even the radio works and the cupholders are OK. 91,000 miles on this guy, and it was babied.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

yay for a 100% completely working car with no problems of any kind. Even the radio works and the cupholders are OK. 91,000 miles on this guy, and it was babied.

Oh boy. Look what you gone done did. Don't you know that you gotta leave one minor thing broken?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn’t that what the Ford Durango was supposed to be?

Wasn't that based on the Fox-chassis LTD, though?

Cross-posted from the "what did you do to your ride" thread:
Replaced the entire intake manifold because Ford are penny-pinching assholes.

Plastic in the cooling system (heater outlet nipple) + "lifetime" coolant + 14 years =

Fuckwits.

And back again:

$300 because some bean counter decided they didn't need to use aluminum back there.
It was pretty easy, at least. I used an OEM replacement manifold, because I was unimpressed by the compromises in the aftermarket manifolds trying to cover all the years of the 4.6 Performance Improved, including the Dorman that uses a completely different runner design that appears to be a copy of their non-Performance Improved manifold, modified to fit the different heads. Spent $100 more, but have no qualms, other than the stupid nipple will break off again in another 14 years, most likely.
Car runs and drives great, and no leaks that I can find so far.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just got an '06 Grand Marquis and have this problem.

What's the solution? Clean the evap canister?

That's what I was told, to check the hose that runs to the little solenoid on the little pack on the gas tank bottom, I didn't have a repeat of the issue, so the next time I'm at a pick and pull I'm going to pull the pack off another late model Panther and clean that and swap it out for the one on my car since I can't really have any downtime on my daily driver. I haven't had a repeat of the issue.

That being said with the recent icing in central texas, I boned the truck open system by trying to use it while the car was an ice cube.

Does anyone know where the fuse is for the Trunk motor system? It's a 2011 Towncar-L and the handbook says its in slot 116 under the hood fusebox except it's empty/disabled [only one pin]. I know the L may have some differences from the standard Towncar so I'm kind of at a loss here unless they combined it with the decklid management thing? It's supposed to be a 30 amp fuse. I suspect the fuse is blown or the motor is shot, not a big deal but at present I only have the Valet key to the car so I can't open the trunk lock manually.

So on that note, unless I can find the master key soon, I'm going to need to get a new master key cut, any cost saving methods for this? I got a OEM factory blank from Ford, I know about the 3 stage 45 minute process to add another master key to the car [I think that's the method] but I still need it cut from the VIN/Keycode.

I found a RECORD & DETACH tag in the glove box, I'm assuming its the master key code?

/EDIT it got a bit warmer out and the truck auto sealed and the system works fine now. I guess one of the internal switches that controls the mechanism was frozen.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 21, 2019

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
In a fit of alcohol-fueled automotive daydreaming I've had a terrific/terrible idea that I need to talk through to figure out if it's feasible. I have a 65 mercury comet sedan with a 114 inch wheelbase, near as makes no difference to my Grand Marquis. I measured it roughly, the pinch welds on the bottom of the comet are 56 inches across from each other, which is pretty close to the centerline of the frame rails on a panther. If I hammered over the pinch welds to flatten them out and install some body mounts (stupid economic unibody), I might be able to make a redneck monster muscle car.

At the very least I'll have an emergency eject feature in a crash when the body mounts rip out, the body shoots off the frame and I go flying into the ditch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't know how much the body being a unibody matters, but it seems to me that if the dimensions are as close as you say it shouldn't be significantly different from the people who have been dropping F-100 bodies on Panther frames. I'd recommend looking in to build logs of those conversions. If you think you could handle one of those jobs plus a bit more fabrication and fiddlefuckery you can probably make it work.

I mean rednecks manage to slap all sorts of car bodies on old truck frames all the time and you rarely see them fail catastrophically.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I finally got around to looking for bucket seats for my car, ironically the Marauder seats were both closer and cheaper than town car seats.

