Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

I have an update but not the one that I think you all were expecting.

ByzLP, also known as Blood in the Bosporus, will be back, probably before the end of the month.

Not gonna lie, I completely lost faith.

This also goes to show just how much of a bastard HOI is compared to the other parts of a Paradox LP.

E:

By my count, going from "last post in previous game to first post in new game,"

CK => EU
3 Months

EU => Vicky
3 Months

Vicky => HOI
56 months (State of the World 1936 was April 10, 2015)

Tulip fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Tulip posted:

This also goes to show just how much of a bastard HOI is compared to the other parts of a Paradox LP.

E:

CK => EU
3 Months

EU => Vicky
3 Months

Vicky => HOI

HOI4 wasn't released until June 2016. Then several personal matters intervened, and the mod wasn't really started until mid to late 2017. And we all (on the very small mod team!) have our own responsibilities, jobs, school, families, health, etc....

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ByzLP never dies :jeb:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

HOI4 wasn't released until June 2016. Then several personal matters intervened, and the mod wasn't really started until mid to late 2017. And we all (on the very small mod team!) have our own responsibilities, jobs, school, families, health, etc....

Oh I don't want to sound accusatory or anything, and I'm well aware that many intensive projects wind up with spiralling pushbacks if they start getting knocked off course because of, as mentioned, having a life. I'm just using this to indirectly measure how much more demanding the mod process is for HOI.

Though you're right that it's not really fair given that HOI4 wasn't even out yet in 2015.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Tulip posted:

Oh I don't want to sound accusatory or anything, and I'm well aware that many intensive projects wind up with spiralling pushbacks if they start getting knocked off course because of, as mentioned, having a life. I'm just using this to indirectly measure how much more demanding the mod process is for HOI.

Though you're right that it's not really fair given that HOI4 wasn't even out yet in 2015.

Nah, no harm done. As for me, I know I can't do anything nearly as expansive when I get that far with Tibet.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I, for one, am hype as hell for the return of ByzLP. I can't believe it's happening! Hiratines for all of those who doubted! Except me!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Tulip posted:

E:

CK => EU
3 Months

EU => Vicky
3 Months

Vicky => HOI

I remember literally going from the SOTW to the The Force Awakens trailer while taking a break from writing my senior thesis. What a time to be alive.

ALSO HOLY gently caress BYZLP IS ENDING BREAK OUT THE RED FLAGS AND HIRATINES

god I hope nora gives us an explanation as to what would have happened with the other fascism ghost choices

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

ByzLP, also known as Blood in the Bosporus, will be back, probably before the end of the month.

Aw, yeah! That's one of the two that convinced to actually join Something Awful.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ByzLP rises from the dead! Time to re-read.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

idhrendur posted:

Aw, yeah! That's one of the two that convinced to actually join Something Awful.

ByzLP is also the reason I joined Something Awful.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Hell yes!

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
TibetLP is why I paid my :10bux: but ByzLP is extremely good and I’m very excited for its return.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Kangxi posted:

Oh, fantastic! We are Rome. Let's hiratine the world!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 53: 1350 to 1362 - Tsenpo Purgyal Zungtsen 'the Handsome'

A mountain does not act in terms of good or evil. It is equally hazardous to all.
-Purgyal Gyalyum, as quoted in 'The Legends of the Purgyal'

As told by Her Majesty the Crown Princess, Lasya

There was a story that my brother told me once. He had gone to Mount Kailash on a pilgrimage. He told the stories the many pilgrims there, and of how the benevolent Gyalyum climbed it to demonstrate her love for the Tse the Founder -- or was it to challenge a famed Buddhist lama? He never could keep things right -- and that no one else had climbed it since.

Out of all the people I've read in history, I feel a special affiliation with her. She was the only one I felt inspired by, and I devoured every bit of history or biography written about her and even some about the founder of the church. I followed a few other emperors, but they all seemed like cheap imitations. She was the one who made the empire, and everybody else rode on her coattails.

He knew I was doubtful. He asked me what I thought about the whole thing. I granted that showing her mastery and skill was important, what was most important was proving herself in the most dangerous place on earth. The thrill of knowing that a wrong step meant not only sacrilege but death and still surpassing every goal set out besides.

He looked at me, bewildered, believing that people do not actively seek out certain death. "What do you know about it all, girl," he said, sneering, "what business is it if yours? You've known no suffering. You don't feel anything. All you do is talk about this like it's a kind of game."

He grew furious at me and then left, refusing to grant any thought to what I had said. They all refuse to talk about death but I'm the one who survives them all.

He died too, years ago.

That left me third in line for the throne. Three heartbeats stop forever and I get what I wanted most.