I need to get a center console now, not sure if I want to convert to console shifter or not, or maybe a town car style jump seat/armrest. Coincidentally, anyone want a set of tan leather power seats?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There’s a wrecked Marauder on FB Marketplace locally, and I’m fighting myself to not enquirer about purchasing the entire interior for my P71, because I don’t have the money and it would just make me sad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That's a tough call and I wouldn't blame you either way, I'm really missing the armrest- not having a place to put my elbow is starting to drive me crazy. One thing to note though if you do the swap is apparently the wiring harnesses for the front seats can be really fussy, I'm dealing with an airbag light now, and I think it's because the passenger seat weight sensing module isn't happy- I'm guessing the seats were out of an 04 and they did something just different enough from my 03 to make it unhappy. One of the posts I saw somewhere said that the easiest way to swap seats from different years is to just swap the seat skins over between the old seats to the new, and trim the foam as you go.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That sounds about right.
For the armrest, temporarily, there’s a Walmart minivan console that fits nicely. You’ve probably seen it pictured in other cop cars - it’s that popular. Not the sturdiest, but it works. It’s what I have in mind. I’d really like the Marauder/CV LS Sport console and shifter, though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, friends, on monday I'm going to see a 2003 Lincoln Town Car, white, that has about 200,000 km (124274 miles) on it. It's apparently been sitting "about a year", and was probably buried in a snowdrift last winter. It's had its air-suspension replaced with the other one. As I live in the "did you pull that off of the sea bed" rusty part of Canada, it's a notable plus that it was brought from Arkansas in 2013. It worked as a limo car since.

I've always wanted to join the cult of the panther, and want to use it as a daily driver. I've been told the structural improvements of the 2003+ panther make it the one to get, and town cars are the nicest of the lot.

So:

1. assuming everything is as I've said is true, (don't know about the snowdrift, just speculating) what do you think it is worth in cdn?

2. Aside from the replacing of the plastic intake manifold with an aluminum one, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, friends, on monday I'm going to see a 2003 Lincoln Town Car, white, that has about 200,000 km (124274 miles) on it. It's apparently been sitting "about a year", and was probably buried in a snowdrift last winter. It's had its air-suspension replaced with the other one. As I live in the "did you pull that off of the sea bed" rusty part of Canada, it's a notable plus that it was brought from Arkansas in 2013. It worked as a limo car since.

I've always wanted to join the cult of the panther, and want to use it as a daily driver. I've been told the structural improvements of the 2003+ panther make it the one to get, and town cars are the nicest of the lot.

So:

1. assuming everything is as I've said is true, (don't know about the snowdrift, just speculating) what do you think it is worth in cdn?

2. Aside from the replacing of the plastic intake manifold with an aluminum one, is there anything else I should keep an eye out for?

You already have the suspension swap, so you don't have to worry about bursting an airbag. My 03 grand marquis has been rock solid on several 1000+ mile road trips and aside from the intake manifold the only problems I've had are self-inflicted. Aside from the average stuff (battery, belts, fluids, weird squeaks, and make sure the underside doesn't look rotted out) I can't think of any reason to not go for it. The intake manifold took me a day to swap out and if there's a performance cost, I haven't noticed it. I couldn't offer a valuation on it, I'd try to keep it low though since it's been sitting. You may need to flush the fuel system as well, Depending on how well it runs that might be just a can of seafoam or yanking the tank to get it cleaned out

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 20, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trip report: sorta disappointing

The car doesn't run or turn over. It's been sitting "at least a year" but the last road registration sticker is from 2016. So likely it's multiple years of being drifted over by snow. Cosmetically, it's down there in "fair" condition - lots of little flaws (which admittedly would be easy for fix.) Tires are ready for replacement, wheels are a mess. It does have a sunroof, and dual exhausts - not sure if that is a real dual exhaust or not. I do like the look of it.

The upside is that the owner wants somebody to haul it away and just wants $500 for it, which seems pretty fair to me. The thing is, though, I don't really have the money, space or energy to overhaul and restore it - especially as the thing as it sits is impossible for me to assess how much work that'd be. If it can't be returned to the road, it'd be a big waste - ditto if the years sitting means lots of poo poo needs to be overhauled.

Dude also had a limo, the friend who was with me was thinking about a pickup truck, I suggested to him he buy the limo and turn it into a ute, maybe add another axle in the middle

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 21, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Bummer, but I see your reasoning. That's a big gamble, I've taken one like that before and it ended up sitting in my yard for three years before I admitted it was too much for my meager skills.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Hate to double post but the last one I made was a while back, and I have a slightly strange question about parts interchangeability. One of the headlights on my Grand Marquis has gone out, the wiring pigtail looks melted (yay cheap and lovely bulbs). I found a replacement plug at advance or O'Reilly's for six bucks I could splice in, but the reviews say that that one melts out before too long as well.

I'm pretty sure a wiring harness from a Crown Vic or Town Car would fit it, but I have an 03 model. The junkyard near my place has a couple 97-02 crown vics in the yard, does anyone know if those wiring harnesses would swap over? I wouldn't even begin to know model numbers for that part.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There's a high likelihood that the plug and pigtail at least would work. I don't think the headlights changed for the last generation at all. The aftermarket replacement housings are sold '98-'11.
A quick look at eBay says the replacement 9007 and 9005 plugs fit *lots* of cars.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Darchangel posted:

There's a high likelihood that the plug and pigtail at least would work. I don't think the headlights changed for the last generation at all. The aftermarket replacement housings are sold '98-'11.
A quick look at eBay says the replacement 9007 and 9005 plugs fit *lots* of cars.