My former nanny, then in charge of rituals and natural science at court, made herself useful by finding suspects to blame. Somebody who was up at the wrong time, or could not find an excuse for himself. Or they lied badly, and that would be reason enough. I can have liars around but they can't be too bad at it. That's useless. They can't be too good either, they'd get ambitious. Really I just need people who will do whatever I say.

And another obstacle in my way was removed. That left me second in line.

My father kept on as he always did. He asked, "Well, what can you do?" in a solemn tone and resumed his work as a king.

He grew tired and blanched at the sight of my nanny, and he had her reassigned out of the palace. They were loving, of course. They can't hide it very well, not least from me.

Out of guilt, he spent more time with my mother, and bought her presents than usual and had the maids spend more time around her. That worked. It also taught me if somebody is nice, they're hiding something.

My youngest brother died around this time. He wasn't ahead of me for the throne. These things just happen.

My father wanted the rest of us to get along - it didn't always work, but I found someone beneficial in my half-sister Jashi. She was illegitimate and not in line for anything, she just wanted to be accepted. A good quality to have in a sister or someone to do things. Perhaps not for an empress. I told her she was good the way she was and she almost wept with gratitude.

There are many things about my father I won't imitate; his weak sentimentality; but I can understand wanting to be rich. Other people can be rich so long as you have power or the means to have more.

Then all that was interrupted by the Sacred Hierarch wanting to have a crack at Arabia again. The war was a disaster for many people. Not me, though.

The Sultan did not have to do very much; our armies were wasted marching up and down the desert. It's good Tibet has so many people, other people can afford to make errors of judgment that I will then avoid.

The Sacred Hierarch wasted his time writing nasty letters about the Mongols. This just made them upset. Which is not in itself a bad thing but you need to do it when you have a good reason to, to make them so angry as to be delusional.

My nephew Zungtsen died frothing at the mouth after he was attacked by wild rabid dogs. Very convenient.

That finally meant I was next in line for the throne.

But to sum up, the war was lost because no one believed in it. Nobody dared to see it through. There wasn't enough profit to be made in it, people weren't promised some eternal reward for it. You don't motivate people out of love, but out of fear or self-interest. That's why the sacred hierarchy talks about hell.

My father still kept at it. Since I was the rightful heir, I was to be treated as such and formally introduced to the court in a formal gathering.

I had some fun with it. I cornered some rural noble I never even heard of, soiling her one good pair of shoes and insulting all her pitiful ancestors. She bawled her eyes out and made a terrible scene as she fled. It's not like she can do anything else about it.

But I made do with all the rest. I could follow through with that ritual and say, "Yes, I am a good Empress, I can play by the rules and you all can trust me to be good and leave most of you alone." Most of them, I think, believed it.

China was coming out of its long trouble; wealthy enough to be worth taking, but not strong enough to be impossible.

As it happens every few years, some distant relative thinks he can take the throne - my birthright - for himself. He lost, of course, like everybody else does, but that's a sign that they lack organization and any strength of will. If he gets the throne he's right. If he's out of it, he's wrong.

My father came back from the campaign, sweating like a dog. I asked him what was troubling him. Of course, he said everything, he had no filter. That was useful.

He said the animals all stared at him like they were watching him. Like someone was commanding them.

In a rage, he dismissed his former lover, over embezzlement. And that was the reason he had used. Stealing from the treasury.

That, and a botched medical procedure with my mother. Esclarmonde had come crying to me, and I had to assure her of the best.

He never suspected anything.

The world itself was still in tumult, with the only constant being change. So many petty lords fighting for each scrap of land that can feed animals or grow crops.

Villages disappeared overnight, with no dogs or rats in the streets. Just empty houses, untouched, with their meals left rotting on the table.

And all this revolved around the authority of the imperial throne like the sun around Mount Meru. Not the Jerusalem Raj, not the Third Han, not the fields of death and poverty of the distant west. Here. The center of the world, the connection between heaven and earth.

My father, in his own way, tried to prepare me for it. He didn't know what he was doing most of the time, but he tried.

Other places disintegrate on their own. This time he didn't even have to send the army. He just asked them to come back and join the empire and they did.

Half-built temples and monuments to kings gone in an instant. That is their destiny. Mine will be something greater. I am chosen for this moment.

My father spent his time talking to the peasants. I never understood that. He wanted to know more about his kingdom, he said. Well, sure. But he wanted to know more about the people and their lives. I mean, really? What good is that going to do me? A few peasants die at twenty of bad water or in childbirth and are shoveled into unmarked graves and the vultures eat them. If they were supposed to be something else or to tilt the axis of world history, or creators of something they would have done something.

He looked tired and shook his head when I said this. Soon after, he died in his bed.

I'll take it from here, old man.

=============================

One night, I had uneasy dreams. I felt constricted, unable to wake, as if I were held down. I threw off my bedsheets and went to the kitchens to get myself something to eat. After rummaging through the cabinets, I changed my mind and went back.

I heard the low rumble of chanting. As I returned to my bedroom, I opened the door and saw them. About seventy people, all wearing the five-pointed crown and gold-woven robes and some with armor. Some were strong and exuded authority and power, some were weak and timid, just wearing a costume. Some had faces marked with scars, some were softer and more delicate with lives of ease. It was all the emperors of Tibet before me.

Nyatri Tsenpo was there on my bed, with his webbed hands. Songtsen Gampo was somewhere near the back, head down, silent, dejected. The two Omade kings clung to each other, usurpers fearing any revenge from the rest.

I felt sweat break out on my forehead and I opened my mouth in shock and could barely speak. I heard only the cold winds of fate outside.

"What must I do?" I stammered out. "What do you want from me?"

At this, Gyalyum the Benevolent, her face lashed open with scars, stepped forward, and the others parted before her, some bowing and gesturing in respect. She raised her hand, indicating that she alone would answer.

What did she say? That was for me alone.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 9, 2019

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

:allears: Oh, I can't wait to see how she fucks up Tibet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
So it begins.

So it ends.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
God, what a loving cliffhanger! Lasya is so much and I'm utterly fascinated by her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ferrovanadium posted:

:allears: Oh, I can't wait to see how she fucks up Tibet.

Genius, strong, master strategist ruler, I think you mean "how she's going to conquer China and everything will be great"

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
NOW we should invade China. Taking on the Dragon, no matter the chances of success, seems exactly like the kind of thing that Lasya would do.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
This will be Glorious! Dread Mother! Dark Queen! Mistress Between Heaven and Earth!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Holy hell, she is a monster. In more ways than one. :stonklol:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:regd08:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Invade China; die a legend.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The world will bend the knee.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow mister succession flavor text, let's not get too optimistic.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
:yeshaha:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i dont play these games so im not sure what all those numbers on our ruler mean but from how y'all are reacting i think its safe to assume that they are good numbers

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SpruceZeus posted:

i dont play these games so im not sure what all those numbers on our ruler mean but from how y'all are reacting i think its safe to assume that they are good numbers
Well the numbers are good, yes, but uh

There's a catch

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

which has to do with being a horrible demon child from hell i assume.

dont really know what that means in mechanical terms but... this should certainly prove to be interesting.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SpruceZeus posted:

For reference, a 10 in a stat is fairly good. 20 is amazing, marking you as a master of whatever that thing is. The game gives Ghenghis Khan something like a 25 in Martial.

Our beloved empress has nothing below a 17, and a 30 in Intrigue.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 9, 2019

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

SpruceZeus posted:

dont really know what that means in mechanical terms but... this should certainly prove to be interesting.

:emptyquote:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Ferrovanadium posted:

:allears: Oh, I can't wait to see how she fucks up the world.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
She needs to become high priestess of the cult of the evil one. And invade China, of course.

She's going to end up getting cancer and dying at 25.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Traits: Brilliant Strategist, Genius, Strong, Uncouth, Craven, Stubborn, Cruel, Zealous, Erudite, Deceitful, Patient, Lustful and Possessed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I could really do with Byzantium LP coming back soon, seeing as how my country has decided to dive headlong into "hahaha, we all want facism".

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 53: 1362 to 1370 - Tsenmo Purgyal Lasya 'the Holy'

As told by the empress

My enthronement was very pleasant. The ceremonial washing, then the offering of symbolic goods to be blessed and bolts of silk, the recitation of names. That idiot priest nearly dropped the five-pointed crown but I caught it, leaping up from my seat as I did. That must be a favorable signal from the gods.

You all need this. You all have doubts and uncertainty about every empress and everything about your life, but you know there is someone who must act with certainty and sweep aside any last fear. Someone that you will swear your loyalty to. That's me.

I saw the foreign dignitaries in the crowd as they made their gestures of respect. The Han in their silken jackets, the Mongolians with their knotted felt hats and decorated boots, the priest-queen of the Persians, our vassal. And all the others who didn't matter.

It is right for me to be here. I've known to the depths of my soul this is where I should be. My dreams... I feel assured as to my place in the world and what I heard Gyalyum the Benevolent tell me I shall never forget.

I went out and made my procession through the cheering crowds and the army. It went on for hours. It was so beautiful I nearly cried.

Then everything began.

All the other kingdoms of the world tremble and wonder who would be next to face our wrath. Why not. Why not. We have half the world already.

After that, some business. I have to reward those people who are most loyal. My mother convinced my father to lock her up after that messy business, but now nobody can really stop me.