Cool, thanks. Time for a trip to the junkyard then.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
You there, thread! Stay out of the archives!

So, I noticed the front driver's tire on my 2004 Town Car was wearing weirdly... much more wear on the inside edge than the outside. If it was just me driving like an rear end in a top hat, I'd expect to see that wear on the outside edge. Got new tires put on today, and asked for an alignment as well. The shop called back when the tires were done, and said they couldn't adjust the front back into alignment, the relevant bits were adjusted as far as they would go.

Looking at the alignment sheet they gave me, here's what's out of spec:
Driver's Front Camber: -2.0 degrees (range is .4 to -1.2 degrees)
Passenger's Front Camber: -1.7 degrees ( .4 to -1.2 degrees)
Passenger's Front Caster: 5.3 Degrees (5.5 to 7.0 degrees)

Nothing is hugely off, and the car drove fine for the 2-3 years I've owned it. The odd wear was on the front driver's tire, but it's the passenger that's farther out. Near as I can figure, this was someone's grandpa's car, and after he was gone the car sat for a bit. I'm wondering if it got bounced off of some curbs before that happened.

It seems like I could throw a grand at this and get new uprights, and upper and lower control arms... but how likely is it that there's something in the frame that's bent, and new parts wouldn't necessarily help? I always thought panthers were pretty sturdy, so I'm inclined to believe that's not likely, but....

I will probably just end up dealing with it and being more diligent about my tire rotations. I probably could have gotten several thousand more miles out of the last set had I rotated them sooner, but I think they were getting up in age anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I think that could easily be just worn bushings, so replacing the arms is on the right track, though, since I have a press, garage, etc, I’d probably just replace the bushings in the existing arms. It should be a lot cheaper, though obviously more time and labor consuming.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I think that could easily be just worn bushings, so replacing the arms is on the right track, though, since I have a press, garage, etc, I’d probably just replace the bushings in the existing arms. It should be a lot cheaper, though obviously more time and labor consuming.

one benefit to doing this is that you'll notice if anything is bent when you have it all apart

might as well do the balljoints too?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Hello thread. I'm doin my part to keep cars big.

2007 grandpa car, garaged with 71k miles. More pics tomorrow when I pick it up.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cage posted:

Hello thread. I'm doin my part to keep cars big.

2007 grandpa car, garaged with 71k miles. More pics tomorrow when I pick it up.

Man, glad to see this. So many beat up Panthers rolling around my town, love how fresh it looks.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got pretty lucky! Found the ad 26 minutes after it was posted. Owned by a grandpa that garaged it, it has 71k miles and surprisingly no visible rust! Rides like a dream.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Cage posted:

I got pretty lucky! Found the ad 26 minutes after it was posted. Owned by a grandpa that garaged it, it has 71k miles and surprisingly no visible rust! Rides like a dream.

Man that's beautiful, great find!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Sorry to double post, but I have a question (and I don't think I ever posted my front license plate in this thread either)

In addition to the all-terrains I put on it (and there will be a lift one day and maybe a roof rack, just not any time soon), I'm tempted to further mad max it out a bit more. I want to get some KC fog lights, but should I mount them behind the grille, or get a push bar and mount them to that? I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to make it look like a cop car, but it feels like whichever route I go is going to risk that.

Another option would be a marauder bumper (I'll probably need a new bumper cover anyways since there's a big dent on the underside), but I don't really want to go that route.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 14, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Reminds me that I’m trying to help my sister get a title for her late boyfriend’s (yeah… that sucked) ‘08 Grand Marquis, so she can sell it. His family isn’t being of any help, and won’t probate his estate (which makes no sense - the state is going to gently caress them over.)

As far as my Panther, I put in an overhead console, and the civilian headliner that goes with it:

Had to run some new wires for the module in the console, and the included wiring for a auto-dimming rear view mirror (that I will install later - currently I have a dash cam mirror attached.)

Also, I replaced the factory mufflers with some slightly more rowdy Thrush Turbo mufflers.

(Yes, of course I ran it like that. Had to.)
edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gioQysqK68

It sounds pretty good!
edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU5u_7z0Ug

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 15, 2021

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

My car was broken into and they ruined the ignition. That was an easy fix, orielly had a replacement motorcraft cylinder kit for $75 next day. Only took about 45 minutes, the hardest part really was getting the retaining clip snapped in. And you need to fiddle with the ignition and key so they are both in the accessory position to get it to slide in.