Esclarmonde would drink a pot of ink if I'd asked her to. But I won't. Loyalty that intense; that undying; that is valuable.

But first, I move south. There's always a little bit that thinks they can get away from us. The lords of Madurai have their own foolish dreams.

I did not need to bring the whole army, just the Mongolian Guard and some of the Carantanians that the Deccans used to employ. They're good warriors, though I cannot get over their bizarre hair color.

The enemy flee before us. It is not really a battle, so much bringing a yak in to be slaughtered before a feast.

I have bled that animal long enough.

The people say I am blessed, divine. I would agree with them.

That was good practice, although I will need to get the army ready for anything bigger; more suitable to my ambitions.

On the road back to Lhasa, I thought of the distant past and the ancestors. Would it be worth reaching back to the further past, before the annals even spoke, and to reach back to Songtsen Gampo?

Hahaha! Of course not. I need to get out and settle this revolt. Maybe in Gyalyum the Benevolent's time they were fierce warriors.

In them, I saw nothing to admire. They broke at the sight of us. Maybe the tougher ones had all gone to Egypt or stayed in the Tarim Basin with the Mongols.

I do not enjoy talking to the church people, as necessary as it is and as important as they are. They are given to rumors about me and other small-minded concerns. Esclarmonde can say the things I want to, and in a way to make the priests and conjurers agree with me.

I need to hit something.

But anyway, I return to the ingeniousness of the law that Gyalyum has made. The emperor and his or her troops protect the church, and the church grants me moral sanctity for anything that I may do. And we both say together that we protect the people from the chaos and disorder of the rest of the world. It is the deal we make to preserve ourselves and to save ourselves from the chaos of the west.

I am inviolable, and any crimes or misdemeanors can be blamed on the vassal kings or local bullies.

Well, unless the gods themselves have anything else in mind. Gods make emperors and empresses.

There are other things I must first know, other levers I must grasp.

I forge the empire itself into a sword.

I'm not the only person here, of course. The other two are the Mongolians and the Han. The Mongolians move west....west? What is worth heading west for? Why? Who would board a sinking ship to take a few scraps of rotten bread from the empty stores?

I must determine any patterns or signs that the divinities have set out for me. Only for me.

The stars wobble, the constellations are moving out of order. The heavenly order is shifted. Some new entity emerges onto the world, I would suspect.

Of all people, it is the warrior Timur. One of my best. He has set out on his own, gathered an army of Mongolians, cut up the vassal kingdom of Transoxiana, and marches west as well. To make a new empire, he said. So be it. So long as our interests do not conflict.

My ambassadors tell me that the fortress-city of Venice has fallen. The Western Invaders have been driven off of the western peninsula, and the surviving nobility fled across the ocean on their great ships.

They were fearsome conquerors in their time, and the kingdom they left behind must have been wealthy indeed to send them all this way. But their time here is over. This is a new era in the history of the world. An old empire is gone, and someday a new one may take its place.

My sister Kunga grew worried over my health, thinking I had spent too much time in my observation and not enough in my imperial obligations. It was nothing. I am well. I'll outlive her too.

I have decided that I must head west myself. It was all a sign. I will go to the kingdom of Arabia,

ruled by the followers of the Peacock Angel, to find the secret wisdom stored there.

I stopped to see the priest-king of Persia and Mesopotamia. He was carried everywhere in his sedan chair and he barely moved, but I could see the fear in his eyes. He pleaded with me to stay, for my health, how much I was needed.

What, do you think that flattery stopped me? I went ahead and got the book myself. Some things you cannot rely on other people to do. You can trust yourself alone.

I have seen wonders. The secrets of life and death and cyclical mortality.

The esoteric knowledge is everything I had hoped for and more.

If anything, I feel more assured about my destiny. When I sleep I'd sleepwalk towards it.

As the followers of Timur have destroyed the last of the Seljuks and move west, so I follow my own fate.

The stars have been good to me, but I must set these charts aside and move to other things.

The first duty of every empress.

I know there are moving shadows in the dark and those who would want to cut me down. Fine. I will survive them all. But then... Then...

My priests tell me of another plague. Perhaps as violent and chaotic as the catastrophe of two centuries ago.

Death waves its mace across the western provinces of the Han -- yet we are untouched from the distances of the mountains and the desert.

My dreams yet give me a sense of urgency.

As laws crumble and nomads circle each other in the steppe -- I know. I know. I myself can do this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:psyduck: I no longer know what is going on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:yeshaha:

It begins.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tap into the very cycles of nature itself to tear the world asunder and remake it in your image!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Aliens? Are aliens getting involved? Have we moved into a Stellaris player's game?