Still need to get a replacement key cylinder and drill out the rivets to fix the door handle. And replace the plastic housing around the steering wheel. It is an 07 cvpi, also going to see about adding an antenna for the driver door module to get keyless entry.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Fuckin' awesome

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pershing posted:

Fuckin' awesome

Thanks. It seems to have opened up a little more, just about perfect. Nice rumble at idle. It sounds *great* in the parking garage at work. :D

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I may have had some complaints about the 4.6 in my Mustang, but the sound was never one of them. How's the Vic sound at higher revs off-throttle? The Mustang was just burbly enough to make me smile. No real pops but it was great at the top end of third gear.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I may have had some complaints about the 4.6 in my Mustang, but the sound was never one of them. How's the Vic sound at higher revs off-throttle? The Mustang was just burbly enough to make me smile. No real pops but it was great at the top end of third gear.

It does some nice burpees and light pops when revved (which it will only let you do to about 3500 in park…) I’m not sure what it sounds like I the highway in that respect. The exhaust is too quiet, too much wind noise, and the car has too much sound deadening. What I can hear sounds good. If I had a Go Pro I’d strap it to the bumper to get some sound, but alas. Honestly, it sounds really decent for a mild cammed not-particularly-high-compression V8. No headers, but the cop cars get true duals with an h-pipe.

Edit: I meant to type “burbles” up there, but autocorrect did that instead. “Burpees” amuses me, so it stays.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Has anyone swapped an open differential for an lsd in here? I'm trying to find a good balance between easy and cheap. It looks like some P71s came with an lsd and 3.55 gears but I imagine it'll be difficult finding a low mileage option, right?

Should I just pick up something like this: FORD 8.8" - 3.55 EXCEL RING AND PINION - 31 SPLINE - AAM POSI LSD - GEAR PKG? Are differentials something that junkyards will pull off and sell to you off the shelf? Its winter in Buffalo and I don't really want to crawl under a car to take one. I believe I can also use a lsd from mustangs and F-150s and the like and then just buy a clutch rebuild pack and then gears separately if I want those right?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Find a cop car with the option (it’s in the VIN) and pull the entire rearend. My P71 has the 3.55 limited slip, and it’s nice. Plenty of get up and go.

edit: I'm wrong. It's not in the VIN, but it is in the "Vehicle Certification" label on the driver's door jamb.
Axle code 5 is 3.55 limited slip: http://www.policecars.us/crownvicnewvin.html

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 21, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My old mustang lives on, sorta. Both my rear wheels had slow leaks in them so figured might as well see how these fit.

P good I'd say.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, I haven't done anything cool to this car yet. My hood struts failed last week so that was my first repair job. Popped a bluetooth radio in there finally after 4 months of owning the car. Not sure why that took so long beyond laziness. Finally have some wind visors being delivered today too.

If I want to switch over to a dual exhaust, this is the part I want, right? Take that to a exhaust shop and have them hang a new muffler and pipe out the other side?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

Man, I haven't done anything cool to this car yet. My hood struts failed last week so that was my first repair job. Popped a bluetooth radio in there finally after 4 months of owning the car. Not sure why that took so long beyond laziness. Finally have some wind visors being delivered today too.

If I want to switch over to a dual exhaust, this is the part I want, right? Take that to a exhaust shop and have them hang a new muffler and pipe out the other side?

That looks right. If you can get under a dual-exhaust car in the wrecking yard, you can pull all that yourself other than the cats, probably. Ford does a good job of rust-proofing the exhaust. I'm not sure if it's stainless steel or just good aluminizing, but it doesn't rust (at least down here in TX, which to be fair is kind to steel.)

I, too, installed a new head unit. Stepped up (?) to an Atoto CarPlay head unit with a floating display, and a wireless CarPlay adapter.

It works well once the firmware of the unit and the CarPlay adapter were updated, and an apparently-known issue with the add-on steering wheel remote causing the head unit to fail to power up was resolved. The display is bright, and the touchscreen is responsive.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Looks nice! My brother crashed my fathers 2009 mgm last year and they ripped the stereo out, so all the connections were still on it and it felt a waste not to use this one. Certainly made for the fastest radio install I've ever done.

The wire isn't there anymore.

Unfortunately I live in Buffalo, I could probably find a usable donor but it seems worth it to just buy new. I know of a good muffler shop too that would be more than happy to fab the rest up.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I finally got around to wiring up my fog lights, this was taken at dusk so my camera's light levels are all wonky but they look great in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Lol that looks awesome. I wish I had the 03-05 front end. The bigger headlights look much better, plus you don't have that weird body panel between the grill and the headlight. Plus marauder parts :getin: